North 24th St Historic District

Downtown, Midtown, and all parts east of 72nd.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Coyote
City Council

North 24th St Historic District

Post by Coyote »

North 24th and Lake historic district nomination entered into National Register of Historic Places

City Council President Ben Gray announced Tuesday that the North 24th and Lake streets Historic District has been entered in the National Register of Historic Places.
iamjacobm
City Council

Re: North 24th St Historic District

Post by iamjacobm »

I haven't seen any renderings, but Min|Day has been holding some neighborhood input sessions on potential artist lofts just east of the intersection here. They do pretty creative work so it will be interesting to see what they come up with.
daveoma
Parks & Recreation

Post by daveoma »

I'm glad to see they got this designation. This is an important part of Omaha and its history that should be recognized. :D
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

http://mapacog.org/wp-content/uploads/2 ... 9-0116.pdf
The Metropolitan Area Planning Agency (MAPA), on behalf of the City of Omaha and Planning
Department (City) is soliciting consulting proposals for professional services to examine the 24th Street
corridor North of downtown Omaha in order to attract more residents and businesses to this area by
analyzing the Housing Market and further exploring multimodal transportation options.
daveoma
Parks & Recreation

Post by daveoma »

I hope that there is more development in this area. I hope that gradual development north of Creighton University will someday come to fruition.
ita
County Board

Post by ita »

I know this project is located just north of the designated district, but Heart Ministry Center, which supposedly has the largest food pantry in Nebraska is completing a new building and expanding their services. It's a nice little project for the area.

https://morningsky.com/omaha/posts/hear ... ty-for-all
SaveOmaha
Home Owners Association

Post by SaveOmaha »

I drove by the old streetcar barn on 26th and Lake today, and noticed that more than half of the building had been demolished. Was there any notice from the city on this? Not sure if part of the building will be preserved, but it's not looking good for this structure. It's a contributing member of the North 24th & Lake Sts. Historic District.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

SaveOmaha wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 4:42 pm I drove by the old streetcar barn on 26th and Lake today, and noticed that more than half of the building had been demolished. Was there any notice from the city on this? Not sure if part of the building will be preserved, but it's not looking good for this structure. It's a contributing member of the North 24th & Lake Sts. Historic District.
I heard nothing about this, I thought they were fighting to preserve it.
SaveOmaha
Home Owners Association

Post by SaveOmaha »

Coyote wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 5:44 pm
SaveOmaha wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 4:42 pm I drove by the old streetcar barn on 26th and Lake today, and noticed that more than half of the building had been demolished. Was there any notice from the city on this? Not sure if part of the building will be preserved, but it's not looking good for this structure. It's a contributing member of the North 24th & Lake Sts. Historic District.
There were at least two parties that were interested, but nothing came to fruition. North Omaha already has a vulnerable building stock. Lost opportunity to help revitalize the neighborhood. It surely could've been mothballed until the right party came along.
ita
County Board

Post by ita »

SaveOmaha wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2019 12:08 am
Coyote wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 5:44 pm
There were at least two parties that were interested, but nothing came to fruition. North Omaha already has a vulnerable building stock. Lost opportunity to help revitalize the neighborhood. It surely could've been mothballed until the right party came along.
I agree with this sentiment. Is the City still using it to garage maintenance/service vehicles?
Mapguy
Home Owners Association

Post by Mapguy »

This is a bit off topic since im not familiar with this historic district.

Where do people go to find properties to invest in in Omaha? Is there a land bank or neighborhood organizations that promote building rehab for neighborhood pioneers?

I had a great experience working with mainstreet Iowa on a property in southern Iowa. Purchased a small 2 story downtown building for 24k and poured about 200k into it.

Id love to attempt a similar project again with the right neighborhood and property.
ita
County Board

Post by ita »

Mapguy wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2019 2:40 pm This is a bit off topic since im not familiar with this historic district.

Where do people go to find properties to invest in in Omaha? Is there a land bank or neighborhood organizations that promote building rehab for neighborhood pioneers?

I had a great experience working with mainstreet Iowa on a property in southern Iowa. Purchased a small 2 story downtown building for 24k and poured about 200k into it.

