Family Fare - No Frills - Bag N Save

News and releases from metro area businesses

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

BRoss
IT Director

Re: No Frills - SOLD

Post by BRoss »

debradomayer wrote:Hard to compete with the HyVees & Bakers if you don't update.
Exactly. I used to hate going to the Bag'n Save at 114th & Dodge because it seemed so trashy. 108th & Maple was better, but still seemed run down and outdated.
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

The 156th and Q store was built in 2000. Even a minor update is probably needed by now.
Verbum Domini Manet in Aeternum
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

Funny how things evolve... I'll never forget walking in that Cub Foods for the first time, being greeted by a fork lift in the first isle, thinking... how giant the place was (of course I spent most of my early life shopping at Shavers at 90th and West Center).

Of course prior to that, there was sneaking into the Golden Spike drive-in. :)
Shoot for the Moon... if you miss, you'll land among the stars.
BIG-T
New to the Neighborhood

Post by BIG-T »

I remember that the 76th and the 156th locations used to be Albertsons, they were busy till they sold out then downhill they went.
There were a few nice people in the 114th location, I know in the past year the deli manager was persuaded to retire after she fell the new guy that they had in there some young guy ran the deli into the ground.

I know if it was not for the companies and the apartments behind the 114th location that place would of closed a long time ago.
bbinks
Parks & Recreation

Post by bbinks »

I stopped in the 76th location today. Not a lot left.

It would be interesting to see who goes into the spot. Hobby Lobby would be nice. They initially tried for the B&S that was by Best Buy.
Coyote
City Council

Re: No Frills Supermarket (Nash Finch)

Post by Coyote »

So Spartan Nash owns No Frills, but is consolidating and closing stores...
How about another rumor: The new No Frills on 204th and Pacific is going to become a Family Fare...
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Coyote wrote:So Spartan Nash  owns No Frills, but is consolidating and closing stores...
How about another rumor: The new No Frills on 204th and Pacific is going to become a Family Fare...
I wonder if that is the first move toward a market wide rebrand. Seems like "Family Fare" is SpartanNash's main brand.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Last Lincoln Sun Mart store to close
MATT OLBERDING: LINCOLN JOURNAL STAR wrote: SpartanNash, the Michigan corporation that owns Sun Mart, said Thursday that the store's last day will be Feb. 7.
It looks like the are doing more than closing a few stores in the Nebraska market...
debradomayer
Library Board

Post by debradomayer »

According to people in the know, all of the BagnSaves & No Frills banner will eventually change to Family Fare. Family Fare is the name of Spartan's stores in Michigan. Heard today from a reliable source that there will be 6 stores in the area closing some time this year. AND the BagnSave at 50th & Grover is getting a major remodel starting in a few weeks.
Louie
County Board

Post by Louie »

debradomayer wrote:According to people in the know, all of the BagnSaves & No Frills banner will eventually change to Family Fare. Family Fare is the name of Spartan's stores in Michigan.  Heard today from a reliable source that there will be 6 stores in the area closing some time this year. AND the BagnSave at 50th & Grover is getting a major remodel starting in a few weeks.
6 stores closing will be good. Omaha is a very saturated market when it comes to grocery stores.
NEDodger
Parks & Recreation

Post by NEDodger »

Louie wrote:
debradomayer wrote:According to people in the know, all of the BagnSaves & No Frills banner will eventually change to Family Fare. Family Fare is the name of Spartan's stores in Michigan.  Heard today from a reliable source that there will be 6 stores in the area closing some time this year. AND the BagnSave at 50th & Grover is getting a major remodel starting in a few weeks.
6 stores closing will be good. Omaha is a very saturated market when it comes to grocery stores.
I'm not sure how this is good by any stretch of the imagination. That's a lot of starter jobs for people (as well as some "real" jobs for others), as well as leaving gigantic empty buildings in six spots around town.
bbinks
Parks & Recreation

Post by bbinks »

NEDodger wrote:
Louie wrote:
I'm not sure how this is good by any stretch of the imagination.   That's a lot of starter jobs for people (as well as some "real" jobs for others), as well as leaving gigantic empty buildings in six spots around town.
Some of the Bag N Saves are total dumps. The one on 90th... I don't think they have invested anything in that place since Target left and they went in almost 20 years ago. Brown, stained ceiling tiles, cracked faded tile floors.... I understand the job loss aspect, but a little investment in your business can help the business in the long haul.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

It's painful looking at the one at 76th and Dodge sitting empty.

Greg
bbinks
Parks & Recreation

Post by bbinks »

Greg S wrote:It's painful looking at the one at 76th and Dodge sitting empty.

