News and releases from metro area businesses

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

nebugeater
City Council

HyVee Business News

Post by nebugeater »

The OWH did an interview with the HyVee CEO

Couple items to note.
HyVee is open to building a smaller store in the Downtown area much like they have being built in Des Moines. I read it as they are actively looking for the right fit.

There will be two more full size stores in the Omaha market in the near term

There is a new store opening in Urbandale that will be 100 % dedicated to the On line ordering program they have and will not be open to shoppers. I would take this as a sign that the delivery service is working

http://www.omaha.com/money/downtown-hy- ... 4c164.html

HyVee Thread Index...

Gretna HyVee - 192 & Highway 370
viewtopic.php?t=22450

Indian Creek HyVee - 204th & Maple
http://www.eomahaforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=15823

Stonybrook HyVee
http://www.eomahaforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=8657

50th and Center
http://www.eomahaforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=1718

180 & Pacific HyVee
http://www.eomahaforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=2667

36 & L HyVee
http://www.eomahaforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=11866

132 and Dodge HyVee
http://www.eomahaforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=9450

96th and Q HyVee
http://www.eomahaforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=11865

90th and Center HyVee
http://www.eomahaforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=16474

PeonyPark HyVee
http://www.eomahaforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=5579

108 & Fort HyVee
http://www.eomahaforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=9898

Broadway Council Bluffs HyVee
http://www.eomahaforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=4413

Madison Ave Council Bluffs HyVee
http://www.eomahaforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=1228

Plattsmouth Hy-Vee
http://www.eomahaforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=12509

Re: American Interstate Place - HyVee (SWC 156th & Maple)
viewtopic.php?t=4366
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
choke
Human Relations

Re: HyVee Growth Plans

Post by choke »

nebugeater wrote:The OWH did an interview with the HyVee CEO

Couple items to note.
HyVee is open to building a smaller store in the Downtown area much like they have being built in Des Moines. I read it as they are actively looking for the right fit.

There is a new store opening in Urbandale that will be 100 % dedicated to the On line ordering program they have and will not be open to shoppers. I would take this as a sign that the delivery service is working

It sounded like the CEO was so-so on a downtown Hy-Vee. Time will tell but I don't see it happening.
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

I like Patrick's and Wholner's but if you want a bigger grocer as long as we keep adding addresses downtown it's inevitable.
15-17, 26, 32
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

The story mentions two new stores in the western area of the metro. Without searching I believe there has been mention of Hy Vee owning land or planning for something near 204th and Maple. I have heard that they are looking at a location near 180th & 370 from a few different places.

Anyone have any other insight or guesses on where they might be looking to add locations.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

MTO wrote:I like Patrick's and Wholner's but if you want a bigger grocer as long as we keep adding addresses downtown it's inevitable.

Do I read that as it would not be a good thing if they came DT?
Ben
Human Relations

Post by Ben »

There's a fair amount of retail space being developed in the Capitol district buildings.... That might be a good spot for them.
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

nebugeater wrote:
MTO wrote:I like Patrick's and Wholner's but if you want a bigger grocer as long as we keep adding addresses downtown it's inevitable.

That it's a matter of time before big one opens up downtown.
15-17, 26, 32
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

MTO wrote:
nebugeater wrote:

That it's a matter of time before big one opens up downtown.
Of all the options IMO Hyvee would be a good get for the area as far as larger concept stores go.
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

I agree and maybe Tetrad is exactly the type of development that calls for one.
15-17, 26, 32
lmdramos
Library Board

Post by lmdramos »

Does anyone know why they still haven't renovated the 78th and Cass stores despite it being one of the most trafficked in Omaha and be slated for renovation like a year ago?
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

I actually think that delivery only location in Urbandale is really really interesting. Could be the future of the industry, don't need fancy cases and shelving, don't need staffers filling shelves, just filling orders and don't have produce going bad out of the cooler. Heck even the location could be in an industrial area away from a busy street to save on RE costs. Will be really fascinating to see how it works out.

If you are ever in DTO you can see the Hy-Vee delivery van every single day.
Professor Woland
Library Board

Post by Professor Woland »

I have no idea where they're thinking of going now, but I had heard they were looking at the parking lot across from Upstream next to La Buvette. It would probably have to be two stories if it were to go there. I like the idea of doing one in the first floor of a larger building like the Whole Foods in the Pearl District in Portland.
daveoma
Parks & Recreation

Post by daveoma »

I could see the grocery delivery service being very popular in DTO.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

daveoma wrote:I could see the grocery delivery service being very popular in DTO.
From what I think I heard from Hy-Vee, this service would be free for purchases over $100, with an alternative of curb side pick-up.
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

iamjacobm wrote:I actually think that delivery only location in Urbandale is really really interesting. Could be the future of the industry, don't need fancy cases and shelving, don't need staffers filling shelves, just filling orders and don't have produce going bad out of the cooler. Heck even the location could be in an industrial area away from a busy street to save on RE costs. Will be really fascinating to see how it works out.

