Oak View Mall (144 & West Center Rd)

West Omaha, Sarpy and Nebraska metro counties.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

riceweb
Library Board

Re: Oak View Mall - Redevelopment Plan

Post by riceweb »

I think radical alternative uses for the space need to be considered. It may not even be best suited as a retail space.

What does a rotting mall do to the city's commercial real estate metrics? I have to imagine investors think the Omaha market is oversaturated, but that # is probably inflated by an Oak View with a terrible location and lack of a recent, significant renovation. Though it's a bit of a stretch, completely leveling the place and replacing it with an office park might make financing the construction at Crossroads an easier sell and thus reduce the city's obligations to that project.
GRANDPASMUCKER
Human Relations

Post by GRANDPASMUCKER »

riceweb wrote:I think radical alternative uses for the space need to be considered. It may not even be best suited as a retail space.

What does a rotting mall do to the city's commercial real estate metrics? I have to imagine investors think the Omaha market is oversaturated, but that # is probably inflated by an Oak View with a terrible location and lack of a recent, significant renovation. Though it's a bit of a stretch, completely leveling the place and replacing it with an office park might make financing the construction at Crossroads an easier sell and thus reduce the city's obligations to that project.

Its alot more then a "bit of a stretch" to say Crossroads is a better location then the Oakview Mall. It was stupid to throw money into the CrossRoads in the late 80s and its even more stupid to do it now. How dare people come up with such a crazy idea and then have the nerve to want the city to help finance it. No way thankyou very much Mayor Jean for shutting that fools notion down. Dont get the Mayor and myself wrong we have no problem with you and anyone else throwing as much money as you want into the Crossroads as long as its not ours.
Erik
Parks & Recreation

Post by Erik »

Crossroads is a better location for a redeveloped mall for many reasons. For one, Village point is just a few miles from Oak View. Also 72nd and Dodge is the hottest intersection in the city. Also factor in the nearby UNMC and UNO, both of which have grown by many leaps and bounds. Then consider the high density living that is popping up in that area, the upcoming rapid busing and the future streetcar line.

Oakview is a victim of the times. Crossroads future cannot possibly be any brighter.
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

We need to go with Street's original concept of moating Oakview, it's the only possible proposal that guarantees success.
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

A Lormong Lo canal
Shoot for the Moon... if you miss, you'll land among the stars.
GetUrban
Planning Board

Post by GetUrban »

It would make a good dog run, that's about it. Too hard to get there from anywhere but Millard.
He said "They are some big, ugly red brick buildings"
...and then they were gone.
Omaha_corn_burner
Human Relations

Post by Omaha_corn_burner »

NovakOmaha wrote:AMC 24 has been allowed to sit and rot away tucked back behind a dying mall where most people now forget about it in the face of so many better movie going options. The insides feel like a time warp to the mid 90's. They have the same cheesy spaceship design that looks like it was lifted from one of the bad Star Trek The Next Generation sequels. The auditoriums were dirty, the floors sticky, and they haven't upgraded the chairs since it opened.

Even the exterior and parking lot seemed to be in bad shape the last time I was there. Unless they've done something about it, the parking lot was rutted up. The grand entrance area was full of cracked pavement.

You can tell that business is down there too. The secondary concession stands were pretty much out of business when I was there. One was mostly curtained off with a couple of video games in front of them to occupy the space.

As of now, it just feels like a sad end for a once proud theater. I give it 5 years or less unless they spend the money to renovate....but, with Village Point and Alamo both within 10 minutes of Oak View along with the general state of the mall and the general decline of theater going making huge multi plexes of 20+ screens less necessary, what's the point?
$6 movies! They don't even want to compete. They lowered their prices to try and capture some revenue, but looks like it doesn't matter.

I guess they can drag it out a couple more years, then they will need to do a total renovation.
omaha79
Parks & Recreation

Post by omaha79 »

How can they even lower their prices to $6?

I thought the studios had some control over pricing but allowed the matinee and Tuesday pricing to occur. I don't know all the specifics, but I know it's like a 90%/10% split for the studio/theater in the first few weeks.

So, is AMC essentially showing movies for free and hoping to make up the loss of revenue with concessions?

