Pacific Life HQ @ Aksarben Village

Downtown, Midtown, and all parts east of 72nd.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

RNcyanide
Planning Board

Re: Pacific Life HQ @ Aksarben Village

Post by RNcyanide »

MTO wrote:Is that building white and orange or black and blue.
It depends on how the light enters the eye, I suppose :shrug:
When fortune smiles on something as violent and ugly as revenge, it seems proof like no other that not only does God exist, you're doing his will.

The Bride
hatwate
Library Board

Post by hatwate »

I cannot help myself. I spy with my little eye that the garage is concrete gray and the Pacific LIfe is reddish orange. Of course, I think 'the dress' is white and gold so you might not be able to trust my eye :D 8) O.K. I am done and hope that I haven't started something.
BRoss
IT Director

Post by BRoss »

It''s actually yellow and green.
Seth
Parks & Recreation

Post by Seth »

Please tell me the "what color is the dress" trend hasn't infected eomahaforums too.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Pre-fab garage forms rolling in, hoisted up in no time at all:

skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Doesn't look great aesthetically. I wonder if they are going to at least paint the garage. I doubt there will be any brickwork done on it.
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

I'm not too worried about it. There's going to be other buildings in front of the garage, so at least it will be mostly hidden.
When fortune smiles on something as violent and ugly as revenge, it seems proof like no other that not only does God exist, you're doing his will.

The Bride
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

RNcyanide wrote:I'm not too worried about it. There's going to be other buildings in front of the garage, so at least it will be mostly hidden.
That is true, I forgot that buildings will surround the garage similar to the other garage behind Liv Lounge and Jones Bros.
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

If I'm not mistaken, they also painted that one to match the buildings around it though, so it wouldn't be completely hideous.

The Bride
hatwate
Library Board

Post by hatwate »

I think there will be apartments or townhouses between it and the street on the west side of it.
lmdramos
Library Board

Post by lmdramos »

It doesn't look like there's enough space for a building there. It's gonna have to be pretty narrow.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

This is the site plan:
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

lmdramos wrote:It doesn't look like there's enough space for a building there. It's gonna have to be pretty narrow.
Yes, narrow, but room enough, probably not many windows on the east side though...

RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

They may just build it right up against the parking garage.

The Bride
GetUrban
Planning Board

Post by GetUrban »

Looks like the lofts will be about 40'-50' deep, with a good view of the little Papio to the west.

This is a great example of how more developments should be done in Omaha. Higher-density, street frontage for retail and residential, with parking hidden behind the higher uses. Too bad the land out at 192nd & West Dodge isn't being used this wisely. One can hope that area will eventually fill-in once clear land is no longer available.
He said "They are some big, ugly red brick buildings"
...and then they were gone.
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

GetUrban wrote:Looks like the lofts will be about 40'-50' deep, with a good view of the little Papio to the west.

This is a great example of how more developments should be done in Omaha. Higher-density, street frontage for retail and residential, with parking hidden behind the higher uses. Too bad the land out at 192nd & West Dodge isn't being used this wisely. One can hope that area will eventually fill-in once clear land is no longer available.
This is a good step in the right direction. Let's see how other developments in key parts of town pan out.

The Bride
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

GetUrban wrote:Looks like the lofts will be about 40'-50' deep, with a good view of the little Papio to the west.

A/V is a great example of the mostly right way to do infill. North Downtown is a more likely future peer than West Dodge though.
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

It's a creak not The French Riviera. But yeah this is how it should be done in North Downtown as well.
15-17, 26, 32
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

I'm not even as much as a skyscraper fanboy anymore. Give me buildings the scale of PacLife or Gordman's on every empty lot downtown and we would have a crazy vibrant core.
GetUrban
Planning Board

Post by GetUrban »

iamjacobm wrote:

A/V is a great example of the mostly right way to do infill. North Downtown is a more likely future peer than West Dodge though.
For all practical purposes, the A/V property was pretty much a blank slate (similar to the farm fields out west) after the Aksarben racetrack and associated buildings and pavement were cleared away. But I agree, it's a good example of how to do infill too. :yes: it just took good planning on how to maximize the development potential and blend into the existing urban fabric.

