Mixed Use Hotel (9th & O Sts.)

Capital city news and discussion.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

CapitalGuy
Human Relations

Mixed Use Hotel (9th & O Sts.)

Post by CapitalGuy »

Hotel Project in the Works

Undisclosed developer is planning a 250 room suite-style hotel with attached parking garage and also residential and retail elements. Sounds like it could be a substantial structure (100'+). Another nice bit of infill. A few older buildings will be in the path of the wrecking ball. Not sure what historic or preservation value they have.
Coyote
City Council

Re: Mixed Use Hotel (9th & O Sts.)

Post by Coyote »

Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

Wow, this is really bad if they are planning on knocking down all the buildings on the block.
Louie
County Board

Post by Louie »

Linkin5 wrote:Wow, this is really bad if they are planning on knocking down all the buildings on the block.
Agreed.
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

When ls the protest?
15-17, 26, 32
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

Sounds like a fantastic project.
CapitalGuy
Human Relations

Post by CapitalGuy »

I agree that this has the potential to be an outstanding project although I need to hear more details first. I know the historic preservation movement is en vogue on this forum but I am willing to lose the buildings in question to get what it sounds like might be on the table. It is important to note that article makes it sound as if the project will only stretch from 9th street to the Terminal building and then from O to the alley between O and N. I suppose the developers may not have yet approached the owners of the buildings between the alley and N Street though. Although, those buildings only consist of one of any real historical value - unless we want to retain an important example Morton building construction.
GetUrban
Planning Board

Post by GetUrban »

If the new development is anything like the stuff going on in the Haymarket and Canopy Street, it will be good for Lincoln. But it's hard to know without any renderings. Hope it's not a typical chain hotel like the ones north of TD Amertrade stadium in Omaha.
If the new development accommodates mixed uses better, it's a win-win, since the old buildings in question don't appear to have a very high historical value. I don't think historical preservation is necessarily "in vogue" here on this forum as much as those people simply wanting good urban design. Saving significant historic buildings, or keeping their historical context intact is often the best way to achieve that.
He said "They are some big, ugly red brick buildings"
...and then they were gone.
edsas
Human Relations

Post by edsas »

It shall be the tallest building in Lincoln since Wells Fargo Bank:

http://journalstar.com/business/local/n ... b64c7.html
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

edsas wrote:It shall be the tallest building in Lincoln since Wells Fargo Bank:

This project has great potential. Hopefully it is well planned and a great addition for downtown Lincoln..

It's been a long time edsas.. I hope all is well...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
CapitalGuy
Human Relations

Post by CapitalGuy »

It certainly does have great potential. It is kind of funny how 150' building in Lincoln is heralded and a 250' building in Omaha is bemoaned. This building should have prominence in the western and northern views of the skyline.
edsas
Human Relations

Post by edsas »

Omaha Cowboy wrote:

Ciao..LiO...Peace
I'm a heavy-duty lurker nowadays. The difference between having 2 kids under 5 (when I used to post a lot ten years ago) and having 4 kids from 2 to 13.

Glad guys like you keep the torch going, Cowboy. :D
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

edsas wrote:I'm a heavy-duty lurker nowadays. The difference between having 2 kids under 5 (when I used to post a lot ten years ago) and having 4 kids from 2 to 13.
And moving back from Califonia...?
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

edsas wrote:
Omaha Cowboy wrote:

Ciao..LiO...Peace
I'm a heavy-duty lurker nowadays. The difference between having 2 kids under 5 (when I used to post a lot ten years ago) and having 4 kids from 2 to 13.

Glad guys like you keep the torch going, Cowboy. :D
You've got your hands full for sure..

I too, took a break, posted sporadically and mainly lurked for about 4 years..

Thanks to Coyote and Brad getting on my a$$, lol, I've been back consistently for about a year now..

Glad all is well my friend :thumb: ...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
edsas
Human Relations

Post by edsas »

Coyote wrote:
edsas wrote:I'm a heavy-duty lurker nowadays. The difference between having 2 kids under 5 (when I used to post a lot ten years ago) and having 4 kids from 2 to 13.
And moving back from Califonia...?
Yep. Moved to La Vista in 2010. My wife and I decided the kids needed a proper Nebraska upbringing like we had. But I've got one foot back in California for business purposes.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

Was in Lincoln over the weekend. So much activity in their downtown. Great to see the momentum continuing.

Greg
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

Downtown Lincoln which was stagnant for so long is on fire. I will gladly trade in these old buildings knowing that something in it's place is significant.
Garrett
Planning Board

Post by Garrett »

Nov 26, 2015
Linkin5 wrote:Wow, this is really bad if they are planning on knocking down all the buildings on the block.
Feb 15, 2016
Linkin5 wrote:Downtown Lincoln which was stagnant for so long is on fire. I will gladly trade in these old buildings knowing that something in it's place is significant.
???
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
PotatoeEatsFish
Human Relations

Post by PotatoeEatsFish »

Garrett wrote:Nov 26, 2015
Feb 15, 2016
Linkin5 wrote:Downtown Lincoln which was stagnant for so long is on fire. I will gladly trade in these old buildings knowing that something in it's place is significant.
???
Lol he sounds like half the Republican presidential candidates.
#SaveTheUglyGrainSilos2024
Garrett
Planning Board

Post by Garrett »

PotatoeEatsFish wrote:
Feb 15, 2016
???
Lol he sounds like half the Republican presidential candidates.
Heh, maybe some special interest groups got to him
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

It is just so crazy. Agree with DT Lincoln being stagnant for so long. Between PBA and all of the development around it, the new housing, UNL projects-including housing, now this....wow. It's running from Haymarket all the way to the Antelope Valley stuff.

