Omaha Steel Castings Redevelopment

Downtown, Midtown, and all parts east of 72nd.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

frankt
New to the Neighborhood

Re: Omaha Steel Castings Property

Post by frankt »

This surprised me.
The med center also is looking at developing the old Omaha Steel Casting site at 46th and Farnam with housing, restaurants, stores and a hotel.
http://www.omaha.com/news/metro/it-s-ti ... e38ca.html
Seth
Parks & Recreation

Post by Seth »

frankt wrote:This surprised me.
The med center also is looking at developing the old Omaha Steel Casting site at 46th and Farnam with housing, restaurants, stores and a hotel.
http://www.omaha.com/news/metro/it-s-ti ... e38ca.html
Hasn't there been at least rumors of UNMC building a mixed-use development here for a while?

How would that work in reality? I can't imagine they'd be the owner and manager, but arrange some kind of long-term lease agreement for the property to a developer and real estate management firm, right?
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

There has been a lot torn down here recently.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

iamjacobm wrote:There has been a lot torn down here recently.
Drove by yesterday, hard to believe. I think the lot looks smaller without the buildings.

MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

Can't wait to see a plan for it all.
15-17, 26, 32
Fresh03
New to the Neighborhood

Post by Fresh03 »

The ACE Rent to Own sticks out like a sore thumb cause it is all blocked off from the fences surrounding it.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Brad wrote:
iamjacobm wrote:There has been a lot torn down here recently.
Drove by yesterday, hard to believe. I think the lot looks smaller without the buildings.
Funny I had the exact opposite thought. Never realized how far back it goes from Saddle Creek.
Ramlco
New to the Neighborhood

Post by Ramlco »

Anyone heard anything more on this? It looks like they have all but a couple of the building torn down in there. This could be a really cool development area.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Aerial Photo Update.
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

All that land that's going to make a nice parking lot.
15-17, 26, 32
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

MTO wrote:All that land that's going to make a nice parking lot.
Looking at the photo, looks like most of it is already used as a parking lot...
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

All the construction workers park here.
Seth
Parks & Recreation

Post by Seth »

iamjacobm wrote:All the construction workers park here.
Yeah, that's where all the craft workers for the FPBCC project park. I doubt you'll see much go on here until that project is winding down. The latest talk I've heard is that UNMC wants to develop this area with commercial, retail, and service businesses that will serve the Nebraska Med patients and families (i.e. restaurants, haircuts, etc). I don't know if it will be just more strip-mall styled places like Saddle Creek north of Dodge, but I have to imagine they'd place some focus on pedestrian connectivity to the campus, since that would be convenient, and I doubt they want to encourage more people driving around the campus short distances clogging up the streets if they don't need to.
Ramlco
New to the Neighborhood

Post by Ramlco »

It would be awesome if they could do something like this in that last building standing:

http://www.thesourcedenver.com/

Basically, they took an old iron foundry in Denver and made it into a bunch of high end shops and restaurants.
Athomsfere
Planning Board

Post by Athomsfere »

Ramlco wrote:It would be awesome if they could do something like this in that last building standing:

http://www.thesourcedenver.com/

Basically, they took an old iron foundry in Denver and made it into a bunch of high end shops and restaurants.
I wouldn't mind seeing that! I really like that building.

As a backup plan, something like the shops around Aksarben Would be nice too.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

Are they no longer planning to expand the NU Med Center to the west? I thought this property was involved in those plans.

GReg
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

I think someone on here made the comment that a lot of dirt could need to be hauled away or capped here b/c of the work that was being done for decades on the land.

My guess would be that some form of pond/park space for flood prevention goes in. A mix of retail, apartments and hotels fill out the site. Not sure if Office would be a big component here or not. How urban the design is really anyone's guess. I hope there will be structured parking to use the land more efficiently, but who knows what is more important to Nebraska Med.
Taco
Human Relations

Post by Taco »

iamjacobm wrote: My guess would be that some form of pond/park space for flood prevention goes in. A mix of retail, apartments and hotels fill out the site. Not sure if Office would be a big component here or not. How urban the design is really anyone's guess. I hope there will be structured parking to use the land more efficiently, but who knows what is more important to Nebraska Med.
UNMC makes huge efforts to be urban and progressive in order to attract doctors and medical students from afar to Nebraska. My guess is that this development will have an urban feel, but it'll be a wait because they want to do it right. Flood prevention will be a necessity, it'd be a plus if that is done through park space.
bigredmed
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed »

Taco wrote:
iamjacobm wrote: My guess would be that some form of pond/park space for flood prevention goes in. A mix of retail, apartments and hotels fill out the site. Not sure if Office would be a big component here or not. How urban the design is really anyone's guess. I hope there will be structured parking to use the land more efficiently, but who knows what is more important to Nebraska Med.
UNMC makes huge efforts to be urban and progressive in order to attract doctors and medical students from afar to Nebraska. My guess is that this development will have an urban feel, but it'll be a wait because they want to do it right. Flood prevention will be a necessity, it'd be a plus if that is done through park space.
Saddlecreek road wants to border the cemetary and leave lots of space for more research space. The space where the current road is would be great for a series of ponds that interlock like heck Creek through Sterling Ridge. The ponds will hold back water and act as water features, yet be connected in a way that floods will simply flow through quickly. Parklike space around them.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

What was the last we heard about moving Saddle Creek? Can it even be done now with all the new fast food places in the way? Have we ever seen plans on how/where it might be moved?
Ramlco
New to the Neighborhood

Post by Ramlco »

The project got a couple million dollars back in 2007 for HDR to do a study on it. I really haven't seen anything significant on it after 2007.

http://app1.unmc.edu/PublicAffairs/Toda ... match=3993
Varsity
New to the Neighborhood

Post by Varsity »

This is the only other thing I can remember seeing. Obviously old and plans change, but kind of gives you an idea of what UNMC have in mind as far as future growth and Saddle Creek realignment.

Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Ah yes, I remember that map. Thanks for finding that!
Unfortunately that only shows south of Farnam.
The major problem solving will be north.
Seth
Parks & Recreation

Post by Seth »

A lot has changed since that site plan from the old 2005-2015 master plan (which, BTW, when are they releasing an updated one?). The cancer center, which wasn't even on the old master plan, will provided a lot of the new research space they were looking to build, and my impression is that they're now looking to put any future dedicated research space down the hill from Emile on either the surface lot or the old OPPD building they acquired.

I think the Saddle Creek relocation has a pretty slim chance of actually happening. Too much cost and coordination for something that people only realize is a problem on rare occasions.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

It sure would make for a better campus setting though.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

I don't know their name, but I heard Nebraska Med is going to have a group out of Denver develop this area.
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

The property is just about all cleaned out.
15-17, 26, 32
RockHarbor
Planning Board

Post by RockHarbor »

I noticed all that digging around there. I was wondering what is going on...

I love that UNMC area. It's become a decent, nice clump of high rises.
I can get pushed out because I'm "too much" for some. Then, an observer of me comes suddenly swooping in to "fill my shoes." People are always more accepting of the new one, because their feathers aren't truly ruffled by them. (Yawn) I can count on it every time.
OmahaJaysCU
Planning Board

Post by OmahaJaysCU »

iamjacobm wrote:I don't know their name, but I heard Nebraska Med is going to have a group out of Denver develop this area.
Who is partnering with a key local developer. Haven't heard when it will be announced but they've been awarded the project.
hatwate
Library Board

Post by hatwate »

OmahaJaysCU wrote:
iamjacobm wrote:I don't know their name, but I heard Nebraska Med is going to have a group out of Denver develop this area.
Who is partnering with a key local developer. Haven't heard when it will be announced but they've been awarded the project.
What ever happened with this?
aaaron
New to the Neighborhood

Post by aaaron »

There's been very little activity on the site. This weekend I saw a forklift moving some stuff out of the west building into the east, but that's about it.
MSizlack
Home Owners Association

Post by MSizlack »

Talked with someone at UNMC today. Asked about the old steel plant. Said it was still a go. Believes the current hold up is that they want to acquire ALL the property before starting.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Aerial Photo from my flight this fall:

Taco
Human Relations

Post by Taco »

Short blurb in OWH today about this property. Said they want to delay a decision on potentially converting Farnam for a couple of months to find out more about the board of regents' plans for this property. Likely just another "6-8 weeks" type deal, but good to hear something.
Louie
County Board

Post by Louie »

Taco wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 7:37 am Short blurb in OWH today about this property. Said they want to delay a decision on potentially converting Farnam for a couple of months to find out more about the board of regents' plans for this property. Likely just another "6-8 weeks" type deal, but good to hear something.
What does converting Farnam entail?
hatwate
Library Board

Post by hatwate »

Louie wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 12:54 pm
Taco wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 7:37 am Short blurb in OWH today about this property. Said they want to delay a decision on potentially converting Farnam for a couple of months to find out more about the board of regents' plans for this property. Likely just another "6-8 weeks" type deal, but good to hear something.
Want to stop switching traffic on Farnam west of Saddle Creek to east of Happy Hollow to one way traffic for morning and afternoon rush hours. According to the article they may have to add turn lanes at 50th & 52nd. Maybe adding a parking lot, tour bus parking & grandstands by Warren’s house. Actually the last bit was my pathetic attempt at humor.
Louie
County Board

Post by Louie »

hatwate wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 1:35 pm
Louie wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 12:54 pm
Want to stop switching traffic on Farnam west of Saddle Creek to east of Happy Hollow to one way traffic for morning and afternoon rush hours. According to the article they may have to add turn lanes at 50th & 52nd. Maybe adding a parking lot, tour bus parking & grandstands by Warren’s house. Actually the last bit was my pathetic attempt at humor.
I appreciate the effort. Gonna squeeze a few yards on those intersections, though. Gosh they might have to tear down a house or two.
PWL73316
Library Board

Post by PWL73316 »

The next street over, Dodge, doesn't have turn lanes and it is illegal to turn. But Farnam has to have specific turn lanes? Give me a break. Folks can do 3 rights.
Dundeemaha
Human Relations

Post by Dundeemaha »

If they're going to put in center turn lanes they could just get rid of the right turn lanes at those intersections. No reason to have those.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Anyone watching KETV right now???