Including Iowa metro counties.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

skinzfan23
City Council

West Broadway Corridor Plan

Post by skinzfan23 »

Here is link to the pdf for the Broadway Corridor Plan:

http://www.councilbluffs-ia.gov/index.aspx?NID=904
go the page and under documents you can download the pdf.
skinzfan23
City Council

Re: West Broadway Corridor Plan

Post by skinzfan23 »

Here is a view of the proposed view of the West Broadway entry looking west with a hotel on the south side of the street (also notice the additional landscaping in the median of the road) To be developed in phases with the first phase shown here within 5 years. Phase 2 has a 10-20 year timeline and phase 3: 20-30 year timeline.:

ImageWest Broadway by scottstronck, on Flickr
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

Love the trees in the median. With that hotel and the proposed River's Edge development this western corner of CB could get quite urban.
15-17, 26, 32
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

The plan for 1st Ave is really ambitious. They propose it to be a dedicated BRT throughway not open to other traffic with a cycle track next to it.
BRoss
IT Director

Post by BRoss »

iamjacobm wrote:The plan for 1st Ave is really ambitious. They propose it to be a dedicated BRT throughway not open to other traffic with a cycle track next to it.
That sounds really interesting. I'd love to see that actually happen.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

The city has purchased 3 parcels of land including this one, 3549 W. Broadway, which is the first building on the south side of Broadway when entering from Omaha. The structure is going to be demolished within 60 days of closing. No immediate plans yet, but sounds like they are working toward creating the corridor they envision.

Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

There are several buildings between the river and the first stop light that need to go...
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Brad wrote:There are several buildings between the river and the first stop light that need to go...
Yeah including the vacant Sinclair station across the street. The car wash part has broken out windows and within the past week someone broke down the wash bay door. I don't understand why the city hasn't taken action on that property. They should require the land owner to at least secure the buildings.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

The laundry mat...
daveoma
Parks & Recreation

Post by daveoma »

I think the hotel is a great idea considering there are many hotels being built right now. The proximity to downtown Omaha and the inexpensive land is a very unique opportunity.
Turtle9160
Home Owners Association

Post by Turtle9160 »

I didnt know there was even a plan like this for Broadway, but I noticed they were tearing down the old gas station between Wendys and the Laundromat, did the city get that land as well or is something else going to be built there by a private developer?
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Turtle9160 wrote:I didnt know there was even a plan like this for Broadway, but I noticed they were tearing down the old gas station between Wendys and the Laundromat, did the city get that land as well or is something else going to be built there by a private developer?
Was it actually getting torn down? I have driven by there lately and it is all boarded up and falling down, but I didn't see any equipment to tear it down. Hopefully it is getting demolished.
Turtle9160
Home Owners Association

Post by Turtle9160 »

skinzfan23 wrote:
Turtle9160 wrote:I didnt know there was even a plan like this for Broadway, but I noticed they were tearing down the old gas station between Wendys and the Laundromat, did the city get that land as well or is something else going to be built there by a private developer?
Was it actually getting torn down? I have driven by there lately and it is all boarded up and falling down, but I didn't see any equipment to tear it down. Hopefully it is getting demolished.

It was as of Thursday when I passed it, I go down Broadway regularly to get to Echo Electric, saw a excavator tearing the store part of it down
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Good, glad to hear it was being torn down, it should have been 5 years ago.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

skinzfan23 wrote:Good, glad to hear it was being torn down, it should have been 5 years ago.
Yeah, the building and the car-wash are gone, but for whatever reason, they left the canopy standing... Could be a sign that another Gas Station is on its way?
GRANDPASMUCKER
Human Relations

Post by GRANDPASMUCKER »

skinzfan23 wrote:The city has purchased 3 parcels of land including this one, 3549 W. Broadway, which is the first building on the south side of Broadway when entering from Omaha. The structure is going to be demolished within 60 days of closing. No immediate plans yet, but sounds like they are working toward creating the corridor they envision.

In the 60s and 70s that building was the Howard Johnson Restaurant. The food in that place was worse then school cafeteria food but some people loved it. I knew a number of people myself included that rated that Howard Johnsons as the absolute most worst place to eat in the Omaha area.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Little further to the east but the building that housed Comic City and bar was demolished today on the southeast corner of 32nd and Broadway.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

The other night, the 4 pillars were all dark at the "Enterance" to CB.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Don't know if this image has been posted yet:

skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

I noticed the 4 giant light structures on West Broadway on the entryway just west of 35th st were actually all working correctly tonight. I think that is the first time in 5 or 6 years that they were.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

skinzfan23 wrote:I noticed the 4 giant light structures on West Broadway on the entryway just west of 35th st were actually all working correctly tonight. I think that is the first time in 5 or 6 years that they were.
One of the local TV stations just did a story on it. I think they electrical was upgraded on them.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

West Broadway towers updated with new lights
Crews recently finished retrofitting LED lights onto the towers, constructed in 2002 as part of an Iowa West Foundation project. The project manager said the move from the original neon lights to LED lights benefits the project in three ways. First, LED lights are more energy efficient. He said the neon lights needed numerous power transformers, for example.
The other two benefits include the fact that the LED lights allow for a greater amount of colors, while also shining brighter. The neon lights allowed for about six color variations.

