HyVee Business News

News and releases from metro area businesses

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Busguy2010
County Board

Re: HyVee Growth Plans

Post by Busguy2010 »

I am wondering why they've waited so long, and still haven't remodeled the 78th and Cass location. Is this the only one left now that hasn't been upgraded?
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

One of the things I don't like about the Market Grille was when we went to the Plattsmouth store and ordered chinese. We decided to eat it there. We had to wait to be seated and they serve you like a regular restaurant. They kept pushing other appetizers and side items. I explained that we only wanted to sit down and eat the chinese food, which we had already paid for. The waitress also kept coming back like she deserved a large tip when all she did was grab us 2 waters. I wish they still had a dining area where you could sit and not be bothered. She seemed so dissapointed because she couldn't upsell us on something else.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Busguy2010 wrote:I am wondering why they've waited so long, and still haven't remodeled the 78th and Cass location. Is this the only one left now that hasn't been upgraded?
I think this was the last store to get remodeled with the old style. It wasn't that long ago that they added the Large wine and spirits, may be one of the first stores to have the new style wine and spirits. At that time they also added the large health food area and the newer larger pharmacy with the clinic office in it.
WBR_Tom
Home Owners Association

Post by WBR_Tom »

Coyote wrote:Applewood was their first area renovation into this. Someone can correct me though, but Applewood has had the most major renovations in town.
Yep, the Applewood/96th & Q store is the first (and only, so far) one in Omaha to get the Market Grille reno. I'd be surprised if there was a HyVee in Omaha with more extensive renovations; they gutted the structure to the point where it's barely recognizable as the same building inside. The original building didn't have a separate liquor store, and had a much smaller footprint. They finally tore down the old Amoco gas station in the parking lot that had been retrofitted into a miniature HyVee Gas earlier this year, as well, and built a brand new HyVee Gas store.

I like the Market Grille concept, but of the half-dozen times we've eaten at the Applewood one at various times of the day, it's never been terribly busy. Maybe we just catch it on slow days.
Trips
Library Board

Post by Trips »

HyVee in Lincoln on 27th and Superior is adding 8 Tesla Superchargers. Adding charging stations seem like a great fit for them as it normally takes 30-45 minutes to charge a Tesla from 0-100.

I think this a a great fit for HyVee and hopefully them keep expanding these to other locations.
Omaha_corn_burner
Human Relations

Post by Omaha_corn_burner »

Trips wrote:HyVee in Lincoln on 27th and Superior is adding 8 Tesla Superchargers. Adding charging stations seem like a great fit for them as it normally takes 30-45 minutes to charge a Tesla from 0-100.

I think this a a great fit for HyVee and hopefully them keep expanding these to other locations.
http://www.teslarati.com/nebraskas-firs ... ket-chain/
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

choke wrote:
RockHarbor wrote:
nebugeater wrote:The OWH did an interview with the HyVee CEO

Couple items to note.
HyVee is open to building a smaller store in the Downtown area much like they have being built in Des Moines. I read it as they are actively looking for the right fit.

There will be two more full size stores in the Omaha market in the near term

There is a new store opening in Urbandale that will be 100 % dedicated to the On line ordering program they have and will not be open to shoppers. I would take this as a sign that the delivery service is working

http://www.omaha.com/money/downtown-hy- ... 4c164.html
Cool! I love the idea of a more urban Hy-Vee. And, yes, their delivery service is awesome, I hear. They are very reasonable, I hear.
I would like to see Baker's downtown. That is about as close to an "Omaha" grocery store as you can get. I know it's owned by Kroger/Dillons now but the name is still Omaha based.