Greg
Hobby Lobby would be a nice replacement since their original plan to go into the older Bag N Save by Best Buy fell through.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

bbinks wrote:Hobby Lobby would be a nice replacement since their original plan to go into the older Bag N Save by Best Buy fell through.
I was thinking it could be the Temporary home for Best Buy when they move to make room for the Crossroads Re-development. But I like the Hobby Lobby idea too. Is it big enough for both?
bbinks
Parks & Recreation

Post by bbinks »

Brad wrote:
bbinks wrote:Hobby Lobby would be a nice replacement since their original plan to go into the older Bag N Save by Best Buy fell through.
I was thinking it could be the Temporary home for Best Buy when they move to make room for the Crossroads Re-development.  But I like the Hobby Lobby idea too.  Is it big enough for both?
Perhaps if they both downsize from their usual square footage. I think this old Albertson's / Bag n Save is a smaller building. DCassessor wont load right now but from google maps it is not as deep of a building.
lmdramos
Library Board

Post by lmdramos »

lol that's if crossroads actually happens. Wasn't it supposed to start in January or something?
TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board

Post by TitosBuritoBarn »

NEDodger wrote:
Louie wrote:
I'm not sure how this is good by any stretch of the imagination.   That's a lot of starter jobs for people (as well as some "real" jobs for others), as well as leaving gigantic empty buildings in six spots around town.
Omaha's actually pretty over saturated with starter jobs as well:

http://www.omaha.com/money/with-nebrask ... afcd3.html

These empty big boxes could be an eyesore for awhile, but they also allow for easy redevelopment opportunities of underutilized commercial centers.
"Video game violence is not a new problem. Who could forget in the wake of SimCity how children everywhere took up urban planning." - Stephen Colbert
GRANDPASMUCKER
Human Relations

Re: No Frills Supermarkets (SpartanNash)

Post by GRANDPASMUCKER »

I would bet the farm that the Bag and Save out here in Millard at 156th & Q is one of the six stores closing. I'm just an idiot but I knew when they built that store as a Cub Foods it was going to flop hard out here. That Bag and Save at 156 & Q aint made two nickels since it opened. The Bag & Save on a 108th & Q is a dead man walking too. Also on the hot seat is the No Frills on 132nd and Center. The folks in the 132nd and Center area were not in the mood for that dumpy replacement for Bakers. Oh yeah and lets not forget that dumpy Bag & Save on 144th & Center either. There are 4 of the 6 goners right there! One thing I could never figure out is the No Frills on 84th and Giles. For some reason that place does a fair amount of business.
HskrFanMike
Parks & Recreation

Post by HskrFanMike »

The Bag N Save at 156th & Blondo would also be a candidate to close up as well. Between Bakers on Dodge Street and the overpriced Hy-Vee on Maple, it's stuck in the middle with not much reason for people to travel past the other stores.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Did I hear the Walmart's Neighborhood Market specifically targeted Bag n Save...
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

GRANDPASMUCKER wrote:I One thing I could never figure out is the No Frills on 84th and Giles. For some reason that place does a fair amount of business.
Until the Walmart Neighborhood Market opened on 96th and Giles, No Frills was really the only convenient grocery store for that entire Giles corridor, and much of LaVista and Papillion.

Some people just don't want to deal with a Walmart Supercenter.
Verbum Domini Manet in Aeternum
NEDodger
Parks & Recreation

Post by NEDodger »

I know someone who works for Bag and Save, and they said that 90th and Maple is actually their top-grossing store in the area.

Agree that 156th and Blondo is likely gone. No one is ever there.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Blondo being closed for months can't help either.
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

jessep28 wrote:
GRANDPASMUCKER wrote:I  One thing I could never figure out is the No Frills on 84th and Giles. For some reason that place does a fair amount of business.
Until the Walmart Neighborhood Market opened on 96th and Giles, No Frills was really the only convenient grocery store for that entire Giles corridor, and much of LaVista and Papillion.  

Some people just don't want to deal with a Walmart Supercenter.
I've notice a strong decrease in the level of service and overall feeling of the Neighborhood Market now too. I used to go there, but now I just hit the Hyvee which is slightly further away.
No posts exist for this topic
debradomayer
Library Board

Post by debradomayer »

It has been confirmed today that BagnSave at 156 & Blondo & No Frills in Denison Ia & the one on Ft Crook Rd are all closing. Additionally, 6 stores will be remodeled altho the spokesperson wouldn't say which ones. My grapevine tells me BagnSaves at 50th Grover, 108 & Maple, 108 & Q, 153 & Q, No Frills in CB on Valley View and possibly Saddle Creek. Not sure of the other one. Grapevine also said a total of 6 or more stores will be closing, so now we wait & speculate!!!
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

I figured the No Frills on Ft. Crook Rd would close since no one is ever in there and there is one on Hwy 370 and Galvin.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Official: 50th & Grover Bag N Save = $840k renovations.
HskrFanMike
Parks & Recreation

Post by HskrFanMike »

