CHI

Have an inside scoop? Word on a new retailer or restaurant? Share it here!

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

CHI

Post by Guest »

Reportedly CHI is having big funding issues and current construction at Bergan has stopped.
iamjacobm
City Council

Re: CHI

Post by iamjacobm »

Guest wrote:Reportedly CHI is having big funding issues and current construction at Bergan has stopped.
I have heard that CHI was having some trouble in other markets. The whole organization seems like a mess.
daveoma
Parks & Recreation

Post by daveoma »

iamjacobm wrote:
Guest wrote:Reportedly CHI is having big funding issues and current construction at Bergan has stopped.
I have heard that CHI was having some trouble in other markets. The whole organization seems like a mess.
What does CHI stand for?
Too Lazy to sign-in

Post by Too Lazy to sign-in »

National: Catholic Health Initiatives, which operates a bunch of hospital networks. Local: CHI Health, operator of 60% of the hospitals in Omaha.
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

iamjacobm wrote:
Employees are leaving them in droves here. They're pushing job advertisements really hard. Last time I was in Oakview Mall, the walls and tables were covered in job advertisements. From the nurses I work with that came from various CHI hospitals, they tend to treat their employees like cattle. They also have terrible benefits. One nurse from Creighton said that Creighton had great insurance, Alegent-Creighton had okay insurance, and CHI Creighten had horrible insurance - the benefits were as little as legally allowable and the deductibles were as high as legally allowable. They also politely refer to them as 'the Walmart of hospitals.'
When fortune smiles on something as violent and ugly as revenge, it seems proof like no other that not only does God exist, you're doing his will.

The Bride
daveoma
Parks & Recreation

Post by daveoma »

Yikes, that's sad

Post by Guest »

Construction should have started back up. Heard that construction was halted at ALL CHI hospitals nation wide because their bond/credit rating took a big hit. Current projects will be complete but no new projects will be started anywhere.
jomfa
New to the Neighborhood

Post by jomfa »

The disagreement with BCBSNE from August 2014-July 2015 really hurt them. Patients haven't returned to them as they would have liked either.
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

jomfa wrote:The disagreement with BCBSNE from August 2014-July 2015 really hurt them. Patients haven't returned to them as they would have liked either.
The patients we took from them actually went out of their way to change policies or whatever so that they could come back to NMH.
When fortune smiles on something as violent and ugly as revenge, it seems proof like no other that not only does God exist, you're doing his will.

The Bride
Puffin

Post by Puffin »

jomfa wrote:The disagreement with BCBSNE from August 2014-July 2015 really hurt them. Patients haven't returned to them as they would have liked either.
Not true at all! Hospitals and clinics ahead of projected with the vast majority of pts returning along with new pts.

Post by Guest »

Have absolutely no idea what hospital or clinics you are talking about, but the only way is if the projected numbers were in the single digits. Of the 3 MDs on my block that worked for CHI, two had to leave because volume was so far down and the one that stayed says she has seen less than a 10% return of patients. The only way she has been able to keep in business is doing some locum work.
Puffin

Post by Puffin »

Guest wrote:Have absolutely no idea what hospital or clinics you are talking about, but the only way is if the projected numbers were in the single digits. Of the 3 MDs on my block that worked for CHI, two had to leave because volume was so far down and the one that stayed says she has seen less than a 10% return of patients. The only way she has been able to keep in business is doing some locum work.
As a physician who works for CHI I can tell you that is not the current situation. Some physicians left during the time BCBS was not allowing pts to be seen by CHI physicians but since we have been back in network at least 90% of our pts have come back. While CHI nationally has had some issues in different markets the Omaha CHI network is doing very well. If a physician had <10% of their BCBS pts come back there may be other issues. The only organization that seems to be having problems currently is Think! which is losing pharmacists, physicians and staff. So in summary the answer to your question of which hospitals and clinics I am talking about it is the Omaha CHI clinics and hospitals. If you have first hand knowledge of the numbers that I do I would be more than happy to discuss, but I am tired of seeing generalized statements that are not true about Omaha CHI. While I understand that CHI National may not be popular with all to spread untruths about CHI locally only hurts those good Omahans who work here for CHI (one of the largest employers in Omaha) and their families.
choke
Human Relations

