The Omaha World Herald

Discussion of current events, news, the latest happenings in Omaha

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

skinzfan23
City Council

Re: The Omaha World Herald

Post by skinzfan23 »

nebugeater wrote:
The perfect subscription model for me would be a 7 day subscription where I got an actual paper delivered on Sat and Sun and the e Addition access for 7 days a week.
That would be awesome....that would work really well for me too. I have much more time on the weekend to read the paper, but many times during the week I find myself quickly skimming through it and then throwing it in recycling.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

skinzfan23 wrote:
nebugeater wrote:
The perfect subscription model for me would be a 7 day subscription where I got an actual paper delivered on Sat and Sun and the e Addition access for 7 days a week.
That would be awesome....that would work really well for me too. I have much more time on the weekend to read the paper, but many times during the week I find myself quickly skimming through it and then throwing it in recycling.
Maybe someone from the OWH will read this and think about it. I cannot see how it wouldn't be a WIN WIN for many customers and for the OWH. Isn't part of being in business giving the customers what they want / need? ...... at a fair price.....
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

Even if the news content is 12-16 hours old, it's still nice to get some news without the glow of a screen, pop-up/pop over ads, autostart videos, etc.
Verbum Domini Manet in Aeternum
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

jessep28 wrote:Even if the news content is 12-16 hours old, it's still nice to get some news without the glow of a screen, pop-up/pop over ads, autostart videos, etc.
Ugh the autostart videos and the audio ads are the worst.
When fortune smiles on something as violent and ugly as revenge, it seems proof like no other that not only does God exist, you're doing his will.

The Bride
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

RNcyanide wrote:
jessep28 wrote:Even if the news content is 12-16 hours old, it's still nice to get some news without the glow of a screen, pop-up/pop over ads, autostart videos, etc.
Ugh the autostart videos and the audio ads are the worst.
It was nice when everything was mostly Flash. I could enable click to play and that autostart stuff wouldn't load. Now media content is moving over to HTML 5 because of Flash's security problems. I can't block HTML5 video from loading.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

That is where the E Addition is nice, of course at a cost. There is NONE of that.
U R my Helix
Human Relations

Post by U R my Helix »

The OWH had a nice update on developments on 01/31/2016 the title is “A sampling of Developments that should be visible this year” http://www.omaha.com/special_sections/o ... 1c7b3.html

Thank you OWH for the updates. Some information is new and some does not match what eomaha posts report with regard to unit counts. It’s getting tough to keep track of all the small developments. For the Eomahaforums reader you already know about these but a roadmap might be needed to translate some of the sites without addresses or names.

“Blackstone 2.0” I do not recall seeing anything referenced with this name before. I believe the OWH is talking about the collection of rehabs centered around 3909 Farnam St. in the Blackstone Improvement District topic.

“New Apartments:” Also in the Blackstone district” …90 units. I believe this refers to Blackstone Station 38 at 3824 Farnam. I think it is 51 units. The other 39 units may be the Square Space building, but now I am confused again.

“Highline Apartments:” We have this as Highline 2.0, unit counts match.

“Aksarben area:” We have this in a thread as Aksarben by Broadmoor. The last posts indicated this project next to the Baxter may have been derailed. Is it out of the penalty box?

“Crossroads:” Crossroads Village. We have this in the Crossroads – Redevelopment Plan thread. Last word was this would be 400 Units the OWH now reports only 200 apartment units.

“Benson 60th Street and Northwest Radial:” see thread Benson Mixed-Use Project. This project started at 99 units but was up-sized to 141 by our forum members based on the tiff request last October. Tiff request is for two phases totaling 141 units. Phase 1 will be 99 units & phase II is 42.

“12th & Cass:” Lanoha ….. We have this as 13th and Cass (WST Showroom)
Seth
Parks & Recreation

Post by Seth »

Here's another article in the OWH about development in the city:

Omaha metro area’s 55 projects 
in 2015 earn national magazine's top ranking

http://www.omaha.com/money/omaha-metro- ... c81f7.html

One of the reasons I love Omaha and find it an exiting place to live.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Seth wrote:Here's another article in the OWH about development in the city:

Omaha metro area’s 55 projects 
in 2015 earn national magazine's top ranking

http://www.omaha.com/money/omaha-metro- ... c81f7.html

One of the reasons I love Omaha and find it an exiting place to live.
The Big O blowing up once again?.. What else is new..

