Loveland Centre (90th and Center)

West Omaha, Sarpy and Nebraska metro counties.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Coyote
City Council

Re: Loveland Centre (90th and Center)

Post by Coyote »

I went Sunday a couple hours after you told me about the tap. There were about 5 tables full, but I waited to take pics when I could without getting the evil eye. :sly:
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Brad wrote:I was shocked when I walked in the door and saw Infusion and NBC on tap! It was only noon on a Sunday, but I had a Radial IPA just because I could!
Way off topic, but I was in College Station about a month ago and I saw NBC's EOS at a bar down there. They were selling it for $8 a pint, just told myself I could get it half that price at home.
Ben
Human Relations

Post by Ben »

Fairway is getting close. Cooler cases are in, they've taken the construction door off and replaced it with an automatic slider.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Ben wrote:Fairway is getting close. Cooler cases are in, they've taken the construction door off and replaced it with an automatic slider.
Tack Architects posted photos last week:
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... 906&type=3
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

From the TACKarchitects FB Page:
TACKarchitects wrote:Something BIG is coming to our Fareway meat market 90th & Center.
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

Fareway Meat Market opens May 26.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

That giant chrome bull is hanging above the registers, it looks cool!
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

A few pictures from the World Herald:

Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Stooped in the new Fairway Meat Market last night about 6pm and the place was packed! Beautiful store too!
HskrFanMike
Parks & Recreation

Post by HskrFanMike »

Brad wrote:Stooped in the new Fairway Meat Market last night about 6pm and the place was packed! Beautiful store too!
As well it should be. Fairway is famous for their meat department, and hopefully this is a huge (yuuuuge?) success, because I'd love to see them open up more around town. I'd rather not have to drive 20 minutes to get to a Fairway.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Looks like a large section of the stucco along the roof line has pulled away and is hanging over the sidewalk. They have about 4 or 5 stalls north of the bookworm caution tape off where this section is going to fall. It's not like a little chip or two comeing off, the entire section of stucco the whole 40 or 50 feet is hanging.
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

I finally stopped in to the Fareway store at Loveland Centre yesterday, fully three months after the store opened. I had my $10 gift card that was mass mailed to the neighborhood in my pocket, itching to be used.
I was very impressed by the store. By the prices as well as the product mix. I found several items priced less than traditional grocery stores, and they were not "sale" priced. There is a large mix of beef items, but also poultry, pork, and a decent though not overwhelming seafood selection. They even had fresh grouper.
The beer and wine selection was surprisingly large for such a compact store. The cheese island also had a good selection, at fair prices. Frozen sausage and seafood is also sold in abundance.
Bottom line, if you are planning an evening cookout, they have everything you could possibly need, from appetizers to side dishes, salads and the main courses. Even plates, silverware and cups.
Ironically, I was so happy to shop there that I forgot to use my gift card!
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Finally got into the Fareway. Wildly impressed and actually the prices seemed pretty reasonable, I was expecting to pay a premium for such a specialized store. Looked across the board cheaper than Hy-Vee's meat case.
Ben
Human Relations

Post by Ben »

A surveyor was on the empty lot owned by Slosburg on the NW corner of the intersection earlier today. I wonder if something is in the works? Not real high hopes, given that their space across the street is barely half full, but hopeful we'll see something sooner rather than later.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Ben wrote:A surveyor was on the empty lot owned by Slosburg on the NW corner of the intersection earlier today. I wonder if something is in the works? Not real high hopes, given that their space across the street is barely half full, but hopeful we'll see something sooner rather than later.
Thanks for the update. Hopefully something pops up there sooner than later.

Not to burst anyone's bubble, but surveyors don't always mean new construction. A lot of banks require surveys when owners re-finance or when someone buys a property. They could be doing an As-Built survey for the new shopping center across the street, or even re-pinning the lot if one of the property corners was disturbed during construction. They need to measure off of other corners to make sure they are in the right spot.