Post by choke »

Puffin wrote:
Guest wrote:Have absolutely no idea what hospital or clinics you are talking about, but the only way is if the projected numbers were in the single digits. Of the 3 MDs on my block that worked for CHI, two had to leave because volume was so far down and the one that stayed says she has seen less than a 10% return of patients. The only way she has been able to keep in business is doing some locum work.
As a physician who works for CHI I can tell you that is not the current situation. Some physicians left during the time BCBS was not allowing pts to be seen by CHI physicians but since we have been back in network at least 90% of our pts have come back. While CHI nationally has had some issues in different markets the Omaha CHI network is doing very well. If a physician had <10% of their BCBS pts come back there may be other issues. The only organization that seems to be having problems currently is Think! which is losing pharmacists, physicians and staff. So in summary the answer to your question of which hospitals and clinics I am talking about it is the Omaha CHI clinics and hospitals. If you have first hand knowledge of the numbers that I do I would be more than happy to discuss, but I am tired of seeing generalized statements that are not true about Omaha CHI. While I understand that CHI National may not be popular with all to spread untruths about CHI locally only hurts those good Omahans who work here for CHI (one of the largest employers in Omaha) and their families.
It's a shame about Think!. There are a lot of good doctors there that took a chance. I am assuming that the building is a far cry from what the physicians' patients are used to. They may be turned off by it. The concept is a good one though, pay per symptom and not by the amount of procedures performed. I don't do the books at any of the area hospitals but from my experience, they all seem to operate the same way. I don't see any of them closing the doors. Although, I do have to say that the whole CHI-Creighton thing seems a little awkward.
jomfa
New to the Neighborhood

Post by jomfa »

if you have access to the numbers, go take a look at discharges and outpatient encounters from 2013-2015 by metro area facility.
Ben
Human Relations

Post by Ben »

I'm going to have to agree with the doc. My company does a LOT of business with CHI Health, and as a system, they've gotten back at least 60%, if not greater, of their business that was lost during the BCBS dispute. Certain docs may still be down, but system wide, they're doing just fine.

The Academic Med Center campus at Bergan is still moving along strong. I don't know where the info about a work stoppage is coming from, but they've got hundreds of construction workers both there and downtown at the new ED/Clinic site going every day. And CHI's credit rating, while not what it once was (or for that matter, what any healthcare provider's once was) is still well into the investment grade.... While CHI is always tight with capital funding (as they prefer to buy up systems like Alegent, rather than spend on facilities), its still readily available if justification is there.

As a consumer of healthcare in the Omaha area, CHI Health is still considered a top provider for routine care. Once the academic move to Bergan is complete, I can see them pulling lots of business from Nebraska Med for some of the more esoteric specialties, as the Bergan campus is a much more accessible, nicer campus, than the sprawling, tough to park, UNMC campus, and certainly will be more favorable than the current Creighton location...

Post by Guest »

I can't tell you much about how many patients came back after the BCBS-CHI dispute was resolved, but I can say that during the 4 years I worked for Tenet at Creighton, it was bad. When Alegent took over I had high(er) hopes. Shortly after I transferred to Bergan, CHI took over. It's been awful, equal to or worse than Tenet.
EastCB
Library Board

Post by EastCB »

My daughter-in-law, my ex-wife and a very good friend all work for CHI at different locations as RN's and none of them have any complaints.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

So far, my biggest complaint with CHI (I was originally a Creighton Patient), I can't even call my Dr's office anymore. I understand that I can't just pick up and call the Dr, but I can't even call that office. All the calls go to some stupid call center where the staff is completely incompetent... You know what sucks worse than calling a call center... NOTHING!
BRoss
IT Director

Post by BRoss »

A complaint I have is you can't pay your bill online. I tried last night and it said that after 2014 it is no longer supported and to call their office (which has normal office hours...ugh).

Why would they go backwards in this day and age? It makes the whole system look antiquated.