:thumb: ...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Looks like www.omaha.com is all new today.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Brad wrote:Looks like http://www.omaha.com is all new today.
Yep.. And the W-H app on my iPad and iPhone got a complete makeover as well...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
lmdramos
Library Board

Post by lmdramos »

I think it looks much better.
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

At least they are still using cookies for the 10 article paywall limit.
BRoss
IT Director

Post by BRoss »

jessep28 wrote:At least they are still using cookies for the 10 article paywall limit.
I can't get it to work on my phone using incognito anymore. But I've been having problems for a little while now.
GRANDPASMUCKER
Human Relations

Post by GRANDPASMUCKER »

HR Paperstacks wrote:
jessep28 wrote:At least they are still using cookies for the 10 article paywall limit.
I can't get it to work on my phone using incognito anymore. But I've been having problems for a little while now.
I don't what you guys are doing here but if its stealing or pilfering information from the World Herald that is lame and makes you seem like you are either very poor or you don't need much of an reason to be dishonest. Whats going on here :no:
BRoss
IT Director

Post by BRoss »

GRANDPASMUCKER wrote:
HR Paperstacks wrote:
I don't what you guys are doing here but if its stealing or pilfering information from the World Herald that is lame and makes you seem like you are either very poor or you don't need much of an reason to be dishonest. Whats going on here :no:
I'm not paying for something with ads. It's the main reason I don't have cable as well.
Dundeemaha
Human Relations

Post by Dundeemaha »

If the OWH had a reasonable online subscription I would pay for it.
Easypay Subscription Monthly Rate
7 DAY (ALL ACCESS) PRINT + DIGITAL $24.70/month

Digital Only $25/month
The NY Times digital version costs less money than the OWH digital version.

As it is I will continue to read it until they implement blocking to prevent free access and then I will read my limited amount and that's it.
daveoma
Parks & Recreation

Post by daveoma »

GRANDPASMUCKER wrote:
HR Paperstacks wrote:
OWH has plenty of money, they're republicans after all. I feel no guilt.
bigredmed
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed »

daveoma wrote:
GRANDPASMUCKER wrote:
HR Paperstacks wrote:

Owned by Buffett. Most editorials are center or a bit left of center. Still, the issue of over charging for online only needs comment by their ombudsman. I would subscribe again at a reasonable price.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

They don't want online only subscribers. They want paper subscribers to say to potential advertisers "we have X amount of subscribers"
daveoma
Parks & Recreation

Post by daveoma »

bigredmed wrote:
daveoma wrote:
GRANDPASMUCKER wrote:
HR Paperstacks wrote:

Owned by Buffett. Most editorials are center or a bit left of center. Still, the issue of over charging for online only needs comment by their ombudsman. I would subscribe again at a reasonable price.
Uhh...their endorsements are NOT left of center. They were in love with Dave Heineman who was solidly right wing.
GRANDPASMUCKER
Human Relations

Post by GRANDPASMUCKER »

How twisted is it that we got a bunch of guys racing to be the first in here to post stories from the World Herald and yet they wont even support the paper. Some of these same guys who are seemingly experts on million dollar projects are the same guys who can't afford to buy the paper or are to cheap. Who would want to do business with or trust these kinds of people. I'm not rich by any means but in my world it would be humiliating and disgraceful to be found stealing the paper off the net. Heres a hint boys, it aint worth the humiliation you do to your self esteem doing it to save a couple of bucks.
Uffda
County Board

Post by Uffda »

The only OWH paper I subscribe to is the Sunday edition. I think I just got 26 for $29. I usually take it a panera have some breakfast and read the paper. I then leave for someone else to read. Subscribing to anything more would be a waste of paper as I wouldn't get around to reading it.
daveoma
Parks & Recreation

Post by daveoma »

GRANDPASMUCKER wrote:How twisted is it that we got a bunch of guys racing to be the first in here to post stories from the World Herald and yet they wont even support the paper. Some of these same guys who are seemingly experts on million dollar projects are the same guys who can't afford to buy the paper or are to cheap. Who would want to do business with or trust these kinds of people. I'm not rich by any means but in my world it would be humiliating and disgraceful to be found stealing the paper off the net. Heres a hint boys, it aint worth the humiliation you do to your self esteem doing it to save a couple of bucks.
I can't speak for anyone else but even if you don't view the paper online or on the app, the OWH should still receive ad revenue. These ads are displayed on the app and website. There is no theft happening here, especially given that the OWH allows anyone to view their content for free online.

