Cornhusker Highway Between I-80 Exits

Capital city news and discussion.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

mrsticka
Parks & Recreation

Cornhusker Highway Between I-80 Exits

Post by mrsticka »

You know how Cornhusker Highway has 2 exits from I-80; 399 and 409? Some routes like that are designated as Business Loops. So how come Cornhusker isn't?
Coyote
City Council

Re: Cornhusker Highway Between I-80 Exits

Post by Coyote »

Probably because it is part of Highway 6 and not an alternative loop to I-80, just a parallel route.
mrsticka
Parks & Recreation

Post by mrsticka »

I see.

So what would make a business loop? NW 48th from I-80 (395) to West O, then West O from NW 48th to Sun Valley, Sun Valley from West O to 10th/11th, 11th from Sun Valley to Cornhusker and Cornhusker to I-80 (409)?
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

What would make a business loop?

First of all I think that designation is almost a misnomer. I see it as highways which typically ran through the Central Business District of cities, but in order to expedite interstate traffic, the DOT decided to make a bypass around their businesses, creating the real alternative 'loop', and then designating this new main route as part of, say I-80, and the original route as, say Business 80. I would see such a 'loop' as being a short, maybe 2 mile offshoot of the now major route.

But I have always thought of O St. (Hwy 34) as being the old Business District Highway of Lincoln, and not being a quick exit and re-entrance of a major highway, it would not qualify as a loop. Just my musings though...
mrsticka
Parks & Recreation

Post by mrsticka »

Well, okay. Never hurts to ask. Lincoln has a better chance of having a road being designated a business loop for I-80 than Omaha. At least, in my view.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

mrsticka wrote:Well, okay. Never hurts to ask. Lincoln has a better chance of having a road being designated a business loop for I-80 than Omaha. At least, in my view.
Now that I would agree with, but I am no expert in transportation, even though I did serve on MAPA back in the '80's :P

From my understanding Route 30 (Lincoln Highway) or Highway 6 (Grand Army of the Republic Highway) were the main highways through Nebraska until I-80 was built, the first section of I-80 built in the early 60's being between Omaha (Hwy 6 - West Dodge) and 'West' Lincoln (Hwy 2/34), so technically in Omaha, Hwy 6 was our business district loop.

But in either case, I doubt people would ever see an alternative stretch of I-80 as a loop in either city, now that interchanges have turned into quick business exits in modern times. Why go down a stretch of a city that no longer has the amenities someone would be looking for in a business loop, ie. Restaurants, motels, gas stations, when you can find that at any major interstate interchange...

So I guess this begs the question... What businesses would you expect in a loop off the interstate/main highway, that now are not being satisfied by I-80 interchanges.
mrsticka
Parks & Recreation

Post by mrsticka »

Coyote wrote:What businesses would you expect in a loop off the interstate/main highway, that now are not being satisfied by I-80 interchanges.
Just the usual stuff like hotels, restaurants, gas stations, warehouses, office buildings. Nothing out of the ordinary.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

As a side note, and maybe a case in point...

We had family in Estes Park, Colorado since the 30's and would, since I was born in '61, visit every summer. The main goal each year was to get to the mountains a quick as possible, and then, enjoy a pleasure drive up the Big Thompson Canyon. Once the interstate system was built, you could pack lunches and just take the wood sided station wagon on a straight shot towards your designation. Maybe it was my father's generation that said the |expletive| with 'getting your kicks on highway 66' lets get there by dinner time. In my lifetime I have travelled from Omaha to the mountains more times than I can count, and from my memory, it was always the quickest route, damn if we have to slow down going through these Podunk cities in between.

It was not until I moved back to Omaha a dozen years ago that I actually decided to drive the Lincoln Highway for nostalgia sake, to admire each cities' architecture and history, visit places like Wild Bill's North Platte store, the 100th Meridian... To go off the beaten path (I-80) and enjoy what rural Nebraska has to offer. How many people do this today? How many people want to take a leisurely cruise in a convertible down Route 66 or the Lincoln Highway, listening to Nickleback, and just chillin?
mrsticka
Parks & Recreation

Post by mrsticka »

Okay, you stumped me.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

mrsticka wrote:Okay, you stumped me.
I'm not trying to stump you, just presenting my point of view with regards to your original question, which made me ponder a few auxiliary questions, particularly, the decline of 'business loops' in our highway, or better yet, interstate system. There are still loops being created, I think the one around Wahoo would be a good case in point... Expediency vs amenities, and what are our expectations with regards to auto travel in today's generation.

{edit} lesser yet, expectations in bus travel or train travel... Or even plane travel... How does an airport terminal mimic an interstate exchange. You expect almost the same... Restaurants, gift shops, entertainment... If there were not newsstands/bookstores and coffee shops in a terminal, I would claim this airfield was lacking in amenities...
mrsticka
Parks & Recreation

Post by mrsticka »

I know you didn't mean to. I just didn't know how to answer your questions. Maybe you're right. Perhaps we don't need a business loop for I-80 here in County #2. We've gotten along just fine without one these last 5 decades.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

mrsticka wrote:I know you didn't mean to. I just didn't know how to answer your questions. Maybe you're right. Perhaps we don't need a business loop for I-80 here in County #2. We've gotten along just fine without one these last 5 decades.
Or perhaps modern day interstate interchanges make 'business loops' irrelevant.
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

I really enjoy traveling the major US highways when I can. Yes, the speed limit is lower, but there's way less traffic and it's a nice change in scenery to pass through small towns versus generic interchanges.
Verbum Domini Manet in Aeternum
mrsticka
Parks & Recreation

Post by mrsticka »

Lincoln can do something Omaha can't: Have a business loop for I-80. I guess I was just thinking in a simplistic view: I-80 has 2 exits to Cornhusker; 399 and 409. But like Coyote said, is that reason enough for having one?
GetUrban
Planning Board

Post by GetUrban »

Most highways historically went right through cities and towns. Eventually, as traffic increased, bypasses we're routed around the main business districts, to reduce congestion for those just passing through, leaving the old highways through the business districts designated as "business loops."

You could say I-480 is our business loop, since it takes you downtown. The loop continues back onto I-80 over in CB. And you could consider I-680 a bypass for those travelers wanting to head north to I-29 to Sioux City.

I've taken a few long trips staying mainly on two lane highways...such as from Oregon into Washington, and across Idaho, Montana, into north Dakota, South Dakota, back to Nevraska. And also across northern Missouri to the Mississippi river following it down to the gulf cost and Florida taking mostly two lane highways. It's a great way to see the country from a different perspective. Highway 2 across Nebraska is something every Nebraskan should see, for starters.
He said "They are some big, ugly red brick buildings"
...and then they were gone.
BRoss
IT Director

Post by BRoss »

72nd St used to be Hwy 275 Business years ago. I think between L St and Dodge.
GetUrban
Planning Board

Post by GetUrban »

It seems like an unnecessary designation nowadays in any sizable city, since most people have smart phones and will find businesses they are looking for that way. Plus, on the interstate, there are usually blue signs with some businesses listed at each exit....albeit fast food, gas, lodging, hospitals, etc.
He said "They are some big, ugly red brick buildings"
...and then they were gone.
brick
New to the Neighborhood

Post by brick »

One reason this is not a loop is because US-6 only crosses I-80 once...at Waverly, not twice as has been discussed.. US-6 does not intersect with I-80 at the airport exit, it follows Sun Valley Boulevard down to O-St, over US 77 and continues west. The Cornhusker Hwy designation is just a local name for the highway.

Plus, I don't think the business loop designations are really used anymore. Some still exist, but I don't know of any new ones being established in recent times.