HyVee Closing (36th & L)

News and releases from metro area businesses

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Louie
County Board

Re: HyVee Closing (36th & L)

Post by Louie »

Greg S wrote:
Louie wrote:I have heard that B&R (Super Saver, Russ's Market) is looking at the hyvee site as it was leased and not wholly owned by HyVee.

Are the bag your own grocery stores a dying breed? You just don't hear or see them much anymore. I did like Super Save in Lincoln. The few they have in the Omaha area are not close to me.

Greg
Honestly I never shop at them so I can't comment on the 'bag your own' aspect (I'm pretty sure they bag them for you but I could totally be off) but I can say with certainty that each of the Russ's in Lincoln outperform the full size Super Saver in Millard when it comes to liquor. The B&R brand is a joke in Omaha.
debradomayer
Library Board

Post by debradomayer »

B&R has closed a couple of stores in Lincoln in the last few months, so I'm not sure they are looking to expand into a more competitive grocery market. The rumor always was that when Russ Raybold died the chain was going up for sale. Daughter Jane ran for Lt. Gov. last go round & son Pat may not be all that interested in the day to day. Russ passed away last year. Also, they opened a Super Saver at 50th & Ames and closed it after about a year. Granted, not the same demographic, 36th & L has its own challenges
SouthOmahansolo
New to the Neighborhood

Post by SouthOmahansolo »

I like what I've seen of Super Saver, so that could be a good one. Unfortunately all of them are way out of the way right now (I think one is in CB, and the other one is out past Millard on U St)
ricko wrote:I grew up less than a mile from this store back during the Jurassic era. I think this property was a Hunt Transportation depot; next to the holding pens for the Union Stockyards. Anyway, call me crazy, but I think an Aldi or a Trader Joe's would work here. Before I moved outside the Beltway (Virginia) 3 years ago, my house was in a 1960's era neighborhood that was largely working class Asian/Hispanic/Middle-Eastern immigrants and native born blue collar Americans, and equally distant from 2 TJ's (about 3 miles to both stores). They were always packed with locals---TJ's has very good prices, and it's ironic to me that in Omaha it's in a ritzy neighborhood. Same thing with 5 Guy's (their first 5 stores---all in the Virginia suburbs of DC, were in working class neighborhoods). Blue collar folks are more likely to cook at home (I can't think of many decent restaurants in South Omaha growing up outside of Johnny's Cafe and Eddie Galas'----going out to eat was a special occasion, even for fast food), so the quality and value of groceries are not lost on them.
Aldi is already in South O, on 30th and L. Just down the street. It's also never not busy, so it seems to be doing well.
GRANDPASMUCKER
Human Relations

Post by GRANDPASMUCKER »

SouthOmahansolo wrote:I like what I've seen of Super Saver, so that could be a good one. Unfortunately all of them are way out of the way right now (I think one is in CB, and the other one is out past Millard on U St)
ricko wrote:I grew up less than a mile from this store back during the Jurassic era. I think this property was a Hunt Transportation depot; next to the holding pens for the Union Stockyards. Anyway, call me crazy, but I think an Aldi or a Trader Joe's would work here. Before I moved outside the Beltway (Virginia) 3 years ago, my house was in a 1960's era neighborhood that was largely working class Asian/Hispanic/Middle-Eastern immigrants and native born blue collar Americans, and equally distant from 2 TJ's (about 3 miles to both stores). They were always packed with locals---TJ's has very good prices, and it's ironic to me that in Omaha it's in a ritzy neighborhood. Same thing with 5 Guy's (their first 5 stores---all in the Virginia suburbs of DC, were in working class neighborhoods). Blue collar folks are more likely to cook at home (I can't think of many decent restaurants in South Omaha growing up outside of Johnny's Cafe and Eddie Galas'----going out to eat was a special occasion, even for fast food), so the quality and value of groceries are not lost on them.
Aldi is already in South O, on 30th and L. Just down the street. It's also never not busy, so it seems to be doing well.

I live in Millard and Super Saver aint no prize! The meat is not nearly as bad as Walmart's but it still is a waste of good money. Super Saver employees are not always the most wonderful either. And yes even though Millard is a pretty nice end of town we still have a fair share of undesirables and those folks luv Super Saver. In summation if you dont mind shopping with a rough crowd and dealing with rough around the edges employees then Super Savers your store. They dont mind trying to sneak out out dated food by the suckers er I mean customers either!
daveoma
Parks & Recreation

Post by daveoma »

I think it would be good to remind everyone of the demographics of the area around 36th & L. This area is ethically diverse (I would estimate 50-75% Hispanic, and almost entirely working class. In my opinion the next grocer must accommodate to the market. This will not be an upscale Hy-Vee, Costco,Trader Joe's, or Bakers. Furthermore, working class grocery stores are not mini Detroits full of drive bys. Like grandpa says, there are people committing crimes everywhere. Many grocery stores in this part of town are full if of families and old people.

Also is there someone Hispanic/Latino in the forum who lives nearby and who can share their perspective?
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

I can't remember the shape that the Supermercado Nuestra Familia is on Q St, but here may be a good chance for them to move into a better(?) location...
debradomayer
Library Board

Post by debradomayer »

Coyote, Spartan Nash just spent a ton of money remodeling their store at 36th & Q a couple of years ago. It was a No Frills prior to the remodel. It's probably in better shape than the HyVee. Used to call on that location when I rep'd for M&M Mars
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

debradomayer wrote:Coyote, Spartan Nash just spent a ton of money remodeling their store at 36th & Q a couple of years ago. It was a No Frills prior to the remodel. It's probably in better shape than the HyVee. Used to call on that location when I rep'd for M&M Mars
Thanks, I did not know that since I probably haven't been in that store in years... I usually go to the one on Vinton.
GRANDPASMUCKER
Human Relations

Post by GRANDPASMUCKER »

On a lighter note that is funny but not really but yeah its funny. I was at the Millard Supersaver about 3 months ago and a guy was hand cuffed and getting stuffed in the back of a police car. I asked the cashier when I checked out what they had caught the guy shoplifting and she said he got caught with 2 cans of Bush's baked beans in his coat pockets. :roll:
TheSeventhBrat
Home Owners Association

Post by TheSeventhBrat »

debradomayer wrote:B&R has closed a couple of stores in Lincoln in the last few months, so I'm not sure they are looking to expand into a more competitive grocery market. The rumor always was that when Russ Raybold died the chain was going up for sale. Daughter Jane ran for Lt. Gov. last go round & son Pat may not be all that interested in the day to day. Russ passed away last year. Also, they opened a Super Saver at 50th & Ames and closed it after about a year. Granted, not the same demographic, 36th & L has its own challenges
Pat is an idiot. Nice guy, but not very bright.
SouthOmahansolo
New to the Neighborhood

They recently redid the entire roof on Supermercado. They remodeled the entire inside when it was rebranded as Supermercado as well. I think they like their location, and the Q St Plaza is on the upswing after Planet Fitness moved in which also caused two other stores to rent out the mall. The only spot not rented out in that mall is the segment that ALPS used to be in - they even remodeled the facade except for the middle part so far.

re: Super Saver. I'm mostly interested in them because they have a lot of bulk stuff. They're not that great for pricing, but they're still below the absurd prices Hy Vee tried to get away with in their store.

I also don't think Spartan Nash would put a Family Fare in there. They don't want to cannibalize their own stores anymore with redundant locations blocks from each other. No Frills brand is pretty much dead now. They're rebranding the No Frills on 24th and Vinton to Family Fare as well, so I think that also rules it out.

So that pretty much leaves you Super Saver or Baker's considering redundant store locations. Walmart and Aldi already present in the area.

Also as a side note: the new Cox location in the plaza is really great. Bright, clean, and employees help everyone in and out the door and it looks like they're so happy not being smushed into a 4'x7' box lol
daveoma
Parks & Recreation

Post by daveoma »

I wasn't aware of the Nuestra Familia so close by, thanks for the info! Now that things are in perspective, and there are a lot of grocery options nearby, I'm not so sure another grocery store would work here. Hopefully the space is filled with something so the plaza does not sure empty.
SouthOmahansolo
New to the Neighborhood

closed permanently about a half hour ago. They were up to 25% off everything at the end, and it looked like you'd expect.

It seems they're renting out the lot to a fireworks stand this year, it's already set up in the parking lot. First time they ever did that (even post fireworks legalization)
debradomayer
Library Board

Post by debradomayer »

The fireworks stand was there last year too, I think it was the first year. I did weekly sales calls in the store for a few years.
SouthOmahansolo
New to the Neighborhood

I must have somehow missed it ,but then again there's about 3 of those stands between me and that lot, so I usually tapped out by the time I got to Supermercado's stand.

They already removed the Hy Vee sign from the building.
cherrr31
New to the Neighborhood

Post by cherrr31 »

I complained twice about a rude check out clerk at that location... An elderly buck-toothed white women, and they never did anything about it. I noticed that she "picks and chooses" customers that she's nice to and treats others with distain. Doesn't surprise me that it finally caught up with the stores sales decline. :(
a42887
Home Owners Association

Post by a42887 »

cherrr31 wrote:I complained twice about a rude check out clerk at that location... An elderly buck-toothed white women, and they never did anything about it. I noticed that she "picks and chooses" customers that she's nice to and treats others with distain. Doesn't surprise me that it finally caught up with the stores sales decline. :(
You came all this way, across the information superhighway, registered to post on this site, just to make an (rather ridiculous) inference about why an already closed store closed? That is true, unbridled dedication.
SouthOmahansolo
New to the Neighborhood

Just an useless necro bump: The building is still empty. Hy Vee is still landscaping and doing clean up on the property, but they're still riding out the lease from what I can tell. They have all the lights on each night, too, inside and out.