2016 KC Royals

Metro area and region sports discussion

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

iamjacobm
City Council

2016 KC Royals

Post by iamjacobm »

Going to be a huge offseason to see if the Royals can repeat. Rios and Guthrie were both not picked up for those team options next season saving the club a combined $22 million.

The biggest question will be if Gordon will give the team a hometown discount. Some tumors out there that the Cubs might throw a lot of money his way.
Coyote
City Council

Re: 2016 KC Royals

Post by Coyote »

iamjacobm wrote: Some tumors out there that the Cubs might throw a lot of money his way.
That would be one upset stomach.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Haha phone corrected rumors to tumors.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Gordon just turned down the player option and now is officially a free agent.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Coyote wrote:Gordon just turned down the player option and now is officially a free agent.
I guess I was 100% sure that he would do that. I think he will take a little less than the open market and be back in KC for a 4 - 5 year contract. We will see.
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Well the good news for Royals is that this does not mean he won't be back... We just gotta hope the Royals pony up after he tests the free agent market.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

The other big names are Cueto(obviously gone) and Zobrist. I am sure they would love to make it work with Zobrist, but I really think a guy like Colon or even Mondesi can be a solid 2B. Will be interesting to see if Orlando gets the every day RF job, there are two big bats sitting in Omaha waiting for a shot too. Need to find two more decent starters. Right now Ventura and Volquez are the only two guys we know will be there for next season. Vargas coming off Tommy John's and Chris Young is a free agent.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

I do think RF will be a Orlando Dyson combo. That will save them some big dollars to go after Gordon and or Zobrist.

Greg
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Zobrist wants to return, but he knows they will be going after Gordo big time.
RHP Wade Davis and SS Alcides Escobar are coming back.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Zobrist market was too rich for KC. He is between Mets and Cubs reports are saying.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

There is some chatter that the Royals don't want to be too locked into 3 OFs long term b/c they want Starling in the majors for 2017. Dyson will get a lot of PT this season it seems.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

iamjacobm wrote:Zobrist market was too rich for KC. He is between Mets and Cubs reports are saying.
Cubs win. :cry:
4 yr/$56m
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Coyote wrote:
iamjacobm wrote:Zobrist market was too rich for KC. He is between Mets and Cubs reports are saying.
Cubs win. :cry:
4 yr/$56m
He is a really good player, but I would have been more disappointed if the Royals paid him that much.

The Cubs are going down the Yankee, Red Sox, Dodger, Angel path to team building right now. KC is probably going to follow the STL model where you simply can't over pay those aging guys and have to trust your farm system with a key move here and there.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

He's the perfect NL player being so versatile for all the switches. No way KC was going that high and long for a 34 year old with a recent knee surgery. Zobrist was a great mid season trade for KC.

I love that KC brought Soria back. Also thought they got a steal on the Chris Young deal.

Greg
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Greg S wrote:He's the perfect NL player being so versatile for all the switches. No way KC was going that high and long for a 34 year old with a recent knee surgery. Zobrist was a great mid season trade for KC.

I love that KC brought Soria back. Also thought they got a steal on the Chris Young deal.

Greg
So where do you thing things will end up with Gordon? I still feel he will be back as a Royal in the spring.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Last I heard, they were good with the money, but the years on the contract were holding things up. Seeing what the Cards offer...
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Coyote wrote:Last I heard, they were good with the money, but the years on the contract were holding things up. Seeing what the Cards offer...

Same I have heard. My bet it he will be back but with the agent he has one would expect nothing but the most cut throat negotiations.
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

Rumors have the Tigers looking at Gordon. That'd be funny.
No posts exist for this topic
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Rumor has it that there is no chance the Royals will be re-signing Gordon, they are offering 4 years @ $13M he is seeking $20M for many more years.
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

Coyote wrote:Rumor has it that there is no chance the Royals will be re-signing Gordon, they are offering 4 years @ $13M he is seeking $20M for many more years.
Good for Gordon, get that money.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Coyote wrote:Rumor has it that there is no chance the Royals will be re-signing Gordon, they are offering 4 years @ $13M he is seeking $20M for many more years.

I still think he will be back in KC for somewhere between those numbers. Untill he has singed a contract anything you here is all part of the negotiating strategy.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Gordon denies ruling out return to KC
Outfielder weighing options, hopes to see market heat up

MLB.com wrote:According to a CBS Sports report, the Royals were informed by Gordon's camp they had "no chance" to re-sign the star left fielder as things stood on Dec. 23. "I talked to my agent and he was kind of curious where that came from, too," Gordon said while at a clinic he hosted in Omaha, Neb. "He called the Royals, wanted to know where it came from, and obviously they had no idea either. "We're still in talks and hoping something works out."