That can't last. If this isn't a misprint or something they are doing for a couple of weeks only, I could see them out of business soon.
omaha79
Parks & Recreation

Post by omaha79 »

according to this, AMC is likely keeping anywhere from 0% to 25% of The Force Awakens in the first few weeks assuming this is still how the system works. This is from 2007, but it said in 2002 theaters got 0% of the cut on Attack of the Clones for the first few weeks.

http://themovieblog.com/2007/economics- ... s-so-much/

So, if they are charging $6.41 for a ticket, one could assume they are keeping 25% of the profit and the actual price is something like $8.75. That still seems low.

I looked and it doesn't appear to be just certain times. The Force Awakens for a Friday at 7PM showing is the same rate.

The only other thing I can think of is they are undercharging and paying any shortfalls out of general money from the theater, but one would think that's probably violating terms of a contract somewhere.

I confirmed that Council Bluffs isn't discounting like this. Their rate for the same show/same day/same time is $9.94.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Yes, if you look on the their website, the fine print says that the $5.99 is only valid at the Oakview location. Before 4 pm it is only $3.99.
omaha79
Parks & Recreation

Post by omaha79 »

How long until this is a dollar theater?
omaha79
Parks & Recreation

Post by omaha79 »

I don't know if this is a new thing or not, but I noticed in addition to having all shows priced at $6, Oak View seems to be branching out and showing multiple subtitled Hindi movies. Seems they are trying to find a niche that other theaters aren't capitalizing on. Not sure it'll be enough to keep them afloat, but it's something.
bigredmed
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed »

omaha79 wrote:I don't know if this is a new thing or not, but I noticed in addition to having all shows priced at $6, Oak View seems to be branching out and showing multiple subtitled Hindi movies. Seems they are trying to find a niche that other theaters aren't capitalizing on. Not sure it'll be enough to keep them afloat, but it's something.

Another example of the curse of Millard. There was no other theater in the Millard area after the Q street place closed. AMC could pretty much do what ever it wanted and get away with it (listening Big Fred's?). Now they are outstripped in coolness by the Marcus theaters and totally outclassed by the Alamo Drafthouse. They could still beat the Westroads given that those theaters are getting gang action going on there. Minutes till the Jr High moms lock that place down as "too dangerous" for their kids, and hours before the west O kids quit trying to go there. That could be their market.
daveoma
Parks & Recreation

Post by daveoma »

omaha79 wrote:I don't know if this is a new thing or not, but I noticed in addition to having all shows priced at $6, Oak View seems to be branching out and showing multiple subtitled Hindi movies. Seems they are trying to find a niche that other theaters aren't capitalizing on. Not sure it'll be enough to keep them afloat, but it's something.
I think this is a great idea. Omaha does not have a huge south Asian community but it's mostly affluent and growing. Plus watching Bollywood is a good cultural experience and worth the money. Many of them are 2 1/2 hours long.
TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board

Post by TitosBuritoBarn »

Bollywood is hardcore

[youtube][/youtube]
"Video game violence is not a new problem. Who could forget in the wake of SimCity how children everywhere took up urban planning." - Stephen Colbert
Omaha_corn_burner
Human Relations

No, it's not new. They have been showing Bollywood flicks for at least 10 years. They usually don't play on the weekends.
omaha79
Parks & Recreation

Post by omaha79 »

I was at Oak View today to see The Force Awakens in IMAX 3D. The movie started 25 minutes late and they couldn't seem to get the projector going. 2 of the last 4 times I've been at an AMC theater, either the movie was late or didn't play at all.

What a mess.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

omaha79 wrote:I was at Oak View today to see The Force Awakens in IMAX 3D. The movie started 25 minutes late and they couldn't seem to get the projector going. 2 of the last 4 times I've been at an AMC theater, either the movie was late or didn't play at all.

What a mess.
I saw The Force Awakens in IMAX 3D at Oakview AMC 24 this past Friday night and all was good..

Never had a bad movie experience there (that I can recall at least). Now the prices for concessions are another story..

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

omaha79 wrote:I was at Oak View today to see The Force Awakens in IMAX 3D. The movie started 25 minutes late and they couldn't seem to get the projector going. 2 of the last 4 times I've been at an AMC theater, either the movie was late or didn't play at all.

What a mess.

EVERY movie at all theaters start late by at least 15 Min.
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

nebugeater wrote:

What a mess.

