NP Dodge - Old Mill Office

West Omaha, Sarpy and Nebraska metro counties.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

skinzfan23
City Council

NP Dodge - Old Mill Office

Post by skinzfan23 »

Didn't know where to put this, but it looks NP Dodge is going to remodel the Old Mill Toyota building for another location.

NP Dodge plans another office along busy corridor after buying car dealership site
The company anticipates spending as much in renovation and remodeling the complex as it did in the sale price, boosting the investment to about $3 million.
At 18,359 square feet, the structure that will be called 108Dodge is triple the size of an existing office at 129th Street and West Dodge Road, and it has 10 times the parking, Dodge said. The residential sales staff at the 129th Street location outgrew that facility and will relocate to 108Dodge.
Crews have started cleaning 108Dodge and will leave just a shell. About 14,000 square feet will be renovated, and about 4,000 square feet will be set aside for a later use.
Not sure I agree with his point on this one considering the existing building:
“It’s probably cheaper to knock down,” Riedmann said. “It’s cooler to keep and re-use.”
HskrFanMike
Parks & Recreation

Re: NP Dodge - Old Mill Office

Post by HskrFanMike »

Which part? The cheaper to knock down or cooler to reuse?

Remember, it's a former car dealership, and most of the space was for the service department.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

I know it was a former dealership...I just don't think this would be a building worth saving. If it is cheaper to knock it down and build new, why not (especially in this case)
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

skinzfan23 wrote:I know it was a former dealership...I just don't think this would be a building worth saving.  If it is cheaper to knock it down and build new, why not (especially in this case)
They could pull a McDonald's and knock down everything save one wall and bill it as a renovation without having to update a ton of building codes.
When fortune smiles on something as violent and ugly as revenge, it seems proof like no other that not only does God exist, you're doing his will.

The Bride
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

RNcyanide wrote:
skinzfan23 wrote:I know it was a former dealership...I just don't think this would be a building worth saving.  If it is cheaper to knock it down and build new, why not (especially in this case)
They could pull a McDonald's and knock down everything save one wall and bill it as a renovation without having to update a ton of building codes.
Yeah I didn't think about that...that is probably why they decided to save the current building, so they don't have to adhere to all the current codes.
GetUrban
Planning Board

Post by GetUrban »

Saving one wall would not exempt them from meeting current codes with new alterations or additions...

From the 2006 IBC adopted by Omaha:

SECTION 3403
ADDITIONS, ALTERATIONS OR REPAIRS
3403.1 Existing buildings or structures. Additions or alterations
to any building or structure shall comply with the
requirements of the code for new construction. Additions or
alterations shall not be made to an existing building or structure
that will cause the existing building or structure to be in violation
of any provisions of this code. An existing building plus
additions shall comply with the height and area provisions of
Chapter 5. Portions of the structure not altered and not affected
by the alteration are not required to comply with the code
requirements for a new structure.

Didn't McDonalds save one wall so they could avoid some zoning or setback rules that had been revised? I'm not familiar with that whole story. Sounds iffy whether it would really be true.
He said "They are some big, ugly red brick buildings"
...and then they were gone.
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

GetUrban wrote:Saving one wall would not exempt them from meeting current codes with new alterations or additions...

From the 2006 IBC adopted by Omaha:

SECTION 3403
ADDITIONS, ALTERATIONS OR REPAIRS
3403.1 Existing buildings or structures. Additions or alterations
to any building or structure shall comply with the
requirements of the code for new construction. Additions or
alterations shall not be made to an existing building or structure
that will cause the existing building or structure to be in violation
of any provisions of this code. An existing building plus
additions shall comply with the height and area provisions of
Chapter 5. Portions of the structure not altered and not affected
by the alteration are not required to comply with the code
requirements for a new structure.

Didn't McDonalds save one wall so they could avoid some zoning or setback rules that had been revised? I'm not familiar with that whole story. Sounds iffy whether it would really be true.
That's exactly what they did. But that may have been to avoid meeting just one code. It is possible that, should they want to do anything else, like building up, they would have to meet additional codes no matter what.
When fortune smiles on something as violent and ugly as revenge, it seems proof like no other that not only does God exist, you're doing his will.

The Bride
bigredmed
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed »

Keeping the building would also allow them the use of the garage, mechanics' bays, and other space for their property maintenance crews and data/records storage.