Carol Hotel

Have an inside scoop? Word on a new retailer or restaurant? Share it here!

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Omaha_Gabe
Human Relations

Carol Hotel

Post by Omaha_Gabe »

Property was bought and will be demoed soon
PotatoeEatsFish
Human Relations

Re: Carol Hotel

Post by PotatoeEatsFish »

Good,
Its an awful hotel.
Though the outside of it looks clean the inside is nasty.
#SaveTheUglyGrainSilos2024
zippy
Home Owners Association

Post by zippy »

It was originally a Sheraton, and was home to the Playboy Club.
choke
Human Relations

Post by choke »

I look at this hotel every day on my way to work. Not once have I thought I would like to stay there. Just something about it seems off.
GRANDPASMUCKER
Human Relations

Post by GRANDPASMUCKER »

choke wrote:I look at this hotel every day on my way to work. Not once have I thought I would like to stay there. Just something about it seems off.
This was a Clarion Hotel and one of those shady grady guys from India or somewhere like it bought the hotel and it has been like the Bates Motel ever since. First you have this business genius take the letters from the Clarion sign and make the name Carol Hotel from it. Brilliant huh. Then you have this guy selling rooms on priceline and internet travel sites to lure in customers. I have friends who have visited town and got stuck there by priceline and it was a total filthy dump. What the customers dont know is half this hotel is filled up with Meth Heads who are looking to rob them and their vehicles the first chance they get. If the Meth Heads are not down in South O scoring their next Meth 8 ball they are over at Walmart or Super Target on 120th & L shoplifting or robbing customers cars. You are right there is something off there, its a 4th dimension of life that it upside down. Thank the gods this place is going away.
bigredmed
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed »

zippy wrote:It was originally a Sheraton, and was home to the Playboy Club.
Before the Playboy Club, it was the Smuggler's Inn. Hot upscale disco where the cute teachers from Millard High School went trolling for lawyers. I worked in the kitchen there in high school.
GRANDPASMUCKER
Human Relations

Post by GRANDPASMUCKER »

bigredmed wrote:
zippy wrote:It was originally a Sheraton, and was home to the Playboy Club.
Before the Playboy Club, it was the Smuggler's Inn. Hot upscale disco where the cute teachers from Millard High School went trolling for lawyers. I worked in the kitchen there in high school.
I can see it! :thumb: I was in my 20s back then but I didn't do disco so I never made it to that place.
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

Oh goodness. The memories! It not only was it the Playboy Club, I was a member, back in the 1980s. It didn't take much to join. The Friday night Happy Hour lured me and my friends in, with great drink specials as well as very good food.
choke
Human Relations

Post by choke »

GRANDPASMUCKER wrote:
choke wrote:I look at this hotel every day on my way to work. Not once have I thought I would like to stay there. Just something about it seems off.
This was a Clarion Hotel and one of those shady grady guys from India or somewhere like it bought the hotel and it has been like the Bates Motel ever since. First you have this business genius take the letters from the Clarion sign and make the name Carol Hotel from it. Brilliant huh. Then you have this guy selling rooms on priceline and internet travel sites to lure in customers. I have friends who have visited town and got stuck there by priceline and it was a total filthy dump. What the customers dont know is half this hotel is filled up with Meth Heads who are looking to rob them and their vehicles the first chance they get. If the Meth Heads are not down in South O scoring their next Meth 8 ball they are over at Walmart or Super Target on 120th & L shoplifting or robbing customers cars. You are right there is something off there, its a 4th dimension of life that it upside down. Thank the gods this place is going away.
That is funny, manipulating the letters from Clarion to spell Carol.
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

choke wrote:
GRANDPASMUCKER wrote:
That is funny, manipulating the letters from Clarion to spell Carol.
Don't forget its brief stint as the Clarino.
When fortune smiles on something as violent and ugly as revenge, it seems proof like no other that not only does God exist, you're doing his will.

The Bride
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

Wait, this was once The Playboy Club?

This place belongs on the Historical Register. I demand this building not be torn down.
No posts exist for this topic
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

Playboy club, sometimes I seriously wish I lived in the 50s.
15-17, 26, 32
GRANDPASMUCKER
Human Relations

Post by GRANDPASMUCKER »

MTO wrote:Playboy club, sometimes I seriously wish I lived in the 50s.
The Playboy club was around in the mid 80's. It was hardly advertised or promoted and was dead and I think they lost alot of money.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

The Playboy Club opened on May 18, 1984 and closed in April of 1988.
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

I knew Coyote was old enough to remember..
15-17, 26, 32
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

At first I thought this post was someone's joke on Facebook, since both Stargazer's and NativeOmahan's names were on it (they both Like Expedia), but I just saw this on my Facebook:
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (82.16 KiB) Viewed 5302 times
The Carol Hotel has a whole 2 stars on Expedia.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (82.79 KiB) Viewed 5302 times
GRANDPASMUCKER
Human Relations

Post by GRANDPASMUCKER »

Coyote wrote:The Playboy Club opened on May 18, 1984 and closed in April of 1988.
That explains why I never never went to the Playboy Club. I spent the most of that period dealing with 3 different girlfriends I was dumb enough to let move in my house. Wasn't no time for PlayBoy Clubin or the money to pay for it after those women took me to a level of broke I had never imagined. :oops:
GRANDPASMUCKER
Human Relations

Post by GRANDPASMUCKER »

If I saw that pick of the Carol I would say that place looks great. That picture sure makes good bait to lure in the pigeons.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

My understanding is that it was bought by Farm Credit.

Greg
Omaha_Gabe
Human Relations

Post by Omaha_Gabe »

Greg S wrote:My understanding is that it was bought by Farm Credit.

Greg

Correct - they are to build a parking lot. They also bought some of the land from Mosaic.
TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board

Post by TitosBuritoBarn »

Are they increasing the number of employees there? Building any new office space?
"Video game violence is not a new problem. Who could forget in the wake of SimCity how children everywhere took up urban planning." - Stephen Colbert
Omaha_Gabe
Human Relations

Post by Omaha_Gabe »

Wrecking ball has arrived!
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

Omaha_Gabe wrote:Wrecking ball has arrived!

Noooo! I must protest to save this historic structure. What other building in Omaha can claim such a storied history with Playboy?
bigredmed
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed »

MadMartin8 wrote:
Omaha_Gabe wrote:Wrecking ball has arrived!

Noooo! I must protest to save this historic structure. What other building in Omaha can claim such a storied history with Playboy?
Before the Playboy era it was home to Smugglers Inn. No telling how many traveling salesmen got some professional action there. Many lawyers hooked up with hot young high school teachers there. Many hot young high school girls hooked up with touring rock bands there. Hope they brought their hazmat gear.... :sly:
Omaha_Gabe
Human Relations

Post by Omaha_Gabe »

MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

Omaha_Gabe wrote:Image
RIP you historic structure you.
bigredmed
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed »

That came down fast. Spirochetes aren't good construction material, it seems.
Joe_Sovereign
Library Board

Post by Joe_Sovereign »

Read the Yelp or Google Reviews of the Carol Hotel the are great dark comedy.
bigredmed
Parks & Recreation

Re: learn from it

Post by bigredmed »

Carrie Palmer wrote:A lesson for their peers
The hotel was in an awkward location. It made a ton of money from the disco when Millard was still isolated from the rest of the city's restaurants, and like lots of other franchisees, took the money out instead of reinvesting. The disco craze ended and the isolation did as well. They doubled down on sex and became a Playboy club. The sleaze didnt sell and the services they could offer couldn't stay up with the competition.
okstfan75

Post by okstfan75 »

I just found out this place has been demolished. thank god. I stayed here once when it was the Clarion. It was ok but some of the staff was rude and you could tell it was an older place and had seen better days. But after seeing some of the comments here and reviews elsewhere, i guess it could've been worse. Thank god I never stayed there again.