For previews yes, not for technical difficulties.

Greg
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

Greg S wrote:
nebugeater wrote:

What a mess.

Greg
Ghetto fabulous.
15-17, 26, 32
Joe_Sovereign
Library Board

Post by Joe_Sovereign »

I don't believe I have ever seen a movie start late there.

Everyone I know right now goes to Majestic because of the reclining seats and more importantly you can book your assigned seats in advance on line. I drive directly past Village Point to get there. All AMC 24 needs is to put these kind of seats and reserve seating system in all their theaters and they would be competitive tomorrow. Some new carpeting a fresh coat of paint wouldn't hurt anything either.

Becoming a discount theater is a death spiral. If they aren't going to remodel they should sell the place.
Omaha_corn_burner
Human Relations

Was there again Friday to see Creed. It was quite busy. Word must be out about the $6 movies.

It started on time, and I have never seen a movie start late at any movie theatre.
omaha79
Parks & Recreation

Post by omaha79 »

We were there yesterday for the 11:30 AM IMAX 3D showing of The Force Awakens.

The movie started late, but it certainly wasn't because of previews. The person I was with and I thought it odd that there was no music or commercials going on in the theater prior to the 11:30 start time. But, I was wondering if that was because of issues with the projector they use for the pre-show ads and commercials. I was in that same theater a couple of weeks ago and there was an extremely loud feedback buzz coming from the speakers that day during the pre-show. It was so loud that a couple of people in the theater clapped when they started the actual previews and it went away.

So, I didn't think much of it. However, when it was 11:35 and the screen was black, I started to question if I had the start time wrong, but the ticket stub confirmed 11:30. By 11:40, people were looking uncomfortable in their seats and looking up towards the projector booth. A couple of people angrily left the auditorium, probably to talk to management. Still, nothing.

Around 11:45, you could tell there were issues. They made several attempts to start the previews, but all they could get going was the audio. You could see light coming out of the projector, but nothing was on the screen. I could also see someone up there on a telephone walking around.

The previews finally started at 11:55. Probably because it was so late, they only played the Deadpool and Star Trek Beyond trailers followed by an IMAX bumper for the theater. Then, it went straight to the Lucasfilm logo. I was relieved that we didn't have to sit through 20 minutes of trailers AFTER having the movie already delayed by 25 minutes.

Probably an isolated incident, but still doesn't reflect well on the theater or AMC.
omaha79
Parks & Recreation

Post by omaha79 »

Joe_Sovereign wrote:I don't believe I have ever seen a movie start late there.

Everyone I know right now goes to Majestic because of the reclining seats and more importantly you can book your assigned seats in advance on line. I drive directly past Village Point to get there. All AMC 24 needs is to put these kind of seats and reserve seating system in all their theaters and they would be competitive tomorrow. Some new carpeting a fresh coat of paint wouldn't hurt anything either.

Becoming a discount theater is a death spiral. If they aren't going to remodel they should sell the place.
Agree that they'd have to add recliners to all of the auditoriums to have a chance. That makes sense also because the seating seems to be the same as the day the place opened. Also, at 24 screens, the total capacity of the theater is far too high. There is a reason that new theaters are being built at roughly 8-12 auditoriums. People aren't going in as large of numbers, and there typically aren't enough worthwhile movies out to support 24 screens. So, if you can reduce the capacity per auditorium and maximize the non-admission revenue by offering better food and drink options, that's the key industry wide.

But, I don't know that going to recliners makes them instantly competitive. They just don't draw enough of the city the way they used to and certainly not enough to justify 24 screens. 10 years ago, Oak View 24 was the main theater option for all of Southwest Omaha. They arguably had everything from Dodge St. to the Southern reaches of the metro from at least 108th St. to the Western reaches of the metro. Their only competition back then was Q Cinema 9 and 20 Grand. Beyond that, you had to go to Cinema Center. Q Cinema 9 was never a well liked theater. So, they had a corner on Southwest Omaha. Now, they are in direct competition with 20 Grand/Majestic, Village Point, Alamo Drafthouse, and arguably even Westroads (their own theater company). The 24 screen concept worked when that was the only theater and was in a popular area of town. Neither of those are true today.