I would look at HyVee as more of a local store than Bakers. HyVee is a regional chain that is employee owned. Not so much with Bakers / Kroger.
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

From the Des Moines Register:
Hy-Vee debuts Des Moines clothing boutique
British clothing company F&F will make its Des Moines debut Thursday in the Fleur Drive Hy-Vee grocery store...While there are a handful in Minnesota, Hy-Vee is looking at putting them into stores in the Omaha market, she said.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

skinzfan23 wrote:From the Des Moines Register:
Hy-Vee debuts Des Moines clothing boutique
British clothing company F&F will make its Des Moines debut Thursday in the Fleur Drive Hy-Vee grocery store...While there are a handful in Minnesota, Hy-Vee is looking at putting them into stores in the Omaha market, she said.
This is interesting. Thanks for the share...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
Ben
Human Relations

Post by Ben »

Another interesting rumor about hyvee. Apparently the delivery business is going gangbusters, and the local stores are having a hard time keeping up with picking all of these orders. Rumor is that they will transition all of their delivery services to a centralized warehouse somewhere in the metro area.

I would assume the pick-up business will still be run at a local store level...
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Ben wrote:Another interesting rumor about hyvee. Apparently the delivery business is going gangbusters, and the local stores are having a hard time keeping up with picking all of these orders. Rumor is that they will transition all of their delivery services to a centralized warehouse somewhere in the metro area.

They have recently completed a Delivery only location in Des Moines for this exact purpose. I think it was posted on here when I first read about it but I haven't looked yet to see if was or if I just think it was.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

nebugeater wrote:
Ben wrote:Another interesting rumor about hyvee. Apparently the delivery business is going gangbusters, and the local stores are having a hard time keeping up with picking all of these orders. Rumor is that they will transition all of their delivery services to a centralized warehouse somewhere in the metro area.

They have recently completed a Delivery only location in Des Moines for this exact purpose. I think it was posted on here when I first read about it but I haven't looked yet to see if was or if I just think it was.

OK Stand up and tack credit for a Brain Fart Moment. It is covered for DM in the first post of this thread .... and I POSTED IT..... :banghead:
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

nebugeater wrote:
nebugeater wrote:They have recently completed a Delivery only location in Des Moines for this exact purpose. I think it was posted on here when I first read about it but I haven't looked yet to see if was or if I just think it was.
OK Stand up and tack credit for a Brain Fart Moment. It is covered for DM in the first post of this thread .... and I POSTED IT..... :banghead:
Hey, that was a whole 5 months ago. :shrug:
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Coyote wrote:
nebugeater wrote:
nebugeater wrote:They have recently completed a Delivery only location in Des Moines for this exact purpose. I think it was posted on here when I first read about it but I haven't looked yet to see if was or if I just think it was.
Hey, that was a whole 5 months ago. :shrug:
YOu can only begin to guess how crazy those 5 months have been too with the job change......
garyomaha
Home Owners Association

Post by garyomaha »

lmdramos wrote:Does anyone know why they still haven't renovated the 78th and Cass stores despite it being one of the most trafficked in Omaha and be slated for renovation like a year ago?
We were told by staff when the gas station was being built there that remodeling would soon follow. The gas station is -- what? -- two years old now. No remodeling in sight. After visiting some west Omaha Hy-Vees, it does look a bit tired. Plus, it badly needs a new produce manager (oops, did I say that out loud?)
Uffda
County Board

Post by Uffda »

Was up in Sioux Falls during Thanksgiving --- went into a HyVee to get some wine for Thanksgiving dinner and came across this ---- NE definitely needs to change their beer distribution laws.

