Omaha's Henry Doorly Zoo and Aquarium

Omaha's dining, arts and music scene

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

nebugeater
City Council

Re: Omaha's Henry Doorly Zoo and Aquarium

Post by nebugeater »

skinzfan23 wrote:That will be exciting to see. I haven't been there since it opened and hear great things about it, but like the zoo itself, you can always make a great thing better.

From the article, it says attendance was 143,668 last year.
I was at least 5 of that number. With the season pass I know I was through there no less than that number of times.

Twice so far this year.
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

Has anyone seen the male elephant? We went the first day they were made available to the public to see, and there was the story that it was off display dealing with a swollen foot. I've been back at least 3 times, and have yet to see it. A zoo employee near the exhibit seemed to suggest that she didn't know what was up either.
Shoot for the Moon... if you miss, you'll land among the stars.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

I read that he was injured, but I don't remember a timeline for when he would go on display.
thenewguy
County Board

Post by thenewguy »

dont much feel like searchin to find the answer; is the alaskan adventure up and running?
Go Cubs Go
BRoss
IT Director

Post by BRoss »

thenewguy wrote:dont much feel like searchin to find the answer; is the alaskan adventure up and running?
According to the OWH, it opened a week after the African Grasslands.
bigredmed
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed »

:help:
HR Paperstacks wrote:
thenewguy wrote:dont much feel like searchin to find the answer; is the alaskan adventure up and running?
According to the OWH, it opened a week after the African Grasslands.
Many giggling soaking wet preschoolers were on TV news reports. Looks like they built it for year round use.
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

I don't see it running past September, but it is very nice (for the pre-schoolers as you say). With the Skyfari, water area... let's just let loose with this, expand into the neighborhood past 'Pachyderm hill', and start adding the Busch Gardens rides.

During our visit yesterday, there was considerably more activity with the new exhibits, than our visit Memorial weekend. Lion 'cubs' crashed on display next to glass for all to view (still waiting to see one lounging up on 'pride rock'). Cheetahs were most impressive. A well positioned shade tree/rock outcropping has them hanging out in full view. Several elephants were out, although I'm curious when they're going to let them over to the other areas which seem to have been created for them (obviously it's a bit of a chore, since separated by the railroad track). Co-habitating Giraffe/impala/ostrich look great. Not sure what the sea lion pup situation is, they were both off display yesterday.

nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

Great photos. I'm looking forward to visiting the zoo once the weather cools.
thenewguy
County Board

Post by thenewguy »

Finally made it all the way through the African grasslands. It is huge and cool as heck... I underestimated how far back into the zoo it went (the Asian bighlands will be awesome, too). I will say, though, that i wish all of the animals were on display. Aside from that, we went to the splash pad, which is awesome as |expletive|. That by itself would be worth the admission
Go Cubs Go
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Henry Doorly Zoo is often called ‘world-class,’ but it takes constant updating to stay among the elite
King of the region?

How Henry Doorly compares with nearby zoos

Henry Doorly Zoo & Aquarium
Size: 130 acres
Species: 535
Attendance (2015): 1.68 million
Membership (total memberships in 2015): 76,319
Marquee exhibits: Lied Jungle, Scott Aquarium, Desert Dome, Kingdoms of the Night, Hubbard Gorilla Valley and Orangutan Forest, Cat Complex, Expedition Madagascar, African Grasslands
Newest major exhibit: African Grasslands, a 28-acre, $73 million savanna with some species intermingling; marquee animals include elephants, giraffes and lions
Summer adult admission: $18.95
Single adult annual membership: $69

Lincoln Children’s Zoo
Size: 7 acres
Species: 100+
Attendance (2015): 218,000
Membership (households in 2015): 8,200
Marquee exhibits: Animal Kingdom (pygmy marmosets, bats, tree kangaroo, bush babies, golden lion tamarins), The Hive (flying squirrels, alligator, lizards, bees), Butterfly Pavilion
Newest major exhibit: Tortoise Trek, with four species of tortoises including endangered Galapagos tortoises, plus three species of macaw; one of the few barrier-free tortoise habitats in the country
Summer adult admission: $9.75
Single adult annual membership: $79