Id love to attempt a similar project again with the right neighborhood and property.
Check out Omaha Municipal Land Bank. They have a growing inventory of both rehab-able buildings and prepped lots for new construction. Their primary focus are properties in North O. Many lots are advertised for $5,000, while many homes are posted between $20-40,000. You do need to prove financing and a plan to redevelop.
ita
County Board

Post by ita »

I drove by this site. There were a couple excavators taking the building down. The facade is still up on the east side, but most everything else is gone.
ita
County Board

Post by ita »

WOWT had a somewhat ambiguous article about this area from Cuming to Lake St. on 24th Street as a business improvement district; ambiguous as to whether that area is a BID now. I am still learning how these are created and implemented, but based on a quote from Ben Gray, the BID is in place and that improvements will start in the area as soon as the beginning of 2020. It will be joining Dundee, Benson, Blackstone as having this designation.

https://www.wowt.com/content/news/North ... 61391.html
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

[youtube]
[/youtube]
daveoma
Parks & Recreation

Post by daveoma »

I think the tax is a great idea. That'll allow the area to make improvements that will invest in itself. That's a great idea.
BIGO88
Home Owners Association

Post by BIGO88 »

Construction company is putting $2 mil into the building on the corner of Ames and Florence Blvd and is moving there company there.

https://www.wowt.com/content/news/Revit ... 74001.html
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

New chapter awaits for historic 24th and Lake corner of North Omaha

She said the corner could be part of an arts district that a previous study had recommended for a nearby area, maybe with a theater.
ita
County Board

Post by ita »

Susie Buffett-linked real estate company has quietly acquired $4 million in North Omaha property

I thought this was an interesting article about property acquisition RH Management. I did not want to outline what properties and area the journalist reported on, so I just looked at the county GIS. Here is a printout of the multiple parcels of land that have been purchased. Lots of vacant land near 24th and Lake. I am looking forward to see what will be developed here, with community input of course.

Omahacritic
Human Relations

Post by Omahacritic »

That’s a lot of property.

Were I a resident, I’d be wary.
ita
County Board

Post by ita »

New Black-owned financial center aims to build wealth, promote homeownership in North Omaha
A group of Black entrepreneurs is launching an innovative new enterprise at 24th and Lake Streets aimed at helping African Americans in North Omaha and throughout the city build wealth through owning businesses and homes.

The new Carver Legacy Center will be located in the historic Carver Savings and Loan Building at 2414 Lake St., where the first Black-owned financial institution in Omaha opened in the 1940s. The center will offer a range of services designed to increase access to credit and capital for African Americans and North Omaha residents.

A key innovation: The center will partner with American National Bank, which will offer accounts whose deposits will be used to help make loans
In addition to the financial institution with accounts and loans, the Carver Legacy Center will house three other efforts.

The Hub will be the new home of the Barneys’ Revive Omaha Magazine and Revive Black Business Network. They, along with the Williamses’ Barak II and Black-owned firms Hayes and Associates and Technology Consulting Solutions, will help businesses launch and grow, including by connecting them to financing, technology, marketing and procurement opportunities.
The Incubator, in a connected retail space that formerly housed Big Mama’s Sandwich Shop, will offer pop-up space where African American food entrepreneurs and other small businesses can introduce their products to the community. It will focus on products made by African Americans and North Omaha residents.
The Legacy Wealth Center will have workshops and events on business and home ownership and financial empowerment.
ita
County Board

Post by ita »

City of Omaha ends lease on Love's Jazz & Arts Center, leaving nonprofit 'shocked'
The City of Omaha is cutting ties with the nonprofit corporation that has run Love’s Jazz & Arts Center in North Omaha for 15 years and starting over with a new plan.

The nonprofit group’s lease on the city-owned buildings that house the center at 24th and Lake Streets has expired, and the city will not renew it, the Mayor’s Office said Thursday. Instead, the city will enter an agreement with the North 24th Street Business Improvement District to manage the property and “reactivate the jazz museum,” according to a press release from Mayor Jean Stothert’s office.