I also disagree that beyond upgrades to the seating, all it would take is a few coats of paint. The place needs a total overhaul. The parking lot is rutted and cracked. The outside entry area is cracked and uninviting. In the Imax theater there was wallpaper peeling off. Consumers want a pleasant environment for movie going. AMC Oak View no longer offers this. And, while some changes are mainly cosmetic, it's x24 screens, in a marketplace where it may not be viable. And, I have no idea what the state of the building is in terms of electrical, sound systems, plumbing, etc. Those could be other costs as well.
GRANDPASMUCKER
Human Relations

Post by GRANDPASMUCKER »

MTO wrote:
Greg S wrote:
nebugeater wrote:

What a mess.

Greg
Ghetto fabulous.
Ghetto fabulous is like when me and a friend went to a movie at the $1 theater on 24th & L and we were the only ones at the movie. About 15 minutes after the movie starts 3 big black guys come into the theater and 1 sits on each side of us and 1 sits right behind me. I looked at my friend and we both knew we were about to get robbed and we both jumped up and ran for the door. We moved so quick I think it surprised them and they let us go without putting a gun or a shiv to our bellies. Now thats Ghetto fabulous baby!
GRANDPASMUCKER
Human Relations

Post by GRANDPASMUCKER »

omaha79 wrote:

Agree that they'd have to add recliners to all of the auditoriums to have a chance. That makes sense also because the seating seems to be the same as the day the place opened. Also, at 24 screens, the total capacity of the theater is far too high. There is a reason that new theaters are being built at roughly 8-12 auditoriums. People aren't going in as large of numbers, and there typically aren't enough worthwhile movies out to support 24 screens. So, if you can reduce the capacity per auditorium and maximize the non-admission revenue by offering better food and drink options, that's the key industry wide.

But, I don't know that going to recliners makes them instantly competitive. They just don't draw enough of the city the way they used to and certainly not enough to justify 24 screens. 10 years ago, Oak View 24 was the main theater option for all of Southwest Omaha. They arguably had everything from Dodge St. to the Southern reaches of the metro from at least 108th St. to the Western reaches of the metro. Their only competition back then was Q Cinema 9 and 20 Grand. Beyond that, you had to go to Cinema Center. Q Cinema 9 was never a well liked theater. So, they had a corner on Southwest Omaha. Now, they are in direct competition with 20 Grand/Majestic, Village Point, Alamo Drafthouse, and arguably even Westroads (their own theater company). The 24 screen concept worked when that was the only theater and was in a popular area of town. Neither of those are true today.

I also disagree that beyond upgrades to the seating, all it would take is a few coats of paint. The place needs a total overhaul. The parking lot is rutted and cracked. The outside entry area is cracked and uninviting. In the Imax theater there was wallpaper peeling off. Consumers want a pleasant environment for movie going. AMC Oak View no longer offers this. And, while some changes are mainly cosmetic, it's x24 screens, in a marketplace where it may not be viable. And, I have no idea what the state of the building is in terms of electrical, sound systems, plumbing, etc. Those could be other costs as well.

This guy has a pretty good grip on the situation folks. I agree with it all for the most part. This facility is nothing but a concrete bomb shelter anyway so it could be fixed up easily. Right now it looks like the place is suffering from some hard core tight assedry by the ownership. A little investment in some employees who know what they are doing and some remodeling and this place is set. Do I see that happening. Nope. This building will house a church or something someday!
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

Yeah they need to go with the recliners and reserved seating to complete. I imagine it's pretty costly to do because you have to completely redo the base of the seating to accommodate the wider aisles. The brutal part of that is with the recliners your available seats to be sold drops in half.

I don't see happening either.

Last Tuesday tried to see Daddy's Home at Majestic with my kids. By noon they only had single seats for all showings until after 9 that night. We decided to go to Village Pointe. Will never do that again. Had to get there early to make sure we had a decent seat, plus after having gone only to Majestic and Twin Creek for the last year, it's really hard to go back to the old type seats. I won't do it again.

Greg
Joe_Sovereign
Library Board

Post by Joe_Sovereign »

omaha79 wrote:

I don't totally disagree with you but the AMC parking lot is a dream compared to the 20 Grand/Majestic parking lot and that places is always full. The bars and the bistro food that the Marcus theaters put in are nice but I don't think most people are coming for that. I said carpet and paint as a least expensive renovation.

