Former Grace University Site

Downtown, Midtown, and all parts east of 72nd.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Ben
Human Relations

Former Grace University Site

Post by Ben »

Anyone know what construction they're doing down on campus?  They were issued a $4,000,000 building permit, which must mean some fairly serious construction / remodeling....
iamjacobm
City Council

Re: Grace University

Post by iamjacobm »

Grace is selling 3 plots of land. Two are pretty decent sized and have 10th Street frontage. Would be awesome for a developer to get in here and get more density along 10th.

http://x.lnimg.com/attachments/873569BC ... 4BC962.pdf
http://x.lnimg.com/attachments/2FF8687E ... 84A463.pdf
http://x.lnimg.com/attachments/D05B706D ... C660BA.pdf
daveoma
Parks & Recreation

Post by daveoma »

That's interesting, I thought they built that land for their future expansion. Perhaps they got offers from developers they couldn't refuse?
Original
Home Owners Association

Post by Original »

Attended Grace for a year almost two decades ago, know very little about the current situation other than the President recently resigned (and isn't apparently going to another university, as no position he is moving to was announced), and Grace kinda perpetually runs on a less-than-fully secure financial footing, and always has grand ambitions that seem to, since the 80s, end up not quite as original desired.

The first PDF linked is parking that has been owned/used by Grace for >15 years. The building in the middle was the KGBI studios when Grace owned KGBI. I don't know what is in there now.

The second PDF linked is the site of the 'old main', the original building on campus. It has been unused green space since the 80s or so.

Not sure what the third PDF is right now, Grace always wanted to buy the houses in between the old hospital side of campus (administration, some dorms and some classrooms) and the old main side (Cafeteria, chapel, some classrooms, some dorms) to link the two sides up, but never could buy all of them.

I'd guess they are currently in a financial crunch and need to raise cash, but this is based on no actual knowledge of the current situation.
Spatial77
Home Owners Association

Post by Spatial77 »

I wonder what Grace had planned for this parcel at Riverview Blvd and Bancroft? Purchased in 2011.
Attachments
GraceUniv_LQ.png
GraceUniv_LQ.png (213.92 KiB) Viewed 8979 times
"Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future." -- Niels Bohr
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

I had no idea they had that property. I wonder if someone donated that plot to them.
Spatial77
Home Owners Association

Post by Spatial77 »

Coyote wrote:I had no idea they had that property. I wonder if someone donated that plot to them.
The deed transfer states it was a sale transaction as recreational property. Grace also has the two lots on Fifth Street numbered 2712 and 2716. Purchased from Riverview Sports Association. I guess these are for intramural sports?
"Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future." -- Niels Bohr
hatwate
Library Board

Post by hatwate »

skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Will be exciting to hear proposals for that land in the coming years.
Otown88
New to the Neighborhood

Post by Otown88 »

Was talking to someone affiliated with Grace University tonight and it sounds like there in big financial trouble. The athletic director/basketball coach quit mid season to take the same position at a smaller school. One of the options they are throwing around would be to completely sell the whole campus and move out to the former Dana University in Blair. Didn't Midland drop there plans for the Blair campus because they said they wanted an Omaha campus? How nice would it be to have midland buy the campus and bring a couple thousand college students to the area, would definitely be a nice spark in the right direction.
PotatoeEatsFish
Human Relations

Post by PotatoeEatsFish »

Otown88 wrote:Was talking to someone affiliated with Grace University tonight and it sounds like there in big financial trouble. The athletic director/basketball coach quit mid season to take the same position at a smaller school. One of the options they are throwing around would be to completely sell the whole campus and move out to the former Dana University in Blair. Didn't Midland drop there plans for the Blair campus because they said they wanted an Omaha campus? How nice would it be to have midland buy the campus and bring a couple thousand college students to the area, would definitely be a nice spark in the right direction.
The cost to renovate most of the buildings at Dana would be a lot. Most of the dorm buildings are falling apart and the suite style housing had a water leak a few weeks ago.
#SaveTheUglyGrainSilos2024
Garrett
Planning Board

Post by Garrett »

