Zag Apartments (51st & Mayberry)

Downtown, Midtown, and all parts east of 72nd.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Fresh03
New to the Neighborhood

Zag Apartments (51st & Mayberry)

Post by Fresh03 »

So this project has been commented on a few different posts but Bluestone had a neighborhood meeting on 11/17 that provided a lot good information about this project. Their plan is to build 3 buildings, 2 "L" shaped ones with a smaller rectangle one in the center. The 2 "L" buildings will be 5 stories tall with the rectangle one being 3 stories tall. The plan calls for a total of 215 units which will be broken down into 161 studios, 32 1 bedrooms, and 22 2 bedrooms apartments.

The parking will be underneath the 2 "L" shaped buildings and a large lot right behind 3 Happiness. They plan on doing a tree and traffic study to minimize the impact of both. They also hope to begin construction in May 2016 and be finished by Fall 2017.

I took some pictures of the presentation with my phone so I apologize for the less than stellar pics.

iamjacobm
City Council

Re: 51st & Mayberry

Post by iamjacobm »

Thanks for sharing!
Ramlco
New to the Neighborhood

Post by Ramlco »

Looks like a cool project with access to great Chinese food.
mcarch
Library Board

Post by mcarch »

I would have commented on this project before any details were released but was under client confidence. During that time, we weren't told what was going there, just that Bluestone was interested in buying the house behind 3 Happiness.
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

What is here now? Isn't this a neighborhood of single family residences?
ShawJ
Parks & Recreation

Post by ShawJ »

nativeomahan wrote:What is here now? Isn't this a neighborhood of single family residences?

Looks like 3 homes, maybe?

Pipe dream here, but it would have been cool to put one of the buildings on/facing Leavenworth with first floor retail for the current businesses.
hatwate
Library Board

Post by hatwate »

From our Nextdoor Neighbor site: "Preliminary and Final Plat approval of MAYBERRY PLACE (Northwest of 51st and Mayberry Streets) is February 3rd at 1:30 in the Legislative Chambers (LC Level) of the Omaha/Douglas Civic Center, 1819 Farnam St.. The developer is requesting 5 exceptions, wavers, to existing zoning regulations. To learn more about the requests and how they will impact you and your neighborhood you can attend a meeting Saturday 9:30 a.m. at Legends Coffee. Please share this information with those who live in the neighborhood but are not Nextdoor or Aksarben/Elmwood Park Neighborhood Assoc. members. NE State law requires that all property owners withing 300 feet of a zoning related request be notified of the change. "

Also "There is s petition to sign on the Aksarben Elmwood Park Neighborhood Association's Facebook page if you wish to oppose the development."
hatwate
Library Board

Post by hatwate »

Does anyone know what topic was created for all the prior posts related to properties bought on or near Saddle Creek Road south of Nebraska Medicine? At one time, this was included in it. Sorry to ask here, but I can't find it thru searches.
hatwate
Library Board

Post by hatwate »

From the same Nextdoor Neighbor discussion, the apartment count is now 193 with no break down on types of units other then they will be market rate. Also "The developer has additionally engaged John Royster, who lives in the AEPNA neighborhood and owns and operates a highly regarded landscape architecture and planning firm, Big Muddy Workshop, to consult with the developer, Bluestone, its project lead architectural firm, Alley Poyner, and meet with neighbors in order to develop recommendations regarding possible additional landscaping and environmental suggestions". This information was all provided by Chris Jerram, the City Councilman for the area.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

hatwate wrote:Does anyone know what topic was created for all the prior posts related to properties bought on or near Saddle Creek Road south of Nebraska Medicine? At one time, this was included in it. Sorry to ask here, but I can't find it thru searches.

