Sorenson Park Plaza

West Omaha, Sarpy and Nebraska metro counties.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

GetUrban
Planning Board

Re: Sorenson Park Plaza

Post by GetUrban »

Noticed this morning that the Office Max/Depot at Sorensen Plaza is advertising a 30% off Closing Sale. Bummer. That area has just never filled-in like other shopping areas out west. What they really need is a HyVee as an anchor, but that doesn't seem too likely with a 15,000 traffic count at the 72nd & Sorensen intersection. I heard a few years ago the developer of the Bakers at 72nd and Ames begged the city to not let a grocery store go in at Sorensen Plaza...hard to believe.
He said "They are some big, ugly red brick buildings"
...and then they were gone.
Uffda
County Board

Post by Uffda »

I noticed as I drove by last night that it looks like Applebee's is all boarded up. Not sure when that happened.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

I did not notice Applebee's.

With the merger of Office Max and Office Depot you will see other locations closing too.

Too bad that Target was not a SuperTarget, that would have helped. Right after that and Crossroads Target opened, Target started moving more towards SuperTargets over regular ones. They were actually behind Wal Mart on the commitment.

Greg
bbinks
Parks & Recreation

Post by bbinks »

Greg S wrote:I did not notice Applebee's.

With the merger of Office Max and Office Depot you will see other locations closing too.

Too bad that Target was not a SuperTarget, that would have helped. Right after that and Crossroads Target opened, Target started moving more towards SuperTargets over regular ones. They were actually behind Wal Mart on the commitment.

Greg
Target is moving away from the Super concept. They use a normal target with limited grocery selection now. Basically a hadnful of produce and meats, milk, and limited frozen and dairy items. Crossroads and Sorenson utilize the new prototype.
swinquest
Home Owners Association

Post by swinquest »

Uffda wrote:I noticed as I drove by last night that it looks like Applebee's is all boarded up. Not sure when that happened.
I saw that last night. It is too bad that this area is not more developed. There is so much potential!! Many stores have closed. I was honestly shocked that Target was not on the list of 13 to close that was announced earlier this week.

Which store will be next???
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

bbinks wrote:

Greg
Target is moving away from the Super concept. They use a normal target with limited grocery selection now. Basically a hadnful of produce and meats, milk, and limited frozen and dairy items. Crossroads and Sorenson utilize the new prototype.
I see that they aren't opening SuperTargets this year. Are the ones at Crossroads and Sorensen around 140,000 square feet?

Greg
bbinks
Parks & Recreation

Post by bbinks »

Greg S wrote:
bbinks wrote:

Greg
I see that they aren't opening SuperTargets this year. Are the ones at Crossroads and Sorensen around 140,000 square feet?

Greg
Crossroads is small, 92,000, Sorenson is 120,000.

132nd & Maple is over 200,000
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

Crossroads and Sorensen are just regular Targets, not Super Targets.
Verbum Domini Manet in Aeternum
bbinks
Parks & Recreation

Post by bbinks »

jessep28 wrote:Crossroads and Sorensen are just regular Targets, not Super Targets.
Crossroads and Sorenson are "P-Fresh" prototypes. Limited grocery fresh,frozen, and refrigerated items. Regular Targets did not have this.
GetUrban
Planning Board

Post by GetUrban »

I noticed heavy equipment moving dirt on the outlot south of Burger king and north of Panda Express at Sorenson Park Plaza. No signs yet, but maybe it's the rumored Chick-Fil-A starting construction. :banana:
swinquest
Home Owners Association

Post by swinquest »

GetUrban wrote:I noticed heavy equipment moving dirt on the outlot south of Burger king and north of Panda Express at Sorenson Park Plaza. No signs yet, but maybe it's the rumored Chick-Fil-A starting construction. :banana:
Not a Chick-Fil-A so I would prefer to see something else go here. This development is still in major need of help.
choke
Human Relations

Post by choke »

swinquest wrote:
GetUrban wrote:I noticed heavy equipment moving dirt on the outlot south of Burger king and north of Panda Express at Sorenson Park Plaza. No signs yet, but maybe it's the rumored Chick-Fil-A starting construction. :banana:
Not a Chick-Fil-A so I would prefer to see something else go here. This development is still in major need of help.
I have heard Chick-Fil-A was going to build in this area some time ago. This is fine with me. I live over here and I like Chick-Fil-A now and then. Better than KFC by a long shot.
bbinks
Parks & Recreation

