100 Block Broadway

Including Iowa metro counties.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

skinzfan23
City Council

Re: 100 Block Broadway

Post by skinzfan23 »

Coyote wrote:Wow, that is coming along nicely! I haven't been down that way in months, I may have to bite the bullet and get up early for a breakfast at Duncan's.
Haha. I saw your comment and was going to tell you again to go to Duncan's, but you beat me to it.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Not really the 100 block but a few blocks to the east:

Centris to build second credit union in Council Bluffs
The new branch will be located on East Broadway, including the site where the Pizza Counter is located. The credit union closed on purchase of that land on April 14, Helm said.
Plans call for the demolition of that structure, along with an adjacent vacant building, to construct a 3,000-square-foot building with a three-lane drive-through and drive-up ATM. The opening should occur early next year, Helm said. It should be a more convenient site for many members, Helm said.
Centris worked with Holland Basham Architects to design a branch that is responsive to member needs, efficient and pleasant for employees, and will complement the development efforts the Council Bluffs community has dedicated to this historic area of town, Helm said. Meyers Carlisle Leapley Construction Company has been retained as the general contractor for the project.
Construction schedule includes time for the Pizza Counter, which leases that space, to find a new location, she said.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Building looks great for that part of town.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Here is the latest picture the Nonpareil provided of the Sawyer building:
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Great looking building.
Joe_Sovereign
Library Board

Post by Joe_Sovereign »

The Ogden Hotel used to be on the 100 Block of Broadway to the west of where the new building is being built.

It was 112 years old and on the National Registry of Historic Places when it was torn down in the early 1980s.

The First Ogden House was destroyed by a fire in 1869
U R my Helix
Human Relations

Post by U R my Helix »

I meant to share this last week - interior photos of the Sawyer, they had a ribbon cutting, and interior photos at this link. http://www.seldin.com/blog/the-sawyer-b ... 100-block/
26 apartments, row homes,
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

This building turned out Really Nice!

Saturday Morning Photo Update:

skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Very, very nice photos. Great to see the finished product.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

skinzfan23 wrote:Very, very nice photos. Great to see the finished product.
Thanks. Hard to shoot a mid morning show with the building facing north this time of the year...
TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board

Post by TitosBuritoBarn »

I noticed on Google Maps that as they built this building, they tore down three single family homes and a town home complex on Vine Street to the north and replaced it with parking. The homes weren't much of a loss, but the town homes looked like they would be nice to rehab. I'm hoping the City is planning for the parking lot at 2nd and Broadway to be developed eventually, otherwise I feel like the urbanization effort here was kind of a wash.
"Video game violence is not a new problem. Who could forget in the wake of SimCity how children everywhere took up urban planning." - Stephen Colbert
Midwestern
Home Owners Association

Post by Midwestern »

I like the look of this building, it gives off more of a quality construction vibe than a lot of the urban area apartments around Omaha that have gone up in recent years.
Omaha_Gabe
Human Relations

Post by Omaha_Gabe »

They are tearing down the old buildings in between the church and new sawyer building today. 1/2 was gone when I drove by earlier
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Omaha_Gabe wrote:They are tearing down the old buildings in between the church and new sawyer building today. 1/2 was gone when I drove by earlier
Wow, any idea what might be going there? Please don't tell me surface parking.
mattl181
Home Owners Association

Post by mattl181 »

Omaha_Gabe wrote:They are tearing down the old buildings in between the church and new sawyer building today. 1/2 was gone when I drove by earlier
Oh dang, that is too bad. I thought they fit in well with the surrounding buildings and very easily could have been rehabbed. One step forward, one step back.
Omaha_Gabe
Human Relations

Post by Omaha_Gabe »

I cannot find the article, but I am sure i read somewhere that they could not be saved. They are to be torn down in order to have a developer come in and start with the land clear...... Don't quote me on that, but am pretty sure that was said somewhere..
EastCB
Library Board

Post by EastCB »

Omaha_Gabe wrote:I cannot find the article, but I am sure i read somewhere that they could not be saved. They are to be torn down in order to have a developer come in and start with the land clear...... Don't quote me on that, but am pretty sure that was said somewhere..
That is what I understand.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Vacant properties on 100 Block cleared for redevelopment
Once debris is removed, the land from First Street west to the Sawyer Building on the south side of West Broadway will be vacant.
The Pottawattamie County Development Corp., which owns the land, believes that will make it easier to market the property to developers, according to Bob Mundt, president of PCDC.
“We’re tearing that down and we’re going to try to market that as green space,” he said. “It’s just hard to imagine renovating those old buildings, and it’s easier to imagine putting a new building on a nice green space.”
He said PCDC will probably have the ground seeded down next spring.

