Family Fare - No Frills - Bag N Save

News and releases from metro area businesses

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

iamjacobm
City Council

Re: No Frills Supermarkets (SpartanNash)

Post by iamjacobm »

A number of the stores will become "Family Fare."
Brad
City Council

Re: Family Fare - No Frills - Bag N Save

Post by Brad »

No Frills will become Family Fare, add features to compete in Omaha market

http://www.omaha.com/money/no-frills-wi ... c06d8.html
Barbara Soderlin / World-Herald staff writer wrote:Six value-oriented Omaha-area grocery stores — four No Frills stores and two Bag ’N Saves — will have a new name and new, more upscale features when Michigan supermarket operator SpartanNash completes $15 million of renovations this summer.

The transformation to the Family Fare brand includes sushi bars, Starbucks kiosks, dedicated organic and natural foods sections, expanded deli counters with panini bars, wider craft beer selections and a store loyalty program.

The company will continue to operate 11 No Frills and six Bag ’N Save stores in the Omaha market.
threeoutside
New to the Neighborhood

Post by threeoutside »

The Saddle Creek store is the one I shop at most, being fairly close to me. I'm disgusted with the snotty comments on here. That particular store serves a very under-served lower-income neighborhood. Many people don't have cars and they can take the bus or walk there. It's always busy whenever I go in there. The staff are friendly and helpful, and for that matter, so are my fellow shoppers. If we want to be snotty let's talk about how West Omahans have to have gigantic, pristine chapels to their mindless consumerism, surrounded by hundreds of acres of dead, useless pavement just in case everyone in Omaha decides to go to that store on one day. Don't like that? Then please keep in mind you're talking about human beings, not targets in a video game. What's "EBT"? Nice to reduce your fellow human beings to three letters.
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

threeoutside wrote:The Saddle Creek store is the one I shop at most, being fairly close to me. I'm disgusted with the snotty comments on here. That particular store serves a very under-served lower-income neighborhood. Many people don't have cars and they can take the bus or walk there. It's always busy whenever I go in there. The staff are friendly and helpful, and for that matter, so are my fellow shoppers. If we want to be snotty let's talk about how West Omahans have to have gigantic, pristine chapels to their mindless consumerism, surrounded by hundreds of acres of dead, useless pavement just in case everyone in Omaha decides to go to that store on one day. Don't like that? Then please keep in mind you're talking about human beings, not targets in a video game. What's "EBT"? Nice to reduce your fellow human beings to three letters.
I really haven't seen any snotty comments on here except the ones you just spewed out.
GetUrban
Planning Board

Post by GetUrban »

EBT = Electronic Benefits Transfer.
He said "They are some big, ugly red brick buildings"
...and then they were gone.
NEDodger
Parks & Recreation

Post by NEDodger »

GetUrban wrote:EBT = Electronic Benefits Transfer.
For claiming how "mindless" other people are, I'm surprised they didn't just use Google to look that up? I mean, that'd be the "mindful" thing to do.
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

Well, the new name is lackluster, but it is still world's better than the two names it will replace.
The Papillion store, where I occasionally shop, was always pretty nice to begin with, as it had been an Albertson's. It already has a nice International foods aisle. But the remodeling is pretty nice. I look forward to the sushi and coffee bars.
I figured a name change was in the works, as they stripped every single "No Frills" sign off the store, but didn't replace them with anything else. Right now it is the "No Name" grocery store.
debradomayer
Library Board

Post by debradomayer »

The "Family Fare Supermarket" sign went up yesterday at the soon to be former BagnSave at 50th & Grover. The conversions on the 6 remodeled stores are supposed to happen on 7/22
fci4rene
New to the Neighborhood

Post by fci4rene »

debradomayer wrote:The "Family Fare Supermarket" sign went up yesterday at the soon to be former BagnSave at 50th & Grover. The conversions on the 6 remodeled stores are supposed to happen on 7/22
I went to the 50th and Grover store recently, and I'd have to say that the front looks very nice. Heck the inside although still being worked on some looks amazing! I saw pictures of it before and damn it was so old and rundown, but I'm glad they finally changed how it looks and this area deserves to have a nice grocery store. :) The employees also seemed pretty nice there as well. What I really wonder is how will the new Family Fare facade of the currently Bag N Save at 51st and Harrison will look like, as that store looks really rundown from the outside before they changed the facade. I read somewhere in this thread where someone said it was a dump back in the 1990's.

