2016 U.S. Swim Trials

Metro area and region sports discussion

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

skinzfan23
City Council

Re: 2016 U.S. Swim Trials

Post by skinzfan23 »

Saw this last night after the game and wondered what they were in the dark. I wish they would clean up some of the seaweed that is growing in the water though.
On Thursday, a 26-by-14-foot LED screen will be installed near the park’s archway next to its slides. The screen will broadcast a live feed of the trials each day. Additionally, the screen will feature tweets and Instagram posts from around the downtown area.
High school swimmers take to Gene Leahy Mall lagoon – kind of – to promote U.S. Olympic Swim Trials

Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

That is awesome they will have a screen with a live feed. Hopefully capital district will have a giant screen like the cube in Lincoln so that they can take over this type of thing in the future.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Aerial of the Giant Swimmer at Mutual:
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Looks like they also have some banners on the south building as well, or are those something different?
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

skinzfan23 wrote:Looks like they also have some banners on the south building as well, or are those something different?
Good catch. Looks like it says "Celebrate Swim - Event 2016". ?
choke
Human Relations

Post by choke »

Coyote wrote:
skinzfan23 wrote:Looks like they also have some banners on the south building as well, or are those something different?
Good catch. Looks like it says "Celebrate Swim - Event 2016". ?

They do have pics on the south building. The Marriott Courtyard downtown has window coverings on the north side of the building. Everyone was gawking at the camera crews and the CenturyLink swimming decor as they were going to the CWS game on Friday night. These two events overlapping worked out good for Omaha. People were very interested on what was going on at the Clink.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

I will post them up, I took photos of the other stuff that night I did the Orlando tribute photos.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Here are the other two at Mutual:

BRoss
IT Director

Post by BRoss »

I feel like the city has gone all out this year. There's even a SWIM sign in the courtyard at the TDA HQ.
BRoss
IT Director

Post by BRoss »

In Omaha, U.S. swimming trials have grown into a massive, pyrotechnic spectacle
Dave Sheinin, The Washington Post wrote:The arena now called CenturyLink Center hosts Creighton University basketball games, professional wrestling tours, concerts, rodeos and the annual meeting of Berkshire Hathaway shareholders. But every four years, about six weeks before the Summer Olympics, they build a giant platform over the bottom rows of the lower bowl, construct a pair of swimming pools above the arena floor, fill them with two million gallons of water, then invite around 1,800 of the best swimmers in America to jump in and chase down a dream.

For those eight days of the quadrennial U.S. Olympic Swimming Trials — the 2016 edition of which begins Sunday — the arena effectively becomes The House That Michael Built.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

FYI-

Uffda- I removed your link post because Paperstacks already posted that story link the day before..

Thanks! :) ...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
Uffda
County Board

Post by Uffda »

Omaha Cowboy wrote:FYI-

Uffda- I removed your link post because Paperstacks already posted that story link the day before..

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Actually I think my post was pointing out the quote I've article he posted about the swim trials wanting to come again in 4 yrs but there was going to be a large overlap with cws. But that's ok
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Uffda wrote:
Omaha Cowboy wrote:FYI-

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Actually I think my post was pointing out the quote I've article he posted about the swim trials wanting to come again in 4 yrs but there was going to be a large overlap with cws. But that's ok
I gotcha. Sorry about that. Feel free to repost it if you'd like :thumb: ...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

2016 attendance: 197,892
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

Coyote wrote:2016 attendance: 197,892
So...when do we begin to debate this number with anecdotal evidence of "how it looked on TV" and "This number was based on tickets sold, not butts in the seats" and how the fact that we didn't eclipse 200k that this is the beginning of the end?
No posts exist for this topic
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

Up from 167,000 in 2012. That is impressive.
GRANDPASMUCKER
Human Relations

Post by GRANDPASMUCKER »

MadMartin8 wrote:
So...when do we begin to debate this number with anecdotal evidence of "how it looked on TV" and "This number was based on tickets sold, not butts in the seats" and how the fact that we didn't eclipse 200k that this is the beginning of the end?