Otown88 wrote:Was talking to someone affiliated with Grace University tonight and it sounds like there in big financial trouble. The athletic director/basketball coach quit mid season to take the same position at a smaller school. One of the options they are throwing around would be to completely sell the whole campus and move out to the former Dana University in Blair. Didn't Midland drop there plans for the Blair campus because they said they wanted an Omaha campus? How nice would it be to have midland buy the campus and bring a couple thousand college students to the area, would definitely be a nice spark in the right direction.
I wonder if Midland could essentially annex Grace and do what they did with Dana; offer the same scholarships and all that jazz. The area can realistically only support so many small Christian colleges, and like you said, it would be a great opportunity to build an Omaha campus.
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Garrett wrote:
I wonder if Midland could essentially annex Grace and do what they did with Dana; offer the same scholarships and all that jazz. The area can realistically only support so many small Christian colleges, and like you said, it would be a great opportunity to build an Omaha campus.
My ideal replacement would be an art and design college moving in. I was in Savannah and seeing the impact that Savannah College of Art and Design(or SCAD as they call it) has had on the city was impressive. And it isn't like some century old institution, it was founded in the late 70s.
Garrett
Planning Board

Post by Garrett »

iamjacobm wrote:
Garrett wrote:
My ideal replacement would be an art and design college moving in. I was in Savannah and seeing the impact that Savannah College of Art and Design(or SCAD as they call it) has had on the city was impressive. And it isn't like some century old institution, it was founded in the late 70s.
That could be pretty cool too actually. I have a few friends who are down there and they love it.
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
Fort Calhoun
New to the Neighborhood

Post by Fort Calhoun »

It is not surprising if Grace wants to sell their campus and relocate to the Dana campus. Grace has serious financial problems as enrollment dropped in recent years. President David Barnes resigned in April, the college listed lots for sale in May at a combined price of $2 million, and one month later the school announced they lost $1.1 million during the 2013-14 school year and $2.1 million the following year.

In June the school announced they would raise tuition 7%, reduce faculty and staff salaries by 10%, reduce financial aid to students and cut baseball and softball. That probably reduced enrollment even more.

The Dana campus might be a good solution to their problems. It is an attractive campus close to Omaha. Frank Krejci bought the campus for $3.5 million in 2013. Since that time he has paid $250,000 a year for utilities and maintenance. Campus buildings were severely damaged in in 2014 hailstorm, but new roofs and windows were being installed last summer. Recently a broken pipe flooded one of the apartment buildings.

Last summer Krejci said he is willing to donate the campus to the right developer with "the vision and ability to restore the campus." This might be a good solution for Grace if they could sell their Omaha campus for enough money to eliminate their debt and restore the Dana campus. The problem is that it is estimated that it will cost between $10-20 million to restore it.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

http://www.ketv.com/article/grace-unive ... ls/8633898

Entire campus sold to OPS. Interesting.
choke
Human Relations

Post by choke »

iamjacobm wrote:http://www.ketv.com/article/grace-unive ... ls/8633898

OPS? That is interesting.
NeonMartiniGlass
New to the Neighborhood

Post by NeonMartiniGlass »

iamjacobm wrote:http://www.ketv.com/article/grace-unive ... ls/8633898

Not the entire campus. They still own the dorms and the admin offices on 9th and William.
Man Melts the Sands so He Can See the World Outside
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

OPS board OKs $4.25 million purchase of Grace University land, buildings for new Little Italy school
The Omaha Public Schools board is buying a big chunk of land from Grace University to build a new elementary school in the Little Italy neighborhood.

The OPS board approved the $4.25 million purchase at Monday night’s board meeting.

OPS also has expressed interest in purchasing the old Sears building on Fort Crook Road in Bellevue for an elementary school.
Original
Home Owners Association

Post by Original »

Sounds like Grace is keeping the old Hospital building, but selling the rest of the campus, with a year lag to try to figure out what to do. The old hospital is administration, some classrooms, and some dorms. They could probably run a very reduced physical school and keep up their online/distance program for a year or two with that infrastructure.

But probably not. I'd not be surprised to see them merge with Nebraska Christian and have a 'downtown' presence for a while before selling that as well.