"More closures may be coming: Company CEO Dennis Eidson said in March that he intends to close up to 10 stores this year."
I wonder which ones will get the axe this year? I walked into the No Frills at 80th and Blondo and that place looked very rundown and the point of sale had not been changed unlike most of the Bag N Save/No Frills stores that have been upgraded. The lack of investment could mean that they intend to close that store sometime this year.
debradomayer
Library Board

Post by debradomayer »

I pass by the 51st & Harrison store a couple times a week & they are building a new entry and new facade. It's going to look really nice! As for stores closing, I have my hunches about which one's will be shuttered. The only one that I've heard for certain is the No Frills at 50th & G, once the reno's are done at Grover & Harrison. Another No Frills has a lease expiring in less than 2 years & when that is up, unless there's some sweetheart deal, it will be closing as well. Omaha has way too many grocery stores, over 50 not counting Walmart & Target SuperCenters. As a broker's rep, I've called on them all!
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

The 51st and Harrison store used to be a skating rink.
Verbum Domini Manet in Aeternum
bbinks
Parks & Recreation

Post by bbinks »

I was in the 90th & Maple location yesterday. One cashier for about 12 people in line. Pitiful management. That was after a 30 min wait at the deli. 1 person helping 6 people.
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

U R my Helix
Human Relations

Post by U R my Helix »

bbinks wrote:I was in the 90th & Maple location yesterday. One cashier for about 12 people in line. .......... That was after a 30 min wait at the deli. 1 person helping 6 people.
They are probably having a hard time finding staff ... going to the coast where they pay $15/hr for working at fast food. Give them time it will get better.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

I have heard nothing but great things about the 50th and Grover store.
fci4rene
New to the Neighborhood

Post by fci4rene »

Brad wrote:I have heard nothing but great things about the 50th and Grover store.
Indeed they did a great job on that one, I would have to say that $840,000 goes really far. :)
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

Any idea why they failed to rebrand all of their stores? Now there is one company operating three grocery chains in Omaha. That seems to make no sense.
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

nativeomahan wrote:Any idea why they failed to rebrand all of their stores? Now there is one company operating three grocery chains in Omaha. That seems to make no sense.
My guess is that the remaining stores SpartanNash plans to keep open will be rebranded when they are remodeled.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

I thought I posted this, but six more stores will be rebranded next year.
bbinks
Parks & Recreation

Post by bbinks »

Coyote wrote:I thought I posted this, but six more stores will be rebranded next year.
Are any on the to-be-closed list?

As stated above, that one on 90th & Maple is a total dive. That would need a lot more to upgrade than the one on 204th & Pacific, which was only a few years old to begin with.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

bbinks wrote:
Coyote wrote:I thought I posted this, but six more stores will be rebranded next year.

As stated above, that one on 90th & Maple is a total dive. That would need a lot more to upgrade than the one on 204th & Pacific, which was only a few years old to begin with.
I didn't ask which ones would be rebranded...
How many other stores are still open in the Metro these days?
fci4rene
New to the Neighborhood

Post by fci4rene »

Coyote wrote:
bbinks wrote:

I didn't ask which ones would be rebranded...
How many other stores are still open in the Metro these days?
11 No Frills and 6 Bag N Save are still open. So I wonder which ones they will upgrade, hmmm
HskrFanMike
Parks & Recreation

Post by HskrFanMike »

The old Bag N Save/Albertsons at 156th and Blondo has been gutted on the inside down to the block. One thing to remove all of the refrigeration equipment (which probably is about 20 years old, going back to Albertsons), but they've also taken out the interior walls as well. A search of the assessor's office indicates that the property is now owned by Brownstone LLC, so something is happening here.

That Fareway rumor might be accurate, with work being timed for the reopening of Blondo. If you are opening a new grocery store, you might not want to try to salvage the old freezer equipment, and Fairway's meat department model would require all-new equipment and layout anyway.
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

The building permits for that location show an applicant of U Save Foods, c/o a Nasch leasing company. Brownstone is probably just some real estate investment partnership or whatever who owns the lot.
HskrFanMike
Parks & Recreation

Post by HskrFanMike »

jessep28 wrote:The building permits for that location show an applicant of U Save Foods, c/o a Nasch leasing company. Brownstone is probably just some real estate investment partnership or whatever who owns the lot.
That's probably for the gutting to salvage the equipment. Nash Finch owned the building earlier this year, and it's been transferred to Brownstone.
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