Greg
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

Feb 15, 2016
???
You are confused that I changed my position based on this project being significant? Ok, bud.
Garrett
Planning Board

Post by Garrett »

Linkin5 wrote:
Feb 15, 2016
???
You are confused that I changed my position based on this project being significant? Ok, bud.
I mean it was equally as substantial when it was announced as it is now. I just found it odd you flipped your position when the only new information offered was height.
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

Garrett wrote:
Linkin5 wrote:
Feb 15, 2016
???
I mean it was equally as substantial when it was announced as it is now. I just found it odd you flipped your position when the only new information offered was height.
I must have missed where the original announcement stated it would be 12 floors?
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

You have to admit that the initial Site Plan had hints of a great project, but it wasn't until they announced the extent of the project you had to go from a hmmm, to a heck yeah lickity split.
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

In linkins defense, I was kind of the same way because this announcement came about after OPA said they'd level the Specht building for a parking garage, and it kind of appeared that a bunch of businesses and historic buildings here were going to be razed for a potentially insubstantial development. It's kind of the same boat as when they announced the Medical Arts building was going to be imploded for FNB. It sucks to lose a historic block but it's not so awful if you're getting something awesome in return.
When fortune smiles on something as violent and ugly as revenge, it seems proof like no other that not only does God exist, you're doing his will.

The Bride
Garrett
Planning Board

Post by Garrett »

Literally the only new information given was the height of the building though. The information from the original article even speculated it would be 100 feet or more. I simply think it's odd that the only thing that changed people's minds about this was that it was going to be tall. There was strong speculation about everything else before, and it was considered a bad thing then. But then it's going to be 12 stories? |expletive| yeah!
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

What also turned me around on it was the composition of the building, for example, they are going to build the parking into the building instead of having a separate parking garage, like HDR should have done.
When fortune smiles on something as violent and ugly as revenge, it seems proof like no other that not only does God exist, you're doing his will.

The Bride
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

Garrett wrote:Literally the only new information given was the height of the building though. The information from the original article even speculated it would be 100 feet or more. I simply think it's odd that the only thing that changed people's minds about this was that it was going to be tall. There was strong speculation about everything else before, and it was considered a bad thing then. But then it's going to be 12 stories? |expletive| yeah!
Sorry I changed my position when I found out more on the project? I'm not sure what else to say.
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

Linkin5 wrote:
Garrett wrote:Literally the only new information given was the height of the building though. The information from the original article even speculated it would be 100 feet or more. I simply think it's odd that the only thing that changed people's minds about this was that it was going to be tall. There was strong speculation about everything else before, and it was considered a bad thing then. But then it's going to be 12 stories? |expletive| yeah!
Sorry I changed my position when I found out more on the project? I'm not sure what else to say.

HOW DARE you!

Here at Eomahaforums we formulate our opinions early and stick to them!
No posts exist for this topic
Garrett
Planning Board

Post by Garrett »

Linkin5 wrote:
It wasn't meant to be a personal attack on you. I just found it odd.
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

I've been in favor of it since the beginning. All are welcome on the bandwagon.

Greg
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

Sorry don't have time to post link. The article in the LJS yesterday stated that this project has moved forward. It will be 12 stories tall comprised of first floor retail and a mix of apartments and hotel.
PotatoeEatsFish
Human Relations

Linkin5 wrote:Sorry don't have time to post link. The article in the LJS yesterday stated that this project has moved forward. It will be 12 stories tall comprised of first floor retail and a mix of apartments and hotel.
:banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Here is the link to the article: Great to see the redevelopment, but sucks to see those old buildings go.
Plans moving forward for Ninth and O high-rise
The project's cost is estimated at $45 million to $55 million, with the potential of $8 million to $10 million in tax-increment financing available.
According to county property records, three of the four properties that would be part of the redevelopment have been bought for a little more than $1.8 million by Hotel Land Investments LLC, whose manager is Lincoln-based hotel developer Michael Works.

The building at 901 O St. that used to house Knickerbockers has not yet been sold.
PotatoeEatsFish
Human Relations

I'm so excited to see the renderings for this!
CapitalGuy
Human Relations

Post by CapitalGuy »

Planning Board Approves Development
According to documents submitted to the Planning Department earlier this year, the redevelopment plan includes a 12-story building that would have underground parking, first-floor retail, a hotel and residential units.
CapitalGuy
Human Relations

Post by CapitalGuy »

Council Reviews TIF Request
The current proposal is to have two hotels, 50 apartments or condos and four floors of private parking in the new building adjacent to the 100-year-old Terminal Building.
The TIF will go primarily to pay for a high-quality exterior material for all 12 stories, not just the first 20 feet as required by downtown design standards.
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

City council info made it seem like this might be a total of 13 stories, might not just say 13 because it's bad luck?
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »