River's Edge Development (Playland Park)

Including Iowa metro counties.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

nativeomahan
County Board

Re: River's Edge Development (Playland Park)

Post by nativeomahan »

I won't get my hope up until there is a ground breaking. Maybe not even then. Lol
Garrett
Planning Board

Post by Garrett »

nativeomahan wrote:I won't get my hope up until there is a ground breaking.  Maybe not even then.  Lol
I feel pretty good about Noddle. They've been good about following through on their plans.
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Even though 10K SF isn't a ton having a tenant signed up will almost guarentee that somethin gets built.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

The city council approved the redevelopment plans Monday night.

Jay Noddle: "The next step will be to seek development agreements with the city, he added. Work could start in summer 2015, with at least one of the office buildings and perhaps some of the residential units open by 2016"
icejammer
County Board

Post by icejammer »

City must 'think big' for Playland Park
The Council Bluffs City Council, in a 4-1 vote Monday evening, approved the contracts for services involving the construction of the Playland Park project.

The council authorized Mayor Matt Walsh to execute an agreement with the Council Bluffs office of HDR Inc. for engineering services for the project. A similar agreement was approved with Omaha-based Noddle Development Co. for the implementation of the project. . . .
"Destiny is not a matter of chance, it is a matter of choice; it is not a thing to be waited for, it is a thing to be achieved."

--William Jennings Bryan
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Sculpture going up today.

skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Is that the finished product? It doesn't really look like the rendering on the previous page.
thenewguy
County Board

Post by thenewguy »

The other day there was some loon outside of my son's school, trying to get parents to sign a petition to put the development on the ballot to be put to a vote. He said, "the city is $40M in debt, and they want to give corporate welfare to spur development we don't need. I go to all the meetings, and they want to shut me up, but I am 270 lbs and they aren't gonna push me around!" Instantly, he lost credibility, as well as my attention, because he was misleading the less informed. It will be good for the city, and it will help to improve the gateway to the city when coming from Omaha. He had commentary about the city council being "5 people who just want to build high rise apartments and raise taxes." I cant wait to see this get developed, if for not other reason than the fact that guy was an |expletive| hole.
Go Cubs Go
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Opposing views on road money
The planned Playland Park development, a $100 million residential/commercial investment in western Council Bluffs across the Missouri River from downtown Omaha, could be in jeopardy because of a citizen’s petition opposing $2 million in bond money to build the roads for the development, Mayor Matt Walsh said Tuesday.

The signatures had to come from people living within the Council Bluffs city limits, according to Walsh. A petition with 612 signatures has been presented to the city, it was mentioned at Monday’s City Council meeting. To be valid, a minimum of 610 signatures from Council Bluffs residents is needed, Walsh said, meaning three or more nonresident signatures would cancel the petition.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

So they want to hold a special election to vote on the city putting in infrastructure here? Am I reading this wrong or is that borderline the dumbest thing ever.

Also that comment at the end about serving interests across the river is a head scratcher. If anything a development like this will pull a tax base from the Nebraska side of the river wether it be people wanting a more urban setting in the more liberal and lower taxed Iowa to simply having more riverfront options than Omaha.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

iamjacobm wrote:So they want to hold a special election to vote on the city putting in infrastructure here?  Am I reading this wrong or is that borderline the dumbest thing ever.

Also that comment at the end about serving interests across the river is a head scratcher.  If anything a development like this will pull a tax base from the Nebraska side of the river wether it be people wanting a more urban setting in the more liberal and lower taxed Iowa to simply having more riverfront options than Omaha.
I agree. Coming from CB, I can say this is one of the dumb % of the population that doesn't want anything to change. They never better themselves and therefore don't understand that you need to improve areas (infrastructure wise) before land can be developed sometimes. Every city does it. I hope this doesn't put a dent in the development plans. That area has been under-utilized for the past 10-15 years. At least if they aren't going to do anything with the land, I wish they would return it to soccer fields and park land, rather than allowing it to sit vacant with a giant hole in the middle of it.
icejammer
County Board

Post by icejammer »

iamjacobm wrote:So they want to hold a special election to vote on the city putting in infrastructure here?  Am I reading this wrong or is that borderline the dumbest thing ever.

Also that comment at the end about serving interests across the river is a head scratcher.  If anything a development like this will pull a tax base from the Nebraska side of the river wether it be people wanting a more urban setting in the more liberal and lower taxed Iowa to simply having more riverfront options than Omaha.
What you have to remember is that Jeff Jorgensen is the county Tea Party, I mean GOP chairperson and that John Blue is a failed GOP candidate who ran on, you guessed it, cutting infrastructure spending.
"Destiny is not a matter of chance, it is a matter of choice; it is not a thing to be waited for, it is a thing to be achieved."

--William Jennings Bryan
GetUrban
Planning Board

Post by GetUrban »

That is so stupid. The new property tax revenue generated by a $100 million development would easily pay the cost of the infrastructure upgrades over a fairly short time, I would think.
He said "They are some big, ugly red brick buildings"
...and then they were gone.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

GetUrban wrote: I would think.
Yes, but how many politicians (or want to be politicians) think for themselves, but just follow standard party rhetoric, regardless of how much sense another argument makes, or will oppose a rival party's policies just because they don't want their rival to make a sensible contribution to their social fabric and get credit for an accomplishment.
:rant:
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Good news here:

Petition against Playland project fails
The Playland Park project can now move forward as planned.
At a special Council Bluffs City Council meeting Wednesday afternoon, a citizen’s petition questioning the use of $2 million in general obligation bond money to build the roads in the development was declared invalid because it did not have the required number of eligible signatures.

