Alcohol at NCAA events.

Metro area and region sports discussion

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

nebugeater
City Council

Alcohol at NCAA events.

Post by nebugeater »

1620 Just reported that the NCAA just passed a one year trial approval on selling Alcohol at Baseball and Softball Championship playoff games for this year. That means that you will be able to buy a beer at the CWS. As I heard it this is for the NCAA tourney level and not for Conference tourney but who knows for sure yet.
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
iamjacobm
City Council

Re: 2016 CWS

Post by iamjacobm »

I am sure they are testing it here and OKC to see if they can be successful doing it at bowl games, and NCAA tourney games.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

KETV Story about the Beer and Wine:
http://www.ketv.com/news/beer-wine-to-b ... e/37534782
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

iamjacobm wrote:I am sure they are testing it here and OKC to see if they can be successful doing it at bowl games, and NCAA tourney games.

I agree 100%.

This allows for the door to be opened with an event that is not under the same spotlight and then they can roll it out and say we have been doing it here for X.
omaha79
Parks & Recreation

Post by omaha79 »

It's interesting to see this happen. Selling alcohol has been discussed for years, same as it has for football games at Memorial Stadium. It's getting harder and harder to compete against giant screen tvs, sports bars, fully stocked basement bars, etc.

Not sure how well $8 beers in long concession lines stems that tide, but something needs to be done. The demand for things like Nebraska football and CWS is getting more and more difficult to sustain as the prices go up and the in home/bar experience gets better and better.

20 years ago when I hd a 27 inch tube tv, I would never have thought it would make more sense to stay at home and watch a game. More and more, that's my preferred method of watching sports.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

omaha79 wrote:It's interesting to see this happen. Selling alcohol has been discussed for years, same as it has for football games at Memorial Stadium. It's getting harder and harder to compete against giant screen tvs, sports bars, fully stocked basement bars, etc.

Not sure how well $8 beers in long concession lines stems that tide, but something needs to be done. The demand for things like Nebraska football and CWS is getting more and more difficult to sustain as the prices go up and the in home/bar experience gets better and better.

20 years ago when I hd a 27 inch tube tv, I would never have thought it would make more sense to stay at home and watch a game. More and more, that's my preferred method of watching sports.

They've already been selling it in the bar on the club level, this is just expanding the availability.

Greg
omaha79
Parks & Recreation

Post by omaha79 »

Greg S wrote:
omaha79 wrote:It's interesting to see this happen. Selling alcohol has been discussed for years, same as it has for football games at Memorial Stadium. It's getting harder and harder to compete against giant screen tvs, sports bars, fully stocked basement bars, etc.

They've already been selling it in the bar on the club level, this is just expanding the availability.

Greg
I knew that, but there's a difference between offering it to a small amount of people in the club seats vs. general availability in the stadium. Just like how UNL has been allowing booze in suites for years, but beer in the general stadium hasn't gone past discussion stages. Now, beer at Nebraska football games is another discussion entirely and I'm not saying I'm for that.

But, in the age of 65" HDTV's, streaming services where you can watch literally any game, fully stocked home bars, etc. Leagues/schools have to look harder at things like this.
Brad
City Council

Re: Alcohol at NCAA events.

Post by Brad »

Looks like its permanent and expanding to all Championship events.

Wonder what other doors this will open?

Joe Quinn wrote: ‏@JoeESPN590
2m2 minutes ago
More
ALSO OF NOTE: New NCAA legislation eliminates the restriction of alcohol sales at championship events. Pilot program started two years ago at CWS. The beer. Is. In.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

And here is the OWH story:

Alcohol sales at NCAA championship events will continue after successful tests at College World Series

http://www.omaha.com/sports/cws/alcohol ... 96425.html
Omaha.com wrote:The NCAA announced Wednesday it has lifted all restrictions on the sale of alcohol at championship events. This comes after a pilot program was used the last two years at the College World Series to test the sale of alcohol.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

Assuming not just the championships but at the earlier round games too?

Greg
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Greg S wrote: Wed Apr 18, 2018 4:55 pm Assuming not just the championships but at the earlier round games too?

Greg
I had just read this a little while ago too. I assume the way it is worded it would be for the complete championship tourney. Football. The Three games total, Baseball the complete tourney, basketball, all the games for all 68 teams. That is how I read it anyway.
Busguy2010
County Board

Post by Busguy2010 »

Brad wrote: Wed Apr 18, 2018 3:53 pm Looks like its permanent and expanding to all Championship events.

Wonder what other doors this will open?
The last CWS game I went to was the championship in 2016. Oddly, that game took place at 11am or noon due to weather complications. Don't remember how much they cost, but I recall drinking a good few beers, while the sun was at its highest point as Coastal Carolina threw the winning pitch.

Honestly, they probably made a lot of money off of it. A lot of people unexpectedly decided to drink beer at 11 or noon and probably had to call into work to see that game. It was a good afternoon for all that were there. I did notice it was all canned beer at that time. They cracked and poured the canned beer into a plastic cup, which is kinda wasteful. Maybe there will be a change in that department.

As long as nobody acts a fool this will be okay. As far as I can tell, most of the spectators are above the age of 21.