Blank Park Zoo (Des Moines)
Size: 30 acres
Species: 195
Attendance (2015): 470,000
Membership (households in 2015): 10,000
Marquee exhibits: Australia Adventure, Hub Harbor seal/sea lion pool, Myron & Jackie Blank Discovery Center (red pandas, bird conservatory and 15,000-gallon saltwater aquarium)
Newest major exhibit: Jamma Kwa Africa, a 3-acre, $4 million exhibit with rhinos, giraffes, ostriches, addax and more
Summer adult admission: $13
Single adult annual membership: $69

Great Plains Zoo (Sioux Falls, South dakota)
Size: 45 acres
Species: 160
Attendance (2015): 316,000
Membership (households in 2015): 6,000
Marquee exhibits: Snow Monkeys, Rare Rhinos of Africa, Face-to-Face Farm, Asian Cats, Delbridge Museum of Natural History (included with admission)
Newest major exhibit: Renovation of the zoo’s brown bear habitat, to be completed by 2018
Summer adult admission: $11
Single adult annual membership: $47.50

Kansas City Zoo
Size: 202 acres
Species: 500+
Attendance (2015): 911,336
Membership (households in 2015): 27,579
Marquee exhibits: Helzberg Penguin Plaza, Polar Bear Passage, Orangutan Canopy, Tropics, Sea Lion Splash
Newest major exhibit: Koala Flats
Summer adult admission: $14.50 ($7 for residents of Clay and Jackson Counties)
Single adult annual membership: $64 (adult plus one)
Riverside Discovery Center (Scottsbluff)
Size: 23 acres
Species: 67
Attendance (2015): 37,500
Membership (households in 2015): 500
Marquee exhibits: chimpanzees (recently renovated), Amur tiger (recently renovated), heritage barn (native and exotic farm animals)
Newest major exhibit: Dino Dig (2015, $56,000)
Summer adult admission: $6.50
Single adult annual membership: $70
How the Omaha zoo stacks up

The Henry Doorly Zoo & Aquarium just opened its largest and most expensive project. Zoo CEO Dennis Pate said he considers the San Diego Zoo, the St. Louis Zoo and the Columbus Zoo and Aquarium some of his zoo’s peers. Here’s how Omaha compares.

Trip Advisor “Travelers’ Choice” U.S. Ranking (2015)
Note: Compiled via customer satisfaction reviews
1. San Diego Zoo
2. Henry Doorly Zoo
3. St. Louis Zoo
11. Columbus Zoo

Size (in acres)
Columbus: 143
Omaha: 130
San Diego: 100
St. Louis: 93

Species
San Diego: 800
St. Louis: 603
Columbus: 600
Omaha: 535

Attendance (2015)
St. Louis: 3.25 million
San Diego: 3.2 million
Columbus: 2.2 million
Omaha: 1.68 million

Members (households in 2015)
San Diego: 250,000
Columbus: 80,000
Omaha: 76,319*
St. Louis: 50,000
* — (total memberships, not households)

Admission (summer)
St. Louis: free
Omaha: $18.95
Columbus: $19.99
San Diego: $50

Parking Spaces/Cost
Columbus: 6,000/$10
Omaha: 3,000/free
St. Louis: 2,116/$15
San Diego: 0 (free neighborhood parking)
Omaha_corn_burner
Human Relations

Post by Omaha_corn_burner »

$50 admission to the San Diego zoo? That's insane.

$40 for kids : http://zoo.sandiegozoo.org/tickets
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

KC's Zoo is an up and comer. Size wise it's quite a bit bigger than Omaha's. I'd definitely recommend doing the all you can ride pass (train, tram, skyfari, and boat). My kids love the boat ride, something different.

You get in for half price with an Omaha zoo membership.