I don't think the location is bad populationwise and it is a familiar place for people to go. I think a figurative fresh coat of paint and the reserved seating/reclining seats is the quickest way to get back in the game. They have a ton of extra space so a bar/restaurant or other more innovative ideas could follow if they got the crowds back.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

I've never had a problem with Majestic's parking lot. We always park on the part closest to Maple.

Greg
omaha79
Parks & Recreation

Post by omaha79 »

Joe_Sovereign wrote:
omaha79 wrote:

I don't totally disagree with you but the AMC parking lot is a dream compared to the 20 Grand/Majestic parking lot and that places is always full. The bars and the bistro food that the Marcus theaters put in are nice but I don't think most people are coming for that. I said carpet and paint as a least expensive renovation.

I don't think the location is bad populationwise and it is a familiar place for people to go. I think a figurative fresh coat of paint and the reserved seating/reclining seats is the quickest way to get back in the game. They have a ton of extra space so a bar/restaurant or other more innovative ideas could follow if they got the crowds back.
I did notice that AMC Oak View now has a bar area, but it's kind of an afterthought compared to what the Marcus theaters have. It's never been open the last couple of times I've gone there, but those were matinee shows.
badger_989
New to the Neighborhood

Post by badger_989 »

omaha79 wrote:
Joe_Sovereign wrote:And, I have no idea what the state of the building is in terms of electrical, sound systems, plumbing, etc. Those could be other costs as well.
As of recently, it appears they've been having serious plumbing issues. Just this year, one of the bathrooms' 15-foot sinks was not draining and there was no gap between the faucets and the rising pool of tobacco/spit water. Next time I was there, I entered the bathroom to witness water blasting clear across the room from one of the urinals, did a 360 and walked away. After that, they've just been taping that bathroom off. While on the subject, I'd also like to note that these bathrooms are practically designed for hidden cameras.
badger_989
New to the Neighborhood

Post by badger_989 »

GRANDPASMUCKER wrote:This guy has a pretty good grip on the situation folks. I agree with it all for the most part. This facility is nothing but a concrete bomb shelter anyway so it could be fixed up easily. Right now it looks like the place is suffering from some hard core tight assedry by the ownership. A little investment in some employees who know what they are doing and some remodeling and this place is set. Do I see that happening. Nope. This building will house a church or something someday!
I think the church that was using that AMC has since moved to Millard North for a less sticky experience.
Seth
Parks & Recreation

Post by Seth »

badger_989 wrote:
omaha79 wrote:
Joe_Sovereign wrote:And, I have no idea what the state of the building is in terms of electrical, sound systems, plumbing, etc. Those could be other costs as well.
As of recently, it appears they've been having serious plumbing issues. Just this year, one of the bathrooms' 15-foot sinks was not draining and there was no gap between the faucets and the rising pool of tobacco/spit water. Next time I was there, I entered the bathroom to witness water blasting clear across the room from one of the urinals, did a 360 and walked away. After that, they've just been taping that bathroom off. While on the subject, I'd also like to note that these bathrooms are practically designed for hidden cameras.
Wow, that's pretty epic. I thought the one clogged sink I typically find at Westwood8 was a mess, but I guess it can get a lot worse!
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

Interesting tenant for Oak View:

https://omaha.craigslist.org/thp/5523467426.html
RockHarbor
Planning Board

Post by RockHarbor »

I've wondered about Oak View for awhile. There's nothing really wrong with it, IMO. It just comes down to what the article pointed out: Many more new places to shop in Omaha since it opened, and changing shopping habits. It seems like every 10 years or so, they are building a big, grand new place to shop -- because I think that's what we all want. We get bored, I think. To have a 100% healthy Crossroads and OakView and Westroads by erasing Village Point, Shadow Lake, NE Crossing, and the new shops at Southport, would I take it? NO. I'm part of this cycle, too.

I've always thought OakView was the prettiest mall, aesthetically. I love all the peaks & skylights jutting up from it (although I never understood the cement at the Dillard entrances, where I feel mirrored-glass should be.) I feel the mall is a little small and feels squeezed-in. I also feel architectural elements are way too dramatic for a smaller mall (the food court's enormous skylight seems to take up 75% of the mall, and the big, grand entrance to Younkers seem almost a stone's throw away from the center.) Still, it is pretty, elegant, and bright in there.

