MECA Business News (CLCO/TDAPO)

News and releases from metro area businesses

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

bigredmed
Parks & Recreation

Re: MECA Business News (CLCO/TDAPO)

Post by bigredmed »

jessep28 wrote:Offering Wi-Fi would probably help with bandwidth congestion. I highly doubt that voice and SMS are what's causing service issues.
They would do that and charge you rates that would embarrass a hotel manager.
guitarguy
Parks & Recreation

Post by guitarguy »

Is this really necessary? Typically when I'm at the Clink I am there for an event.. not to sit on my phone the whole time. :yes:
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

guitarguy wrote:Is this really necessary? Typically when I'm at the Clink I am there for an event.. not to sit on my phone the whole time. :yes:
I think so. concerts never start on time, sporting events always have down time, and they always have trade shows and conventions.

May be when its all working people will actually show up to sporting events on time. :lol:
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

A lot of smartphones are always pulling down data for various background processes.
Verbum Domini Manet in Aeternum
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

guitarguy wrote:Is this really necessary? Typically when I'm at the Clink I am there for an event.. not to sit on my phone the whole time. :yes:
When I was at the Xavier game, I tried to pull up their record and schedule, scores around the league and other simple info that my apps didn't have coverage for.
Coyote
City Council

Re: Century Link Center Omaha Remodel

Post by Coyote »

MECA profits up by 30 percent in past year
Erin Golden:World-Herald staff writer wrote:The organization plans to spend $10 million from its cash reserve account this year to make a series of significant updates to the CenturyLink Center.
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

They should finally expand out the convention section.
15-17, 26, 32
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Coyote wrote:
Erin Golden:World-Herald staff writer wrote: The organization plans to spend $10 million from its cash reserve account this year to make a series of significant updates to the CenturyLink Center.
I couldn't decided if that's what they just spent or if they are spending an additional 10 million. They don't run on a calendar years so I think the scoreboard technically this year...

Wonder what they would upgrade next?
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Hi Mark. That includes some of the things they've already done in this fiscal year: new scoreboard and video control system and concession stand improvements, among them.
Erin
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Looks like my assumption was right. As awesome as it would be, I just couldn't imagine another 10 million!
almighty_tuna
City Council

Post by almighty_tuna »

Coyote wrote:
When I was at the Xavier game, I tried to pull up their record and schedule, scores around the league and other simple info that my apps didn't have coverage for.
Another sold out game and another night with crappy reception all along the riverfront, not just inside the arena. Phone calls work, but data is useless.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

I thought it was going to be a surprise, but the Clink and BKPB are both all blue already in preparation for tomorrow's games...
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

For CenturyLink Center
 to remain in the black will take hustle, 2 new reports suggest

http://www.omaha.com/news/metro/for-cen ... 99523.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
By Erin Golden / World-Herald staff writer wrote:The authors of both studies praised MECA’s professionalism and care for the facility but noted that the organization’s work is getting more difficult.
By Erin Golden / World-Herald staff writer wrote:“The management team has done a good job of operating the convention center in a businesslike manner,” Sieger said. “Having operating income versus a deficit — that’s very rare for a convention center.”

Both studies suggested that MECA may need to do more in the future to offer special deals to secure conventions and traveling acts.
NovakOmaha
Planning Board

Post by NovakOmaha »

I'm sure they do but I wonder why Clink doesn't get more trade shows. It's easy money and there are tons of them around the country. Omaha is right in the middle of the country and who wouldn't want the airport & hotels to be within minutes of the trade show? the ones I go to range from Dallas to Columbus, Oh, to Nashville to bigger and midsize cities. they aren't all in Vegas and Orlando. Just wondering. The CC is the perfect size for it & as it is connected to the arena it's very competitive.
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

NovakOmaha wrote:I'm sure they do but I wonder why Clink doesn't get more trade shows.  It's easy money and there are tons of them around the country.  Omaha is right in the middle of the country and who wouldn't want the airport & hotels to be within minutes of the trade show?  the ones I go to range from Dallas to Columbus, Oh, to Nashville to bigger and midsize cities.  they aren't all in Vegas and Orlando.  Just wondering.  The CC is the perfect size for it & as it is connected to the arena it's very competitive.
I think the Marriott being built next to the CLC will definitely assist in both getting these shows, but also other conventions. It DOES surprise me that there aren't more, but we'll see what the future holds.

