Local Breweries

Omaha's dining, arts and music scene

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Brad
City Council

Re: Local Breweries

Post by Brad »

http://www.omaha.com/go/nightlife-notes ... 38a60.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Andrea Kszystyniak / World-Herald staff writer wrote:Get Scratchtown beers in Omaha, Lincoln soon

Omaha will have some new local brews to choose from later this spring.

Scratchtown Brewing Company — an Ord, Nebraska-based brewery — will begin distributing in Omaha and Lincoln within the next few months.

Owner Caleb Pollard said the brewery will have 22-ounce bottles of its Black Eye Imperial Porter available at select retail locations.

Keep an eye on http://www.scratchtownbrewingcompany.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for specific spots to buy the brew.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Is Modern Monks still open in Lincoln?
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

I was cleaning up and updating the list on the first page. I also made a new Nebraska Map. A new and Up to Date Omaha Map will be next.

Nebraska Beer Map:

New Omaha Map Coming Soon.

Nebraska Breweries
N1.  Empyrean Ales - Lazlos (Lincoln - 1990) Empyrean Thread
N2.  Gottberg (Columbus - 1995)
N3.  Spilker Ales (Cortland - 1996)  Spilker Ales Thread
N4.  Thunderhead Brewing (Kearney - 1999)
N5. ShillingBridge (Pawnee City - 2007)
N6. Beaver view (Albion - 2011)
N7. Blue Blood (Lincoln - 2011)
N8. Soaring Wings (Springfield - 2011)
N9. Zipline (Lincoln - 2012)
N10. Scratchtown (Ord - 2013)
N11.  Platte Valley Brewery (Kearney - 20??)
N12. Ploughshare (Lincoln - 2014)
N13. Modern Monks Brewery (Lincoln - 2014)

Iowa Breweries
I1. C.I.B. Brewery - Carson (about 20 miles east of Omaha)
I2. Keg Creek Brewing Company - Glenwood
I3. Olde Main Brewing Co. - Ames
I4. Brick Street Brewing Company - Woodbine

I added Modern Monks to the list and removed Murphy's and the Chicken Coup. Also changed the location of C.I.B. from Macedonia, IA to Carson, IA. The numbers are also back in the original chronological order.
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

Thanks for sharing. The beer scene in our region has advanced tremendously in the past decade. We aren't in the same league as Colorado or Oregon, but we are no longer an embarrassment.
guy4omaha
Parks & Recreation

Post by guy4omaha »

Got a favor to ask if you have time . . .

Got a work colleague in town tomorrow and he's a "beer guy". Going to take him to Benson tomorrow night to take in some of our brewpubs. Can't do them all with Thursday being a work day. For those of you who have beer and Benson as your passion, I have two questions:

1. Which place in Benson do I absolutely have to take this guy to?
2. Which place would you skip if you had to skip one?

Thanks Big Heap!!!
My son got a 27 on his ACT. No this score is not as high as what Jeff's son achieved. But one has to remember the paternal gene-pool my son has to overcome. On a PGPAB [Paternal Gene-Pool Adjusted Basis], my son's score is a 37 and Jeff's son's PGPAB ACT score is 19.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Infusion, Infusion, Infusion, then the other places :cheers:
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Seriously though, Infusion, Jakes, Krug Park, Beercade, Benson Brewery maybe in that order.
guy4omaha
Parks & Recreation

Post by guy4omaha »

Thank you! I appreciate it. It will be fun to see Benson through the eyes of someone from LA.
My son got a 27 on his ACT. No this score is not as high as what Jeff's son achieved. But one has to remember the paternal gene-pool my son has to overcome. On a PGPAB [Paternal Gene-Pool Adjusted Basis], my son's score is a 37 and Jeff's son's PGPAB ACT score is 19.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Infusion is Great, but Krug Park is really impressive. Such a Huge Beer Menu!

Krug Park is probably the best Beer Menu in the city.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Krug can hang in any city IMO. I like Benson more for their food than beer. Infusion has awesome unique beer. Outside of that Jake's Beercade 1912 are all fun places with above average beer selections.
guy4omaha
Parks & Recreation

Post by guy4omaha »

Thanks Gents. We're heading over to Benson now.
guy4omaha
Parks & Recreation

Post by guy4omaha »

Took my work colleague from LA to all your suggestions except BEERCADE. Simply ran out of time. The number of beers might have somewhat influenced his overall outlook toward the end but he had a great time and was very impressed with Benson, it's bars and beers and the overall vibe. It didn't hurt that the evening was capped off by Carl Pelini buying us both a beer.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

:cheers:
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Actually, I would be interested in hearing what local beers he tried, and what he thought of them...
guy4omaha
Parks & Recreation

Post by guy4omaha »

I just wrote you a big detailed description of every twist and turn of the Benson Adventure but it got lost on the submit. I am too lazy to write it all out again. He had the Comaraderie Blood Orange and Infusion and he liked it a lot. At Krug, he tried Hopluia because I had heard several locals rave about it. He wasn't impressed by Hopluia. At Jake's he had some beer he is familiar with from LA. Very hoppy. He has never had it on tap though. He liked this one as well. Sorry we had to order from the chalkboard menu across the room and I left my glasses at work. Thus I can't remember the name. The rest of the evening I wasn't paying attention to what beers he had. they were all pale ales though.