Are you talking about this thread: Re: UNMC Saddle Creek Development
hatwate wrote:Bluestone has also bought all of the property other than the Masonic Manor on that block. The stretch on Leavenworth is a strip mall with a Chinese restaurant, etc. south across Leavenworth street from Valentinos. They just completed the purchase of all the lots behind that strip mall along 51 St. I know it isn't UNMC but I couldn't find anywhere else to post it.
hatwate
Library Board

Post by hatwate »

It was in the Nebraska Medicine forum that you referenced. In it there was a mention of breaking some of it off into a rumors section. Thanks!
U R my Helix
Human Relations

Post by U R my Helix »

193 unit apartment building opposed by neighbors, calling it a "monster building" see http://www.wowt.com/home/headlines/Neig ... 50721.html

To be reviewed by planning on Feb 3rd, 2016.
bigredmed
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed »

Got to say this for the neighbors. It is a single family neighborhood and the infrastructure is built for that. The development is going to turn it into NovoDundee. Hope the planning board tacks on some appropriate infrastructure improvements for the neighbors.
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

That rendering is awful, and that complex looks gross. I'll side with the NIMBYs on this one.
When fortune smiles on something as violent and ugly as revenge, it seems proof like no other that not only does God exist, you're doing his will.

The Bride
U R my Helix
Human Relations

Post by U R my Helix »

bigredmed wrote: It is a single family neighborhood
It is not just a single family neighborhood. There are businesses and a 228 unit 21 story high-rise on the block. The new apartments will sit in the shadow of that high-rise that was built in the 60's. It sounds like the right fit to me.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

The third tallest building in the city sits next to this site and has for decades.

Bluestone has a proven record of fitting buildings into neighborhoods well. I would be pretty ticked off uf I were them and got a second big project brought down.
jelizh
Home Owners Association

Post by jelizh »

I have to agree with the neighbors on this one. I grew up 3 blocks from here and the size of the development is a bit excessive, and almost makes me wonder if their target market is solely UNO students. I feel that Masonic Manor works because it fronts Leavenworth, but this development is further into the neighborhood. Something similar to the style of the Little Italy town homes could have fit well here.
bigredmed
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed »

Elmwood Tower works because it is a low impact place. Most of the residents who still drive, park their cars in their lot. They tend not to use a lot of space. 193 apartments are going to bring in upwards of 400 people, cars, bikes, etc. They are going to consume neighborhood resources. Not saying that they can't, but I think that the developers should be on the hook for the expansion of infrastructure so the neighborhood and taxpayers don't get stuck with either crappy roads and parking or lots of predictable expense dumped on our backs so a handful of land developers can get rich.
riceweb
Library Board

Post by riceweb »

Whatever the outcome here, I think it's important that the city continue to show that it's open to increased urbanization, open to change, and open to investment. I worry that this project and the failed 71st and Cass apartment project both suggest a disconnect between developers, city planners, and homeowners, and that friction could dramatically slow projects in Aksarben, Benson, etc.

Worse, that area near 51st and Mayberry, especially to the south, really hasn't seen the same uptick that the rest of the Aksarben area has. Home values had been skyrocketing in proximity to Aksarben Village, and here comes a project that promises to extend that urban village feel further east where home values haven't been increasing as quickly, and the neighborhood has turned against the project.

Does the city need to step in earlier in the development process and provide guidance on the recommended size for these projects? Neighbors perhaps would have accepted 100 apartment units, or as jelizh suggested on this board, townhomes would have likely been welcomed with open arms. But on that note, are these projects no longer profitable under a certain scale? I'm just curious how the city can help to ensure these projects still move forward while also taking into consideration homeowners' desire to ease into changes of this scale.
GRANDPASMUCKER
Human Relations

Post by GRANDPASMUCKER »

If someone is going to build a bunch of nice new apartments down in that neighborhood we should shut up and thank them. That old neighborhood needs all the new development it can get. Final answer.
choke
Human Relations

Post by choke »

U R my Helix wrote:
It is not just a single family neighborhood. There are businesses and a 228 unit 21 story high-rise on the block. The new apartments will sit in the shadow of that high-rise that was built in the 60's. It sounds like the right fit to me.

I have to disagree to the development being a right fit. The Elmwood Tower stands out and I am not sure if that is in a good way. I could understand some row houses going up but an apartment complex seems too much. Interesting how Fairacres had enough clout to shut down the proposed apartment complex (by the same developer) off of 70th and Cass but this neighborhood is seemingly going to have no choice. Money talks, bull**** walks, I guess. Not that I am against development. I thought the 70th and Cass complex was more inline with the area than this proposal but then again, who am I?
vvindows10
New to the Neighborhood

Post by vvindows10 »

I understand the frustration of neighbors who have previously enjoyed the view of the overgrown wooded lots next door. However, If you wanted to have row style townhomes next door then you should have banded together to buy and develop the area.