Greg
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

image.jpeg
image.jpeg (92.41 KiB) Viewed 6227 times
Spatial77
Home Owners Association

Post by Spatial77 »

Thanks for the photo update of the Adventure Trails/Conservation Academy area. I am hoping Brad got some aerial photos of the zoo (and the Blue Barn Theater) on his recent flight. Speaking of aerials... Looks like the new imagery on the DOGIS site was taken soon after the elephants arrived as you can see the six shipping crates still sitting outside the southeast side of the elephant building. And speaking of elephants... the zoo Facebook page has pictures of them in the large 3.3 acre outside enclosure. They are still waiting on zebras and Impala until after the elephants get used to the new area.
"Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future." -- Niels Bohr
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Spatial77 wrote:I am hoping Brad got some aerial photos of the zoo (and the Blue Barn Theater) on his recent flight.
No, not this time. However I believe there will be more opportunities this summer.
Spatial77
Home Owners Association

Post by Spatial77 »

Brad wrote:
Spatial77 wrote:I am hoping Brad got some aerial photos of the zoo (and the Blue Barn Theater) on his recent flight.
No, not this time. However I believe there will be more opportunities this summer.
Thanks for getting the aerials. I always enjoy seeing your pics from above, plus you always have great color saturation in your photos. I know flight time isn't cheap, and I really appreciate the time and financial commitment.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Spatial77 wrote:
Thanks for getting the aerials. I always enjoy seeing your pics from above, plus you always have great color saturation in your photos. I know flight time isn't cheap, and I really appreciate the time and financial commitment.
Your welcome and thanks for the kind words. I use to post as many update photos as possible, but a couple years ago I really made a commitment to quality over quantity. I don't have the free time I use to so when I go out, I try to make it count... The helicopter was a little cheaper this time around, only $395 for 30 min. Last summer it was $595 for 30 min. Usually I only go up when I have client work to do to offset some of the cost, but this time I paid all out of pocket. However, when I post up the TD Ameritrade and Wernwr Park photos, I think you will see that it was worth every penny!
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Brad wrote: However, when I post up the TD Ameritrade and Wernwr Park photos, I think you will see that it was worth every penny!
Can't wait!
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Minneapolis man is Omaha zoo's 1 millionth visitor in 2016
Emily McMinn / World-Herald staff writer wrote:Reaching 1 million visitors on July 3 broke the previous record in 2012 of July 11. In 2015, the zoo didn’t reach its millionth visitor until July 16. Zoo CEO and Executive Director Dennis Pate said the zoo could surpass the 2 million mark this year because of new exhibits, the African Grasslands and Alaskan Adventure
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Henry Doorly Zoo's African Grasslands exhibit is still a work in progress

http://www.omaha.com/living/zoo/henry-d ... 5038a.html
Chris Peters / World-Herald staff writer wrote:Six weeks after the Henry Doorly Zoo & Aquarium cut the ribbon on its new African Grasslands exhibit, some animals still haven’t gone on display.

Several species — zebras, male impalas, meerkats and two types of birds — have been held back because of construction or permit delays. Others, including elephants, have limited access to their exhibit spaces.
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

Nice to hear some explanations (including male elephant's foot condition... didn't hear it was actually broken until now).
Spatial77
Home Owners Association

Post by Spatial77 »

The North Entrance Gate is now open. The zoo has also hired a construction manager to oversee all the upcoming projects, per today's World Hearld. Several building permits were issued recently for Adventure Education facilities, including an amphitheater, animal holding and a restroom building.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

So maybe this is just my own ignorance, but is the zoo really that much busier than in years past that the interstate gets backed up for miles and the parking lot isn't big enough? It seems like this hasn't been a problem and that 13th Street exit was able to handle crowds of 25K for the CWS in the past.

Is it just the fact that everyone shows up at the same time or no one remembers the back ways to the area? Maybe it really is just that busy.

Anyways. Ingress and parking need to be figured out, don't want to turn people off to our biggest tourist draw b/c we can't handle the crowds it draws.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

iamjacobm wrote:So maybe this is just my own ignorance, but is the zoo really that much busier than in years past that the interstate gets backed up for miles and the parking lot isn't big enough? It seems like this hasn't been a problem and that 13th Street exit was able to handle crowds of 25K for the CWS in the past.

Is it just the fact that everyone shows up at the same time or no one remembers the back ways to the area? Maybe it really is just that busy.