As far as that Omaha World Herald piece... what was the point of writing that? Yes, MECA will have to work hard to attract conventions and concerts...how is that different than any other time?
No posts exist for this topic
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

MadMartin8 wrote:
NovakOmaha wrote:I'm sure they do but I wonder why Clink doesn't get more trade shows.  It's easy money and there are tons of them around the country.  Omaha is right in the middle of the country and who wouldn't want the airport & hotels to be within minutes of the trade show?  the ones I go to range from Dallas to Columbus, Oh, to Nashville to bigger and midsize cities.  they aren't all in Vegas and Orlando.  Just wondering.  The CC is the perfect size for it & as it is connected to the arena it's very competitive.
I think the Marriott being built next to the CLC will definitely assist in both getting these shows, but also other conventions. It DOES surprise me that there aren't more, but we'll see what the future holds.

As far as that Omaha World Herald piece... what was the point of writing that? Yes, MECA will have to work hard to attract conventions and concerts...how is that different than any other time?
Two studies came in recently. Couple that with the hotel announcement and the CWS and the general hate for MECA in this city I am sure they figured it would get plenty of hits.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

I spoke with a sales director this week at a DT Omaha hotel and we talked about this. She said Omaha is still a tough sale nationally. Many question the entertainment value around town. She claimed it's less about available hotel rooms around the arena and more of the perception of Omaha, and how much fun it would be to come here for a convention/trade show. An uphill battle against more established markets.

Greg
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

Greg S wrote:
I spoke with a sales director this week at a DT Omaha hotel and we talked about this.  She said Omaha is still a tough sale nationally.  Many question the entertainment value around town.  She claimed it's less about available hotel rooms around the arena and more of the perception of Omaha, and how much fun it would be to come here for a convention/trade show.  An uphill battle against more established markets.

Greg
See, all the more reason to reestablish the inland sea that was part of Nebraska in the cretaceous period.
NovakOmaha
Planning Board

Post by NovakOmaha »

Greg S wrote:
I spoke with a sales director this week at a DT Omaha hotel and we talked about this.  She said Omaha is still a tough sale nationally.  Many question the entertainment value around town.  She claimed it's less about available hotel rooms around the arena and more of the perception of Omaha, and how much fun it would be to come here for a convention/trade show.  An uphill battle against more established markets.

Greg
What a crock.

First, I go to a ton of trade shows. Most are in cities Omaha's size and smaller. It's all about the facility & hotel rooms. Food & booze are just as plentiful in Omaha within a mile of the Clink as any city Omaha's size and many that are larger.

Second, the sales director needs to quit making excuses and consider another line of work. That's a cop out. Where I come from you hire winners and producers. She sounds like neither. I know that sounds harsh but I just don't buy her excuses.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

We get a lot of business people here ever week for one reason or another. When I am at the gallery and I can tell someone is here from out of town, I always ask about where they are from and why they are here. They always say that Omaha is a great place and the ones that have never been here before always say how surprised they are about how great Omaha is.
NovakOmaha
Planning Board

Post by NovakOmaha »

That is exactly my point Brad. For trade shows, conferences, training programs, etc., Omaha is perfect. Coast to coast flights, in the middle of the country, plenty of hotel options, plenty of food options, Clink has convention center and arena combined, affordable hotels (especially compared to many other cities) and on and on. I do to a ton of trade shows all over the country. Absolutely zero reason for Omaha not to be incredibly competitive for this business.

Maybe UNO or Metro need to offer hospitality marketing courses. Sounds like there is a need for salespeople in Omaha.
ILexpat
New to the Neighborhood

Post by ILexpat »

NovakOmaha wrote: Maybe UNO or Metro need to offer hospitality marketing courses. Sounds like there is a need for salespeople in Omaha.
I was thinking the same thing. Sounds like the marketers don't have much faith in their product.
bigredmed
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed »

In my area of medicine, the shows are either getting so small that they don't need (and cant afford) a place like the Clink, or are too big (and only getting bigger) for the Clink.