I think you have a good neighbor in the proposed project, if it does not get approved I know of several other developers who would be jumping at the chance to buy this now assembled parcel. They build low income affordable housing, it would be on a smaller scale perhaps and take up to two years to get approved but it is your other option if the development fails. Be happy with what this is bringing to your area in the form of a market rate development.

As for consuming "neighborhood resources" this apartment community will generate far more taxes than all of the 17 homes that actually border the development. I looked up taxes on several similar developments and the taxes for the new development should be about $208,922 per year based on the copms.

The Leavenworth area needs new housing that is not confined to small 2 bedroom homes or chopped up older homes converted to rentals. These new residents will support the many restaurants and businesses in the area and they do not necessarily wish to live in the housing we grew up in. These new residents are the people who work in our midtown and downtown areas and they should have housing choices available to them.
bigredmed
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed »

But where are the 400 odd cars going to park? How about the coats of expanding Leavenworth to handle the extra traffic? Are the developers going to have to pay for this? Or are we expected to let the taxpayers take it in the shorts so the developers can get rich?
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

bigredmed wrote:But where are the 400 odd cars going to park? How about the coats of expanding Leavenworth to handle the extra traffic? Are the developers going to have to pay for this? Or are we expected to let the taxpayers take it in the shorts so the developers can get rich?
The cars can park in the parking garage they will build below the complex.

And expand Leavenworth for a 200 unit apartment complex? That's an absurd worry.
vvindows10
New to the Neighborhood

Post by vvindows10 »

bigredmed wrote:But where are the 400 odd cars going to park?
Fresh03 wrote:The parking will be underneath the 2 "L" shaped buildings and a large lot right behind 3 Happiness.
It sounds to me like the parking is factored into the plans. The apartment residents are not going to be parking in the driveways of the houses.
Taco
Human Relations

Post by Taco »

This is the type of project Omaha needs. Turning two single family homes into apartments for 200 will provide a great boost of density for the area, and I believe that it's close enough to Leavenworth that it won't affect the neighborhood too much.
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

bigredmed wrote:But where are the 400 odd cars going to park? How about the coats of expanding Leavenworth to handle the extra traffic? Are the developers going to have to pay for this? Or are we expected to let the taxpayers take it in the shorts so the developers can get rich?
Lol
vvindows10
New to the Neighborhood

Post by vvindows10 »

I love the debate I see going on about this project. A very good use of the forum and everyone is being nice :)

While I agree that the 1/2 block South of Leavenworth is mostly residential, I don't believe that all of the owners share the same level of interest in the area. There are a lot of great homes in the area but I do not see how this development will negatively impact any of them. Here is another way of looking at the neighborhood. I really think to avoid decline the area needs the added community pride the new residents will add. This is based on information from the assessor website and my own observations.
riceweb
Library Board

Post by riceweb »

Great map, vvindows10--you should definitely consider sharing that with Chris Jerram.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

The rendering from OWH.

daveoma
Parks & Recreation

Post by daveoma »

vvindows10 wrote:I understand the frustration of neighbors who have previously enjoyed the view of the overgrown wooded lots next door. However, If you wanted to have row style townhomes next door then you should have banded together to buy and develop the area.

I think you have a good neighbor in the proposed project, if it does not get approved I know of several other developers who would be jumping at the chance to buy this now assembled parcel. They build low income affordable housing, it would be on a smaller scale perhaps and take up to two years to get approved but it is your other option if the development fails. Be happy with what this is bringing to your area in the form of a market rate development.

As for consuming "neighborhood resources" this apartment community will generate far more taxes than all of the 17 homes that actually border the development. I looked up taxes on several similar developments and the taxes for the new development should be about $208,922 per year based on the copms.