The former Bag and Save at 76th and Dodge Streets has had the entire front wall removed, leaving the building wide open. Extra supports have been brought in to apparently brace the roof.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

nativeomahan wrote:The former Bag and Save at 76th and Dodge Streets has had the entire front wall removed, leaving the building wide open. Extra supports have been brought in to apparently brace the roof.
That's the Hobby Lobby.
http://www.eomahaforums.com/viewtopic.p ... y&start=40
debradomayer
Library Board

Post by debradomayer »

The US Bank inside the No Frills at 50th & G is closing on 8/28 according to my banker at that location. And according to a No Frills manager, the store itself will be closing before the end of the year. I had originally heard Labor Day, but who knows.
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

debradomayer wrote:The US Bank inside the No Frills at 50th & G is closing on 8/28 according to my banker at that location. And according to a No Frills manager, the store itself will be closing before the end of the year. I had originally heard Labor Day, but who knows.
Meanwhile, the KMart onn 50th and L refuses to die.
debradomayer
Library Board

Post by debradomayer »

I know! I haven't been in that Kmart in quite a while! It was such a dirty smelly dump! I don't live far & don't shop there
cdub
Parks & Recreation

Post by cdub »

Wow, the Papillion version got a very nice, very complete beer, liquor, wine section. Not impressed with the pricing as much but I'll keep an eye on that.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

cdub wrote:Wow, the Papillion version got a very nice, very complete beer, liquor, wine section. Not impressed with the pricing as much but I'll keep an eye on that.
84th & Giles?
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

Bag N' Save/No Frills never had the best prices on beer and liquor even before the remodel. You're better off going to Hy-Vee or waiting for sales.
Louie
County Board

Post by Louie »

jessep28 wrote:Bag N' Save/No Frills never had the best prices on beer and liquor even before the remodel. You're better off going to Hy-Vee or waiting for sales.
Yeah those chains are very ad driven. Day to day pricing and selection is much better at HyVee.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

jessep28 wrote:Bag N' Save/No Frills never had the best prices on beer and liquor even before the remodel. You're better off going to Hy-Vee or waiting for sales.
Probably the buying power of the little guys vs the national companies. The owner of the bar I worked at always complained because he could buy booze at Walmart cheaper than he could from the distributor, but in Nebraska that is not legal.
debradomayer
Library Board

Post by debradomayer »

Did my store call on the No Frills at 50th & G & was officially informed that this location will close on Dec 1. They are no longer placing orders, so when something sells out, it's gone. I will be surprised if they last til Dec. All of the department managers have left,the store manager is spending most of his time at 30th & Weber. The bakery is closed & they stopped all FTD flower sales. Sad. It was such a great store, but that was when it was Bakers
bbinks
Parks & Recreation

Post by bbinks »

Brad wrote:
Probably the buying power of the little guys vs the national companies. The owner of the bar I worked at always complained because he could buy booze at Walmart cheaper than he could from the distributor, but in Nebraska that is not legal.
I would think it might be hard to catch a small bar doing this if they bought some of their inventory on sale at a retailer.
Louie
County Board

Post by Louie »

bbinks wrote:
Brad wrote:
I would think it might be hard to catch a small bar doing this if they bought some of their inventory on sale at a retailer.
Lots of bars will send people out on weekend nights to pick up stuff that they didn't order enough of to get them through the weekend. Pretty common (and completely illegal) practice. Also more expensive for the bars to buy from a retailer.
Original
Home Owners Association

Post by Original »

Right now, there are 4 grocery stores within a mile of each other on 90th (The new Wal-mart Neighborhood market at 90th & Ohio where the Hobby Lobby was, Bag N Save at 90th & Maple, the newish Fareway off 90th & Maple, and the Aldi at 90th & Maplewood). Spartan Nash has closed a bunch of the Bag N Save's in the Central/North West part of town (76th & Dodge, Miracle Hills, 108th & Maple) in addition to some No Frills but not the two that are closest to each other, the Bag N Save at 90th & Maple, and the No Frills at 80th & Blondo. There was a Family Fare billboard near 84th and Blondo for a few months, and I am betting that the branding I bet in the next round, one of those will go and one will be remodeled, and I hope it's the 90th and Maple Bag N Save that goes and the 80th & Blondo No Frills that gets remodeled, in part because I can walk to the No Frills. But that might also mean that the whole plaza there would have to get a facelift and while it needs it, I don't know that the current tenant lineup supports the capex that would require.