I liked the Butcher's Block Brown at Infusion. very nice. Liked it better than their Joel Porter which I only sampled. At Jakes, where I couldn't read the menu, the bartender recommended this amber, hoppy beer. I really liked it a lot. I think Coop might have been in the brewer's name. Jakes had the best vibe for us as we ended up talking with everyone at the bar since it is a small area.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

guy4omaha wrote:I think Coop might have been in the brewer's name.
COOP Ale Works? http://coopaleworks.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I have had their "Native Amber" (American Amber / Red Ale) and the "Gran Sport Porter" (American Porter). I had them as part of the I love Craft Beer mini tour at Old Chicago. I rated them 4 out of 5 and 4.5 out of 5 stars on untapped, Not that my ratings mean anything. The ratings are more for me than anything. 3.5 means its a decent beer, 4 is good, 4.5 is damn good, and 5 is awesome. Basically I would order a 3.5+ again.
bigredmed
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed »

Any "Brew on Premise" locations any more?
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

bigredmed wrote:Any "Brew on Premise" locations any more?
Like the old "Aksarben Brewing" that was at 114th and Dodge?
bigredmed
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed »

Brad wrote:
bigredmed wrote:Any "Brew on Premise" locations any more?
Like the old "Aksarben Brewing" that was at 114th and Dodge?
Yes. Great fun and especially useful when you had a group activity like a wedding to get set up for.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Not exactly the same, but you can brew on site.

http://www.patriothomebrewsupply.com/brew-on-premise/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
bigredmed
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed »

Brad wrote:Not exactly the same, but you can brew on site.

http://www.patriothomebrewsupply.com/brew-on-premise/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Thanks, I emailed them.
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

I just read this, how the heck did you run into Pelini?
guy4omaha
Parks & Recreation

Post by guy4omaha »

Brad wrote:
COOP Ale Works?  http://coopaleworks.com/

I have had their "Native Amber" (American Amber / Red Ale) and the "Gran Sport Porter" (American Porter).  I had them as part of the I love Craft Beer mini tour at Old Chicago.  I rated them 4 out of 5 and 4.5 out of 5 stars on untapped, Not that my ratings mean anything.  The ratings are more for me than anything.  3.5 means its a decent beer, 4 is good, 4.5 is darn good, and 5 is awesome.  Basically I would order a 3.5+ again.
Thanks for jarring my memory. Yes, it was their Native Amber. I liked it a lot. Maybe my favorite of the night. I have since spoke to my LA friend and he was drinking the Palate Wrecker at Jakes.
guy4omaha
Parks & Recreation

Post by guy4omaha »

Linkin5 wrote:I just read this, how the heck did you run into Pelini?
We were there and my LA friend got to talking to another guy there and for some reason they started talking about how Carl was there as part of a group and at the moment he was outside talking to some people on the sidewalk. When he walked back inside, I said hi as he walked by us. Next thing we know Carl is back at his table with his group buying us a round. So we went over and thanked him, chatted just very briefly and wished him best of luck. Just one of those deals I guess.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

guy4omaha wrote:
Brad wrote:
COOP Ale Works?  http://coopaleworks.com/

I have had their "Native Amber" (American Amber / Red Ale) and the "Gran Sport Porter" (American Porter).  I had them as part of the I love Craft Beer mini tour at Old Chicago.  I rated them 4 out of 5 and 4.5 out of 5 stars on untapped, Not that my ratings mean anything.  The ratings are more for me than anything.  3.5 means its a decent beer, 4 is good, 4.5 is darn good, and 5 is awesome.  Basically I would order a 3.5+ again.
Thanks for jarring my memory. Yes, it was their Native Amber. I liked it a lot. Maybe my favorite of the night. I have since spoke to my LA friend and he was drinking the Palate Wrecker at Jakes.
Green Flash's Palate Wrecker is a great DIPA! I would recommend that anytime.
COOP is from Oklahoma... Meh...
bigredmed
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed »

Brad wrote:Not exactly the same, but you can brew on site.