Post by bbinks »

Building permit is for a Chick-Fil-A

https://www.omahapermits.com/PermitInfo ... nspection=
Uffda
County Board

Post by Uffda »

bbinks wrote:Building permit is for a Chick-Fil-A

https://www.omahapermits.com/PermitInfo ... nspection=

:banana: :banger: :yes:
GetUrban
Planning Board

Post by GetUrban »

Looked like the framing crew was finally there this morning to start framing-up the Chick-Fil-A at Sorenson Park Plaza. It's just been a concrete slab with utilities stubbed up for the last month or so...
GRANDPASMUCKER
Human Relations

Post by GRANDPASMUCKER »

GetUrban wrote:Looked like the framing crew was finally there this morning to start framing-up the Chick-Fil-A at Sorenson Park Plaza. It's just been a concrete slab with utilities stubbed up for the last month or so...

I ate at the Golden Coral in this shopping center last Friday. I had heard that this place was slipping fast and it appeared to be the case. I was there at 12:30 on a Friday before a holiday weekend and there was no line and the place was 1/4 full at best. Friends of mine who live out there in the hood have been telling me for months that this Golden Coral is being poorly ran as of late and its true.
swinquest
Home Owners Association

Post by swinquest »

GRANDPASMUCKER wrote:
GetUrban wrote:Looked like the framing crew was finally there this morning to start framing-up the Chick-Fil-A at Sorenson Park Plaza. It's just been a concrete slab with utilities stubbed up for the last month or so...

I ate at the Golden Coral in this shopping center last Friday. I had heard that this place was slipping fast and it appeared to be the case. I was there at 12:30 on a Friday before a holiday weekend and there was no line and the place was 1/4 full at best. Friends of mine who live out there in the hood have been telling me for months that this Golden Coral is being poorly ran as of late and its true.
I will have to agree with you. We have noticed that service has gone way down. There are a few times where the parking lot is full, but I doubt that we will eat at this location again.
bbinks
Parks & Recreation

Post by bbinks »

swinquest wrote:
GRANDPASMUCKER wrote:

I will have to agree with you. We have noticed that service has gone way down. There are a few times where the parking lot is full, but I doubt that we will eat at this location again.
Wasn't the whole premise of closing 90th & Boyd was to get better market on Sorenson?
GRANDPASMUCKER
Human Relations

Post by GRANDPASMUCKER »

bbinks wrote:
swinquest wrote:
GRANDPASMUCKER wrote:

Wasn't the whole premise of closing 90th & Boyd was to get better market on Sorenson?

Golden Corals are franchises and I'm pretty sure these 2 locations were not owned by the same entity. A better market sure was not going to be obtained by moving further East from 90th. A better market would of been 156th & Maple or 180th & Center.
GetUrban
Planning Board

Post by GetUrban »

I've never eaten at a Golden Corral, so I can't comment on the service or quality of food. The Panda Express at Sorenson went through a phase where service and quality dropped significantly for a few months. It would take 15 minutes to get through the drive-through. But they seem to have worked through whatever staffing/management problems they were having and have improved dramatically, recently.

I drive-by that stretch of 72nd every day and am always surprised how many people are at Golden Corral....it's kind of like the WalMart of casual dining I guess. I'll have to see if it looks any less crowded now.

People east of 90th Street have to eat too, so I think there will always be a market at places like Sorenson Park Plaza.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

GetUrban wrote:I drive-by that stretch of 72nd every day and am always surprised how many people are at Golden Corral....it's kind of like the WalMart of casual dining I guess.
Interesting choice of words there. This remark made me smile because I have a friend who ALWAYS references Cheddar's as the "Walmart of casual dining".. True story :) ...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
GetUrban
Planning Board

Post by GetUrban »

