The Ones at 35th and Dodge

Downtown, Midtown, and all parts east of 72nd.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

iamjacobm
City Council

The Ones at 35th and Dodge

Post by iamjacobm »

No clue what it is, but there is a TIF mention in the Planning Board agenda.
MTO
City Council

Re: The Ones at 35th and Dodge

Post by MTO »

35th ave. or at.?
15-17, 26, 32
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

NE of 35th St and Dodge.

I looked at the DC Assessor and Arch Icon owns three homes at this location.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

I was just going to say, NE 35th Ave is the Creighton Psychiatric Clinic... So it must be NE 35th St...
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

My shrink is there and she told me they were moving sometime this year.
15-17, 26, 32
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

TIF was passed by the planning board.
Seth
Parks & Recreation

Post by Seth »

skinzfan23 wrote:TIF was passed by the planning board.
What's the TIF for?
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

The Ones, 35th and Dodge Streets, razing run-down houses and erecting new apartments, $590,000 TIF, total projected cost $4.3 million.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Interesting. If it front Dodge it could look decent.
Seth
Parks & Recreation

Post by Seth »

Sounds like a project with good potential.
10thstgoober
Home Owners Association

Post by 10thstgoober »

My landlord just texted me regarding this project. 28 units, referred the homes being knocked down as the tree houses on dodge.
Dundeemaha
Human Relations

Post by Dundeemaha »

Probably these then? Image
Louie
County Board

Post by Louie »

Hope they don't tear down those trees...
GetUrban
Planning Board

Post by GetUrban »

Louie wrote:Hope they don't tear down those trees...
I'm all for saving trees, but that big one looks like a Silver Maple. At that age they are usually partially hollow, full of carpenter ants, and will come down on their own anyway....on top of cars, houses, or people. It will be a good opportunity to start fresh with new landscaping. The city of Omaha has some pretty good mandatory landscaping requirements that all new development has to meet. On the other hand, if it was 100 yr old Oak, I'd say save it. Construction can put a lot of stress on trees too. No guarantee it would make it through that. I grew up in Dundee and have seen my share of cars and houses smashed by Silver Maples.
He said "They are some big, ugly red brick buildings"
...and then they were gone.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

10thstgoober wrote:My landlord just texted me regarding this project. 28 units, referred the homes being knocked down as the tree houses on dodge.
24 1 bedroom 4 2 bedroom units. 4 floors with 22 parking stalls below the apartments.

RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

Looks quite bland.
When fortune smiles on something as violent and ugly as revenge, it seems proof like no other that not only does God exist, you're doing his will.

The Bride
Joe_Sovereign
Library Board

Post by Joe_Sovereign »

No Retail, No Balconies, Very little of any interest in the design, Boring Design. Give us a Rooftop Patio or something.

Another apartment building with less parking spots than apartments. I am still curious how many people in Omaha can afford a higher end urban apartment and don't own a car. It is still Omaha with crappy public transportation, hot summers and cold snowy Winters, and unless you work at Mutual and really love Midtown Crossing there is not a ton of options in this area.
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

It's just an apartment building. And all the more reason for public transit. Getting over are car decency will help the city utilize the BRT/LR.
15-17, 26, 32
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

If this project fronts Dodge St. as the renderings suggest, I would have thought the city would have required something more aesthetically pleasing.
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

The design just looks incomplete. For example, the set-back portion in the middle-ish where there is metal grating: They easily could have put in acrylic or glass panels that have a soft yellow-white light at night. They could have also extended that portion up, maybe 5-6 feet taller than the rest of the structure, widened it out a little bit and had a flat, curved or angled top with an overhang of about 2 feet for visual interest. They could have used wood on one or both ends, and of course, they could have included some kind of balcony.

I hope these units are cheap. It would be a shame if they tried to have a premium price just because of the location.
When fortune smiles on something as violent and ugly as revenge, it seems proof like no other that not only does God exist, you're doing his will.

The Bride
Midwestern
Home Owners Association

Post by Midwestern »

In my opinion, if a project is receiving TIF assistance, it needs to be held to a higher architectural standard. Don't ask for TIF and then erect some cheap, bland piece of sh** right on the main corridor into downtown.
mr. omaha
Home Owners Association

Post by mr. omaha »

TRB strikes again! :gun:

Swingannuhmiss strike three.
Seth
Parks & Recreation

Post by Seth »

It's not beautiful, but I don't think it's that horrible. It's not much different than some of the newer buildings on the west edge of Old Market. It looks a lot more appropriate for Midtown than the rendering for Ekhard Court.
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

Demo.