The best rumor I've heard is that Fareway is looking into the 156th & Blondo location. I really, really, really hope that's true.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

debradomayer wrote:It has been confirmed today that BagnSave at 156 & Blondo & No Frills in Denison Ia & the one on Ft Crook Rd are all closing. Additionally, 6 stores will be remodeled altho the spokesperson wouldn't say which ones. My grapevine tells me BagnSaves at 50th Grover, 108 & Maple, 108 & Q, 153 & Q, No Frills in CB on Valley View and possibly Saddle Creek. Not sure of the other one. Grapevine also said a total of 6 or more stores will be closing, so now we wait & speculate!!!
Consider me surprised that Saddle Creek is sticking around. I suppose they could be in the next round.
Louie
County Board

Post by Louie »

iamjacobm wrote:
debradomayer wrote:It has been confirmed today that BagnSave at 156 & Blondo & No Frills in Denison Ia & the one on Ft Crook Rd are all closing. Additionally, 6 stores will be remodeled altho the spokesperson wouldn't say which ones. My grapevine tells me BagnSaves at 50th Grover, 108 & Maple, 108 & Q, 153 & Q, No Frills in CB on Valley View and possibly Saddle Creek. Not sure of the other one. Grapevine also said a total of 6 or more stores will be closing, so now we wait & speculate!!!
Consider me surprised that Saddle Creek is sticking around.  I suppose they could be in the next round.
It may surprise you that this is one of the more profitable locations.
bbinks
Parks & Recreation

Post by bbinks »

Louie wrote:
iamjacobm wrote:
Consider me surprised that Saddle Creek is sticking around.  I suppose they could be in the next round.
It may surprise you that this is one of the more profitable locations.
Is it profitable because EBT payments are a guaranteed income? It would be interesting to know how much of their sales are from EBT. Until the Walmart Market opened that was the only place to get groceries in that immediate area. Near my house... Bakers, Walmart Supercenter, HyVee. All walking distance.

Reason I ask is many years ago when it was still Albertsons, I knew the deli manager. He said that a good chunk of the stores sales were food stamps.
guitarguy
Parks & Recreation

Post by guitarguy »

I would bet every grocery store in the USA has a huge chunk of EBT income right now with so many people using the program.
Seth
Parks & Recreation

Post by Seth »

bbinks wrote:Is it profitable because EBT payments are a guaranteed income?   It would be interesting to know how much of their sales are from EBT.  Until the Walmart Market opened that was the only place to get groceries in that immediate area.  Near my house...  Bakers, Walmart Supercenter, HyVee.   All walking distance.
Food stamps aren't any more guaranteed than someone paying with a cash or a credit card. Aside from a more captive market due to less mobile citizens in low-income areas with higher food stamps usage, I can't think of any particular business advantage.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

A fictional presidential candidate in " House of Cards " gives this rousing campaign speech about Wal-Mart:

"The starting salary for an employee at Walmart is below the poverty line. [crowd groans, boos]

"Now, the American government subsidizes Walmart to the tune of $7.8 billion a year by issuing food stamps to over one in ten of its workers. But here's the scary part. Fifteen percent of all food stamps are actually used at Walmart. Meaning Walmart gets to double dip into the federal government's coffers. [crowd booing]

"I'm as angry about it as you are. Because Walmart's top executives have reaped almost 300 million in tax-deductible performance pay over the last six years. That needs to stop! [cheering]

"We need to raise the minimum wage! [cheering] Cut down on corporate greed by regulating bonuses! [cheering] It's time to balance the scales."

While the show is fictional, the facts are real and come largely from a 2014 report from Americans For Tax Fairness.
GRANDPASMUCKER
Human Relations

Post by GRANDPASMUCKER »

Its always been a load of B.S. that food stamps are handouts only to the poor. Food Stamps are handouts to the Grocery Stores and big food companies too. If we were really only concerned with the poor peoples health we wouldn't allow them to use their food stamps to buy soda pop and potato chips and sugar covered breakfast cereals. But then Coca Cola and Kelloggs wouldn't like that very much would they. Of course one of the main reasons Walmart wanted to put that store on 50th and Ames was because they knew way more then half the people in that area are on food stamps and that at the beginning of every month they will be shopping in mass with their freshly filled up food stamp cards. Then when these down trodden souls get all filled up with sugar they can go up to the Dr on their Medicaid and Obama Care and get some pills to help fight off the betis and the clogged artery disease. Of course those little pills have no chance of undoing all the damage these poor fools are doing to themselves with their horrible diets but it sure makes drug companies rich.
Garrett
Planning Board

Post by Garrett »

"The Betis"
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Actually I pretty much agree with the concepts of that argument. I would articulate it differently though...
Garrett
Planning Board

Post by Garrett »

Oh I do too. But still. The Betis.
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Coyote wrote:Official: 50th & Grover Bag N Save = $840k renovations.
Official: 820 N Saddle Creek No Frills = $540k renovations.