I'm glad they've turned off the pastel pink and aqua blue neon, as that is out of style now, and it looked too "Florida" in there for awhile, IMO. What should they do? I'm not sure. There has to be some answer, and I don't think a major remodel is necessarily it. I need to think about this more.
Last edited by RockHarbor on Thu Apr 07, 2016 11:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I can get pushed out because I'm "too much" for some. Then, an observer of me comes suddenly swooping in to "fill my shoes." People are always more accepting of the new one, because their feathers aren't truly ruffled by them. (Yawn) I can count on it every time.
RockHarbor
Planning Board

Post by RockHarbor »

Also: I have to say, I LOVE Jordan Creek Mall in West Des Moines. And, Oak Park Mall (mentioned already) in KC is nice, too. Both are thriving malls still. Minneapolis has some really nice indoor suburban malls, too (yet, it is colder up there).

Jordan Creek has a warm & hearthy crackling fireplace in their food court section, and when I first saw it, I loved it, and I could not think of anywhere in Omaha the public was offered that. But now, Westroads has one! Maybe Oak View needs one, too?

The thing with Oak View is this: The elegant colors (white & grey & rust marble) still hold up, and I feel it is elegant in there, but you still see the aqua blue at the Younkers entrance and stuff. It just feels like a "time warp" back to the 1990's in there, to me. Maybe it is really time for a revamping, a remodel, or a new game plan.
Last edited by RockHarbor on Thu Apr 07, 2016 11:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I can get pushed out because I'm "too much" for some. Then, an observer of me comes suddenly swooping in to "fill my shoes." People are always more accepting of the new one, because their feathers aren't truly ruffled by them. (Yawn) I can count on it every time.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

I think they finally took down the neon Food Court sign inside last year.
RockHarbor
Planning Board

Post by RockHarbor »

Yeah, I think they did, too. That neon needed to go. The aqua blue up in the skylight needs to go, too, IMO (and I shiver thinking about somebody repainting it).

Again, I think the marble theme can stay, it has a classy & timeless elegance (like Cherry Creek Mall has in Denver). I would replace the palms w/ ficus or birch trees, and some potted Norfolk Island Pines. I would put in brown leather furniture (or something similar). I'm not sure if these types of changes would help the mall, ultimately, though.

Note: Malls also have to be careful of a whole new remodel, IMO, as it can look bad. For example, when West Ridge Mall in Topeka opened in the late 80's, I thought it was such a cool mall. But, now they have pushed & forced that retro ( or maybe lodge) theme now in there, and it doesn't match the architecture of the original mall well (IMO).
RockHarbor
Planning Board

Post by RockHarbor »

OK, I went to Oak View today, it has been awhile, and I've thought more about this mall.

First of all, I don't feel it has reached a "point of no return", like most of us feel about Crossroads Mall. It is still a nice-looking suburban mall, and fairly vibrant. The impression to me is: The owners do not care ENOUGH about it, nor are they aggressive enough, nor "fighters", like Westroads owners appear to me are. To flick-off the neon strips & neon signage is one thing, to leave it that way for weeks/months/years is another. That doesn't create an "uplifting feeling" in shoppers. Some potted plants & palms in there look just awful & unhealthy -- bad enough to be tossed out of a private residence, much less a public mall, imo. The new rugs & furniture: The furniture is nice, but those rugs look really thin & cheapy, like the owners didn't want to hardly spend any money. People notice those things.

I noticed there is a vibrant mix of different people shopping in there (as their should be). The dated aqua blue circle glowing at the Younkers entrance is now turned-off. Good move, imo.

As far as a remodel, just a few different minor touches (mentioned in my post above) would help bring the mall up-to-date, imo. I don't know if expanding the mall would really help, but I would love if Sears were "pushed" down to sit near Oak View Mall Drive, and they added a long wing there, giving the mall a T-shape formation of hallways, instead of an L-shape.

If people even start to think "That place is going downhill" or "That place is getting kinda junky" or "That place isn't being kept up that well", they can stop shopping there -- for that reason alone. Sure, new shopping centers being built and economics have something to do with a mall's demise too, but that should give mall owners all the more reason to care and be aggressive with their properties, imo.
Last edited by RockHarbor on Sat Apr 09, 2016 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.