15-17, 26, 32
RockHarbor
Planning Board

Post by RockHarbor »

I love those! Is it not incredible how Omaha is getting so much more of these urban residential boxes with the big square/rectangle windows?! That's one aspect I love about Minneapolis's urbanscape. Now, we are getting more of that urban look of density here! Love it.
I can get pushed out because I'm "too much" for some. Then, an observer of me comes suddenly swooping in to "fill my shoes." People are always more accepting of the new one, because their feathers aren't truly ruffled by them. (Yawn) I can count on it every time.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Hopefully it looks better than the renderings above....those look pretty drab.
RockHarbor
Planning Board

Post by RockHarbor »

skinzfan23 wrote:Hopefully it looks better than the renderings above....those look pretty drab.
Really? I like how it has nice, simple lines, with those basic big windows, and three facades that all meet and contrast: reddish brick, dark grey siding, and greyish stucco. The bold lettering is perfect on that corner there, imo.

But, I agree: It is not the most exciting one of these I've seen go up in Omaha. This one does look more simple & basic. Some of the ones right downtown are incredible to me. I just love them.
I can get pushed out because I'm "too much" for some. Then, an observer of me comes suddenly swooping in to "fill my shoes." People are always more accepting of the new one, because their feathers aren't truly ruffled by them. (Yawn) I can count on it every time.
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

This the 49th complex, hotel on Saddle Creek and hopefully more announced soon, Dodge is going to start looking a lot different.
15-17, 26, 32
daveoma
Parks & Recreation

Post by daveoma »

RockHarbor wrote:I love those! Is it not incredible how Omaha is getting so much more of these urban residential boxes with the big square/rectangle windows?! That's one aspect I love about Minneapolis's urbanscape. Now, we are getting more of that urban look of density here! Love it.
Totally agree
RockHarbor
Planning Board

Post by RockHarbor »

daveoma wrote: Totally agree
One of the many great things about this board is knowing that people feel & spot the same things you do. It's so funny... Glad you enjoy it, too. That's one thing exciting about Omaha, imo: It just has that feeling (to me) like it is progressing into something greater, it is coming of age, it is "arriving"...while other cities have mostly already. And, this new urban-style housing adds to that perception, I feel.
daveoma
Parks & Recreation

Post by daveoma »

RockHarbor wrote:
One of the many great things about this board is knowing that people feel & spot the same things you do. It's so funny... Glad you enjoy it, too. That's one thing exciting about Omaha, imo: It just has that feeling (to me) like it is progressing into something greater, it is coming of age, it is "arriving"...while other cities have mostly already. And, this new urban-style housing adds to that perception, I feel.
Definitely, and Omaha has benefited tremendously by the new appreciation of urban living since a big chunk of the city and its infrastructure was built before the automobile. Also it's great to see people be more optimistic than they were in the 80s and 90s. It really is beginning a new city. I'm loving it too!
RockHarbor
Planning Board

Post by RockHarbor »

daveoma wrote:
RockHarbor wrote:
Definitely, and Omaha has benefited tremendously by the new appreciation of urban living since a big chunk of the city and its infrastructure was built before the automobile. Also it's great to see people be more optimistic than they were in the 80s and 90s. It really is beginning a new city. I'm loving it too!
Definitely!

You talk about "before the automobile." Funny, thinking about it, 2/3 of our metro (all west of 72nd) has been built since 1950. So, the inner city really is not all that extensive. (Seriously, Chicago has historic neighborhoods & rowhomes 10-15 miles out west from the downtown. Compare that to our city.)

So, we aren't this extreme "brand new city" like Phoenix feels like, but at the same time, a lot of our sprawling metro, sitting on these plains in Nebraska, really is not all that old as well. It is nice seeing the inner-city getting more dense. However, although I want this new density, I don't want them to remove too much as well. Its got to be difficult balancing it all...between preservation and making room for growth.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

RockHarbor
Planning Board

Post by RockHarbor »

Why are these taking forever to get off the ground? Does anybody know?
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

RockHarbor wrote:Why are these taking forever to get off the ground? Does anybody know?
Should be starting soon...
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Earth movers were on site this morning.
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

Foundation work is under way.
15-17, 26, 32
BRoss
IT Director

Post by BRoss »

MTO wrote:Foundation work is under way.
I've been forgetting to mention that they finally have started here. Dug down a few weeks ago and I noticed that were pouring some cement.
RockHarbor
Planning Board

Post by RockHarbor »

Finally! They are building quite a bit of these in inner-city Omaha. It is great seeing Omaha get more "urban." There is a neat one going up at 49th & Dodge, I'm sure everyone noticed. I love the big one going up in Downtown Benson, and there's a big one being built on North 30th, too.
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

That one on 49th is stalled out. :? The hotel on Saddle Crik has had dirt pushed around but no construction yet. :?
15-17, 26, 32