Locally Owned Restaurants in West O

Omaha's dining, arts and music scene

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

bigredmed
Parks & Recreation

Re: Locally Owned Restaurants in West O

Post by bigredmed »

Haven't eaten at Bernies since I was in Middle school (back when it was called Jr. High). We quit for a crackery reason.

As for other local restaurants:

Taxi"s on 120th and Blondo
Saigon on 120th and Center
Kim Son on 114th and Dodge
Taj on 114th and Dodge
Miracle Hills Cafe 114th and Dodge
Billy's Cafe 120th and Blondo
Fernando's 114th and Dodge
Zupas 114th and Davenport
Greenbelly 114th and Burke Blvd
GRANDPASMUCKER
Human Relations

Post by GRANDPASMUCKER »

skinzfan23 wrote:
Brad wrote:Bernie's Pizza in Millard to close after 45 years

http://www.omaha.com/money/bernie-s-piz ... 1a38d.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Barbara Soderlin / World-Herald staff writer wrote:Now Millard is changing again, but this time Drassal says he won’t be a part of it. He plans to close his business at 136th and Q Streets on April 19 after nearly 45 years, two years before he planned to retire, saying his landlord is making it too expensive to operate the restaurant.
I have never been there, but it looks like a good place and it has pretty good reviews online.

What is everyone's opinion of the food? I am wanting to try it before they close.
I have ate there 9 or 10 times over the past 20 years. I don't give it a thumbs up but its not a thumbs down either. Its alright pizza that there is definitely nothing to brag about. The sauce is not especially tasty and they do not pile on the toppings. The décor in the place is pretty rough. The article said that Bernie only pays 1000 a month rent and hes closing because they tried to raise rent to 2000. $1000 a month rent wont get you a shed out here in Millard. I always wondered how Bernie was making it considering the place is always dead and hes only open at night. So theres my answer (the rents only 1000) and the whole thing was a hobby at best. If Bernie was lucky he made the thousand a month rent and enough to pay his couple of employees. Bernie wasn't making nothing himself. Godfathers is right up the street and a few notches tastier.
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

I'll agree it was not amazing pizza, but it wasn't gross either. There was something kind of cool stepping into a place that hadn't changed decor wise in 40+ years.

The last time I went there it was still the husband and wife working and some younger help, I didn't order a beer but I could have sworn it cost 95 cents.
Garrett
County Board

Post by Garrett »

^Some of my friends on Facebook have posted its the best pizza they've had.
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Linkin5 wrote:I didn't order a beer but I could have sworn it cost 95 cents.

Must be a Millard thing because I swear the "Duck Inn" or "Picolos Bar" also had 95 cent beers.

By the way, the Duck Inn is one of my favorite bar names. Not sure why, but I like it.
guy4omaha
Parks & Recreation

Post by guy4omaha »

Brad wrote:By the way, the Duck Inn is one of my favorite bar names.  Not sure why, but I like it.
Yeah it's right up there with the Dew Drop Inn which is (maybe was) in Tekamah.
My son got a 27 on his ACT. No this score is not as high as what Jeff's son achieved. But one has to remember the paternal gene-pool my son has to overcome. On a PGPAB [Paternal Gene-Pool Adjusted Basis], my son's score is a 37 and Jeff's son's PGPAB ACT score is 19.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

guy4omaha wrote:
Brad wrote:By the way, the Duck Inn is one of my favorite bar names.  Not sure why, but I like it.
What about the "Do Rock Inn" in Council Bluffs.... Wow, that place is/was a piece of work,
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Brad wrote:
guy4omaha wrote:
What about the "Do Rock Inn" in Council Bluffs....  Wow, that place is/was a piece of work,
Their used to be a Dew Drop Inn in Millard. Are you referring to that one?
GRANDPASMUCKER
Human Relations

Post by GRANDPASMUCKER »

I went to the Dairy Queen next to Bernies on Saturday night for a malt. It looked like they had a pretty good turnout over at Bernies for the funeral.
ChadJK
Parks & Recreation

Bernie's Pizza / Ellada Greek & Mediterranean

Post by ChadJK »

RE: Bernie's

Bernie's Pizza Parlor at 5092 S 136th St closed in 2015. It was OLD SCHOOL Millard. Bernie and his mom opened it in 1970 and Millard wasn't annexed by Omaha until 1971. After his mom passed his sister helped him run it.

A new Bernie's re-opened a month later in the same location with the same name but different recipes and closed after about 6 months (Bernie should have never let anyone else use his name - especially if they weren't going to use his recipes). A new pizza concept opened shortly after (cannot remember the name) but only lasted a few months.

That 136th Street location is now Ya Hala Mediterranean Restaurant and has been open about 3 years now.
https://www.yelp.com/biz/ya-hala-omaha

Bernie's Pizza has now reopened in a new location at 13522 Cottner St and is takeout only. Bernie's nephew is running the place using Bernie's recipes.
https://www.yelp.com/biz/bernies-origin ... rlor-omaha
https://www.omaha.com/omahadines/longti ... 66672.html
scraper wrote: Thu May 25, 2006 12:32 pm Ellada - 168th and Center
Thank you! I have been trying to remember this place for years. It would occasionally come up in conversation and I'd say, "that Greek/Mediterranean restaurant that used to be at 168th & Center that started with an 'E'." Nobody ever knew what the heck I was talking about.

I only went there once in probably 2004 or 2005. I walked in and the place was half empty. The manager (dressed in jeans and fleece pullover) asked if I had reservations and then looked annoyed when I said no. We were seated, ate (food was good), and left. When we left the place was still half empty. Weird that they'd be so reservation-centric. I was living in Bellevue at the time, so it wasn't a particular convenient place for me to frequent.

Does anyone remember where, specifically, in Shops of Legacy it was located? That is, what business currently occupies the spot Ellada used to?

---

Note to moderators: Should probably move this thread over to Dining/Culture/Entertainment
Last edited by ChadJK on Mon Jun 13, 2022 9:14 am, edited 3 times in total.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Elladas was on the very NE corner of all the shops. It became Olympic Spas and a Ham place afterwards. They had a decent patio facing 168th. The were initially in Dundee, where Amsterdam Falafel and Kabobs is now.

image.jpeg
image.jpeg (139.44 KiB) Viewed 455 times