Lets keep it simple and cut the "We" and any comparisons to the CWS out of the debate right off the bat. The beginning was when Mutual Of Omaha became a huge major corporate sponsor of Olympic Swimming and I would suspect it will end when and if Mutual Of Omaha ends their massive donations to Olympic swimming. I await to be told I'm an idiot. :lafcry:
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

GRANDPASMUCKER wrote:
MadMartin8 wrote:

Lets keep it simple and cut the "We" and any comparisons to the CWS out of the debate right off the bat. The beginning was when Mutual Of Omaha became a huge major corporate sponsor of Olympic Swimming and I would suspect it will end when and if Mutual Of Omaha ends their massive donations to Olympic swimming. I await to be told I'm an idiot. :lafcry:
Well, Mutual of Omaha is one of 12 "huge major corporate" sponsors. I'd suspect it would take more than Mutual pulling out before we see this "beginning of the end".. See the corporate partner link for USA Swimming below-

http://www.usaswimming.org/DesktopDefau ... ow&Lang=en

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

Omaha Cowboy wrote:
GRANDPASMUCKER wrote:
MadMartin8 wrote:

Well, Mutual of Omaha is one of 12 "huge major corporate" sponsors. I'd suspect it would take more than Mutual pulling out before we see this "beginning of the end".. See the corporate partner link for USA Swimming below-

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Please note that I was being blatantly sarcastic. Can't believe that wasn't obvious.
No posts exist for this topic
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

MadMartin8 wrote:
Omaha Cowboy wrote:
GRANDPASMUCKER wrote:
MadMartin8 wrote:

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Please note that I was being blatantly sarcastic. Can't believe that wasn't obvious.
Your sarcasm was duly noted..

My response was directed toward GRANDPA's assertion if MofO cuts ties with USA Swimming, Omaha would somehow be cut out of the running for future events. I threw your "beginning of the end" comment in for good measure...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
GRANDPASMUCKER
Human Relations

Post by GRANDPASMUCKER »

I stand by what I said and I know I am right. The Swim Trials would not be here if not for Mutual of Omahas pull.
BRoss
IT Director

Post by BRoss »

GRANDPASMUCKER wrote:I stand by what I said and I know I am right. The Swim Trials would not be here if not for Mutual of Omahas pull.
Maybe in the beginning, but now it can stand here without them.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

HR Paperstacks wrote:
GRANDPASMUCKER wrote:I stand by what I said and I know I am right. The Swim Trials would not be here if not for Mutual of Omahas pull.
Maybe in the beginning, but now it can stand here without them.
Agreed..

Omaha Is and was never entitled to these events due to corporate pull. Omaha won the bid in 2008 and I'll give you that it certainly didn't hurt that one of USA Swimming's 12 corporate sponsors happen to be HQ'd in Omaha.. Again, I'll give you that..

But had Omaha sh!t all over itself in 2008, I can almost assure you Omaha would not have been rewarded a repeat bid, regardless of MofO's "pull"..

Let's not conveniently gloss over the fact that USA Swimming/all involved including the athletes, like it here and love the venue. Omaha earned 2012 and 2016 because of the fantastic job of all involved locally..

In other words- Omaha pulled it off..and better than any city had previously..

You can grandstand all you want, GRANDPA, about being "right".. But that means very little when you take into account the total reality of Omaha EARNING the 2012 and 2016 repeat bids..

In the end, of course, you're entitled to your opinion...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

USA SWIMMING CORPORATE PARTNERS

USA Swimming is exceptionally fortunate to have a strong and committed family of corporate partners. These companies help fund our grassroots initiatives, such as Make a Splash and the Speedo Champions Series, support our National and Olympic Teams as they train and compete around the world, and help USA Swimming reach more kids each and every year.

Next time you are in the market, we hope you will think first of the companies that support our sport!

Arena
AT&T
BMW
Blue Diamond Growers
Cerave
Marriott
Mutual of Omaha
Myrtha Pools
Omega
Phillips 66
Speedo USA
Tyr
Mutual of Omaha has been a sponsor since 2001
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Swim Trials spurred more than $74 million in spending in Omaha — 'a huge economic win' for the city
“With nearly 90 percent of the ticket sales coming from outside Omaha, that means families stayed in hotels, ate in restaurants and supported local businesses, which makes us equally proud,” he said.

Based on the Convention and Visitors Bureau’s economic impact calculator, the total economic impact of the 2016 Swim Trials totaled $74,545,759. Visitors spent $38,109,672 during the eight-day event. That visitor spending multiplied as it trickled through the local economy, adding $36,436,086 in indirect spending and $4,780,824 in local taxes paid.

Creighton University economist Ernie Goss, who was not involved in the Swim Trials study, said its apparent economic impact rivals the annual 12-day College World Series in Omaha. Goss said the 2016 CWS probably had a $60 million to $70 million economic impact on the community, based on past studies that he conducted.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

From the W-H piece:

"Goss said about 60 percent of CWS fans come from outside Nebraska. He argued that categorizing fans as being from Nebraska or outside Nebraska — compared with the Swim Trials study’s Omaha or outside Omaha categories — produces a more rigid test in determining indirect spending."...