However, upon review, first by the City Clerk’s staff and then Wade’s own staff, it was determined the petition fell short of the required number of signatures from eligible voters residing within Council Bluffs, Wade said. He said those who signed the petition were also required to put down their addresses.
“A few addresses were incomplete, and at least five (of the petition signatures) had no addresses at all,” Wade said, adding that more than a dozen signatures came from people living outside the city.
Seth
Parks & Recreation

Post by Seth »

I'm sure this is not the end of foolish obstruction for this project, but it's good to see it's not going to cause any more difficulty at this stage.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

from a World Herald article today:
Among those is the planned River’s Edge development on the former Playland Park, which is expected to bring about $100 million in business and residential investment to the Iowa side of the riverfront. City officials expect grading to begin this summer.
Omaha_Gabe
Human Relations

Post by Omaha_Gabe »

River's Edge project moving forward

http://www.nonpareilonline.com/news/loc ... 93479.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The Playland Park redevelopment continues moving forward.

“It’s going to be a great project with between $100 million and $200 million in new assessed valuation,” said Council Bluffs Mayor Matt Walsh.
The design features a living, working and retail environment with a park-fronting piazza and a “porch” that proves a formal and active link to the Bob Kerrey Pedestrian Bridge. Situated adjacent to the piazza and porch will be two medium-sized office buildings overlooking the riverfront and two mid-rise condo towers that sit atop a pedestal base that contains community space, retail uses and townhomes.

Further to the east, apartments, townhouses and mixed-use buildings will line the new streets with the hope to encourage retailers to open shop there. Parking will be available on-street, in-surface parking lots tucked behind buildings and in parking structures.

“The intent is to start soon after July 1,” Walsh said. “It will be the initialization of the redevelopment of West Broadway.”
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Not many new details, but glad to hear that plans keep moving on.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

This will reall make our riverfront top notch. Hopfully Omaha can join in with some improvements to get a lot of momentum on both sides of the bridge.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

City approves preliminary plans for space
"You’ll start seeing a lot of grading taking place and, within a couple of months, you’ll see actual construction,” said Omaha-based developer Jay Noddle. “Around Labor Day, people should start seeing actual construction beyond the grading.”

Beyond the grading, construction will start on what Noddle called the “signature building of the development,” a four-story office building providing 65,000 square feet of space.
An adjacent parking garage will start around that time with completion date on both being the fall of 2016, he said. He said it is hoped the other office building, which will have three to seven floors, will be under construction at that time.
GetUrban
Planning Board

Post by GetUrban »

:thumb: Noddle :yes:
He said "They are some big, ugly red brick buildings"
...and then they were gone.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

GetUrban wrote: :thumb: Noddle   :yes:
+1
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

City Council voted 3-1 yesterday to rezone the land, paving the way for the first phase of construction to begin.
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

Last week when I was over there it was a little hard to imagine all that fitting there. But given the land area it has no choice but to be dense. And those units with the views to the west will have the best seat in the metro. Light shows every night, skyline, river, BK, movies, concerts, sunsets, fireworks...
15-17, 26, 32
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

Guest on GrowOmaha said the development east of the levy was making progress. Expected site prep in the second half of the year and possibly construction by years end. Said they were very close to signing the tenant and developer on the office portion, 4-5 stories.
15-17, 26, 32
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

Also this would tie into an entire overhaul of the freeway and the freeway complex. Including east bound and westbound access to the exit for play land park.
15-17, 26, 32
thenewguy
County Board

Post by thenewguy »

I wasnt able to snag a picture of it, but they have a sign with an architects rendering of one of the proposed buildings for playland complete with "noddle company" on the bottom. Looks pretty good.
Go Cubs Go
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

15-17, 26, 32
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

This project is just as important as anything in Nebraska. This will help to boost the riverfront activity so much.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Love that rendering. If they can do anything even remotely close to what they have accomplished at Aksarben Village, it will be fantastic.
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

You can see they rendered the new freeway layout with access to Broadway...

15-17, 26, 32
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Wow, this looks great! Can't wait to see it get off the ground!
BRoss
IT Director

Post by BRoss »

Playland Park being called one of most unique development projects in IA history
KETV wrote:Playland Park is being called one of the most unique development projects in Iowa history.

The story of what will eventually happen to Playland Park begins about 7 miles to the West, on the other side of the Missouri River in Aksarben Village.
The park is still an empty parking lot, but there's an updated timeline for construction, which was helped along with millions of dollars in TIF financing. The master plan begins with dirt work after Labor Day.

"Then shortly after that, probably before Halloween, we'll try and get the first few buildings started," Noddle said. "By spring of 2016, the community will see structures there."

Structures like the flagship building. There will also be apartments, condos, commercial spaces with room for storefront shops.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Here is the newest rendering from the story:
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

The new alignment. Broadway will start at the rebuilt exit for the River's Edge area and converge under the freeway complex..

15-17, 26, 32
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »