Metro Area Fires

Discussion of current events, news, the latest happenings in Omaha

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

nebugeater
City Council

Metro Area Fires

Post by nebugeater »

On the heals of the M's Pub fire a little over a week ago there has been another substantial fire overnight.

Not on the same Level of M's but still a big loss it looks like Heafey-Heafey-Hoffmann-Dworak-Cutler Funeral Chapel at 7805 West Center Road
will be a total loss.

Two or three firefighters and an employee are injured and taken to the hospital but sounds like it is nothing too serious.

Would a building like this be required to have a sprinkler system? Is it old enough that even if it was required today it was grandfathered?

KETV story

http://www.ketv.com/news/2-firefighters ... e/37639616
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
bigredmed
Parks & Recreation

Re: Metro Area Fires

Post by bigredmed »

I was in that building a couple of times. I remember seeing smoke detectors and fire alarms, but I didn't recall sprinklers. Given the flamable substances in the building, I would have to think that that place would not have been grandfathered as the basic regs for fire safety in that environment are older than that building, and certainly older than after their major renovation in the 80's-90's. Sad that three people were hurt.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe standard fire sprinklers will not save a building, they are there to buy occupants more time to escape the from the building?
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Brad wrote:Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe standard fire sprinklers will not save a building, they are there to buy occupants more time to escape the from the building?

Correct and I understand it too. There is a benefit though in getting things slowed down with a sprinkler system so that there is more time for a fire department response. A second alarm was called in immediately after the first response as I understand it. It is only guessing but a sprinkler system could have slowed progression down enough to let the first on the scene have a chance to put it out.
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

OWH states that there was evidence of an explosion in the structure. It could have been another fire initiated by natural gas.
Verbum Domini Manet in Aeternum
OmahaJaysCU
Planning Board

Post by OmahaJaysCU »

The city doesn't have the ability to unilaterally require a building to do xyz updates. They can only enforce them if they come to the city for a permit. If nothing major changed it'd still be grandfathered in.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

OmahaJaysCU wrote:The city doesn't have the ability to unilaterally require a building to do xyz updates. They can only enforce them if they come to the city for a permit. If nothing major changed it'd still be grandfathered in.

did anyone say they did?
OmahaJaysCU
Planning Board

Post by OmahaJaysCU »

bigredmed wrote: Given the flamable substances in the building, I would have to think that that place would not have been grandfathered as the basic regs for fire safety in that environment are older than that building, and certainly older than after their major renovation in the 80's-90's.
This is what I was clarifying is all.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Channel 7 just reported that there are still about 100 cremated remains inside the Heafey-Heafey building...

They also said they are moving in to the old Gordmans building as a temporary funeral home at 120 and Center...
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Brad wrote:Channel 7 just reported that there are still about 100 cremated remains inside the Heafey-Heafey building...

They also said they are moving in to the old Gordmans building as a temporary funeral home at 120 and Center...
Glad they can get something to work out for temp facilities
Joe_Sovereign
Library Board

Post by Joe_Sovereign »

Fire in abandoned building at 16th and Nicholas in North Downtown. Building was scheduled to be demolished.

nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Joe_Sovereign wrote:Fire in abandoned building at 16th and Nicholas in North Downtown. Building was scheduled to be demolished.

I heard them say on the radio that there was a dumpster fire not to far from here and not long after this was reported. Never heard any more follow up but they did say it was leading to the question that both might have been suspicious in nature.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

As the storms rolled through last night / this morning it looks like the house that Aaron Graham's family lived in near Gretna was hit by lightning and lost to fire. Former Husker and NFL player for those that do not know.