I agree with Ernie Goss.. And it echoes what I, and several others have stated, that at least half of the people that attend the CWS annually, are from outside of Nebraska.. Even more so, for the Olympic Swim Trials...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
Spatial77
Home Owners Association

Post by Spatial77 »

Does Omaha bid for the swim trials for 2020?
"Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future." -- Niels Bohr
BRoss
IT Director

Post by BRoss »

Spatial77 wrote:Does Omaha bid for the swim trials for 2020?
Most likely
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Only if they can figure out the logistics, since the Olympics will be earlier in 2020, which would make the trials earlier and would then compete with the CWS. I know St. Louis wants it bad.
Spatial77
Home Owners Association

Post by Spatial77 »

Coyote wrote:
Only if they can figure out the logistics, since the Olympics will be earlier in 2020, which would make the trials earlier and would then compete with the CWS. I know St. Louis wants it bad.
I would imagine several cities would like to get this event. I think Omaha is big enough, and has enough hotel capacity to handle both events. If the new swimming complex Is completed and operating it will add additional opportunities to bring in swim clubs that attend the swim trials.

Omaha continues to reap the benefits of hosting the trials as the city has gotten almost nightly prime time mentions during the Olympic swim events.
"Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future." -- Niels Bohr
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

And that's a wrap for Phelps, 23 Gold, 28 Total... "IT" he really does retire.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

I wonder how many times they mentioned Omaha (and never adding 'Nebraska') and how much this added recognition means to the marketing of Omaha's brand.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Coyote wrote:I wonder how many times they mentioned Omaha (and never adding 'Nebraska') and how much this added recognition means to the marketing of Omaha's brand.
Not sure the number, but it was a lot. Just in casual conversation they would drop it, like "back when we were in Omaha".
GRANDPASMUCKER
Human Relations

Post by GRANDPASMUCKER »

GRANDPASMUCKER wrote:
MadMartin8 wrote:

Lets keep it simple and cut the "We" and any comparisons to the CWS out of the debate right off the bat. The begining was when Mutual Of Omaha became a huge major corporate sponsor of Olympic Swimming and I would suspect it will end when and if Mutual Of Omaha ends their massive donations to Olympic swimming. I await to be told I'm an idiot. :lafcry:

Like I said 6 months ago, without Mutual Of Omaha those Olympic Trials would have never been here. Front page of the paper today said that Mutual Of Omaha has withdrawn its sponsorship of Olympic Swimming. Goodbye 2020 Olympic time trials in Omaha. :hi: Truth be known, behind the curtains they were telling Mutual Of Omaha that it was going to cost them a few more millions in donations if they wanted to keep the Olympic Trials in Omaha for 2020. For legal and ethical reasons they cant tell us thats what happened but yeah thats what happened. I'm betting we seen the last of the Olympic Time Trials. Im pretty sure Mutual told them they would sponsor them again if they bring the trials here in 2020 and dont raise the donation amount. Problem with that is that there must be another donor lined up to donate what they are asking for. Second chance of getting the swim trials back is if Warren ponies up the loot through one of his companies like Phillips 66.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

GRANDPASMUCKER wrote:
GRANDPASMUCKER wrote:
MadMartin8 wrote:

Lets keep it simple and cut the "We" and any comparisons to the CWS out of the debate right off the bat. The begining was when Mutual Of Omaha became a huge major corporate sponsor of Olympic Swimming and I would suspect it will end when and if Mutual Of Omaha ends their massive donations to Olympic swimming. I await to be told I'm an idiot. :lafcry:

Like I said 6 months ago, without Mutual Of Omaha those Olympic Trials would have never been here. Front page of the paper today said that Mutual Of Omaha has withdrawn its sponsorship of Olympic Swimming. Goodbye 2020 Olympic time trials in Omaha. :hi: Truth be known, behind the curtains they were telling Mutual Of Omaha that it was going to cost them a few more millions in donations if they wanted to keep the Olympic Trials in Omaha for 2020. For legal and ethical reasons they cant tell us thats what happened but yeah thats what happened. I'm betting we seen the last of the Olympic Time Trials. Im pretty sure Mutual told them they would sponsor them again if they bring the trials here in 2020 and dont raise the donation amount. Problem with that is that there must be another donor lined up to donate what they are asking for. Second chance of getting the swim trials back is if Warren ponies up the loot through one of his companies like Phillips 66.
I've got to hand it you..You may end up being ultimately correct on this one. Of course, there is still a chance Omaha will win the bid for 2020 (albeit, I sense those chances just became very slim)..

The events of the past several days with Mutual pulling out of sponsership certainly tilt the scales toward your narrative..and I agree, Warren could be the savior in this if he ponies up the cash...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!