"I think everyone wants to build their team around pitching, so that's why all the pitchers are going first," Gordon said. "All the teams want to feel that process out first and then dive into the outfielders." "I think once one guy signs, it might start to heat up a little bit," Gordon said. "We just need that one guy to sign. Hopefully it's me."
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

Alex Gordon has re-signed with KC. 4 years $72 million according to reports. Opening Day he will get his ring then go to Left Field.

Greg
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Greg S wrote:Alex Gordon has re-signed with KC. 4 years $72 million according to reports. Opening Day he will get his ring then go to Left Field.
Great News!
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Gordon signs a 4 year / $72M with the ROYALS!!!

{Edit} You beat me to it
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

nebugeater wrote:

I still think he will be back in KC for somewhere between those numbers. Untill he has singed a contract anything you here is all part of the negotiating strategy.

Called it! :mrgreen:
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

nebugeater wrote:
nebugeater wrote:
Yes you did! The Royals ponied up the coin and Gordon lessened his years...
His presence will generate a lot of revenue both in tickets and in merchandising
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Coyote wrote:
nebugeater wrote:
nebugeater wrote:
Yes you did! The Royals ponied up the coin and Gordon lessened his years...
His presence will generate a lot of revenue both in tickets and in merchandising
I will also now predict that he will finish out his playing career in KC. This was his big contract opportunity and he did good and got to stay in KC. After four more years he will sign what it take to ride into the sunset as a player in KC. The next George Brett.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

OK Carnac, If he is with KC in 2020 I will buy you a beer! :cheers:
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

:cheers: :thumb:
Coyote wrote:OK Carnac, If he is with KC in 2020 I will buy you a beer! :cheers:
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

Between Soria, Gordon and Kennedy (along with a few other deals) the Royals are close to spending $200 million this off season. It's weird even typing that.

Greg
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

And Cain just signed yesterday...

... and today is officially one month until Pitchers and Catchers report.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

They pare planning on selling a lot of World Series Hats to foot the bill!

On a serious note, because I have not looked. Have ticket prices for the coming season changed?
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

nebugeater wrote:They pare planning on selling a lot of World Series Hats to foot the bill!

On a serious note, because I have not looked. Have ticket prices for the coming season changed?

I don't think they've announced prices yet. Also still waiting for their promotions schedule to be released.

I was in KC in November and it was crazy how all the World Series stuff was selling.

They've got Fan Fest at the end of the month. We used to go when it was in the Overland Park convention center. They've since moved to the big main convention center (Bartle Hall) downtown. They had record crowds last year (10k over their previous record) and they are expecting such large crowds this year that they are assigning you times based on your ticket on when you can enter to keep it somewhat under control.

We can't go anymore because I coach my son's hockey team and we have practices and games on the weekend, but I highly recommend it for any Royals fan on here. Always have had a blast.

Greg
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Greg S wrote:
nebugeater wrote:They pare planning on selling a lot of World Series Hats to foot the bill!

I don't think they've announced prices yet. Also still waiting for their promotions schedule to be released.

I was in KC in November and it was crazy how all the World Series stuff was selling.

They've got Fan Fest at the end of the month. We used to go when it was in the Overland Park convention center. They've since moved to the big main convention center (Bartle Hall) downtown. They had record crowds last year (10k over their previous record) and they are expecting such large crowds this year that they are assigning you times based on your ticket on when you can enter to keep it somewhat under control.

We can't go anymore because I coach my son's hockey team and we have practices and games on the weekend, but I highly recommend it for any Royals fan on here. Always have had a blast.

Greg
I believe I saw where game TIMES were announced for the upcoming scheduled today, or maybe it was yesterday. Can't imagine that the promotions and pricing are far behind.

(did you see the last PM)
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

P Ian Kennedy was just finalized. 5 years $70m.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Mike Patterson OWH wrote: Royals news ... the 'Trophy Tour' (World Series trophy only, no players) to be in Omaha on Feb. 9, 6-8 p.m. at Hy-Vee, 97th & Q.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

Huge turnout for this last night at Hy Vee. It will be back in Omaha at Werner Park on May 24th.

Greg
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Greg S wrote:Huge turnout for this last night at Hy Vee. It will be back in Omaha at Werner Park on May 24th.
Crowd lookd big in some of the photos I saw. I am glad to hear its coming to Werner since I didn't have time to go last night.