They called me. They do not have a liquor license so they can help you make your wort, but they can't ferment on site. Interesting. Not sure how that would work for my particular need. We might try later.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

BEER MADNESS

http://www.milwaukeemag.com/2015/03/16/ ... ournament/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
MILWAUKEE MAGAZINE wrote:I made a trip to Omaha last weekend and scouted the beer scene. Through sheer blind luck, the Badgers are headed there for the NCAA tournament. Omaha is a lot different than it was in 2008 when Wisconsin made its last visit, and it’s a perfect spot to fill a weekend with basketball and beer.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Beer could play role in Blackstone District's NCAA draw
KMTV wrote:Omaha, Neb. (KMTV) – The Blackstone business district could get a bump in Wisconsin visitors during the NCAA tournaments. Milwaukee Magazine told Badger fans to head west out of downtown Omaha to the Blackstone district to grab a cold one.

“It’s gratifying to know there are beer fans out there who know about our little brewery in Omaha, Nebraska,” said John Fahrer, an owner at Scriptown Brewing Company, located near 40th and Farnam.
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

Some friends and I did our own beer crawl last night in Benson, starting at Krug Park and working east, before ending at the Pizza Shoppe. As usual Krug Park has excellent beers on tap -- 62 of them! We enjoyed a few rounds there, before heading next door to 1912, which was absolutely packed, with over 100 people, split between the main floor and the large outdoor rooftop deck. While the beer selection isn't of the caliber of Krug Park, there are decent beers to be had, and the smells of the burgers eminating from the kitchen about drove me crazy. This may just be my new Benson go-to place in warm weather.
As an aside, it was fun watching the sun set due west down Maple Street on the Vernal equinox.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

I gotta get to 1912. I hear nothing but great things about it!
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Brad wrote:I gotta get to 1912.  I hear nothing but great things about it!
I may be putting together a forum beer meet for Saturday, April 4th at 1:00.
I ran into an Omaha Cowboy looking for beer today and promised a meet.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

I can't remember if I posted this yet. Apparently they only give the Explorer's Journal to out of towners. Need to get a friend to order one for me.

http://www.visitomaha.com/craftbrew/#.VRG4qBzUpYU
guy4omaha
Parks & Recreation

Post by guy4omaha »

Coyote wrote:
Dang. I am going to be out of town visiting one of my sons. But hey, he is in Madison so I will be sampling plenty of good beer up there. Will stop in New Glarus too!
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

guy4omaha wrote:Will stop in New Glarus too!
Man, I have been wanting some New Glarus for years, it doesn't get out of Wisconsin...
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

I thought I had posted something about Broken Bow's Kinkaider Brewery Co.

New Brewery In Broken Bow
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Nebraska brewers want local hops, but growers can't yet keep up

Andrea Kszystyniak: World-Herald staff writer wrote:A bill moving through the Nebraska Legislature this year could help spur more hop production by giving a tax credit to breweries that use Nebraska-grown hops and barley. The more Nebraska-grown products used in the beer, the higher the credit.

Silas Clarke is the president of the Nebraska Hop Growers Association. The group includes 12 farmers. Seven others are working on building their farms.

Clarke said Nebraska is in a good position for hop growth. Hop plants need a hard freeze during the winter months and a warm, moist summer.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Andrea Kszystyniak: World-Herald staff writer wrote:Clarke said Nebraska is in a good position for hop growth. Hop plants need a hard freeze during the winter months and a warm, moist summer.
They guys at Scratchtown said the sandy soil in the sandhills is great too.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Coyote wrote:
Anybody up for a beer forum meet this weekend?
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Brewery Boom
LARRY L. KUBERT0: L Magazine wrote: Over the past several years, an explosion of craft beer breweries has swept across the country, including four relatively new entries within Lincoln. The grand patriarch of the practice in Nebraska is Empyrean Brewing Co., which in late 1990 became the state’s first brewpub with the opening of Lazlo’s Brewery & Grill in Lincoln. But it is the four “new kids on the block” that L Magazine will visit with in this and the September issues, beginning with Blue Blood and Zipline brewing companies.

Looking to the future, Blue Blood foresees a new and larger facility as it has purchased and is developing a location at Lincoln’s infamous Robber’s Cave. With an estimated completion date of late September/early October, Blue Blood will move its entire brewhouse to the new site, create a new and larger tap room and add a full-scale restaurant.

Next month’s featured breweries: Lincoln’s Ploughshare Brewing Co. and Modern Monks Brewery will be featured in the September issue of L Magazine.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

THE BEST CRAFT BREWERY IN EVERY STATE (AND DC)!

Nebraska: Nebraska Brewing Company
Iowa: Toppling Goliath
Kansas: Free State
Colorado: Avery
Minnesota: Surly
Michigan: Founders
Missouri: Perrenial Artisan
Montana: Big Sky
Oklahoma: Prairie Artisan
South Dakota: Crow Peak
Wisconsin: New Glarus
And for Uffda - Florida: Cigar City