Old photos

Share your photographs and videos taken from around the metro

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

RNcyanide
Planning Board

Re: Old photos

Post by RNcyanide »

Is that the medical arts building I see between CPP and First National?
When fortune smiles on something as violent and ugly as revenge, it seems proof like no other that not only does God exist, you're doing his will.

The Bride
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

RNcyanide wrote:Is that the medical arts building I see between CPP and First National?
Yes, between CPP and the Old FNB tower.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

This photos has been making the rounds the past few days...

Photo was taken from the Vinton Street Bridge in Omaha looking north towards the Martha street bridge
Collection of Chris Zygmunt wrote:UP's only coal turbine electric makes a test run as many officials look on. This locomotive was an experimental and didn't run very much as it was deemed a failure. A set of diesels was always in the consist for protection power. In service photos are extremely rare. Photo was taken by Jack Pfeifer.

Photo Page:
http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.p ... 972&nseq=9
Collection:
http://www.railpictures.net/showphotos.php?userid=68983
choke
Human Relations

Post by choke »

The mighty 72nd and Dodge!
Attachments
Omaha1973_02_2000-700x464.jpg
Omaha1973_02_2000-700x464.jpg (86.55 KiB) Viewed 19663 times
Omaha1973_01_2000-700x460.jpg
Omaha1973_01_2000-700x460.jpg (77.71 KiB) Viewed 19663 times
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

I never knew that there were railroad tracks near 72nd and Dodge at one point.
Verbum Domini Manet in Aeternum
choke
Human Relations

Post by choke »

jessep28 wrote:I never knew that there were railroad tracks near 72nd and Dodge at one point.

I was born that year. The only things I remember in those pictures is Wolf Brothers and Hinky Dinky. Of course, Wolf Brothers is still there and so is that sign.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

jessep28 wrote:I never knew that there were railroad tracks near 72nd and Dodge at one point.
I was going to point you to this thread, but all the links are dead.

http://www.eomahaforums.com/viewtopic.p ... wes+Photos

Yes, there was a massive Grain Elevator where Lowes is now and a rail yard next to it. The tracks ran north to Irvington where they split. One line ran to Bennington and the other turned ease and basically followed the Sorenson Parkway to North Omaha. Southbound the tracks went through Aksarben and then east and met the UP by the 80/480/JFK junction.
Trips
Library Board

Post by Trips »

I do not see one pothole or patched up road. The roads and sidewalks all look new. When did that change?
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

Brad wrote:

Yes, there was a massive Grain Elevator where Lowes is now and a rail yard next to it. The tracks ran north to Irvington where they split. One line ran to Bennington and the other turned ease and basically followed the Sorenson Parkway to North Omaha. Southbound the tracks went through Aksarben and then east and met the UP by the 80/480/JFK junction.
I saw the grain elevator in the Peony aerial linked on page two, and figured the tracks were tied in with that. I'll have to look at the old aerial photos on Google maps or Douglas County GIS to visualize the layout. I was born in the first half of the 1980's and didn't move to Omaha until 1990 when I was young, so a lot of this stuff was before my time.
Verbum Domini Manet in Aeternum
daveoma
Parks & Recreation

Post by daveoma »

jessep28 wrote:
Brad wrote:

I saw the grain elevator in the Peony aerial linked on page two, and figured the tracks were tied in with that. I'll have to look at the old aerial photos on Google maps or Douglas County GIS to visualize the layout. I was born in the first half of the 1980's and didn't move to Omaha until 1990 when I was young, so a lot of this stuff was before my time.
It says I'm not authorized to read the forum.
choke
Human Relations

Post by choke »

I believe 32nd & L. Not sure who the kid is.
Attachments
16104.jpeg
16104.jpeg (32.94 KiB) Viewed 19448 times
choke
Human Relations

Post by choke »

The pool should have been saved.
Attachments
12529.jpeg
12529.jpeg (53.92 KiB) Viewed 19404 times
GRANDPASMUCKER
Human Relations

Post by GRANDPASMUCKER »