Omaha Cowboy wrote:
GetUrban wrote:I drive-by that stretch of 72nd every day and am always surprised how many people are at Golden Corral....it's kind of like the WalMart of casual dining I guess.
Interesting choice of words there. This remark made me smile because I have a friend who ALWAYS references Cheddar's as the "Walmart of casual dining".. True story :) ...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
I didn't mean it as a slam of people who like to eat there....just an observation of the popularity. I hope they are able to turn things around, as I'd hate to see another business fail at that location. They already lost Applebees and Office Max/Depot. I think Chick-Fil-A will do well there. Some people's perceptions of the general area, as being as place to avoid, are way off base in my opinion.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

GetUrban wrote:
Omaha Cowboy wrote:

Ciao..LiO...Peace
I didn't mean it as a slam of people who like to eat there....just an observation of the popularity.
I've eaten at both places and I wasn't offended, lol. I just have a buddy who uses the exact same wording to describe Cheddar's.. He can't stand that place for whatever reason..

In all seriousness, I think you're correct. Sorenson gets a bad rap and it is unfair.. Especially for a development that is still relatively new. I remember the early days of this forum when the development was rounding out its completion; and we discussed how positive a development it was (and is) for an under-served area of the city..

In addition, I also think the Chick Fil A will crush at this location..as it has everywhere else in the metro...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
Uffda
County Board

Post by Uffda »

GetUrban wrote:
I didn't mean it as a slam of people who like to eat there....just an observation of the popularity. I hope they are able to turn things around, as I'd hate to see another business fail at that location. They already lost Applebees and Office Max/Depot. I think Chick-Fil-A will do well there. Some people's perceptions of the general area, as being as place to avoid, are way off base in my opinion.
Yes I don't know why people think that either. I have lived just off 78th and Sorensen since the fall of 2003 and this area has grown with the new housing just to the west. I will say I have never eaten at the Golden Corral or gone to the movie theater but I have visited the stores.

I have been surprised not much has filled in the buildings in the middle of the parking lot. And I was surprised AppleBees boarded up the building.

Looking forward to Chick Fil A opening up and will agree Panda Express seems to have improved their service (although I don't do the drive thru).
GRANDPASMUCKER
Human Relations

Post by GRANDPASMUCKER »

Uffda wrote:
GetUrban wrote:
Yes I don't know why people think that either. I have lived just off 78th and Sorensen since the fall of 2003 and this area has grown with the new housing just to the west. I will say I have never eaten at the Golden Corral or gone to the movie theater but I have visited the stores.

I have been surprised not much has filled in the buildings in the middle of the parking lot. And I was surprised AppleBees boarded up the building.

Looking forward to Chick Fil A opening up and will agree Panda Express seems to have improved their service (although I don't do the drive thru).
Ive been told the shop lifting problem at Big Lots is atrocious and may be unsustainable at current levels.
GetUrban
Planning Board

Post by GetUrban »

At least the Target seems to be doing well enough. It's not as busy as the 72nd & Dodge one, but Sorenson is so much easier to get in and out of that it's worth the time to go there if you live up that way. What they really need at Sorenson Park Plaza is a new HyVee. That would help boost the other businesses so people could combine shopping trips in one center. I don't think it gets enough traffic to work for HyVee though. 15K cars/day at 72nd/Sorenson, IIRC.

Chick-Fil-A was all sheathed-in yesterday...coming together real fast now.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Auction
Starting Bid: $2,500,000
Bidding: This property will be auctioned on 09/21/2016 9:00 AM PST
Auction Location: Ten-X.com

Investment Highlights:
• 178,686 SF, 77% Occupied, Target Shadow-Anchored Center in Omaha, NE
• Anchored by Marshalls, Big Lots, PetSmart, & Party City which Combine for 47% of GLA
• Significant Upside Through Leasing 40,814 SF Vacancy at Market Rates
• Includes 3 Developable Outparcels with Excellent Street Frontage Plus 5.79 Acre Site in Front of Theater
• TIF In Place Through 2019 with Estimated TIF Income of $2,712,732 for 2017-2019 (See Page 23)
• Potential to Develop 70,000 SF of Inline GLA Between PetsSmart and Allstate Insurance
• Forecasted Population Growth of 8.4% in 1-Mi by 2019
• Occupied by Several Other National Retailers including Famous Footwear, Rue21, Allstate, US Armed Forces, Sally Beauty, and H&R Block
• Projected Original Project Cost of $48,000,000; Currently Assessed Upwards of $20,500,000
• Many Leases Currently on Cheap Percentage Rent Deals Allowing for Future Rent Growth Once Stabilized
• Ability to Increase PetSmart Annual Rent to $290,261 via Developing 40,000 SF of Inline Space Adjacent to PetSmart (PetSmart Base Rent Currently Abated, Still Paying NNN’s)
• Dense Trade Area: 9,000 Residents in 1-Mi, 77,000 in 3-Mi, & 195,000 in 5-Mi
• Nearly All Current Tenants Reimburse for NNN Expenses
• Newer Roofs with Warranties Still In Place
• 19,430 Cars/Day at N 72nd Plaza & Crown Pointe Ave
Uffda
County Board