Trips
Library Board

Post by Trips »

What am I looking at here? Can you bring in your growler and fill it up from whatever they have on tap? Is this only legal at breweries in Nebraska?
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Trips wrote:What am I looking at here? Can you bring in your growler and fill it up from whatever they have on tap? Is this only legal at breweries in Nebraska?
I forgot nebugeater and I were talking about this on facebook. Yes, in SoDak you only need a retailers license to fill any growler with beer. In Nebraska you need a BrewPub license and can only use a growler stamped with the BrewPubs Label.
yellowcolumbia
Home Owners Association

Post by yellowcolumbia »

Coyote wrote:
Trips wrote:What am I looking at here? Can you bring in your growler and fill it up from whatever they have on tap? Is this only legal at breweries in Nebraska?
I forgot nebugeater and I were talking about this on facebook. Yes, in SoDak you only need a retailers license to fill any growler with beer. In Nebraska you need a BrewPub license and can only use a growler stamped with the BrewPubs Label.
Under the new law, any retailers in Nebraska with the typical class c liquor license can get a growler endorsement. With that they can fill containers up to 32 ounces. The containers must have some sort of mark identifying the retailer, and a means to verify the seal has not been tampered with.
That's why crowlers are popping up at various places. It easy to put the sticker on a can, and once it's open, there's no resealing it.
WBR_Tom
Home Owners Association

Post by WBR_Tom »

The Papillion store at Shadow Lake is getting a something called a "Market Grille Express." I was curious what that meant, so I talked to the manager last night when I was in there, and he said it will be similar to the Market Grille at the 96th & Q and Plattsmouth stores, but with a smaller menu.

Reno starts next Monday -- February 6 -- with an eight-week timeframe to completion.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Stonybrook is under renovation as is the one at MotB.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Coyote wrote:Stonybrook is under renovation as is the one at MotB.
So is 90th and Center and 50th and Center.
Ryan_Huskers
New to the Neighborhood

Post by Ryan_Huskers »

108th and Fort is as well.
Omaha_corn_burner
Human Relations

Post by Omaha_corn_burner »

More info on the Market Grille [sic]

http://www.omaha.com/money/hy-vee-s-new ... 0588e.html
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

'Feels like Black Friday.' Shoppers line up for opening of new Hy-Vee

http://www.desmoinesregister.com/story/ ... /98485580/
Des Moines Register wrote:The much-anticipated Fourth + Court Hy-Vee grocery store in downtown Des Moines opened at 6 a.m. today, with giveaways and specials for the first 1,000 people coming into the store.
Des Moines Register wrote:There’s a Starbucks cafe, a dry-aged beef case, custom soda station, fresh flowers, smoothie station and a spot to fill beer growlers.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Ryan_Huskers wrote:108th and Fort is as well.
For Sell for $11.5M
choke
Human Relations

Post by choke »

Coyote wrote:
For Sell for $11.5M
For Sale? My wife works there.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

choke wrote:
Coyote wrote:
For Sell for $11.5M
Sorry, but it is on the Market... See if she knows anything...
choke
Human Relations

Post by choke »

Coyote wrote:
choke wrote:
Coyote wrote:
For Sell for $11.5M
They are in the middle of putting the Market Express Grille in. Wow.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

image.jpeg
image.jpeg (22.03 KiB) Viewed 11755 times
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Which location is that?
Mr.Nuke
Human Relations

Post by Mr.Nuke »

choke wrote:
Coyote wrote:
choke wrote:
Coyote wrote:
For Sell for $11.5M
They are in the middle of putting the Market Express Grille in. Wow.
They're selling it, but it also looks like Hy-Vee is essentially guaranteeing they'll stay there for 10 years.
GRANDPASMUCKER
Human Relations

Post by GRANDPASMUCKER »

Coyote wrote:
image.jpeg

That could be a pretty smart move. Hy-Vee gets 11 million cash now and they get to squeeze 10 last years out of that location before possibly maybe that neighborhood gets a little too seedy for comfort. This way they don't run the risk of having to try to sell that property 10 years from now in a blighted area. Its a safe and smart move if you can find someone with the 11 million that will agree to do it.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Stoneybrook's Market Grille Express opens March 16.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Have read in the recent past where HyVee is going to be testing selling some limited clothing in stores. Here is a story that says that two Omaha and Two Lincoln locations will be getting this soon.