Edit: I should add... I agree it would be a good model of how to develop North Downtown too. But I see no reason that 40 acre (or larger) parcels out west couldn't be developed the same way. It helps that the street grid was partially reestablished through A/V so that it could tie-in with earlier or future developments bordering the development. Street Grids... What a novel idea!
Last edited by GetUrban on Fri Mar 06, 2015 1:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

AV had the Futures Trust, and then chose Noddle to envision a plan. Having fewer voices at the table helped out immensely, having a tabula rasa didn't hurt either.
Garrett
Planning Board

Post by Garrett »

iamjacobm wrote:I'm not even as much as a skyscraper fanboy anymore. Give me buildings the scale of PacLife or Gordman's on every empty lot downtown and we would have a crazy vibrant core.
Exactly. Most of the European cities we want to emulate aren't known for their skyscrapers. Even most of the thriving small urban centers in the United States are the same. Madison, Portland... Lincoln....
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board

Post by TitosBuritoBarn »

I will further the agreement that Aksarben Village is pretty much how urban infill should be done.

One thing that really really bothers me is how the Pinhook and Broadmoor apartments don't have front doors on the street, or even auxiliary doors. Only fire doors lead to the street. Otherwise you have to go in and out through the inner parking lot. If you want to walk to the retail area you have to go alllll the way around the building. It seems minor, but there is a lot of psychology in urban planning and that sort of thing can ruin a walking environment. Seriously, how hard is it to add a couple auxiliary doors to the street?
"Video game violence is not a new problem. Who could forget in the wake of SimCity how children everywhere took up urban planning." - Stephen Colbert
Seth
Parks & Recreation

Post by Seth »

TitosBuritoBarn wrote:I will further the agreement that Aksarben Village is pretty much how urban infill should be done.

One thing that really really bothers me is how the Pinhook and Broadmoor apartments don't have front doors on the street, or even auxiliary doors. Only fire doors lead to the street. Otherwise you have to go in and out through the inner parking lot. If you want to walk to the retail area you have to go alllll the way around the building. It seems minor, but there is a lot of psychology in urban planning and that sort of thing can ruin a walking environment. Seriously, how hard is it to add a couple auxiliary doors to the street?
+1
hatwate
Library Board

Post by hatwate »

The Broadmoor fire doors have security pads on them so the residents don't have to go all the way around the building
TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board

Post by TitosBuritoBarn »

Are they allowed to use them? Looking at Google Streetview, each door has "NOT AN ENTRANCE" written on it.
"Video game violence is not a new problem. Who could forget in the wake of SimCity how children everywhere took up urban planning." - Stephen Colbert
hatwate
Library Board

Post by hatwate »

I believe that sign is for non-residents. I see residents using them all the time.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Haha those apartments are par of he reason I said mostly right infill. A/V isn't perfect but it was Omaha's first real experience with that type of modern development.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

With the Parking Garage to the North, I guess this is the next best vantage point:

RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

Once the get the granite cladding on and the white accents, this place will look pretty sharp. I know I criticized it pretty hard earlier, but for a simple design, it is rather elegant. A lighting scheme at night would do wonders for this place.

The Bride
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

RNcyanide wrote:Once the get the granite cladding on and the white accents, this place will look pretty sharp. I know I criticized it pretty hard earlier, but for a simple design, it is rather elegant. A lighting scheme at night would do wonders for this place.
I think it will look good for the location, but I do wish they would have done something a little more bold as far as the overall design of the building.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

One I hadn't seen yet.

RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

Huh. I guess that little part that kicks out at the top adds some interest.

The Bride
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

iamjacobm wrote:One I hadn't seen yet.

Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

GetUrban
Planning Board

Post by GetUrban »

I was kind of liking the orange...similar to the Gordman's building.
But the understated grey and white will be fine. Not every building needs to draw a lot of attention to itself. A nice background is good to.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Parking garage is basically done. It is massive. It did seem like the space for the proposed building between the garage and the creek is very small.
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

Unless they put it directly against the parking garage or there won't be a setback on the street, I'm having trouble visualizing how exactly they will fit it on that tiny strip of land.

The Bride
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

RNcyanide wrote:Unless they put it directly against the parking garage or there won't be a setback on the street, I'm having trouble visualizing how exactly they will fit it on that tiny strip of land.
The lot is 80' Deep and tapers to 50' at the north end.

The actual buildings at SoMA and Riverfront row houses are only 50' Deep. And for old school, Travers Row are only 30' deep.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

^^Nice.

It probably looked small to me with the random collection of equipment and the presence of the garage giving it a different scale.