American Society of Hematology is 25,000 people. It is tiny compared to AAP at 30,000 or the Cardiologists at 50,000. Even the dental groups are just too big for the Clink. On the other side, there are small groups like the American Society of Ped Hem Onc that celebrated last spring that 1000 people attended. When we could fit our whole group into the hotel and the NBA draft combine could go on next to us, you know that the Clink is not going to show up on their radar screens.

As for Omaha being a tough sell, I have to tell you that the answer to that question is yes. When we get people here, we get good feedback, and the people have a nice time, but the image of Omaha outside of people who have been here, is crappy. They would rather pay twice as much for a crappy room in Chicago than go here. Another issue to consider in the image category, is that Postjudice is a factor here. If a meeting is held in some other second tier city that turns out bad, your meeting planners are going to be so unwilling to go to a second that Omaha could be the best city in the world, and they won't consider it.
Uffda
County Board

Post by Uffda »

bigredmed wrote:In my area of medicine, the shows are either getting so small that they don't need (and cant afford) a place like the Clink, or are too big (and only getting bigger) for the Clink.  

American Society of Hematology is 25,000 people.  It is tiny compared to AAP at 30,000 or the Cardiologists at 50,000.  Even the dental groups are just too big for the Clink.  On the other side, there are small groups like the American Society of Ped Hem Onc that celebrated last spring that 1000 people attended.   When we could fit our whole group into the hotel and the NBA draft combine could go on next to us, you know that the Clink is not going to show up on their radar screens.
I am down in Atlanta for ISTE Ed tech conference. There are close to 20,000 people in attendance and CL could not host this this it's building. Not enough meeting spaces.

On a side note the Georgia World Convention center is huge. At least 4 levels if bit 5. I have been in two rooms that seem to be at least as big as CL convention hall. Oh and I think there is only ONE hotel attached - the Omni.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Flights are probably a big issue too. Why would some conventions come to a city where a number of their attendees would have to transfer in other cities when they could just host their event in one of the cities everyone is already transferring from.
bigredmed
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed »

Uffda wrote:
bigredmed wrote:In my area of medicine, the shows are either getting so small that they don't need (and cant afford) a place like the Clink, or are too big (and only getting bigger) for the Clink.  

American Society of Hematology is 25,000 people.  It is tiny compared to AAP at 30,000 or the Cardiologists at 50,000.  Even the dental groups are just too big for the Clink.  On the other side, there are small groups like the American Society of Ped Hem Onc that celebrated last spring that 1000 people attended.   When we could fit our whole group into the hotel and the NBA draft combine could go on next to us, you know that the Clink is not going to show up on their radar screens.
I am down in Atlanta for ISTE Ed tech conference. There are close to 20,000 people in attendance and CL could not host this this it's building. Not enough meeting spaces.

On a side note the Georgia World Convention center is huge.  At least 4 levels if bit 5. I have been in two rooms that seem to be at least as big as CL convention hall. Oh and I think there is only ONE hotel attached - the Omni.
One attached hotel and then one next door that CNN is in. Then there are about 3 that are across the green space from the center. It is vast. I had to walk from one end to another in about 15 minutes to get from one meeting to the next. It could swallow the Clink and the Hilton with room to spare.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

MECA hopes cellphone tower helps service at CenturyLink Center

http://www.ketv.com/news/local-news/mec ... paign=ketv" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ketv.com wrote:
OMAHA, Neb. —The Metropolitan Entertainment & Convention Authority hopes the installation of a new cellphone tower will help with cell reception at the CenturyLink Center and TD Ameritrade Park.

By the end of January, concert and sporting-event goers will be able to get 4G service. Service will extend to TD Ameritrade Park by May.
What is/was the status on this project, has it happened yet, on hold? Is reception during games better? I haven't been to the CLink for a while...
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Pinnacle Bank Arena vs. CenturyLink Center Omaha
Ten of the top 200 worldwide tours stopped by CenturyLink Center Omaha, and six of the top 200 came to Pinnacle Bank Arena. Two others on the list made stops at other area venues.
CenturyLink Center Omaha ranked in the top 100 arena venues in the world with 185,069 tickets sold, which placed the arena at No. 78. Pinnacle Bank Arena ranked No. 111 with 116,522 tickets sold.
Stir Concert Cove in Council Bluffs was No. 68 among the top amphitheater venues in the world.
Omaha’s Orpheum Theater ranked No. 52 among worldwide theatre venues, while the Holland Performing Arts Center’s Peter Kiewit Concert Hall ranked at No. 143.
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