Anyways. Ingress and parking need to be figured out, don't want to turn people off to our biggest tourist draw b/c we can't handle the crowds it draws.
From today's Sunday W-H:

"As record-breaking crowds flock to Omaha’s zoo, parking and traffic problems are piling up.

Several times this summer, traffic has backed up along 13th Street near the Henry Doorly Zoo & Aquarium, down the off-ramp and onto Interstate 80, causing headaches for more than just zoo visitors and prompting brainstorming sessions among zoo and city officials.

Omaha City Engineer Todd Pfitzer said the city plans to expand the 13th Street southbound off-ramp to three lanes, perhaps as early as 2018."...

The story link-

http://www.omaha.com/living/zoo/record- ... e0186.html

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

iamjacobm wrote:So maybe this is just my own ignorance, but is the zoo really that much busier than in years past that the interstate gets backed up for miles and the parking lot isn't big enough? It seems like this hasn't been a problem and that 13th Street exit was able to handle crowds of 25K for the CWS in the past.

13th back up to onto the Interstate all the time for the CWS
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

nebugeater wrote:

Not only did the CWS back up on to the interstate all the time, during the CWS they would have 13th street blocked down to one lane southbound to let non stop traffic flow off of I80, and lots of police directing traffic all day.
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

Brad wrote:
nebugeater wrote:

Not only did the CWS back up on to the interstate all the time, during the CWS they would have 13th street blocked down to one lane southbound to let non stop traffic flow off of I80, and lots of police directing traffic all day.
That is one thing I do not miss about the CWS, waiting on the interstate trying to get off at 13th street, as well as trying to get out of those neighborhoods after the game.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

Yeah the CWS used to back up traffic and the zoo seems to be doing it very consistently now on weekends. I know avoid going that way because it can be bad at times.

Greg
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

Hopefully the zoo is reimbursing the city for all the police resources that they are using up.
Verbum Domini Manet in Aeternum
Spatial77
Home Owners Association

Post by Spatial77 »

The zoo will be replacing the translucent roof panels on the Lied Jungle over the next several months.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

jessep28 wrote:Hopefully the zoo is reimbursing the city for all the police resources that they are using up.

Does the CWS, any event at the Clink, the swim trials, the events in the old market, events at Midtown crossing, or any other event that draws a lot of people.

I am guessing that the zoo is a net positive for the city tax rolls no mater how much extra police coverage is needed once in a while.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Spatial77 wrote:The zoo will be replacing the translucent roof panels on the Lied Jungle over the next several months.
I noticed that a few weeks ago when we were there. The jungle opened in 1992, so after nearly 25 years I figure, they thought it was time. The new panels look much nicer.
Spatial77
Home Owners Association

Post by Spatial77 »

skinzfan23 wrote:
Spatial77 wrote:The zoo will be replacing the translucent roof panels on the Lied Jungle over the next several months.
I noticed that a few weeks ago when we were there. The jungle opened in 1992, so after nearly 25 years I figure, they thought it was time. The new panels look much nicer.
From the zoo website: "The roof is being replaced with a new product to allow more UV light to enter the Lied Jungle. Omaha's Henry Doorly Zoo and Aquarium's Horticulture Team has played a major role in the transformation of the roof. The roof material has been selected largely because of the benefits to plants inside of the exhibit. This material will allow high-light transmission for optimum plant growth. The project is expected to be completed by December 2016."
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Omaha zoo announces new Children’s Adventure Trails exhibit
A new visitors’ exhibit at the Henry Doorly Zoo & Aquarium will be complete by fall 2017, zoo officials announced today.

The 5-acre Children’s Adventure Trails, currently under construction near the zoo's north entrance, will include a treehouse playground, a wetland and stream with skiff crossing, and enclosures for prairie dogs, goats and budgies.