The buildings, while old, did not match the style or vintage of most of the block, which is a Historic Commercial District listed on the National Register of Historic Places and the city’s oldest commercial area.
So far, the site has attracted interest but no buyers, Mundt said. He sees the location as a good place for another mixed-use facility such as the Sawyer Building.
Seth
Parks & Recreation

Post by Seth »

It sounds like there's a pretty strong likelihood of new construction like the Sawyer. That should be a pretty good result.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Aerial Photo Update:

Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Really? Wow! I guess I haven't driven past here in a few weeks!
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

A few blocks down the street....new Centris Federal Credit Union:
Omaha_Gabe
Human Relations

Post by Omaha_Gabe »

EastCB
Library Board

Post by EastCB »

New proposed 4 story building next to the Sawyer Building in Downtown CB. On the city council agenda May 9th.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

EastCB wrote:New proposed 4 story building next to the Sawyer Building in Downtown CB. On the city council agenda May 9th.
Wow, that could be huge if the building is done right. The old buildings that were there didn't fit their surroundings. Hopefully the new building will emulate the Sawyer building from Broadway's perspective.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Nice find East CB:

From the Nonpareil:
In another proposed housing project, the council also approved a memo of understanding for a four-story housing/commercial building in the 100 block of West Broadway. It’s to be built on the southeast corner where old, abandoned structures were demolished several months ago. The upper three floors will offer 24 market-rate apartments with 6,700-square-feet of commercial space on the main floor. Total investment is $5.7 million with the local firm of J Development is funding the project. Construction should start in the fall, pending approval of the final development agreement between the firm and the city.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Great to see:

New apartments planned for Bluffs 100 Block

The four-story building will be built on what is now vacant ground on the southeast corner of First Street and West Broadway, just east of the now-filled Sawyer Building.

“We see this as the last big piece of the 100 block,” said Ryan Stillman, asset manager for J Development, a partner in the project with the Pottawattamie County Development Corporation. “We are far along on the plans and hope to break ground in October and be complete in 12 months.”

Inside the all-glass exterior street level floor will be 6,700 square feet of retail space, while each of the upper three floors will offer eight one-bedroom, market-rate apartments. The top floor will be set back allowing for outdoor balconies. The second and third floors will have a brick exterior, while the top floor will feature a metal panel exterior. There will also be a surface parking lot for up to 50 vehicles.
TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board

Post by TitosBuritoBarn »

Very nice! Good to see good things happening on this block.
"Video game violence is not a new problem. Who could forget in the wake of SimCity how children everywhere took up urban planning." - Stephen Colbert
Athomsfere
Planning Board

Post by Athomsfere »

Very nice to see! Looks like CB is following in Omaha's footsteps a little and finally adding some needed density on the other side of the river :shock:
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

My only complaint with the project is that there is going to surface parking behind the building. It would have cool if they could have done something similar to the Sawyer Building and extend the residences up to Pierce St.
Omaha_Gabe
Human Relations

Post by Omaha_Gabe »

it appears this has begun. area had been fenced and ground dug up
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Sounds like they were intending to start construction last October, but glad to see this moving forward.
hawksfan87
New to the Neighborhood

Post by hawksfan87 »

Looks like from a sign out in front of the construction the owners of Cellar 19 will be opening some kind of restaurant in the new building under construction. Spring 2018 is the open date.
hawksfan87
New to the Neighborhood

Post by hawksfan87 »

Also appears to have a couple other creators. Sign reads "From The Creators of Caddys Riverside Grille, Cellar 19 and The Salty Dog. A new restaurant concept coming Spring 2018."
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

image.jpeg
image.jpeg (102.46 KiB) Viewed 4959 times
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

From the Nonpareil:
The 5,600-square-foot restaurant will include a large private dining area for social events, business meetings and other activities, Cadwallader said. The menu will feature popular drinks and foods from Caddy’s and Cellar 19, he added.

Patrons will be able to dine on steaks, seafood and pastas, as well as more casual fare such as hamburgers, Cadwallader said. He plans to close Caddy’s at the end of the year, bringing much of its menu to the new restaurant.

The restaurant should open in early March, he said.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Too bad he is closing Caddy's, but I am guessing its a tough location to run and staff year round.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »