River's Edge Development (Playland Park)

Including Iowa metro counties.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Omaha1000
Home Owners Association

Re: River's Edge Development (Playland Park)

Post by Omaha1000 »

Coyote wrote:
RockHarbor wrote:I have yet to see a picture taken from that striking sculpture with the Omaha skyline in the backdrop. It has to be cool. I love taking pictures, and I haven't even been over there yet to take one.
Oh yeah? How about three pages back...:

Coyote on Dec 11, 2014 wrote:Image

Well....it's definitely red.
RockHarbor
Planning Board

Post by RockHarbor »

Oh, I missed that... I didn't ever look through the history of this thread! Thanks for bringing that forward. It is a neat sculpture! I like it back dropped by the pedestrian bridge better than the skyline. That actually makes a neat photo from that view, as the sculpture's lines compliment the supports and stiff cables of the bridge, and the modern condo buildings. I'll have to remember that when I get pics.
I can get pushed out because I'm "too much" for some. Then, an observer of me comes suddenly swooping in to "fill my shoes." People are always more accepting of the new one, because their feathers aren't truly ruffled by them. (Yawn) I can count on it every time.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

RockHarbor wrote:Oh, I missed that... I didn't ever look through the history of this thread! Thanks for bringing that forward. It is a neat sculpture! I like it back dropped by the pedestrian bridge better than the skyline. I'll have to remember that when I get pics.
Those pics are horrible, but if I recall, they are from the day the sculpture was raised. I took the pics from my old cell phone and tried to enhance the dismal weather on photoshop, so they may be more red that the human sees...
daveoma
Parks & Recreation

Post by daveoma »

Omaha1000 wrote:
Coyote wrote:
RockHarbor wrote:I have yet to see a picture taken from that striking sculpture with the Omaha skyline in the backdrop. It has to be cool. I love taking pictures, and I haven't even been over there yet to take one.
Oh yeah? How about three pages back...:

Coyote on Dec 11, 2014 wrote:Image

Well....it's definitely red.
I like the way that fisherman grasps his pole.
daveoma
Parks & Recreation

Post by daveoma »

I would love to see something with a sense of humor like the bear sculpture in Denver.
Attachments
images.jpg
images.jpg (10.22 KiB) Viewed 9206 times
RockHarbor
Planning Board

Post by RockHarbor »

daveoma wrote:I would love to see something with a sense of humor like the bear sculpture in Denver.
Like what? A giant buck looking into one of our buildings? Or, a sand hill crane? lol I'm trying to think of something local.

I do like that bear in Denver. I took some pictures of it when I was there over Christmas.
I can get pushed out because I'm "too much" for some. Then, an observer of me comes suddenly swooping in to "fill my shoes." People are always more accepting of the new one, because their feathers aren't truly ruffled by them. (Yawn) I can count on it every time.
bargainhunter
Library Board

Post by bargainhunter »

Growing up in the Sioux City area, we had the "French Fry" art:
Attachments
SCFrenchFryArt.jpg
SCFrenchFryArt.jpg (9.03 KiB) Viewed 8975 times
GetUrban
Planning Board

Post by GetUrban »

bargainhunter wrote:Growing up in the Sioux City area, we had the "French Fry" art:
There's something abstractly vulgar about that sculpture. Or it's flipping everyone off.
He said "They are some big, ugly red brick buildings"
...and then they were gone.
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

I wonder if it was the same artist who designed those random sculptures at the Proxibid building on 96 and I?

Verbum Domini Manet in Aeternum
omahahawk
Parks & Recreation

Post by omahahawk »

Looks like the footings are now going in for the first building.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

omahahawk wrote:Looks like the footings are now going in for the first building.
I didn't see any from I480. Lots of roads going in, but that's all I saw.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Drove by today, looks like the 4 main roads are in. Looks like they are going to have a circle or roundabout in the middle where the roads intersect.
omahahawk
Parks & Recreation

Post by omahahawk »

Doubt if you could see them driving. I actually walked up to the site from the pedestrian bridge. If you do that though you can see about a 10 foot section on the north side of the raised elevation where rebar is going up.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Looks like the first part has gone vertical.

skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Brad wrote:Looks like the first part has gone vertical.
For a second there, I thought you were talking about the clouds.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

skinzfan23 wrote:
Brad wrote:Looks like the first part has gone vertical.
For a second there, I thought you were talking about the clouds.
Lol, they were too so I couldn't resist putting them in the shot. Unfortunately doing that, the elevator shaft looks tiny.
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

That vertical part has been there for about a month now, there is a surprisingly small amount of workers down there the days I walk by.
thenewguy
County Board

Post by thenewguy »

Looks like the elevator shaft added some height during the week
Go Cubs Go
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Aerial Photo Update:

MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

For some reason I never realized how perfectly the pedestrian bridge feeds into this development. How cool.
No posts exist for this topic
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

MadMartin8 wrote:For some reason I never realized how perfectly the pedestrian bridge feeds into this development. How cool.
You mean the "Bridge to Nowhere"
omahahawk
Parks & Recreation

Post by omahahawk »

Thanks for the aerials. From the pictures it looks like they are starting on more stuff than just the Iowa West building. Clearly I can see some road infrastructure but do you have any idea what the long terraced looking thing is in the middle along with some of the other stuff that kind of looks like foundations for small buildings? Makes me wonder if the build out of this place is going faster than I expected.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

I could be completely wrong but I think it is just a concrete street and the black part is probably going to have brick covering it. I have seen them do a similar thing on Broadway in CB next to the sidewalk. They put asphalt down first and then lay brick over it.
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

I think it's a street too and it looks like those boxes will be sidewalk trees.
15-17, 26, 32
Omaha1000
Home Owners Association

Post by Omaha1000 »

MadMartin8 wrote:For some reason I never realized how perfectly the pedestrian bridge feeds into this development. How cool.
The bridge fits with the Iowa side much more naturally than with the Nebraska side. The natural focus on the Nebraska side of the riverfront should have been where the bridge is.
PotatoeEatsFish
Human Relations

Post by PotatoeEatsFish »

Are they going to build those two towers?
#SaveTheUglyGrainSilos2024
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Mayor, developer: River's Edge office building will not go forward without parking facility
The Daily Nonpareil has learned a multimillion-dollar office building – one of the key elements of the River’s Edge development now underway in the former Playland Park – will be lost if the City Council fails to approve a lease-purchase agreement that would pave the way for construction of an associated 750-stall parking garage.

Walsh and Community Development Director Don Gross said the city would likely have to repay the $1.8 million RISE grant if the office building is dropped from the project.
Monday’s City Council agenda includes a public hearing and council vote on a lease-purchase agreement not to exceed $17 million that would pave the way for the proposed River’s Edge Parking Facility. Walsh and Noddle both are concerned there may not be adequate support on the City Council to move the project forward because of confusion potentially surrounding the financial agreement related to the parking garage.

Current plans call for construction of 247 apartment units totalling 260,000 square feet and 6,300 square feet of retail space with an anticipated combined assessed value of more than $27 million.
Plans also call for a 10-story, 36 unit condo tower, a 10-story, 36-unit “multi-family tower;” 16 townhomes; and 21,800 square feet of mixed-use space with an estimated combined assessed value of more than $33 million.
choke
Human Relations

Post by choke »

skinzfan23 wrote:Mayor, developer: River's Edge office building will not go forward without parking facility
The Daily Nonpareil has learned a multimillion-dollar office building – one of the key elements of the River’s Edge development now underway in the former Playland Park – will be lost if the City Council fails to approve a lease-purchase agreement that would pave the way for construction of an associated 750-stall parking garage.

Walsh and Community Development Director Don Gross said the city would likely have to repay the $1.8 million RISE grant if the office building is dropped from the project.
Monday’s City Council agenda includes a public hearing and council vote on a lease-purchase agreement not to exceed $17 million that would pave the way for the proposed River’s Edge Parking Facility. Walsh and Noddle both are concerned there may not be adequate support on the City Council to move the project forward because of confusion potentially surrounding the financial agreement related to the parking garage.

Current plans call for construction of 247 apartment units totalling 260,000 square feet and 6,300 square feet of retail space with an anticipated combined assessed value of more than $27 million.
Plans also call for a 10-story, 36 unit condo tower, a 10-story, 36-unit “multi-family tower;” 16 townhomes; and 21,800 square feet of mixed-use space with an estimated combined assessed value of more than $33 million.

Added Noddle: “The community will lose credibility if it does not go forward.”

How do you not build the garage after that statement?
Erik
Parks & Recreation

Post by Erik »

So weird how parking is the key factor of halting major projects. Did Noddle take a page out of the HDR-OPA debacle?
PotatoeEatsFish
Human Relations

Post by PotatoeEatsFish »

I'm so confused. What's the big deal over a parking garage?
#SaveTheUglyGrainSilos2024
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Bluff council approves Playland Park office parking garage

On a 3-2 vote Monday evening, the City Council approved a lease-purchase agreement concerning a parking structure for the building tenants and other users.

At issue involved construction of approximately 750-stall parking garage next to a multi-floor office building east of the Missouri River levee. Estimated cost for the garage is $11.2 million. The city and the Iowa West Foundation will each pay $2 million of that cost. Walsh said the remaining $7 million would be financed over a 20-year period, with payments for the city’s lease-purchase agreement coming from the tax-increment finance district developed for the project.

Construction of the office building should begin this fall and be completed late next year or early 2018.
Omaha_Gabe
Human Relations

Post by Omaha_Gabe »

It seems this project is taking a vary long time. Seem as if the capital project will be mostly completed before this one even begins to go vertical.....
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

I agree, but also, remember that the Capitol project was first announced in 2011.
NovakOmaha
Planning Board

Post by NovakOmaha »

jessep28 wrote:I wonder if it was the same artist who designed those random sculptures at the Proxibid building on 96 and I?

The sculptures at the Proxibid building were put there by the former owner. He owned Pacesetter Corp. & was really into modern art. Inside & out. Not sure if he owns the building still.

Here's some interesting reading about the history & fall of Pacesetter Corp. It's sad.

http://www.lyncmigration.com/news/2006/ ... 900163.htm#
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Omaha_Gabe wrote:It seems this project is taking a vary long time. Seem as if the capital project will be mostly completed before this one even begins to go vertical.....
The article above shows that the project was waiting on the city funding the garage. Bet we see progress by the new year now.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

From Nonpareil article on the mayor's state of the city address:
Council Bluffs officials are working with a Chicago-based group on a proposed condominium tower and possibly an apartment building in the River’s Edge development, according to Don Gross, director of the city’s Community Development Department.
He declined to name the group at this time, but added, “We think they are capable of doing it.”
It’s just a proposal at this time, Gross said, but more details may go to the Council Bluffs City Council later this month. A 30-day period is also required to seek similar proposals, he added.
Mayor Matt Walsh mentioned this project in a city update discussion at Thursday’s Noon Rotary meeting.
“We definitely think this is worth further discussion with the developer, which we’re doing now,” he said afterwards.
NEDodger
Parks & Recreation

Post by NEDodger »

Good for CB. It'd be nice if Omaha could get a downtown condo tower, too....Lanoha, where are you????
IowaChicken
New to the Neighborhood

Post by IowaChicken »

Has anyone heard if the city or another orginization buying out any of the homes in that area?
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

IowaChicken wrote:Has anyone heard if the city or another orginization buying out any of the homes in that area?
I't doesn't look like it, they all appear to be individual owners.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Looks like streets are all done, including streetlights installed.