If you are ever in DTO you can see the Hy-Vee delivery van every single day.
They said that in the 90s..
15-17, 26, 32
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Coyote wrote:
daveoma wrote:I could see the grocery delivery service being very popular in DTO.
From what I think I heard from Hy-Vee, this service would be free for purchases over $100, with an alternative of curb side pick-up.

Free delivery of store pickup for orders over $100

Under $100 and it is $4.95 for delivery or $2.95 for pick up.

I see the delivery vans all over in Gretna too and the store we go to at 180th and Q has more of the vans there that I would have ever expected.
choke
Human Relations

Post by choke »

Just remember, the CEO of Hy-Vee said the downtown Omaha area has been incredible in the way that it has grown. (But apparently not anything close to downtown DSM since Hy-Vee is currently building there and not here.) He also said, if the right opportunity happened to come along then Hy-Vee might consider building in downtown Omaha. That was a "might." A maybe. We will think about it if the right opportunity comes along. Omaha can't even get a slam dunk like HDR to build downtown.
daveoma
Parks & Recreation

Post by daveoma »

choke wrote:Just remember, the CEO of Hy-Vee said the downtown Omaha area has been incredible in the way that it has grown. (But apparently not anything close to downtown DSM since Hy-Vee is currently building there and not here.) He also said, if the right opportunity happened to come along then Hy-Vee might consider building in downtown Omaha. That was a "might." A maybe. We will think about it if the right opportunity comes along. Omaha can't even get a slam dunk like HDR to build downtown.
I wonder how much the Hy-Vee in downtown Des Moines was built due to bias. Hy-Vee is from Des Moines and I'm sure they lots of good press when they contribute to downtown redevelopment. I suspect any Hy-Vee built in downtown Omaha would be a more of a business decision add as opposed to a charitable one. Notice how he didn't anything about the success of the one in Des Moines.
BRoss
IT Director

Post by BRoss »

daveoma wrote:Notice how he didn't anything about the success of the one in Des Moines.
I don't think it's open yet.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

daveoma wrote:
choke wrote:Just remember, the CEO of Hy-Vee said the downtown Omaha area has been incredible in the way that it has grown. (But apparently not anything close to downtown DSM since Hy-Vee is currently building there and not here.) He also said, if the right opportunity happened to come along then Hy-Vee might consider building in downtown Omaha. That was a "might." A maybe. We will think about it if the right opportunity comes along. Omaha can't even get a slam dunk like HDR to build downtown.
I wonder how much the Hy-Vee in downtown Des Moines was built due to bias. Hy-Vee is from Des Moines and I'm sure they lots of good press when they contribute to downtown redevelopment. I suspect any Hy-Vee built in downtown Omaha would be a more of a business decision add as opposed to a charitable one. Notice how he didn't anything about the success of the one in Des Moines.
I agree daveoma.. Des Moines is the #2 Hy Vee Market ahead of the larger #3 Hy Vee market- Omaha. Hy Vee is a home town Des Moines company just like Younkers was.. They'll have more of a core presence there simply because it's "home"...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
choke
Human Relations

Post by choke »

daveoma wrote:
I can agree with that assessment. Omaha really doesn't have a grocery store to hang its hat on. They come and they go. No more Albertson's, Hinky Dinky or Safeway.
choke
Human Relations

Post by choke »

Omaha Cowboy wrote:
daveoma wrote:
I agree daveoma.. Des Moines is the #2 Hy Vee Market ahead of the larger #3 Hy Vee market- Omaha. Hy Vee is a home town Des Moines company just like Younkers was.. They'll have more of a core presence there simply because it's "home"...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Although, I think a Hy-Vee would be perfect just east of the Old Market, next to Embassy suites. Multiple hotels within walking distance and central to apartments and condos. If ConAgra wants to leave then get going so some of that land can get freed up.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

choke wrote:Although, I think a Hy-Vee would be perfect just east of the Old Market, next to Embassy suites. Multiple hotels within walking distance and central to apartments and condos. If ConAgra wants to leave then get going so some of that land can get freed up.
I think that's a great and workable idea. I just wouldn't hold my breath on Hy-Vee being the one to pull the trigger on a downtown Omaha location anytime soon..

Unfortunately...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
SouthOmahansolo
New to the Neighborhood

Post by SouthOmahansolo »

Downtown is definitely starved of full-feature grocery stores. I've thought about living down there a couple of times, but the fact that you pretty much have to drive back out of downtown for a few things, might as well live next to those places.

