Union Pacific Data Center

West Omaha, Sarpy and Nebraska metro counties.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Coyote
City Council

Union Pacific Data Center

Post by Coyote »

I have been trying to find any news on the new Data Center UP will be building just north of Project Oasis but can't find any but this:

150-acre Sarpy County data center, office project 
in the works
Emily Nohr: World-Herald staff writer wrote:Union Pacific Railroad acknowledges a connection to the land, but a spokesman declined to discuss the matter in detail. Several elected officials would not elaborate on the plans.

According to planning documents filed with Sarpy County, the project’s first phase of development includes a data center, office building and a research, development and warehouse facility.

A conceptual site map shows a campus with a 1,500-stall parking lot and room for expansion and storage. The site is across from the new Travelers Cos. data center.
Garrett
Planning Board

Re: Union Pacific Data Center

Post by Garrett »

In other news, there are no longer 666 threads in the suburban forum.
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Makes you wonder if the Proposed Data Center for the Wallstreet Tower Site wasn't UP?
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

Brad wrote:Makes you wonder if the Proposed Data Center for the Wallstreet Tower Site wasn't UP?
Was that ever mentioned anywhere else?
When fortune smiles on something as violent and ugly as revenge, it seems proof like no other that not only does God exist, you're doing his will.

The Bride
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

RNcyanide wrote:Was that ever mentioned anywhere else?
What's that, the data center in the Wallstreet tower? Yeah, there were renderings of it and news articles.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

100K SF in office as well? Could take them out of the running more needed space downtown maybe.
Ben
Human Relations

Post by Ben »

iamjacobm wrote:100K SF in office as well? Could take them out of the running more needed space downtown maybe.
My guess is that would replace their current "catastrophe" space that they have on lease. If memory serves me correctly, is somewhere up by 72nd and 680 now. Basically duplicate offices for essential personnel in case the main HQ ever gets destroyed. A friend in UP IT had to go to this 2nd office occasionally and just make sure everything is up and running "just in case". Sort of weird that it sits empty for most of the year...
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Ben wrote:
iamjacobm wrote:100K SF in office as well? Could take them out of the running more needed space downtown maybe.
My guess is that would replace their current "catastrophe" space that they have on lease. If memory serves me correctly, is somewhere up by 72nd and 680 now. Basically duplicate offices for essential personnel in case the main HQ ever gets destroyed. A friend in UP IT had to go to this 2nd office occasionally and just make sure everything is up and running "just in case". Sort of weird that it sits empty for most of the year...
Hmm interesting. Thanks.
OmahaJaysCU
Planning Board

Post by OmahaJaysCU »

My understanding is they also have a warehouse on 18th and Cuming and one in CB that will move out there. So 3 buildings: disaster recovery office, data center, and warehouse.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

The duplicate center is NW of 90th and Dodge. Only IT people go in there from time to time for routine maintenance and upgrades...
Seth
Parks & Recreation

Post by Seth »

Ben wrote:
Wow, that's something when a private business has a shadow government.
Garrett
Planning Board

Post by Garrett »

I suppose it makes sense when that private company is responsible for a significant portion of the country's infrastructure.
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
Seth
Parks & Recreation

Post by Seth »

True. In the event of a national emergency, railroads would be one of the first assets to be commandeered by the government.

I wonder what kind of contractual agreements the government was working on with the railroads when they were trying to field nuclear ICBMs on rail garrisons during the cold war?
jsheets
Human Relations

Post by jsheets »

Looks like final plans for the UP data center and office space went before the Papillion city council last night. Haven't seen a newspaper article yet but the board minutes have some good details

http://www.egovlink.com/public_document ... Report.pdf

60,000 SqFt data center to be built first
Followed by a technology/warehouse building, and then an office building with lots of parking.

There's some nice renderings of the buildings in the report too
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Substantial project. I wonder what the timeline on more 80 ramps are out west there. Seems like we are only a few years away from needing one between Gretna and 144th.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

iamjacobm wrote:Substantial project. I wonder what the timeline on more 80 ramps are out west there. Seems like we are only a few years away from needing one between Gretna and 144th.
There was the proposed 180th ramp by Vala's pumpkin patch, but I haven't heard about that for a while.
BRoss
IT Director

Post by BRoss »

Brad wrote:
iamjacobm wrote:Substantial project. I wonder what the timeline on more 80 ramps are out west there. Seems like we are only a few years away from needing one between Gretna and 144th.
There was the proposed 180th ramp by Vala's pumpkin patch, but I haven't heard about that for a while.
It's still in the draft 2040 LRTP. It's under the FY 2021-2025 section.