I swam in that pool hundreds of times in the early and mid 70's. I learned to swim like a fish in that pool after awhile. What was crazy was it only cost a quarter to get in the main gate at Peony Park and another 75 cents to get in the pool. Why anyone would waste their time going to a city pool was beyond me. Sometimes when money was tight we would go up the stairs to the skyrail and jump down over the fence so we could save the 75 cents for an ice cream cone and a couple games of pinball in the arcade. Those were the days!
choke
Human Relations

Post by choke »

GRANDPASMUCKER wrote:I swam in that pool hundreds of times in the early and mid 70's. I learned to swim like a fish in that pool after awhile. What was crazy was it only cost a quarter to get in the main gate at Peony Park and another 75 cents to get in the pool. Why anyone would waste their time going to a city pool was beyond me. Sometimes when money was tight we would go up the stairs to the skyrail and jump down over the fence so we could save the 75 cents for an ice cream cone and a couple games of pinball in the arcade. Those were the days!
Plus, it had sand like a beach! Now it's a Hy-Vee. Whoop-de-doo.
Omababe
Planning Board

Post by Omababe »

choke wrote:Plus, it had sand like a beach! Now it's a Hy-Vee. Whoop-de-doo.
I only got to go there a few times. It didn't seem like a swimming pool at all, it was an inland beach.

I LOVED those three fountains out in the middle!
tanman
New to the Neighborhood

Post by tanman »

A few more old photos, more to come...
Attachments
1975.jpg (166.32 KiB) Viewed 19259 times
1941.jpg (86.55 KiB) Viewed 19259 times
1950's
1950's
omaha50's.jpg (104.64 KiB) Viewed 19259 times
BRoss
IT Director

Post by BRoss »

Wow, I love that second one! It's sickening to see how much density has been lost over the years.
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

Aside from the old Woodmen building, what are the other 2 or 3 brick buildings lumped together?
When fortune smiles on something as violent and ugly as revenge, it seems proof like no other that not only does God exist, you're doing his will.

The Bride
daveoma
Parks & Recreation

Post by daveoma »

OH WOW!! I love the one with the old U.P. building with the WOW building behind it. I looked up this stretch of road on Google maps and found 2 interesting things:
1. 15th street doesn't go all the through anymore due to the FNBO park and
2. 15th street still curves to the west where the railroad used to be. It looks like the land is going to be a part of the Yard development.

It's so crazy to think how much things have changed. It's astounding. Thank you for posting these picutres! :thumb:
tanman
New to the Neighborhood

Post by tanman »

There is an amazing collection of photos at landmark.cityofomaha.org. The Meyer Collection and Survey Images are packed with photos of downtown and Jobber's Canyon and lots of other pictures of the Omaha area as well. The Medical Arts building/downtown pictured here are from that collection.
Attachments
medicalarts.jpg
medicalarts.jpg (92.19 KiB) Viewed 19261 times
downtown.jpg
downtown.jpg (135.07 KiB) Viewed 19261 times
DTOld9.jpg
DTOld9.jpg (207.6 KiB) Viewed 19261 times
tanman
New to the Neighborhood

Post by tanman »

This is from the Omaha World Herald. January, 1966. 14th and Locust St.
Attachments
tumblr_n6ljezQZKZ1qfp85qo1_1280.jpg
tumblr_n6ljezQZKZ1qfp85qo1_1280.jpg (131.67 KiB) Viewed 19260 times
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

Hotel Fontenelle looms

Note Tip Top to left
Shoot for the Moon... if you miss, you'll land among the stars.
Midwestern
Home Owners Association

Post by Midwestern »

It seems like we've lost a much higher percentage of our 10+ story historic buildings than other similar cities.

Sure do wish we still had the Medical Arts building, Hotel Fontenelle, and the old WOW tower. If I could choose to bring something back, I'd rather have those three than Jobbers Canyon. But the reality is all of them are gone forever. :(

The AT&T building sure used to be beautiful!
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

tanman wrote:This is from the Omaha World Herald. January, 1966. 14th and Locust St.
Love this photo!

