Discussion of current events, news, the latest happenings in Omaha

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Brad
City Council

The new USS Omaha

Post by Brad »

The new USS Omaha

http://www.omaha.com/article/20120215/N ... ast-deadly
Joseph Morton WORLD-HERALD BUREAU wrote:WASHINGTON — From al-Qaida terrorists to Somali pirates, America's enemies may come to tremble with fear at the mere mention of Omaha and Sioux City.

The two Midwestern cities, situated far from the ocean tides, will see their names adorn two of the U.S. Navy's newest, fastest warships — vessels designed to be particularly agile and deadly in a new era of asymmetrical combat.
Coyote
City Council

USS Omaha

Post by Coyote »

Construction begins on USS Omaha
KETV wrote:“Omaha will be a formidable war ship with the speed, volume and flexibility to not only meet the needs of the Navy today, but adapt to ever-changing needs of the future," Craig Perciavalle, Austal USA President said at the ceremony. "We take pride in knowing just how important Omaha will be in projecting America’s power across the globe.”
Linkin5
County Board

Re: USS Omaha

Post by Linkin5 »

That's awesome. So how many Omaha battleships have there been now?
bigredmed
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed »

Very cool. This will be the fourth. The last was an attack sub, the first was a sloop in the late 1800's.
Turtle9160
Home Owners Association

Post by Turtle9160 »

Its actually not a battleship lol, battleships were for the mostly named after states. It is a Freedom Class littoral combat ship littoral combat ship designed to carry anti sub choppers and small boats for running SEAL missions or small landing forces, there smaller then destroyers and fast. I only know all this from all the military science and stuff I have learned and read over the years lol
Brad
City Council

Re: The new USS Omaha

Post by Brad »

I merged this with the old thread.
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

... and designed to operate in shallow waters/close to shore... apparently very lightly armored as well, relying on speed/stealth.
Shoot for the Moon... if you miss, you'll land among the stars.
GrandpaaSmucker
Parks & Recreation

Post by GrandpaaSmucker »

Big Party in San Diego this weekend as they commissioned the USS Omaha. Everybody was there from Mayor Stothert to the Pizza King Willie Theisen. Governor Ricketts was there as was Don Bacon. Even Ivanka Trump was there as the official "Ship Sponsor" as she proclaimed at the podium "Man our ship and bring her to life!" Whoops did I say Ivanka Trump I meant to say Suzzie Buffett :;): I keep getting those two mixed up they are so much the same. :lol: Boy these rich guys daughters get to be pretty full of themselves ya know it.

Front Page article on today's paper- http://www.omaha.com/news/military/nebr ... 90908.html
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

There are 4 of my Omaha Skyline Photos hanging in the ship! I was really shocked when they buyer told me where they photos were heading.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Brad wrote:There are 4 of my Omaha Skyline Photos hanging in the ship! I was really shocked when they buyer told me where they photos were heading.

WOW hope someday you can have someone supply you with photos or snapshots of where they are placed. That would be cool to get.
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

nebugeater wrote:
Brad wrote:There are 4 of my Omaha Skyline Photos hanging in the ship! I was really shocked when they buyer told me where they photos were heading.
WOW hope someday you can have someone supply you with photos or snapshots of where they are placed. That would be cool to get.
The buyer was going out for they big party last week and were going to try to get photos, but I haven't seen them yet.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Brad wrote:
nebugeater wrote:
The buyer was going out for they big party last week and were going to try to get photos, but I haven't seen them yet.
Hope you share!
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

:banger:
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Very cool Brad!
GrandpaaSmucker
Parks & Recreation

Post by GrandpaaSmucker »

Its good to see you get the recognition you deserve Brad and a piece of the millions of dollars flying around this project. I know its not nice to kiss and tell but I wonder who it was that had enough connection and pull that they were selecting and purchasing pictures to be hung in a Navy ship :?: My first guess would be the Buffetts. If Suzzie Buffett is the ships sponsor maybe this would fall under her duties. If it wasn't the Buffetts then it must of been Mayor Stothert. If not Stothert then Gov Ricketts. Maybe it was Bob Kerry since he was in the Navy. I don't think it would of been city councilman Ben Gray......... by the way who paid for Ben's winter vacation er I mean official business in San Diego. Did Ben Pay for it himself or did I help pay for it with those Restaurant taxes the city socks me with every time I go out to eat? A bunch of city officials were at the big party. God I hope they didn't make us pay for it but you know they did.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Congrats :thumb: ...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!