Also what's with all the pity toward the OWH? They're a powerful organization in the city with enough wealth to own more than one building downtown. I haven't seen their books but I don't think they're hurting much.
GRANDPASMUCKER
Human Relations

Post by GRANDPASMUCKER »

daveoma wrote:
GRANDPASMUCKER wrote:How twisted is it that we got a bunch of guys racing to be the first in here to post stories from the World Herald and yet they wont even support the paper. Some of these same guys who are seemingly experts on million dollar projects are the same guys who can't afford to buy the paper or are to cheap. Who would want to do business with or trust these kinds of people. I'm not rich by any means but in my world it would be humiliating and disgraceful to be found stealing the paper off the net. Heres a hint boys, it aint worth the humiliation you do to your self esteem doing it to save a couple of bucks.
I can't speak for anyone else but even if you don't view the paper online or on the app, the OWH should still receive ad revenue. These ads are displayed on the app and website. There is no theft happening here, especially given that the OWH allows anyone to view their content for free online.

Also what's with all the pity toward the OWH? They're a powerful organization in the city with enough wealth to own more than one building downtown. I haven't seen their books but I don't think they're hurting much.
I think it is safe to say that it is a well known and accepted fact that the newspaper business in this country has been hurting for years. The classified ads from Real Estate to used cars to employment want ads have all migrated to Craigs List. The delivery of the physical paper is a logistics nightmare and unsustainable for the future. Right now the delivery crew for the World Herald is a bunch of independent contractors using their own cars who are all highly underpaid and to be honest they are being taken advantage of. One of the biggest reasons people drop the paper is they get fed up with the inconsistent delivery. There is no fix for the delivery problems. How can you field a quality delivery force when it is made up of underpaid people using their own vehicles that quickly tire of getting ripped off and quit. Then you have trends in society where more people then ever don't read the paper any more or only read on the internet. Buffet did us a favor by stepping in and buying the paper whether you appreciate or realize it.
mrsticka
Parks & Recreation

Post by mrsticka »

Here in Lincoln, we get the World-Herald. Does Omaha get the Journal-Star?
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

mrsticka wrote:Here in Lincoln, we get the World-Herald. Does Omaha get the Journal-Star?
The Lincoln paper is available in Omaha.. You have to look for it though. It's not readily available at many convenience store locations here. Especially within the Omaha city limits.. But in Sarpy county and especially over to Gretna, it can be found much easier...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Omaha Cowboy wrote:
mrsticka wrote:Here in Lincoln, we get the World-Herald. Does Omaha get the Journal-Star?
The Lincoln paper is available in Omaha.. You have to look for it though. It's not readily available at many convenience store locations here. Especially within the Omaha city limits.. But in Sarpy county and especially over to Gretna, it can be found much easier...

Ciao..LiO...Peace

Granted I am not looking for it but I have not seen it available in Gretna.

Did a quick look up on the LJS web site and I have no idea how inclusive this is but they do not list anyplace in Gretna to buy a single copy of the paper. None in Omaha either.

http://journalstar.com/app/services/cir ... /index.php
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

nebugeater wrote:
Omaha Cowboy wrote:

Ciao..LiO...Peace

Granted I am not looking for it but I have not seen it available in Gretna.

Did a quick look up on the LJS web site and I have no idea how inclusive this is but they do not list anyplace in Gretna to buy a single copy of the paper. None in Omaha either.

http://journalstar.com/app/services/cir ... /index.php
About 5 years ago, I stopped buying newspapers with regularity as I've purchased the W-H app on my electronic devises.. That said, I remember when I was actively buying newspapers over the years, seeing at sporadic convenience store locations, the LJS available.. Especially the Sunday edition.. But it's never been easy to find a daily copy in Omaha proper.. I recall Sarpy county and areas further west having at least the Sunday edition more available..

But I'd suspect with less and less people buying newspapers these days, it would make sense other than the W-H, it being very hard to track down a daily LJS in the Omaha area.. And nearly as difficult to find a Sunday edition..

Maybe others can chime in on this one too as I'm only recalling this off my memory...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

I never understood why c-stores didn't stock more newspaper varieties. The distributor usually doesn't charge for copies which they don't sell.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

The World-Herald never ceases to amaze..

This fish wrap has always been challenged when it comes to getting Omaha's city and metro population numbers right..