Also, I think the Center Street bridge over the papio around 92nd is going to be re-built soon as well.
RockHarbor
Planning Board

Post by RockHarbor »

Funny, I just met a lady today who lives near 90th & Center, and I brought up that seemingly forever empty lot on the NW corner. She said she thinks the owner is asking too much money for it. I wonder. What is the deal? (With that new "Loveland Center", it really has become much more of a lovely corner, I must say. I adore that plaza.)
Last edited by RockHarbor on Thu Feb 02, 2017 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I can get pushed out because I'm "too much" for some. Then, an observer of me comes suddenly swooping in to "fill my shoes." People are always more accepting of the new one, because their feathers aren't truly ruffled by them. (Yawn) I can count on it every time.
Taco
Human Relations

Post by Taco »

Construction on NW corner is being held up by developer Slosburg. After tearing down the mini golf course and batting cage, an unexpected sinkhole developed (can be seen in SW corner of lot near the creek. That, along with the time of purchase (right before recession) I think was enough to prioritize the other side first. Additionally, there have always been rumors that the Sunset Golf Club is going to go bankrupt and be bought by Slosburg, who would then have a huge parcel to develop.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

LOL, that's not a sinkhole, it's a man made silt trap...

As I have mentioned before, the property in the NW corner is in the flood plain and the entire golf course is in the flood plane. The rules now only let you fill 25% of your lot to raise it out of the flood plane.
RockHarbor
Planning Board

Post by RockHarbor »

Oh... Interesting. Well, I hope it develops eventually... It is just odd that there's still a lot open there. Yet, I'm surprised there's still lots by Westroads Mall open, on West Dodge by Costco (yet, I think they are building something finally), and an open lot between the Marriott Hotel and Regency Center.
Last edited by RockHarbor on Thu Feb 02, 2017 9:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I can get pushed out because I'm "too much" for some. Then, an observer of me comes suddenly swooping in to "fill my shoes." People are always more accepting of the new one, because their feathers aren't truly ruffled by them. (Yawn) I can count on it every time.
Taco
Human Relations

Post by Taco »

Brad wrote:LOL, that's not a sinkhole, it's a man made silt trap...

As I have mentioned before, the property in the NW corner is in the flood plain and the entire golf course is in the flood plane. The rules now only let you fill 25% of your lot to raise it out of the flood plane.
Lol, sounds like my uncle is full of sh*t after all...I assume this means the golf course has very low value then?
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Taco wrote:
Brad wrote:LOL, that's not a sinkhole, it's a man made silt trap...

Lol, sounds like my uncle is full of sh*t after all...I assume this means the golf course has very low value then?
It could probably be an apartment or something with plenty of green space, but I don't think it could be anything with much density.
Ben
Human Relations

Post by Ben »

A chiropractor is taking the bay between Zounds Hearing Aids and Long Dog Fat Cat. Build out is in process now.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Planet Sub is closing. We have seen the writing on the wall, but now its official per their FB Page.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

And apparently this will replace it...

https://www.qsrmagazine.com/news/coolgr ... omaha-area
Crockett1985
New to the Neighborhood

Post by Crockett1985 »

Brad wrote: Fri Oct 25, 2019 4:44 pm And apparently this will replace it...

https://www.qsrmagazine.com/news/coolgr ... omaha-area
Doubt that will last half as long as Planet Sub.
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

Cool Greens issued a press release, saying they will open 2 Omaha locations next year, Loveland and Blackstone.
I just love the hyperbole contained in these sorts of announcements. Apparently Omahans have had no healthy food options up until now.
http://www.restaurantnews.com/coolgreen ... ts-121219/
garyomaha
Home Owners Association

Post by garyomaha »

>>Located at 18990 West Center in Loveland Center and 3618 S. Farnum St. in the Blackstone District<<

Someone didn't proofread.
U R my Helix
Human Relations

Post by U R my Helix »

nativeomahan wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 8:40 am Cool Greens issued a press release, saying they will open 2 Omaha locations next year, Loveland and Blackstone.
I just love the hyperbole contained in these sorts of announcements. Apparently Omahans have had no healthy food options up until now.
http://www.restaurantnews.com/coolgreen ... ts-121219/
BPHusker
Home Owners Association

Post by BPHusker »

What ever happened to what was going in on the other side of the shopping center, where the old Putt Putt, gas station and old arcade were? Looking back it was talked about being condos. It has been a field for 10 years at least.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

BPHusker wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 9:52 am What ever happened to what was going in on the other side of the shopping center, where the old Putt Putt, gas station and old arcade were? Looking back it was talked about being condos. It has been a field for 10 years at least.
Buildings were removed in 2006, so 14 years.

This questions comes up from time time on the Grow Omaha Call-in Show (not as often as it did). Trenton says the owner is just sitting on it an waiting.

I have always had some suspicions that the flood plain is also affecting it too. The base flood elevation for those lots is Elev 1026, which means any buildings built on those lots would need to be at least Elev 1027. You can see on the map below, its all in the flood plain and most of the lots are in the 1022-1024 range meaning 3-5 feet of dirt would need to be brought in to get those buildings up there. Plus I believe you can only fill in 25% of the lot in a flood plain.

I sure District 66 would love to get something with real value built there soon.
90TH-CENTER.JPG
90TH-CENTER.JPG (229.52 KiB) Viewed 1890 times
Cermak
Parks & Recreation

Post by Cermak »

Think I would find somewhere else to live in Omaha besides that corner. There’s a reason it’s been vacant for 14 years, it might flood someday. Maybe turn it into a park with some lighted tennis and pickleball courts.
Taco
Human Relations

Post by Taco »

Cermak wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 12:42 pm Maybe turn it into a park with some lighted tennis and pickleball courts.
Far too charitable for the Slosburg company. Frustrating how they tore down what was previously a neighborhood asset and have left it vacant for so long with minimal maintenance and or even snow scooping.
Ben
Human Relations

Post by Ben »

Slosburg won't develop this lot until the fill up across the street...

Original plans (way back when) had apartments over retail. Given the softness in retail as of late, I wouldn't hold my breath for anything here.

I'd asked at the community meetings about the golf course redevelopment if they'd approached Slosburg about a right of way, and making the entrance to the new housing through this property. Sounded like Slosburg blew them off, and wasn't even willing to consider an agreement/partial sale of this property. So, it's likely to sit for a while.
TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board

Post by TitosBuritoBarn »

Something fun for someone with a lot of time on their hands: find all the copies of this strip mall that exist in the world.

https://goo.gl/maps/SQNYg5UhTfZpZ8by6

For a while I had known it had a twin in Lincoln...:

https://goo.gl/maps/gcDL5dsmJVJ8zGV56

...but came across its triplet in Houston through random exploration:

https://goo.gl/maps/QvVHG4WvZwPBTZ1cA

The Lincoln and Houston iterations appear to be nearly identical. The faux second story window spacing is a little different and the bay with the attached drive through is on opposite sides, but that appears to be about it.
"Video game violence is not a new problem. Who could forget in the wake of SimCity how children everywhere took up urban planning." - Stephen Colbert
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

TitosBuritoBarn wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 10:02 am Something fun for someone with a lot of time on their hands: find all the copies of this strip mall that exist in the world.

The Lincoln and Houston iterations appear to be nearly identical. The faux second story window spacing is a little different and the bay with the attached drive through is on opposite sides, but that appears to be about it.
Are they all Slosburg Company properties?
TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board

Post by TitosBuritoBarn »

Brad wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 10:40 am
TitosBuritoBarn wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 10:02 am Something fun for someone with a lot of time on their hands: find all the copies of this strip mall that exist in the world.

Are they all Slosburg Company properties?
Upon further research they are. And the Houston property is the only one outside of Nebraska. I guess just odd coincidence I came across it.
"Video game violence is not a new problem. Who could forget in the wake of SimCity how children everywhere took up urban planning." - Stephen Colbert