Sad to see it come to this.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

So has there been that much family growth in the area to need another elementary along with Bancroft, Castelar and Liberty? Liberty will obviously not close since its a new facility, but I wonder if they would rearrange the other two.
Uffda
County Board

Post by Uffda »

iamjacobm wrote:So has there been that much family growth in the area to need another elementary along with Bancroft, Castelar and Liberty? Liberty will obviously not close since its a new facility, but I wonder if they would rearrange the other two.
I am trying to figure out where these students are going to go to middle school as Marrs and Norris are already overcrowded.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Uffda wrote:
iamjacobm wrote:So has there been that much family growth in the area to need another elementary along with Bancroft, Castelar and Liberty? Liberty will obviously not close since its a new facility, but I wonder if they would rearrange the other two.
I am trying to figure out where these students are going to go to middle school as Marrs and Norris are already overcrowded.
Maybe they have their eye on a new middle school spot too? It seems like there is a huge doughnut in the DT/Midtown area.
Uffda
County Board

Post by Uffda »

iamjacobm wrote:
Uffda wrote:
Maybe they have their eye on a new middle school spot too? It seems like there is a huge doughnut in the DT/Midtown area.
I think the only thing mentioned about middle schools in the bond issue was renovations.
mahaboy
New to the Neighborhood

Post by mahaboy »

Just got a notification from KETV that Grace University is to move into former Dana College campus.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Grace University’s Next Chapter in Moving Forward
Grace University’s Next Chapter in Moving Forward
As some of you may be aware, Grace University has been in discussion with representatives of the owner of the property previously occupied by Dana College in Blair, Nebraska. The purpose of these discussions has been to explore the possibility of Grace University relocating its main campus operations to that property. I am very pleased to announce that Grace University has agreed to the terms in a Letter of Intent to relocate to the former Dana College site in Blair, Nebraska. Other organizations will be occupying owner developments adjacent to the campus on the 150-acre plot.

The projected timing of the relocation would occur during the summer of 2018 pending further negotiations with the property owner and securing any necessary approvals from the Higher Learning Commission or other regulatory entities.
While a Letter of Intent is not a legally binding contract, it is a significant step forward in laying the foundation for the development of a more detailed operating agreement. We anticipate having a mutually executed operating agreement by the end of the 2016-17 school year.

In 2018, Grace will be celebrating its 75th anniversary of serving students in higher education. This will be a time to not only honor the past but also to look forward to new beginnings that can include the campus relocation and the ability to serve even greater numbers of students. We will be looking at options to revise and or expand programs and service while continuing our mission to develop servant leaders for the home, the church and the world through excellence in biblically-integrated education and through life change in a personal, discipling environment, all for the glory of God.

With regard to ongoing real estate transactions that will precede a relocation, we still anticipate closing on the sale to the Omaha Public Schools – which includes all buildings and open space located between 8th and 10th Streets and Pine and Worthington Streets – in April, with Grace retaining full use of the property as it’s currently being used until May 31, 2018.

Additionally, the sale of our South Campus three-story building on Dorcas Street is still in progress and is expected to close in late May 2017. Also, our administrative building and dorm complex is on the market. We have had several showings and conversations with interested parties. I will share more developments as things progress.

As always, we remain committed to providing the best education possible to our current and future students. If you have additional questions, we will answer as we are able throughout the process. We continue to ask for your prayers of support and discernment.

Blessings,

William L. Bauhard
Chief Executive Officer
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

http://www.omaha.com/money/changes-ahea ... 224c5.html
» Omaha Public Schools has a contract to buy the most high-profile chunk that borders 10th Street and stretches eastward two blocks between Pine and Worthington Streets. OPS hopes to build an elementary school on the 3.4-acre site that would incorporate Grace’s gym and cafeteria structure.

» Bluestone Development has bought numerous parcels that form a horseshoe around the future school. Owner Christian Christensen plans to construct a variety of apartment buildings. He figures roughly 230 units could fit on the 4.5 acres broken up by a few existing houses and roads. Records show the property cost $2.6 million.

» Grace’s main administration and dorm building at 1311 S. Ninth St. are for sale and are envisioned as another roughly 120 or so market-rate apartments. The asking price is $3.5 million. Chad Hansen of CBRE/Mega Commercial Real Estate, who represents Grace, said interest is high on that former St. Catherine Hospital, which spans nearly 3 acres and contains about 142,000 square feet including the basement.

