» Roads funding
» Driving safety
» Convention of states
Coyote
City Council

Re: 2016 Legislature

Post by Coyote »

World-Herald editorial: Nuts-and-bolts mission for the Legislature in 2016
The central focus will be on balancing the state budget.

Tax revenues have fallen $110 million short of the state forecasting board’s projections for the two-year, $8.7 billion budget that ends in mid-2017.
Gov. Pete Ricketts has made property tax relief his top priority.

As for other top-tier issues, here are several that certainly warrant action this session:
» Prison needs.
» Niobrara River settlement.
» University of Nebraska capital needs.
» Juvenile justice.
» Independent redistricting commission.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Nuts and bolts issues and....ballot selfies. A bill has been introduced to allow ballot selfies.
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

iamjacobm wrote:Nuts and bolts issues and....ballot selfies. A bill has been introduced to allow ballot selfies.
Good to see they are focusing on the important issues.
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

Linkin5 wrote:
iamjacobm wrote:Nuts and bolts issues and....ballot selfies. A bill has been introduced to allow ballot selfies.
Good to see they are focusing on the important issues.
The bill is completely benign. All it's doing is permitting people to take photos of a ballot after it's been filled out. Right now, such behavior could potentially lead to a $100 fine under current voting laws. I have no clue how someone came up with the term ballot selfie.

http://nebraskalegislature.gov/bills/vi ... ntID=28475
Verbum Domini Manet in Aeternum
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Becoming a Nebraska tradition.
BRoss
IT Director

Post by BRoss »

Sounds like the Nebraska GOP wants to take up a transgender bathroom bill. This could have huge ramifications for Omaha like potentially losing the CWS and hosting other championship events. And they are starting to call people who threaten to take events elsewhere "economic terrorists." The only terrorists are these regressives who are destroying the country over stupid non-issues.

If transgender bathroom law like one proposed by Nebraska GOP were passed, it could affect ties to CWS, ability to host championships
Martha Stoddard / World-Herald Bureau wrote:Passing a transgender bathroom law could jeopardize Nebraska’s long history with the College World Series and its hopes of hosting future volleyball championships and basketball regionals.

The Nebraska Republican Party called for such a law at its state convention last weekend.

But the proposal could collide with a new NCAA policy opposing discrimination based on sexual orientation and gender identity.
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

|expletive| why.

So basically one of North Downtown's greatest sources of income, not to mention a baseball stadium purpose built for the CWS would be rendered useless. Not only that, but our reputation as a conservative dystopia would be given more legitimacy, but most importantly, we would further marginalize an extremely marginalized population. Nice, Nebraska.
Last edited by RNcyanide on Sun May 22, 2016 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
When fortune smiles on something as violent and ugly as revenge, it seems proof like no other that not only does God exist, you're doing his will.

The Bride
daveoma
Parks & Recreation

Post by daveoma »

HR Paperstacks wrote:Sounds like the Nebraska GOP wants to take up a transgender bathroom bill. This could have huge ramifications for Omaha like potentially losing the CWS and hosting other championship events. And they are starting to call people who threaten to take events elsewhere "economic terrorists." The only terrorists are these regressives who are destroying the country over stupid non-issues.

If transgender bathroom law like one proposed by Nebraska GOP were passed, it could affect ties to CWS, ability to host championships
Martha Stoddard / World-Herald Bureau wrote:Passing a transgender bathroom law could jeopardize Nebraska’s long history with the College World Series and its hopes of hosting future volleyball championships and basketball regionals.

The Nebraska Republican Party called for such a law at its state convention last weekend.

But the proposal could collide with a new NCAA policy opposing discrimination based on sexual orientation and gender identity.
Totally agree paperstacks! This is a non-issue to try to scare the ignorant and uninformed into voting. In light of all of the real problems we have like climate change, corruption in politics, income inequality, and religious extremism this is absolutely a waste of time and taxpayer money.
lmdramos
Library Board

Post by lmdramos »

No No No. These laws are sooo stupid. There's no place for this in Nebraska or the world. I'm sick and tired of all these hellish uber-conservatives Ricketts?) destroy the progress that has been made.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

We will see how far right the Unicam goes in November, but I still think there will be enough moderate push back to stop something like this. Young guys like Morfeld and Vargas will surely put up a big fight. The thing is this is really trying to legislate a non issue, a good way to stir people up and not have to talk about the property tax relief that they keep failing to get done.

Why any state would want to touch this kind of law after what NC has had happen is beyond me.

Also Kintner is just the worst.
GRANDPASMUCKER
Human Relations

Post by GRANDPASMUCKER »

Let me get this straight.........We are going to prosecute men and send them to prison by the dozens just for even looking at bad pics on the internet but we are going to make it legal for men to go in bathrooms with young underage women. Yeah even a clock is right once a day and Ricketts is right this time for a change! Donald Trump is going to be the next president and we are going to get some supreme court judges in there who are going to shut this concerted attempt to gay-i-fy America down. And we are going to hear how bad the Trump people and the Republicans are and how they are the scum of the earth. But who are you going to see burning cars, destroying property, rioting and turning over cop cars and fighting the police. Who you going to see doing all these unlawful things? Why its the Trumpsters right? Guess again. The law breakers and the thugs are going to be the liberals. :yes:
Erik
Parks & Recreation

Post by Erik »

Is GRANDPASMUCKER actually Chris Baker? Very similar communication style and talking points. Hmmmmmm....
GRANDPASMUCKER
Human Relations

Post by GRANDPASMUCKER »

Erik wrote:Is GRANDPASMUCKER actually Chris Baker? Very similar communication style and talking points. Hmmmmmm....