skinzfan23 wrote:Pinnacle Bank Arena vs. CenturyLink Center Omaha
Ten of the top 200 worldwide tours stopped by CenturyLink Center Omaha, and six of the top 200 came to Pinnacle Bank Arena. Two others on the list made stops at other area venues.
CenturyLink Center Omaha ranked in the top 100 arena venues in the world with 185,069 tickets sold, which placed the arena at No. 78. Pinnacle Bank Arena ranked No. 111 with 116,522 tickets sold.
Stir Concert Cove in Council Bluffs was No. 68 among the top amphitheater venues in the world.
Omaha’s Orpheum Theater ranked No. 52 among worldwide theatre venues, while the Holland Performing Arts Center’s Peter Kiewit Concert Hall ranked at No. 143.

Honestly, the biggest thing that stood out to me was the Orpheum Theater and the Stir Concert Cove's stats. That's pretty awesome.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

MECA considering a curb cut across from the garage exit on 10th or a pedestrian bridge over 10th street.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

iamjacobm wrote:MECA considering a curb cut across from the garage exit on 10th or a pedestrian bridge over 10th street.
Where everyone walks over that island to the lot where the capitol district will be? wont that problem go away when its not a lot?
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

I found their agenda and they said they don't like how the garage is emptying out so they are either considering a left turn out of the garage to keep traffic from all going right to Cass street or a ped bridge to eliminate the pedestrian/car bottleneck. It wasn't highly detailed.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

iamjacobm wrote:I found their agenda and they said they don't like how the garage is emptying out so they are either considering a left turn out of the garage to keep traffic from all going right to Cass street or a ped bridge to eliminate the pedestrian/car bottleneck. It wasn't highly detailed.
There is a back exit on the lowest level of the garage, but that way is slower than the 10th Street Exit.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

Brad wrote:
iamjacobm wrote:MECA considering a curb cut across from the garage exit on 10th or a pedestrian bridge over 10th street.
Where everyone walks over that island to the lot where the capitol district will be?  wont that problem go away when its not a lot?

Won't there be even more foot traffic going to the Capital District?

Greg
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Greg S wrote:Won't there be even more foot traffic going to the Capital District?
Yes, but it depends on how the build it (entrances and doors). Right now, there is no fence or anything, so people who park in that lot can cut across wherever. If they orientate it with the main enterances facing Capitol or at least the 10th and Capitol intersection, I think people would be less inclined to walk across 10th by the parking garage.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

The specific language:
However, in situations when attendance is very high and everyone is exiting at the same time, pedestrians normally are the main cause of stalled traffic. The problem escalates with the combination of pedestrians, the traffic exiting from garage being limited on 10th Street (directly into pedestrian traffic), and driver’s trying to reach the interstate. The Board of Directors all agreed that a solution needs to be a priority, with talks of possibly inserting a median cut, using
bollards or adding a pedestrian bridge. Mr. Dixon will first set up a meeting with the Public Works Department and then the traffic division to find a solution.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

A friend told me he saw/heard of another team with KC connections coming to Omaha. He couldn't remember what it was, not being a sports fanatic :roll:, but he saw/heard it on the news. Anybody hear of such a team?
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Coyote wrote:A friend told me he saw/heard of another team with KC connections coming to Omaha. He couldn't remember what it was, not being a sports fanatic :roll:, but he saw/heard it on the news. Anybody hear of such a team?
Clearly it is the Pittsburgh Penguins, KC was all over that talk after Sprint opened.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

For the first time when parking at the Creighton game last night, they were charging $8 to park in the lots on the east side of the C Link near Storz. They had it all roped off and only a few cars were parking there. I don't think you should have to pay $8 to walk 5-6 blocks. Hopefully they don't do this for future events too.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

CenturyLink Center should take risks to lure performers, report says

http://www.omaha.com/news/metro/century ... 166ba.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Roseann Moring / World-Herald staff writer wrote:In the face of increasing competition, Omaha’s CenturyLink Center must take some risks to attract performers, while its administrators need to focus on keeping the decade-old arena attractive.
I did talk with someone from MECA the other day who did say there were concert announcements coming soon.