Storage Units - 72 & Maple

West Omaha, Sarpy and Nebraska metro counties.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

On ghe Benson FB page they have a post about a three story storage facility going in on the southwest corner of 72 and maple where a vacant bank now sits.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Linkin5 wrote:On ghe Benson FB page they have a post about a three story storage facility going in on the southwest corner of 72 and maple where a vacant bank now sits.
Seriously? What a disappointment! Why are they trying to put these large ugly storage facilities on prime commercial lots.
mr. omaha
Home Owners Association

Re: Benson

Post by mr. omaha »

This would NEVER fly in Dundee or Blackstone. Why is the city seemingly fine with allowing this |expletive| in Benson? I feel like Benson is the ugly stepchild of Dundee and Blackstone. Without Benson's successful rise there is no Blackstone IMO, but yet Benson gets rewarded with storage facilities, a GLORIOUS Sucky's, and chunks of concrete for "benches". What a disappointment. Festersen needs to up his game.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

I actually don't mind this, it is a lot better than the abandoned bank. This intersection is pretty meh anyway, a vacant lot, Buckys and a Pawn shop already ruined the section.
mr. omaha
Home Owners Association

Post by mr. omaha »

They left off the preachy marquee sign in the renderings.
GetUrban
Planning Board

Post by GetUrban »

That doesn't look like a typical storage building. At least it could be converted to a higher use eventually. The east elevation looks pretty blank near the northeast corner though. Now if someone would develop the southeast corner with something other than a CVS.
He said "They are some big, ugly red brick buildings"
...and then they were gone.
TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board

Post by TitosBuritoBarn »

This is hardly encroaching on the Benson business district. I wouldn't necessarily consider it lost potential.
"Video game violence is not a new problem. Who could forget in the wake of SimCity how children everywhere took up urban planning." - Stephen Colbert
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

mr. omaha wrote:This would NEVER fly in Dundee or Blackstone. Why is the city seemingly fine with allowing this |expletive| in Benson? I feel like Benson is the ugly stepchild of Dundee and Blackstone. Without Benson's successful rise there is no Blackstone IMO, but yet Benson gets rewarded with storage facilities, a GLORIOUS Sucky's, and chunks of concrete for "benches". What a disappointment. Festersen needs to up his game.

It does happen in Dundee, remember CVS replacing the 49'r? The neighborhood fought that tooth and nail.

Greg
GetUrban
Planning Board

Post by GetUrban »

Greg S wrote:
mr. omaha wrote:This would NEVER fly in Dundee or Blackstone. Why is the city seemingly fine with allowing this |expletive| in Benson? I feel like Benson is the ugly stepchild of Dundee and Blackstone. Without Benson's successful rise there is no Blackstone IMO, but yet Benson gets rewarded with storage facilities, a GLORIOUS Sucky's, and chunks of concrete for "benches". What a disappointment. Festersen needs to up his game.

It does happen in Dundee, remember CVS replacing the 49'r? The neighborhood fought that tooth and nail.

Greg
I happened at northeast corner of 50th and Underwood too when the Phillips 66 built a new station with a 1 million gigawatt lighted canopy over the pumps. People fought it, but they built it anyway.

This is an improvement over what's there now on the western edge of Benson. ....not really a detriment to downtown Benson, several blocks almost a mile to the east.
iamjacobm
City Council

Re: Storage Units - 72 & Maple

Post by iamjacobm »

Storage units on any large intersection like this is kind of a waste something like this would be better suited on the land of that building that burnt down a couple blocks west. It is NBD really though, not really too large and this land has been vacant for a long time.
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

GetUrban wrote:
Greg S wrote:

Greg
I happened at northeast corner of 50th and Underwood too when the Phillips 66 built a new station with a 1 million gigawatt lighted canopy over the pumps. People fought it, but they built it anyway.

This is an improvement over what's there now on the western edge of Benson. ....not really a detriment to downtown Benson, several blocks almost a mile to the east.
What was there before the gas station?
Louie
County Board

Post by Louie »

mr. omaha wrote:They left off the preachy marquee sign in the renderings.
No kidding. The one on like 148th and Maple is annoying.
GetUrban
Planning Board

Post by GetUrban »

Linkin5 wrote:
GetUrban wrote:
Greg S wrote:

Greg

The new one was just a replacement for the 1940's? era Phillips 66 service station that was there before. not much demand for the old full-service gas stations any more.....especially when they can make more money selling snacks and convenience store stuff.
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

GetUrban wrote:
Linkin5 wrote:
GetUrban wrote:
Greg S wrote:

Greg

The new one was just a replacement for the 1940's? era Phillips 66 service station that was there before. not much demand for the old full-service gas stations any more.....especially when they can make more money selling snacks and convenience store stuff.
Thanks, can't be too upset with them keeping their land and rebuilding. I really hope Creighton sells their parking lot land and it is developed, that is a crucial intersection plot which would make Dundee look a lot more complete.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Storage unit moving forward.

mr. omaha
Home Owners Association

Post by mr. omaha »

WOW! That looks absolutely AMAZING........................ NOT!!!!!!!

GetUrban
Planning Board

Post by GetUrban »

That has been approved? Assuming that is metal roofing, hope they have some snow guards to keep snow and ice from sliding off into maple street and the sidewalk. That building literally turns its back on the corner.
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

That rendering looks like it was a scene from South Park.
When fortune smiles on something as violent and ugly as revenge, it seems proof like no other that not only does God exist, you're doing his will.

The Bride
Original
Home Owners Association

Post by Original »

It's better than the abandoned bank that has sat there for 4 years. Or the vacant lot across the street. Or the Sol's on the other corner.
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

Original wrote:It's better than the abandoned bank that has sat there for 4 years. Or the vacant lot across the street. Or the Sol's on the other corner.
Totally agree.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

It will be more than fine there. I mentioned before that I don't really like using a corner on a big intersection for such a passive use I think storage units are better suited mid-block, but that thought stands for every part of the city not b/c this is Benson. Obviously no one was interested in doing retail here though.