No more of a disaster than someone who looses all their positions and a $150,000 residence but it is a big loss all the same.

http://www.ketv.com/news/omaha-firefigh ... e/39486546
Omababe
Planning Board

Post by Omababe »

nebugeater wrote:No more of a disaster than someone who looses all their positions and a $150,000 residence but it is a big loss all the same.
I live not too far from there (although in an area with paved streets and hydrants). That area is really isolated. Dirt roads and no city water from what I understand. The fire department had to truck in water. It's down in a valley and I would have expected the lightning to hit something higher up, like our neighborhood! :(

Question from "another network" here ... why don't houses use lightning rods anymore?
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Looks like the VooDoo Taco location that was being renovated has been lost to fire.

http://www.wowt.com/content/news/Restau ... 59641.html

Dundeemaha
Human Relations

Post by Dundeemaha »

This was being converted in to their new Burger/Milkshake restaurant "Rogue"
bbinks
Parks & Recreation

Post by bbinks »

Dundeemaha wrote:This was being converted in to their new Burger/Milkshake restaurant "Rogue"
I thought the new location opened already. Voodoo's Facebook page at one time said that Rogue was not associated with Voodoo whatsoever, even wished the new owners well... but the OWH coverage on the fire said its the same owner. The closed for repairs on the Voodoo mislead several patrons. There was a non so nice debate on that same Facebook post.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

This is what happens when you mess around with VooDoo
Dundeemaha
Human Relations

Post by Dundeemaha »

bbinks wrote:
Dundeemaha wrote:This was being converted in to their new Burger/Milkshake restaurant "Rogue"
I thought the new location opened already. Voodoo's Facebook page at one time said that Rogue was not associated with Voodoo whatsoever, even wished the new owners well... but the OWH coverage on the fire said its the same owner. The closed for repairs on the Voodoo mislead several patrons. There was a non so nice debate on that same Facebook post.
Maybe there was a split before the fire. But from their yelp page:

nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Hope this doesn't amount to anything but MeanStreets is reporting a possible fire at 1020 Howard St

debradomayer
Library Board

Post by debradomayer »

Turns out discarded smoking materials. Thank goodness. But has anyone else noticed all the fires in North Omaha since last fall? Several in vacant buildings/houses. Seems to be a fire bug
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

debradomayer wrote:Turns out discarded smoking materials. Thank goodness. But has anyone else noticed all the fires in North Omaha since last fall? Several in vacant buildings/houses. Seems to be a fire bug

There was a rash of fires in Lincoln too over the last few months. a few weeks back they got a person that was starting them
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Second apartment fire in as many months going near the 120 and Blondo area. Last month was 117th and Blondo, today 120th and Charles.
debradomayer
Library Board

Post by debradomayer »

Could it be there's a West Omaha firebug? We know about the #NorfOmahaFireBug
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

debradomayer wrote:Could it be there's a West Omaha firebug? We know about the #NorfOmahaFireBug
Apartment Building on a windy day? My money is on "Smoking Materials"...
bbinks
Parks & Recreation

Post by bbinks »

Was there 2 or 3 at the complex at 144th & Maple? All smoking that I recall.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

bbinks wrote:Was there 2 or 3 at the complex at 144th & Maple? All smoking that I recall.
Those have been a couple years now, and several others around town since them.
bbinks
Parks & Recreation

Post by bbinks »

Brad wrote:
bbinks wrote:Was there 2 or 3 at the complex at 144th & Maple? All smoking that I recall.
Those have been a couple years now, and several others around town since them.
I know of the time frame, just not how many.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Looks like a 10K sq ft house that was vacant near 182th & F went up in flames overnight.

http://www.ketv.com/article/fire-destro ... e/13514745
GrandpaaSmucker
Parks & Recreation

Post by GrandpaaSmucker »

How about that fire this weekend at the Firehouse on 103rd & Fort. Turns out they were cooking and the alarm went off so they scooted off to put out a fire and in the process left their own stove on unattended and a fire started and they burned up a bunch of the station. It sounds like one fireman had stayed behind and he smelled the smoke so he called the Fire Department and a truck and crew came out and put the fire out. The Fire Department guy that was already at the station figured it would be too risky to go put out that big bad kitchen stove fire so he waited until a truck came out to save him. I am not impressed. Keystone Firemen! :shock:

https://www.omaha.com/news/metro/when-a ... e838e.html
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

It may have been more than a stove fire by the time the battalion chief found it. Even if the fire trucks were at the station, they probably would have called for a standard structure fire response if the firefighters weren't able to contain the fire with a fire extinguisher or whatever..
Verbum Domini Manet in Aeternum