Nah! That guys kinda an egg head. Chris is OK but hes way to enamored with himself! I can assure Chris hes not all that. Hes the guy they gave Tom Beckas gig too. And whatever Becka had with KFAB it dont sound like it was much of a gig. So good luck with that Chris! I listen to him maybe an hour or two a week total while driving. Would I rather listen to Becka? Yes I think I would. I think we could do better then both of them but then again we could get worse.
Uffda
County Board

Post by Uffda »

GRANDPASMUCKER wrote:Let me get this straight.........We are going to prosecute men and send them to prison by the dozens just for even looking at bad pics on the internet but we are going to make it legal for men to go in bathrooms with young underage women. Yeah even a clock is right once a day and Ricketts is right this time for a change! Donald Trump is going to be the next president and we are going to get some supreme court judges in there who are going to shut this concerted attempt to gay-i-fy America down.
I am glad some of us more "mature" posters are a little more open minded. :shock:
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

iamjacobm wrote:Also Kintner is just the worst.
In light of the news today...
BRoss
IT Director

Post by BRoss »

iamjacobm wrote:
iamjacobm wrote:Also Kintner is just the worst.
In light of the news today...
What a POS. Cheating on his sick wife.
PotatoeEatsFish
Human Relations

Post by PotatoeEatsFish »

GRANDPASMUCKER wrote:Let me get this straight.........We are going to prosecute men and send them to prison by the dozens just for even looking at bad pics on the internet but we are going to make it legal for men to go in bathrooms with young underage women. Yeah even a clock is right once a day and Ricketts is right this time for a change! Donald Trump is going to be the next president and we are going to get some supreme court judges in there who are going to shut this concerted attempt to gay-i-fy America down. And we are going to hear how bad the Trump people and the Republicans are and how they are the scum of the earth. But who are you going to see burning cars, destroying property, rioting and turning over cop cars and fighting the police. Who you going to see doing all these unlawful things? Why its the Trumpsters right? Guess again. The law breakers and the thugs are going to be the liberals. :yes:
I'm hoping you're being a troll again but if you're not... good god.
#SaveTheUglyGrainSilos2024
Phillip
New to the Neighborhood

Post by Phillip »

GRANDPASMUCKER wrote:Let me get this straight.........We are going to prosecute men and send them to prison by the dozens just for even looking at bad pics on the internet but we are going to make it legal for men to go in bathrooms with young underage women. Yeah even a clock is right once a day and Ricketts is right this time for a change! Donald Trump is going to be the next president and we are going to get some supreme court judges in there who are going to shut this concerted attempt to gay-i-fy America down. And we are going to hear how bad the Trump people and the Republicans are and how they are the scum of the earth. But who are you going to see burning cars, destroying property, rioting and turning over cop cars and fighting the police. Who you going to see doing all these unlawful things? Why its the Trumpsters right? Guess again. The law breakers and the thugs are going to be the liberals. :yes:
This is why we can't have nice things...
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

Well this thread has seriously derailed.

As to Kintner, or Kinkier or whatever his name is, he probably broke no law, which is why he hasn't been arrested. Now, what he did do is (1) violate the state's computer usage policy, and (2) show incredibly poor judgment, unbecoming of an elected official. He needs to go. Obviously he doesn't understand the meaning of "hypocrisy" or of being a mature adult.
Athomsfere
Planning Board

Post by Athomsfere »

PotatoeEatsFish wrote:
I'm hoping you're being a troll again but if you're not... good god.
Sort of my thoughts as well. Most of it is so erroneous / baiting, baseless , rambling nonsense... It almost has to be trolling.

I say almost though, because a year ago I would have said the same thing about Trump making it this far. Not funny anymore.
ricko
Parks & Recreation

Post by ricko »

nativeomahan wrote:Well this thread has seriously derailed.

As to Kintner, or Kinkier or whatever his name is, he probably broke no law, which is why he hasn't been arrested. Now, what he did do is (1) violate the state's computer usage policy, and (2) show incredibly poor judgment, unbecoming of an elected official. He needs to go. Obviously he doesn't understand the meaning of "hypocrisy" or of being a mature adult.
But, but-----they were Christian sex tapes.
daveoma
Parks & Recreation

Post by daveoma »

After I read this I made love to my boyfriend. I wanted you know grandpa. Love conquers all! :cheers:
Garrett
Planning Board

Post by Garrett »

daveoma wrote:
After I read this I made love to my boyfriend. I wanted you know grandpa. Love conquers all! :cheers:
You know, I'm feeling inspired to do the same.
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

daveoma wrote:
Oh my God this. Just, just this. :clap:
When fortune smiles on something as violent and ugly as revenge, it seems proof like no other that not only does God exist, you're doing his will.

The Bride
GRANDPASMUCKER
Human Relations

Post by GRANDPASMUCKER »

daveoma wrote:
TMI baby! Way too much TMI. :lol:
daveoma
Parks & Recreation

Post by daveoma »

GRANDPASMUCKER wrote:
daveoma wrote:
TMI baby! Way too much TMI. :lol:
I'm glad you have a sense of humor grandpa. :D hugs
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

HR Paperstacks wrote:Sounds like the Nebraska GOP wants to take up a transgender bathroom bill. This could have huge ramifications for Omaha like potentially losing the CWS and hosting other championship events. And they are starting to call people who threaten to take events elsewhere "economic terrorists." The only terrorists are these regressives who are destroying the country over stupid non-issues.

NCAA just showed that it isn't an empty threat. Just pulled every NCAA championship event from NC in 2017.