“The decision not to renew the lease follows unsuccessful steps proposed by the city to ensure Love’s Jazz could continue to lease the property, and recent violations of the lease agreement,” the press release said.
The article further outlines that the City alleges that the building was no longer being used as a cultural arts and museum. Further, there was additional disputes concerning sharing the building with the North 24th Street Business Improvement District board. The non-profit did not want to share divvy up the building because it had been renovated specifically for art and education space.
ita
County Board

Post by ita »

The North 24th Street BID is in full swing. They are working an a master streetscape plan with Confluence, a landscape/urban planning architectural firm. Confluence set up this website (NORTH 24TH ST. STREETSCAPE MASTER PLAN) where they have a recording of a recent meeting with community members presenting some ideas for the BID. The presentation is about an hour long. They are taking comments through this website: https://confluence.mysocialpinpoint.com ... /tab/about. It utilizes an interactive map.
ita
County Board

Post by ita »

North Omaha building goes under renovation
There is work going on to save an old building in North Omaha right now. A building that once housed a bakery and a club for veterans, became a part of North 24th Streets’ entertainment and social scene.

The pile of broken bricks are actually pieces of Omaha history. They are part of a building near North 24th and Miami that is currently under renovation.
Right now, the building is in pretty bad shape but Swan has plans to put $2-$3 million into the restoration of this historic building.
The address for this building is 2701 N 24th St.
ita
County Board

Post by ita »

This is from the Millwork Commons website, but this is specifically about North Omaha. I think it is relevant to the North 24th St. more than Millwork, but some interesting and sad facts about North Omaha and a path to prevent gentrification of this historic area of the city (BusGuy, your concerns of gentrification in North Omaha is justified per these statistics):

Inclusive Entrepreneurship Ecosystem Building in North Omaha
Over the past decade, I have spent time discussing the economic development potential of entrepreneurship ecosystem building over 24 states to over 25,000 individuals and in countless articles, blog posts, and tweets. More importantly, I am a lifelong resident of North Omaha. As a Generation Xer, I have seen political leaders and community leaders come and go and dramatic transformations in the city as it spread first out west and then downtown and then along the riverfront. The one thing that has been consistent during my life here is the lack of quality economic development in this area of the city. We must do something different from what we have done to get a better, more equitable result in the future. I suggest we focus on inclusive entrepreneurship ecosystem building.

It’s no secret that North Omaha has historically been underinvested in. The population of North Omaha is majority Black and has a significantly lower household income than the city average. Most people may not realize that North Omaha, which for this article’s purpose is defined as zip codes 68110, 68111, and 68104, has lost over 3,500 residents and 16% of its Black population from 2000 to 2017. Many of the individuals who have left North Omaha have left the state. During this same period, the population of the City of Omaha grew by approximately 15%. This decline in North Omaha population is despite the massive economic growth in what is now called North Downtown. North Downtown is adjacent to the southern side of North Omaha. As hotels now abound to the immediate south, and the riverfront has been redeveloped to the adjacent southeast, North Omaha continues to languish and is on the precipice of gentrification.

Omaha is known as a big-box developer town. Check the attention and press releases that showcase the “big company X” that came and “brought in X many jobs” and “X amount of capital investment.” Large corporations and big businesses drive Omaha’s economic development. For the city as a whole, this strategy has worked. We routinely see Omaha celebrated in national top ten lists. This begs this question then:

How can a city that does such a great job of attracting and retaining large corporations and seemingly ranks high enough to get the attention of these economic and quality of life top ten lists do such a terrible job in developing North Omaha?

There is no single answer to the economic development failure of North Omaha. There are issues of race, class, entrenched economic development philosophies, power imbalances, and social and cultural orientations that can inhibit growth all at play. There are also no single solutions to this challenge. However, I believe that inclusive entrepreneurship ecosystem building can play a catalytic role in spurring transformative growth in North Omaha and creating more systemic positive change.
Busguy2010
County Board

Post by Busguy2010 »

I hope this continues for a few years so that when I have enough saved up to buy or build my house, that land or home prices will be lower. But I fear this will also make it easier for developers to flip properties and build new ones and there will be more incentive for the city to bow down to them.
daveoma
Parks & Recreation

Post by daveoma »

This is fascinating, and I agree with the author that this is something that should be discussed and analyzed. I love the idea of fostering entrepreneurship. Maybe one of the local banks can help? Fnbo?
PWL73316
Library Board

Post by PWL73316 »

The City government, led by Stothert obviously, systematically underinvests in North Omaha, as they have done for decades, and thinks it's a good thing if "those people" are leaving. They would see that graph and say, "So what's the problem?"