I lived in Vancouver BC Canada for a while, and what would be interesting is if Hy Vee introduced vertical store buildings to our area to pull off a downtown location. Since land is at a super premium up there, most of their stores are layered on top of each other. For example, one building has a Save On grocery store (rough equivalent to our Baker's), then above that is a Home Depot, then above that is a clothing store, then above that is apartments. One grocery store has shopping-cart escalators that let you go between it's floors, etc.

It's a cool concept and makes sense, but we don't have much of that type of space usage here because we still have tons of undeveloped land. But it would be really cool downtown and let more businesses squeeze into the same spot.
RockHarbor
Planning Board

Post by RockHarbor »

Couple items to note.

Cool! I love the idea of a more urban Hy-Vee. And, yes, their delivery service is awesome, I hear. They are very reasonable, I hear.
I can get pushed out because I'm "too much" for some. Then, an observer of me comes suddenly swooping in to "fill my shoes." People are always more accepting of the new one, because their feathers aren't truly ruffled by them. (Yawn) I can count on it every time.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

I have heard that the new Hy-Vee at 204th and Maple will be finished by 2017.
debradomayer
Library Board

Post by debradomayer »

If that's true, then they should be making improvements & moving dirt pretty soon. Usually takes about a year from beginning to opening. That area could use another grocery store
Louie
County Board

Post by Louie »

Coyote wrote:I have heard that the new Hy-Vee at 204th and Maple will be finished by 2017.
I was told that that was going to get pushed back and all of the current stores woukd be getting facelifts and/or market grilles.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Louie wrote:
Coyote wrote:I have heard that the new Hy-Vee at 204th and Maple will be finished by 2017.
I was told that that was going to get pushed back and all of the current stores woukd be getting facelifts and/or market grilles.
How long ago did you hear that?
choke
Human Relations

Post by choke »

RockHarbor wrote:

Couple items to note.

Cool! I love the idea of a more urban Hy-Vee. And, yes, their delivery service is awesome, I hear. They are very reasonable, I hear.
I would like to see Baker's downtown. That is about as close to an "Omaha" grocery store as you can get. I know it's owned by Kroger/Dillons now but the name is still Omaha based.
Louie
County Board

Post by Louie »

Coyote wrote:
Louie wrote:
How long ago did you hear that?
2 weeks ago from the current Maple St HyVee
choke
Human Relations

Post by choke »

Louie wrote:

I heard they were turning their dining to a more upscale atmosphere. My mom told me that 132nd and Dodge was denied a liquor license for their restaurant renovation until they show a meaningful effort to rectify the loud air conditioning issue that the neighbors behind the building have been complaining about.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

choke wrote:
Louie wrote:

I heard they were turning their dining to a more upscale atmosphere. My mom told me that 132nd and Dodge was denied a liquor license for their restaurant renovation until they show a meaningful effort to rectify the loud air conditioning issue that the neighbors behind the building have been complaining about.

Their "upscale" dining has rolled out in a number of new and remodeled stores over the last 1 1/2 years or so.

The one I have seen is the N27th street store in Lincoln

https://www.hy-veemarketgrille.com/
choke
Human Relations

Post by choke »

nebugeater wrote:
choke wrote:
Louie wrote:

Their "upscale" dining has rolled out in a number of new and remodeled stores over the last 1 1/2 years or so.

Thanks for the tip. I like how Lincoln and Sioux Falls get new concepts before Omaha. Somehow we are always behind.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

choke wrote:
nebugeater wrote:
choke wrote:
Louie wrote:

Thanks for the tip. I like how Lincoln and Sioux Falls get new concepts before Omaha. Somehow we are always behind.
96th and Q already has the new concept.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

iamjacobm wrote:
choke wrote:
nebugeater wrote:
choke wrote:
Louie wrote:

As does the store in Plattsmouth. If I remeber correctly it was of the first to go this route.

I am sure it has a lot to do with the age of stores and where they are in the cycle for a remodel. The 27th street location underwent a major remodel when this was added / changed
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Bingo. I'd wager that is why 35th and L closed. B/c it was due for an upgrade, but the demographics and/or physical building didn't match their new model standards so it got canned.
choke
Human Relations

Post by choke »

iamjacobm wrote:
choke wrote:
nebugeater wrote:
choke wrote:
Louie wrote:

I don't remember the last time I step foot in Applewood. I'll have to check it out.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

IIRC, Plattsmouth got the first Market Grille as a new build. Applewood was their first area renovation into this. Someone can correct me though, but Applewood has had the most major renovations in town.
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

Coyote wrote:IIRC, Plattsmouth got the first Market Grille as a new build. Applewood was their first area renovation into this. Someone can correct me though, but Applewood has had the most major renovations in town.
I believe you are correct, coyote.