The smaller but similar towers on Veterans Memorial Highway were equipped with LED lights when constructed in 2010.

Lindquist said the tower colors will change throughout the year for seasons, other occasions and a plethora of holidays. The summer theme is scheduled to remain until Aug. 15, when it will be followed by a rainbow theme until the end of the month.
Breast cancer awareness, the International Day of Peace and patriotic themes are among those planned in the coming months.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Quiktrip recently closed their location at 17th and Broadway in CB. It was announced yesterday that Kwik Shop will buy the property and open within 60 days. They are going to close their current location at 16th and Ave G. The location on Broadway includes 20 pumps (vs 4 at the Ave G location) and a building twice the size of the Ave G one.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Really? That sucks! I stopped at that location a lot. Wonder why? It was always busy...

Wonder if they are going to build a new location around there that has a kitchen?
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

The QT stated that they closed due to the store underperforming. I think with the Bucky's at 16th and Broadway there was too much competition. I do like QT though. I am glad that Bellevue still has one, just wish it was closer to my house.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

QT has Real Coffee and Real Ice Tea!!!

Bucky's switched to this crappy instant coffee and their ice tea is terrible...
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Major Broadway work could start next spring
A major reconstruction of West Broadway could start next spring, pending a transfer of maintenance duties from the state to the city, Mayor Matt Walsh said Wednesday. The work would stretch between 16th Street on the east and to 41st Street on the west, he said.
“We will put in new sewers, complete removal and replacement of the surface, landscaping, decorative features and new sidewalks,” Walsh said. “New water lines may make sense.”

The reconstruction wouldn’t happen overnight but would be phased in over five years, he said. The estimated cost for the project is $24 million.
Walsh believes the first phase would begin on the eastern edge because of its poor street and sidewalk conditions and unsightly brickwork.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Brad wrote:
skinzfan23 wrote:Good, glad to hear it was being torn down, it should have been 5 years ago.
Yeah, the building and the car-wash are gone, but for whatever reason, they left the canopy standing... Could be a sign that another Gas Station is on its way?
Still wish it was something nicer, but at least the space isn't going to sit vacant for the first time in 4-5 years.

Mega Saver to open Bluffs location
Officials of Mega Saver plan to open a new fuel and convenience store in the 3600 block of West Broadway by the end of the year.
The new convenience store will be located in a 40-by-90-foot building that is now under construction just west of Wendy’s.
Mega Saver was founded in 2002 as a single location in Omaha. While this will be the firm’s first location in Council Bluffs, it currently has 20 locations in the Omaha metro area.
thenewguy
County Board

Post by thenewguy »

Anyone have any insight as to which "new to iowa quick service resturant" is going in at 25th & broadway? Apparently there is a write up in the nonpareil but no mention of names.
Go Cubs Go
Omaha_Gabe
Human Relations

Post by Omaha_Gabe »

thenewguy wrote:Anyone have any insight as to which "new to iowa quick service resturant" is going in at 25th & broadway? Apparently there is a write up in the nonpareil but no mention of names.
I think it will be a raising canes

https://applycaniaccareers.com/index.cf ... ionID=2066

Required Experience Not Specified Management No
Required Education Not Specified Location RC238-Council Bluffs-Council Bluffs, IA
W. Broadway

Council Bluffs, IA 51501
MAP
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

That would be great for CB, although I am not sure that lot would be big enough.
Omaha_Gabe
Human Relations

Post by Omaha_Gabe »

skinzfan23 wrote:That would be great for CB, although I am not sure that lot would be big enough.

It would if they tore down the small apartments down.... i hope they do!
Omaha_Gabe
Human Relations

Post by Omaha_Gabe »

Mega Saver framing is complete

Veridian framing going up

Arby's complete remodel has been completed for a number of weeks

The old Long John Silvers will now become a new Hog Wild BBQ place.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Sounds like the Hog Wild BBQ is aiming for a December opening date.
Omaha_Gabe
Human Relations

Post by Omaha_Gabe »

Burger King also being gutted for complete remodel
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Omaha_Gabe wrote:Burger King also being gutted for complete remodel
Which one? The 16th or 32nd st one.
Omaha_Gabe