Gentrification, aka redevelopment, is moving north. It's a good thing for property owners and most healthy businesses, it's a bad thing for renters and marginal businesses who will eventually see rent and other cost increases.

While the Black population of North Omaha is declining, and doubtless some of those losses are people who move out of state, the Black population of Omaha is still increasing. Omaha is very, very slowly integrating, and more Black people are getting out of an area with high incidence of social problems and in which the City isn't interested in improving. Since we can't do anything at present to change the City's position, it's a good thing that more Black people are able to live elsewhere in Omaha, where the City is investing and property is appreciating.
Uffda
County Board

Post by Uffda »

I have watched a few episodes of a show on HGTV called Bargain Block and it reminds me of North O area. The 2 guys in the show have been rehabbing houses in a poorer neighborhood of Detroit and some of these are falling down, burned out, rotting pieces of sh#t. Some of their style is kind of out there but They turn them into starter homes so it doesn’t price people out of the neighborhood.

https://www.hgtv.com/shows/bargain-block
We are the people our parents warned us about.

Jimmy Buffett
ita
County Board

Post by ita »

Demolition imminent for vacant buildings at 24th and Lake in North Omaha
The vacant shell of a former business incubator and long-ago supermarket in the historic heart of North Omaha is about to be torn down.

Demolition of the former Omaha Business and Technology buildings at 2505 N. 24th St. could begin in mid-July, said Maranda Adams, vice president and co-owner of Blair Freeman, the construction and real estate company handling the demolition.

No specific proposal has emerged for redevelopment at the site, which forms the northeast corner of 24th and Lake Streets and is seen as a key component of current efforts to revitalize North 24th Street. The buildings and parking lot on the corner are owned by Seventy Five North Revitalization Corp.

The nonprofit developer, which is doing the Highlander redevelopment along North 30th Street, bought the 24th and Lake property for $1.45 million from Omaha Small Business Network Inc. in 2019. The sale price provided the struggling network with enough money to pay back the City of Omaha for federal grants that the city had spent on redeveloping the grocery store into a business incubator.
ita
County Board

Post by ita »

September 2nd, 2021 | North 24th Street Redevelopment Public Meeting

There are several projects highlighted in the presentation, taking up the first hour. There are some interesting things happening. A good mix of senior housing, market and affordable, and commercial and retail. It will be interesting to see how these pan out. Also, RH Land, the entity associated with Susie Buffett's foundation, did not have a representative, but is looking for potential land users.
U R my Helix
Human Relations

Post by U R my Helix »

A lot of good information here about the North 24th Street Redevelopment Plan. Thanks for sharing the video link.
The multi-family component includes:
40 Proposed units “Moriah Manor”, senior housing, at 2602 N 24th St.
30 proposed units “Moriah Centre”, 2238 Ohio.
# Undefined in a mixed-use building at 2505 Ohio.
22 Duplex units (10-11 buildings) Miami to Maple at N 22 street, senior housing.
About a dozen single family homes are identified as well.

ita
County Board

Post by ita »

U R my Helix wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 11:37 am A lot of good information here about the North 24th Street Redevelopment Plan. Thanks for sharing the video link.
The multi-family component includes:
40 Proposed units “Moriah Manor”, senior housing, at 2602 N 24th St.
30 proposed units “Moriah Centre”, 2238 Ohio.
# Undefined in a mixed-use building at 2505 Ohio.
22 Duplex units (10-11 buildings) Miami to Maple at N 22 street, senior housing.
About a dozen single family homes are identified as well.

Thanks for summarizing the residential projects presented in the presentation. Just FYI, people Juanita Johnson is holding public meetings regarding the North 24th St. BID. The second of two meetings is on Saturday.