The exhibit will extend from the northwest corner of the Desert Dome to the new north entrance. Across the existing sidewalk that snakes down the hill will be a new amphitheater where zookeepers will present live animal shows.

nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

We made our annual trek to the zoo today. Our last visit was around Halloween last fall. I was simply amazed at the changes that have occurred in the past ten months. The addition of the African section; the redesign of the east side of the zoo, by the back end of the Skyfari; the campground area; and the huge new Splash zone area next to the children's carousel, all add up to a new zoo experience. The wide new pathways are a joy to walk, and every square inch of the new areas seem to have been extensively landscaped with trees, shrubbery and decorative grasses. In a few short years when the landscaping grows in these new areas will better blend in with the older portions of the zoo.
And the huge new hand's-on children's educational project being built now, north of the desert dome, will only further enhance the reputation of the Doorly Zoo as a place to learn as well as be entertained.
The new North Entrance, when it is finally opened, will render the north parking lots worthy of actually parking in.
The zoo is a great place to spend a half day, or even a full day if you plan to visit every nook and cranny of the facility.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

nativeomahan wrote:We made our annual trek to the zoo today. Our last visit was around Halloween last fall. I was simply amazed at the changes that have occurred in the past ten months. The addition of the African section; the redesign of the east side of the zoo, by the back end of the Skyfari; the campground area; and the huge new Splash zone area next to the children's carousel, all add up to a new zoo experience. The wide new pathways are a joy to walk, and every square inch of the new areas seem to have been extensively landscaped with trees, shrubbery and decorative grasses. In a few short years when the landscaping grows in these new areas will better blend in with the older portions of the zoo.
And the huge new hand's-on children's educational project being built now, north of the desert dome, will only further enhance the reputation of the Doorly Zoo as a place to learn as well as be entertained.
The new North Entrance, when it is finally opened, will render the north parking lots worthy of actually parking in.
The zoo is a great place to spend a half day, or even a full day if you plan to visit every nook and cranny of the facility.
Couldn't agree more.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

The more I see the new Africa area of the zoo the more I like it. I've described it to friends from out of town as Disney quality. The theming of that area is so well done. If that is what the design of the zoo is going to be like going forward, I can't wait. Really looking forward to the Asia area next.

Greg
Omaha_corn_burner
Human Relations

Post by Omaha_corn_burner »

A few years ago I always thought our zoo was world class. Partly because they shove it down our throats and partly because it always ranked high in the best zoos in the USA. So I just accepted it as fact.

Well over the past few years I have visited zoos in other countries. I can say that our zoo is not the best zoo ever, or however you want to say it. I was particularly impressed with the Taipei zoo.

The Africa renovations look spectacular. If the rest of the zoo goes down this route, I would say our zoo would rank among the best in the world. They have really done an amazing job.
TLGJames
Home Owners Association

Post by TLGJames »

As an adult I have to rant about the zoo a bit. I'm pretty disappointed by a lot of the changes.

The new Africa is pretty nice. It's the rest of the changes that suck. And whoever designed the new parking lot should be shot. (My friend that used to work there told me it was designed personally by the zoo director who has no traffic flow experience, and he's also in charge of making all this outdoor stuff)

A giant outdoor water area. Hello, we're in Nebraska. In can only be on for a 4-5 months a year. It's also huge and could have been used for something else. The new giant children's park area also seems the same way. Good for the summer, but awful for the rest of the year. Also the zoo seems to be moving towards more and more microtransactions. Sting Rays, Camel Riding, giraffe feeding, and soon that outdoor amphitheater?

Meanwhile, they've removed some of my favorite animals. Mostly the north american river otters, and the African wild dogs. The river otters were probably the most depressing removal. They're one of the only animals that is highly active in the winter too. I once watched them play hockey with chunks of ice in their exhibit.

I honestly don't know why we don't embrace more cold weather compatible animals, so the zoo isn't completely empty during the winter. River Otters, beavers, Arctic Foxes, Ermines, wolverines, etc.

I did see the fact that they're going to have a lot more outdoor exhibits for the big cats, so that'll be nice.
cp jay 07
Human Relations

Post by cp jay 07 »

TLGJames wrote:Meanwhile, they've removed some of my favorite animals. Mostly the north american river otters, and the African wild dogs. The river otters were probably the most depressing removal. They're one of the only animals that is highly active in the winter too. I once watched them play hockey with chunks of ice in their exhibit.
Sadly one of the River Otters passed away and that is what led to the River Otters being taken off display and replaced with the African Penguins. I read that the surviving River Otter was sent to another zoo as they do not live well alone.