Lumberyard District (Downtown Millard)

West Omaha, Sarpy and Nebraska metro counties.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Coyote
City Council

Re: Millard Town Square (Old Millard Lumber Site - 135th St)

Post by Coyote »

Trying to orient this 'proposed' plan... The round-about is 135th & Cotton? Right is going SE toward Walgreens on Q St.?
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Coyote wrote:Trying to orient this 'proposed' plan...
I know and the sad thing is you can see a real map in the photos on that link, but they never posted a photo of it.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

iamjacobm wrote:Image
Looking at a real map, I assume Millard ave is in the lower left and Q Street is in the upper right based on 132nd Streets odd curve right near Q.

That would probably make the Roundabout on Potwin St at 135th.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Here is how I see that rendering orientated.

Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

That was the way I think it is oriented, given that funky triangle in the upper right.
I guess the far left doesn't show Millard Ave., but has a business? facing the street with their surface parking in the rear.
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

RNcyanide wrote:Holy |expletive|.

My thoughts exactly.
No posts exist for this topic
daveoma
Parks & Recreation

Post by daveoma »

Looks really nice...what is that large building on the left? It looks perhaps like a commercial building.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

daveoma wrote:Looks really nice...what is that large building on the left? It looks perhaps like a commercial building.
It is all proposed, there is nothing concrete in the plans as far as we know... Yes, it looks as if there is a commercial building along Millard Ave between 134th and 135th with parking in the back, but again, it's just a conceptual drawing.
Omababe
Planning Board

Post by Omababe »

Wow, looks almost like another Aksarben Village. (Midtown Crossing?)

Do these guys have the capital to pull this off?
bigredmed
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed »

Drove through there today. As an old Millard Lumber employee, it sure is sad to see all that demolition.
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

bigredmed wrote:Drove through there today.  As an old Millard Lumber employee, it sure is sad to see all that demolition.
I know what you mean. I grew up not too far away and got really used to it.
When fortune smiles on something as violent and ugly as revenge, it seems proof like no other that not only does God exist, you're doing his will.

The Bride
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Is this going to be called "The Lumberyard District"?
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

I saw that in the agenda too.
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

I wonder what the time table is on this thing. I mean, an actual timetable, not a Shamrock time table. I bet we're still a long ways away?
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Coyote
City Council

Re: Lumberyard District (Downtown Millard)

Post by Coyote »

Looking NW from 135th & Potwin

Looking NW from 135th & Potwin

Looking SE from 135th & Potwin

Looking SE towards Q St. from Walgreens

mcarch
Library Board

Post by mcarch »

About time! I think whomever the new developer will be, they should consider trying to obtain outlying businesses and incorporating them into the plan. Broker a deal per say. We'll buy your building and let you have free rent for a year after ours is built.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

http://www.omaha.com/money/major-commer ... f714c.html
Cindy Gonzalez OWH wrote:Called the Lumberyard District, the 15.5-acre site formerly owned by Millard Lumber is to see new construction start this summer. To be included on the recently cleared property near 135th and Q Streets: two commercial buildings (40,000 square feet of office space; 20,000 square feet of retail) and five apartment buildings (338 units).
cdub
Parks & Recreation

Post by cdub »

Nobody around here really shares the sadness for this mess all going away. For once, the neighborhood is supportive of redevelopment.

Also, this isnt much like AK village because its basically all MF, not mixed. The only real commercial or mixed use building is the one facing Millard Ave.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

I don't think anyone has posted this yet:
[BBvideo 560,340][/BBvideo]
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Nice find skins!
Millard Avenue. The site, which was vacated in 2008, spans 12 acres and will become a new multi-million dollar development. The site will mostly include multi-family housing, some office and retail space at both entrances to the development, as well as outdoor community spaces. The development will consist of seven residential buildings which will be a mixture of three and four stories, totaling approximately 544,000 s.f. The housing units will include 338 bed consisting of a combination of one- and two-bedrooms. Two additional buildings will include 38,000 s.f. of office space and 19,000 s.f. of retail. Ample parking will include 600 residential stalls and two commercial lots providing a total of 295 stalls. The development will be completed in one phase, and construction is scheduled to be finished in 2017.
I was wondering if they were going to bury that ditch that runs along 134th St., but I guess that are not planning on covering that up...

And out of 554k sf of space, only 19k will be retail?
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

I'm super stoked for this. I hope they extend some of the development to the southwest some, like where the old gas station is. Also, I am surprised that they left the buildings behind Walgreen's, like where Millard Sewing, Richter Real Estate, and the Snack Shack or whatever it's called.
When fortune smiles on something as violent and ugly as revenge, it seems proof like no other that not only does God exist, you're doing his will.

The Bride
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

Is include "yard" in developments names becoming the new "Pointe"?