Omaha councilmember has public meeting on improving 24th Street Business District

Also, here is the powerpoint from the presentation:

https://planninghcd.cityofomaha.org/ima ... Plan_3.pdf
ita
County Board

Post by ita »

EXCLUSIVE - 24th & Lake redevelopment: Businesswoman has big plans for heart of north Omaha
John Chapman
After years of rumors and speculation, we finally know what will be constructed here on the corner of 24th and Lake streets.

About six years ago when Carmen Tapio cut the ribbon on North End Teleservices, she has a vision for the company’s future growth. That vision has become reality, and the company is moving into the heart of north Omaha.

“We are beginning a development that will not only house a new corporate office for us but will also provide housing and daycare and food service and a place for the community to convene and other businesses to operate. It is a development that is so needed in our community, and I think it’s probably the biggest development in north Omaha in decades,” Tapio said.

She’s opened an office across the street from where she will build a $40 million mixed-use development that will be the new home to her growing company and help a challenged community in need of housing and daycare.
Kuhn is the owner’s representative. She will oversee the multi-million dollar project that will include multiple buildings and a scene of the area’s history by rebuilding along the area’s original streetscape.

“It’s mixed-use, there will be multiple buildings because we’re going to have housing and then we’ll have office space and on the hard corner will be one large building. I think Carmen and I envisioned returning the original streetscape to North 24th and Lake St.,” Kuhn said.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Efforts underway to revitalize North 24th St

KMTV 3 News Now

Efforts underway to revitalize North 24th St
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Community revitalization along North 24th Street corridor through the eyes of business owners

Don McPherson and his wife run Styles of Evolution, a clothing store along N 24th St. "Did many years with large companies," McPherson said. "Decided I wanted to come back home and apply my skills here, so I did." They've been in the area for 16 years and say they've seen a lot of change in the neighborhood during that time. Other businesses they once knew are no longer standing.

"We were the last business standing on this block," McPherson said. Now, there are efforts to revitalize the area through renovations, allowing for new businesses like the Carver Legacy Bank as well as community amenities geared towards the arts.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Entrepreneurs are bringing new life to old North Omaha business buildings

Omaha World-Herald

CharDale Barnes, co-founder of Stable Gray, talks about the importance of bringing new businesses and growth to historic North 24th Street in North Omaha.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Entrepreneurs bringing new life to old business buildings on historic North 24th Street

A newly renovated building at 24th and Lake Streets was the right space in the right place at the right time for entrepreneurs Theardis “Teddy” Young and CharDale Barnes to keep growing their own business while helping other small businesses and North Omaha grow, too. Young and Barnes recently moved the main office of their marketing, branding and web services firm, Stable Gray, into a retail storefront space at 2520 N. 24th St. It’s part of Fabric, an urban development of five commercial spaces and three apartments on the west side of 24th Street just north of Lake. Stable Gray’s move brings another local, Black-owned, for-profit business to the historic North 24th Street business district, which is undergoing a revitalization.

“It’s exciting to be a part of that,” Young said amid a hubbub of happy conversation among about 50 people during Stable Gray’s opening festivities last week. “Just with the energy that’s happening down here, and the synergy. There’s so many organizations and businesses that are working hard to get 24th Street back to where it used to be. It’s happening. We’re just a part of that.”

ita
County Board

Post by ita »

This project lies several blocks north of the district, but looks like a nice redux for this building at 3819 N 24th Street. 3 residences on the 2nd floor with commercial space on the ground floor.

https://planning.cityofomaha.org/images ... TIFApp.pdf
ita
County Board

Post by ita »

Omaha’s North 24th Street Corridor growing
Now the company has plans to grow.

North End Teleservices has provided jobs for a community that has seen double-digit unemployment for years.

The company has the help wanted signs out. Chief Operating Officer Chris Phillips says they want to create jobs and change lives.

“We just hired upwards of 100 people over the past month and continued to expand as we close out the year,” Phillips said.

Not only is North End Teleservices looking to grow its employee list, but it’s also expanding its business footprint in the community

A lot on 24th and Lake will be home to their new corporate office.

“As we close out the end of 2022, we’ll start to move towards our pre-construction phase and start breaking ground, but that will happen at the end of this year towards the beginning of next year.”