» Burlington Capital Real Estate is buying 819 Dorcas St., a 41,000-square-foot building a couple of blocks south of the main campus. Spokesman George Achola said an investment of more than $6 million would transform the structure into about 60 apartments for veterans. The place used to house mental health services, and is next to Victory Apartments, which opened for veterans in 2013.

» Also on the market are 3 acres of land near Sixth and Bancroft Streets, which were donated and at one time had been eyed for a Grace soccer field.
Omababe
Planning Board

Post by Omababe »

So? Is the move to Blair an "expansion" or a contraction for Grace?
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

I'd say it's a move accommodating future expansion. From what I understand, they will only be using a fraction of the buildings initially.
Shoot for the Moon... if you miss, you'll land among the stars.
nebraska
Library Board

Post by nebraska »

Garrett
Planning Board

Post by Garrett »

Urban Village looking to buy the Admin Building at 1311 S 9th St and redevelop into 167 efficiency studios and one-bedrooms.
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
Otown88
New to the Neighborhood

Post by Otown88 »

Looks like this building was sold and is all set to become apartments.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

U R my Helix
Human Relations

Post by U R my Helix »

After being quiet for a year this topic has news.
According to the Urban village website LINK and several posts on Craig's list, the first apartments came on line July 1st.
Now named The Dahlman Flats 1 bedrooms are being advertised at $945 to $1,495. Just look at the river view out the window!
Grace is back to life...

daveoma
Parks & Recreation

Post by daveoma »

That's a great view! 😲
ita
County Board

Post by ita »

I had a coworker mention this place as a potential new apartment. He was excited about being close to being downtown and it's amenities, but in a quiet neighborhood and new development. UV continues to do good things downtown. Also, that is a great view.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

I don't recall if we had the elementary school component in another thread, but here's some info and renderings on that project.

https://planning.cityofomaha.org/images ... May/12.pdf
U R my Helix
Human Relations

Post by U R my Helix »

iamjacobm wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2017 1:09 am http://www.omaha.com/money/changes-ahea ... 224c5.html
» Burlington Capital Real Estate is buying 819 Dorcas St., a 41,000-square-foot building a couple of blocks south of the main campus. Spokesman George Achola said an investment of more than $6 million would transform the structure into about 60 apartments for veterans. The place used to house mental health services, and is next to Victory Apartments, which opened for veterans in 2013.

» Also on the market are 3 acres of land near Sixth and Bancroft Streets, which were donated and at one time had been eyed for a Grace soccer field.
The 60 Unit veterans component called Victory Apartments is now open. It became Phase II to the existing 90 unit Victory Apartments. For a total of 150 units. Developers Developers announcement External Link

ita
County Board

Post by ita »

U R my Helix wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 10:02 am
iamjacobm wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2017 1:09 am http://www.omaha.com/money/changes-ahea ... 224c5.html

The 60 Unit veterans component called Victory Apartments is now open. It became Phase II to the existing 90 unit Victory Apartments. For a total of 150 units. Developers Developers announcement External Link

Nice catch, OWH just released an article about the opening as well:

'I have a home now': Victory Apartments adds 60 new units for low-income veterans in Omaha
The $8.2 million Victory II project was built in partnership with the Omaha Housing Authority and the Departments of Veterans Affairs and Housing and Urban Development. The building is adjacent to the 90-unit Victory Apartments in the former St. Joseph’s Hospital, which opened in 2013. Burlington Capital also manages a similar complex in Lincoln.

The new building includes community space, laundry facilities, and a gym and fitness center. It once housed some of Grace’s administrative offices. More recently, it was home to Salvation Army Mental Health Respite Care, which provided short-term residential treatment.

Project manager George Achola said the veterans range in age from about 30 to 70. For some, the subsidized housing will be transitional while they get back on their feet after dealing with substance abuse, physical injuries or mental health problems. Others may live there permanently.
ita
County Board

Post by ita »

iamjacobm wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 2:58 pm I don't recall if we had the elementary school component in another thread, but here's some info and renderings on that project.

https://planning.cityofomaha.org/images ... May/12.pdf
I think this is the most recent update on the project:

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=2794686854161932