Omaha
14591 Stony Brook Blvd.
1000 S. 178th St

Lincoln
1601 N. 84th St.
6001 Village Drive

http://www.omaha.com/money/hy-vee-is-ad ... e22f1.html
lbmom5
New to the Neighborhood

Post by lbmom5 »

Daughter works for HyVee-corporate just finished a layoff off 100 at corporate level-after a terrible first quarter. First layoffs in company history, with new CEO. The new Marketplace Cafes are not doing as well as expected and now opening in the Minneapolis market... Daughter is very disappointed in the company.
NEDodger
Parks & Recreation

Post by NEDodger »

That doesn't surprise me. Every time I look at the cafe/bar at 108th and Fort, it's dead. They really had a good business going with just having people eat what each of their deli/Chinese/kitchen places were serving. No need to mess with that.
TheSeventhBrat
Home Owners Association

Post by TheSeventhBrat »

lbmom5 wrote:Daughter works for HyVee-corporate just finished a layoff off 100 at corporate level-after a terrible first quarter. First layoffs in company history, with new CEO. The new Marketplace Cafes are not doing as well as expected and now opening in the Minneapolis market... Daughter is very disappointed in the company.
I work for a competitor and I'm sorry to hear about the layoffs. We had 55 people at our division office accept early retirement. Those jobs are being eliminated and the duties are being picked up by others (without any wage/salary adjustments).
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

http://rebusinessonline.com/hy-vee-inc- ... -nebraska/
Hy-Vee Inc. has signed a 115,560-square-foot industrial lease in Omaha. The 185,000-square-foot building, located at 11651 S. 154th St., is now fully leased. Other tenants include Blackhawk Industrial Distribution Inc. and Tire Operations LLC. Hy-Vee will use the space as a warehouse as well as a central kitchen to supply its fresh food items to surrounding stores.
RockHarbor
Planning Board

Post by RockHarbor »

skinzfan23 wrote:One of the things I don't like about the Market Grille was when we went to the Plattsmouth store and ordered chinese. We decided to eat it there. We had to wait to be seated and they serve you like a regular restaurant. They kept pushing other appetizers and side items. I explained that we only wanted to sit down and eat the chinese food, which we had already paid for. The waitress also kept coming back like she deserved a large tip when all she did was grab us 2 waters. I wish they still had a dining area where you could sit and not be bothered. She seemed so dissapointed because she couldn't upsell us on something else.
I agree. I don't think it's necessarily a good business decision -- at least for all their stores. They have a successful, crowd-pleasing business model that shouldn't be messed with too much. It's interesting having some HyVees w/ that special restaurant, but again, not all of them. I went to the Stony Brook HyVee, and ordered soup from the Chinese restaurant, and I had to eat it at a table & chairs all thrown & squeezed in by the deli. It was uncomfortable, as carts were being pushed all around me, and lines were forming at counters. It's like everybody buying cut meat & a container of macaroni salad were able to watch me slurp down my soup -- right next to them. And, if I walk into the new restaurant w/ my food, I feel kinda odd, almost like I'm the "annoying guest that brought his own lunch", or the "cheap one who doesn't want to tip", and I'm taking up a potential money-making table. I just don't think people want to go into every HyVee and feel that -- if they order a sit-down meal from the deli or pizza place or Chinese. Not a good business decision, imo. I've even thought: "WHAT are they thinking??" (It's almost like when you order a meal at the Wal-Mart deli, and you try & sit in the Subway to eat it, and in a nice way they communicate to you "Get out. You didn't order our food. We don't want you here." I've literally ate my chicken dinner from the Wal-Mart deli on my lap, sitting on a wall bench by the registers, near a Subway w/ mostly empty tables, after being kicked out of Subway. At least HyVee's restaurant doesn't kick you out.)
I can get pushed out because I'm "too much" for some. Then, an observer of me comes suddenly swooping in to "fill my shoes." People are always more accepting of the new one, because their feathers aren't truly ruffled by them. (Yawn) I can count on it every time.