The Leavenworth area needs new housing that is not confined to small 2 bedroom homes or chopped up older homes converted to rentals. These new residents will support the many restaurants and businesses in the area and they do not necessarily wish to live in the housing we grew up in. These new residents are the people who work in our midtown and downtown areas and they should have housing choices available to them.
I agree with everything you said. I think these people are just afraid of change.
Busguy2010
County Board

Post by Busguy2010 »

If I lived in the neighborhood, my main concerns are

A: there needs to be a light at 51st
B: there needs to be a left turn lane onto westbound Leavenworth
C: will there be a ton of speeding on 51st?
D: South bound traffic will use 51st, Pacific, 50th, 52nd, to get to Center. Will these streets be improved, widened?

I don't think the infrastructure is there. Unless of course the developers are relying less on automobile transportation.
jelizh
Home Owners Association

Post by jelizh »

Busguy2010 wrote:If I lived in the neighborhood, my main concerns are

A: there needs to be a light at 51st
B: there needs to be a left turn lane onto westbound Leavenworth
C: will there be a ton of speeding on 51st?
D: South bound traffic will use 51st, Pacific, 50th, 52nd, to get to Center. Will these streets be improved, widened?

I don't think the infrastructure is there. Unless of course the developers are relying less on automobile transportation.
I agree on the traffic light and turn lane at 51st and Leavenworth. I'm sure no matter the outcome, a traffic study would be necessary for the rest of the neighborhood. For those that do not traverse this neighborhood during rush hour, it can get quite busy as is. Westbound Leavenworth merges into one lane to accommodate the somewhat recent addition of a bike lane. With at least 193 new residents, not even considering multiple residents per unit, the area is going to need changes. (Especially if a majority of this development's dwellers attend UNO or UNMC and will use Leavenworth heavily in their commutes.)
redhotchili2333
New to the Neighborhood

Post by redhotchili2333 »

Looking at the future land use map it seems to me that both the developer and the NIMBY's have an argument. It's easy to understand how the developer could not accomplish this type of project next to Fair Acres and that could be an outlier. I do feel however that the way this particular project plays out will send a clear message to both neighborhoods and developers for the future of urban infill.
vvindows10
New to the Neighborhood

Post by vvindows10 »

I don't know why but I find this a fascinating project. I wish I could find the project links you are all so good at because I wanted to review the parking and consider the posts related to those concerns. But heck since tomorrow is a snow day (yea!) I made my own just to see how many would fit. I got 304 parking stalls on the site assuming that 53 go under each L shaped building. For scale I used the Hy-vee lot on 51st, which by the way fits on the site. Since this is mainly studio and one bedroom apartments I would think this to be enough. The number 400 was tossed out earlier but I think that is high. How many stalls are required per unit in Omaha? In my younger days I know that I did not own multiple autos when I lived in a studio apartment. Hope this is not overkill on this topic.
51st ave
New to the Neighborhood

Post by 51st ave »

U R my Helix wrote:
What makes that tower work is the green space next to it. From my perspective on 51st avenue, it is not a good fit. I moved into this neighborhood 8 years ago because it is quiet and feels like you are not in the middle of the city, even though you are next to Leavenworth. You can move into my house when I put it up for rent if this project happens.
51st ave
New to the Neighborhood

Post by 51st ave »

edit: post deleted
Last edited by 51st ave on Tue Feb 02, 2016 10:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
51st ave
New to the Neighborhood

Post by 51st ave »

Taco wrote:This is the type of project Omaha needs. Turning two single family homes into apartments for 200 will provide a great boost of density for the area, and I believe that it's close enough to Leavenworth that it won't affect the neighborhood too much.
I live here. This is not a positive. I did not move here in the hopes of one day achieving increased density. I am looking to move now and will turn my home into rental property.
PotatoeEatsFish
Human Relations

Post by PotatoeEatsFish »

51st ave wrote:
Taco wrote:This is the type of project Omaha needs. Turning two single family homes into apartments for 200 will provide a great boost of density for the area, and I believe that it's close enough to Leavenworth that it won't affect the neighborhood too much.
I live here. This is not a positive. I did not move here in the hopes of one day achieving increased density. I am looking to move now and will turn my home into rental property.
They build an apartment complex in my neighborhood and nobody complained, if anything it revitalized the area.
#SaveTheUglyGrainSilos2024