So now we come to the glorious annual Metro Extra they put out the first Sunday in August. Columnist Michael Kelly writes his usual front piece column (which, as I've come to expect, is always very good)..he gets the Omaha metro number correct when he writes metro Omaha is home to "more than 900,000 residents".. But then we get to the important "demographic "Lay of the Land" section, and they use the 2013 US Census estimate metro population Number for metro Omaha. Yep- 3 YEARS OLD :roll: ..

Call it nit picky if you want, but it's flat out lazy journalism IMO.. Get it right, or don't print it at all. There is no excuse.. The most accurate numbers are right at our finger tips..sheesh..

Mini rant over, LOL...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
daveoma
Parks & Recreation

Post by daveoma »

Agreed, lazy journalism
NovakOmaha
Planning Board

Post by NovakOmaha »

Warren Buffet himself said that when a newspaper has a monopoly there is no incentive because if you don't like the owh you're still going to read it.

The unwashed masses probably don't care if Omaha has 900,000 residents or 500,000. All they know is they don't like sitting in traffic.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

I am one of those that still reads the paper almost daily The habit I have is to read the On line version most of the time Monday - Friday and the one in the driveway on Sat & Sun. The crazy thing is that there is no subscription model for me that makes since other than a seven day a week delivery option.

It has to be cheaper to deliver me the paper on line rather than toss one in my driveway. :roll:

Even if I wanted to read it on line seven days a week it is not an option that makes and since for me to subscribe that way.

Can someone explain to me the business model that rationalizes these subscription options. I am about ready to drop the paper and live with what I can get from the web site. I much prefer the on line edition that you can page through and is laid out just like the real paper but really starting to wonder if it is worth it.

What I want is a Sat/Sun delivery and the balance of the week on line at a cost savings to me rather than all the savings going to the OWH
Attachments
owh.JPG
owh.JPG (99.37 KiB) Viewed 5309 times
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

The fish paper edition is still subsidized by advertising. Switching to the online edition decreases their circulation numbers and advertising revenue.
NovakOmaha
Planning Board

Post by NovakOmaha »

Shortly after moving to Detroit the two local papers, the Free Press and the Detroit News, went from home delivery 7 days a week to home delivery Thursday, Friday and Sunday, or there is an option to receive only the Sunday paper. You can still pick up a printed copy at convenience stores and there is a service that for an extra fee will deliver to you 7 days a week.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Does anyone read the Breaking Brad column in the OWH.

Maybe I just don't get it but I cannot find anything but a very occasional nugget even remotely funny.

http://www.omaha.com/columnists/dickson ... 3909c.html

Today's take. Take a look and I would be interested in what of the 20 or so attempts you find funny. I don't expect this it be a home run on every try or that all attempts will find an audience with everyone but all I ever find are misses.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

nebugeater wrote:Does anyone read the Breaking Brad column in the OWH.

Maybe I just don't get it but I cannot find anything but a very occasional nugget even remotely funny.

Today's take. Take a look and I would be interested in what of the 20 or so attempts you find funny. I don't expect this it be a home run on every try or that all attempts will find an audience with everyone but all I ever find are misses.
I personally don't like his column at all. I actually can't believe that it is still in the daily paper. They must just need to fill up the space. They are all dry one-liners that usually don't make any sense.
GrandpaaSmucker
Parks & Recreation

Post by GrandpaaSmucker »

nebugeater wrote:Does anyone read the Breaking Brad column in the OWH.

You sound kind of grouchy maybe you should check and see if you are sitting on a tac or something. :lol: :lol: I like Breaking Brad! My favorite Breaking Brad joke in the past month was this one back in June:

" Some College World Series visitors were observed taking cellphone photos of "tornado damage" that turned out to be a sculpture on a Council Bluffs overpass."

That so called piece of art work is a joke. The artist should of named it Junkyard in the Sky. Brad just might have a tad of talent considering he wrote jokes for the Tonight Show for over a decade.
guy4omaha
Parks & Recreation

Post by guy4omaha »

To each his own I guess but I am with Skinz and Bugeater. I never have understood nor appreciated Breaking Brad. I have always felt embarrassed for him and embarrassed our town's paper has a spot for him. Other than that I am tack-free.
My son got a 27 on his ACT. No this score is not as high as what Jeff's son achieved. But one has to remember the paternal gene-pool my son has to overcome. On a PGPAB [Paternal Gene-Pool Adjusted Basis], my son's score is a 37 and Jeff's son's PGPAB ACT score is 19.