While not exactly the same location, reminds me of this photo I took back in 2006.

daveoma
Parks & Recreation

Post by daveoma »

Nice photo Brad. :D
PotatoeEatsFish
Human Relations

Post by PotatoeEatsFish »

Some developer please build a replica of the Fontenelle in the old market. That way it won't be demolished for the next hundred years.
#SaveTheUglyGrainSilos2024
GetUrban
Planning Board

Post by GetUrban »

PotatoeEatsFish wrote:Some developer please build a replica of the Fontenelle in the old market. That way it won't be demolished for the next hundred years.
I'd rather they rebuild the old WOW building in its original location and put the Fontenelle replica next to that.
He said "They are some big, ugly red brick buildings"
...and then they were gone.
Midwestern
Home Owners Association

Post by Midwestern »

GetUrban wrote:
PotatoeEatsFish wrote:Some developer please build a replica of the Fontenelle in the old market. That way it won't be demolished for the next hundred years.
I'd rather they rebuild the old WOW building in its original location and put the Fontenelle replica next to that.
Speaking of the WOW building's original location...

If and when the state building is torn down, would they be able to preserve the underground parking portion and then re-build something on top of that? Having underground parking is a huge plus for that location. How many underground stalls do they have, does anyone know?

Would it even be possible to do a replica of the Fontenelle's crown these days? Does anyone in this country even make stuff like that anymore?
Joe_Sovereign
Library Board

Post by Joe_Sovereign »

What is the building that was torn down on Douglas Street for the Woodmen Tower Parking Garage?

l-dude
Home Owners Association

Post by l-dude »

Joe_Sovereign wrote:What is the building that was torn down on Douglas Street for the Woodmen Tower Parking Garage?

The buildings on the current site of the woodman are (east to west), The Bee Newspaper building and then west, the Omaha City Hall. The "C" shaped building just north on the same block was known as the Brandeis Theater (bldg) ...in my memory...as there was an earlier, Orpheum like (size & layout) live theater in the center of the "C", practically invisible in this view. The rest of the building had the typical office space/living units, etc, of many of the buildings of that era.
choke
Human Relations

Post by choke »

The Golden Spike! Huber Chevrolet now occupies this site.
Attachments
gold.JPG
gold.JPG (215.45 KiB) Viewed 18909 times
daveoma
Parks & Recreation

Post by daveoma »

Gay nineties? :what:
ricko
Parks & Recreation

Post by ricko »

daveoma wrote:Gay nineties? :what:
This ad was probably from the 1950's. There were likely still a few people around who remembered the 1890's as some kind of "golden era". At one time, there were names for certain decades: Gay 90's, Roaring 20's, Fabulous 50's, Swinging 60's. "Gay" had a different meaning back then. BTW, I remember getting in trouble for attending an all-night Clint Eastwood movie marathon at this drive-in around the early 70's.
choke
Human Relations

Post by choke »

Big Bronco Burger
Attachments
broncos.gif
broncos.gif (196.93 KiB) Viewed 18754 times
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Omaha: 1960
What do you see?
image.jpg
image.jpg (255.54 KiB) Viewed 17856 times
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Is that Crossroads?
Spatial77
Home Owners Association

Post by Spatial77 »

Lewis and Clark Jr. High in the upper left, the Omaha Playhose upper center, the big grain elevator where NFM warehouse is (Mrs. B was still downtown), and "little boxes made of ticky tacky". Also, there was a drive in movie theater in the flats below Sears. My folks took us to a couple of movies there, but I usually fell asleep in the back of the station wagon.
"Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future." -- Niels Bohr
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Amazing how that area has changed.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

District 66 when it was new.

That's Broadmoor drive entering in half way up the left side and it runs over to the green-space that adjoins Swanson Elementary.
You can also see Christ the King right on the right edge, so Countryside Village is just out of frame to the right.
That's south 91st circle at the bottom which makes the street with the white car 90th back when it was only 2 lanes.

Back in High-school, I accidentally had my VW bug up on two wheels raking that curve on Broadmoor. Going too fast and hit some wet leaves. Scares the |expletive| out of us!
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Anyone on here latched on to the Facebook group... Forgotten Omaha

https://www.facebook.com/groups/9763096 ... 3/?fref=nf
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!