And a 2017 completion date...they're going to be moving pretty dang quick then. I was hoping to see more retail though...just a little bit more.
Garrett
Planning Board

Post by Garrett »

For those of you concerned with lack of retail:

Not every development has to have ground floor retail haha. I'm sure that this could certainly spark new retail on Millard Avenue, though.
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

Garrett wrote:For those of you concerned with lack of retail:

Not every development has to have ground floor retail haha. I'm sure that this could certainly spark new retail on Millard Avenue, though.
I just envisioned it having a bit more retail, not necessarily ground floor by any means, but I would have thought this would be a bit more than a large housing project.

That said, you're right, hopefully this is a catalyst for that entire stretch there.
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

I don't think they're wasting any time on this. I drove by this morning and they have equipment on site and they are ripping up the old concrete and asphalt.

The Bride
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

I think this was mentioned before, but are they planning on keeping the brick on 135th st? It is really hard to tell in the renderings provided so far.
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

skinzfan23 wrote:I think this was mentioned before, but are they planning on keeping the brick on 135th st?  It is really hard to tell in the renderings provided so far.
If they do, there is a lot of repair work to do. There are many large cracks, potholes and crumbling curbs to contend with. When driving through from Millard Ave to Q St, you have to hug the center line or your car will get pulled over to the side by a drop on the edge of the street and into a pothole.

The Bride
bigredmed
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed »

Lose the bricks and use some of them to build some public space in the area or to brick along the drainage ditch on the east side of the property. With all the water flowing through it these days, might even be cool to grow some minnows or gold fish in the stream as a little water feature. Could use some of the brick to build something along the stream.
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

bigredmed wrote:Lose the bricks and use some of them to build some public space in the area or to brick along the drainage ditch on the east side of the property.  With all the water flowing through it these days, might even be cool to grow some minnows or gold fish in the stream as a little water feature.  Could use some of the brick to build something along the stream.
Good idea.

At the end of the day, I bet they'll pull them out, or they may leave the bricks in the middle of the road and repair the pavement on the sides to make it conducive for parking.

The Bride
GetUrban
Planning Board

Post by GetUrban »

Looks like a great project for the Millard area. They were wise to use the "Lumberyard" name. Even those who never lived in the area still kind of have lumberyard ingrained in their memory since Millard Lumber was there for so long. It's good to keep that identity.

They'll probably just pull-up the bricks, put in concrete curbs where needed, re-compact, and re-lay them again.
He said "They are some big, ugly red brick buildings"
...and then they were gone.
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

GetUrban wrote:Looks like a great project for the Millard area. They were wise to use the "Lumberyard" name. Even those who never lived in the area still kind of have lumberyard ingrained in their memory since Millard Lumber was there for so long. It's good to keep that identity.

They'll probably just pull-up the bricks, put in concrete curbs where needed,  re-compact, and re-lay them again.
That would be nice. It would be a shame for the bar named "Brickstreet Tavern" to no longer be on a brick street. I tried to do a quick search for brick substitutes to put in the street, but found nothing. I know that in some parts of the OM, they use wood blocks instead of brick.

The Bride
Trips
Library Board

Post by Trips »

"Among other things, the developer also would rehabilitate the adjacent stretch of 135th Street, keeping it a brick surface."
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

Trips wrote:"Among other things, the developer also would rehabilitate the adjacent stretch of 135th Street, keeping it a brick surface."
:yes: :clap:

The Bride
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Glad to hear.
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

Trips wrote:"Among other things, the developer also would rehabilitate the adjacent stretch of 135th Street, keeping it a brick surface."

Ah good, I'm glad to read this.
Seth
Parks & Recreation

Post by Seth »

I'm surprised, since it's lot more expensive to rehab a brick street than build a new asphalt street, or even concrete. Labor isn't nearly as cheap as it was when all the brick streets were first built by hand...
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

Seth wrote:
I'm surprised, since it's lot more expensive to rehab a brick street than build a new asphalt street, or even concrete.  Labor isn't nearly as cheap as it was when all the brick streets were first built by hand...

Perhaps this will save on the labor costs.

The Bride
Seth
Parks & Recreation

Post by Seth »

RNcyanide wrote:
Seth wrote:
I'm surprised, since it's lot more expensive to rehab a brick street than build a new asphalt street, or even concrete.  Labor isn't nearly as cheap as it was when all the brick streets were first built by hand...

Perhaps this will save on the labor costs.
Wow, that is impressive. It still takes manual labor to stack the pavers, but sure must be faster than placing them on the street manually.
thenewguy
County Board

Post by thenewguy »

Its funny, i thought that was a photoshop job, but it is actually a real machine. There are videos on youtube and everything.
Go Cubs Go