Post by Uffda »

Interesting
choke
Human Relations

Post by choke »

Don't know if that is bad or good. They are finally starting to grade the land off of 52nd and Sorenson. I though things were gonna be looking up for my area. I hope Sorenson Plaza can sustain.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Sorenson Park Plaza is presently owned by Kimco Realty out of New Hyde Park, NY, which developed Metro Crossing in Council Bluffs, which was just bought in July by Pine Tree out of Northbrook, IL. Looking at their profile, they look healthy surviving the 2009 depression when the bottom fell out of the commercial real estate market
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (49.41 KiB) Viewed 3226 times
So my guess is that they are divesting in the Omaha/Council Bluffs area, as they announced last month:
Kimco’s Q2 marked another step toward our 2020 Vision. Our strategy continues to rely on quality assets with long and short-term growth in key demographic areas. Over the first half of 2016, Kimco reduced joint ventures and non-core market ownership while strengthening our U.S. portfolio through key acquisitions as well as development and redevelopment projects.
OmahaJaysCU
Planning Board

Post by OmahaJaysCU »

That and a bunch of the leases roll over soon and it won't be pretty when most don't renew.
DaPho84
New to the Neighborhood

Post by DaPho84 »

choke wrote:Don't know if that is bad or good. They are finally starting to grade the land off of 52nd and Sorenson. I though things were gonna be looking up for my area. I hope Sorenson Plaza can sustain.
Any clue what's going in there? Maybe it's school related, but I hope it's food related. We need more family restaurants. Applebee's needs to reopen. Cheddar's would be awesome. Cheaper food would go over well!
DaPho84
New to the Neighborhood

Post by DaPho84 »

With Shopko closing, Gorman's should move into Sorensen Plaza and bring their business there helping it become a destination location.
choke
Human Relations

Post by choke »

DaPho84 wrote:
choke wrote:Don't know if that is bad or good. They are finally starting to grade the land off of 52nd and Sorenson. I though things were gonna be looking up for my area. I hope Sorenson Plaza can sustain.
Any clue what's going in there? Maybe it's school related, but I hope it's food related. We need more family restaurants. Applebee's needs to reopen. Cheddar's would be awesome. Cheaper food would go over well!
i think it's a Family Dollar and retirement living.
choke
Human Relations

Post by choke »

DaPho84 wrote:With Shopko closing, Gorman's should move into Sorensen Plaza and bring their business there helping it become a destination location.
Gordman's is right behind Shopko. I don't think they got their stocks above a dollar.
bbinks
Parks & Recreation

Post by bbinks »

choke wrote:
DaPho84 wrote:With Shopko closing, Gorman's should move into Sorensen Plaza and bring their business there helping it become a destination location.
Gordman's is right behind Shopko. I don't think they got their stocks above a dollar.
This past Saturday, at 2pm, Gordmans maybe had 10 cars in their lot at the 90th store. No way that store runs a green margin.
Uffda
County Board

Post by Uffda »

bbinks wrote:
choke wrote:
This past Saturday, at 2pm, Gordmans maybe had 10 cars in their lot at the 90th store. No way that store runs a green margin.

Gordmans has let that one go for years. Anytime I have gone on there they had less merchandise than any of the others.
bbinks
Parks & Recreation

Post by bbinks »

Uffda wrote:
bbinks wrote:
choke wrote:

Gordmans has let that one go for years. Anytime I have gone on there they had less merchandise than any of the others.
Standard business model. Keep it around as long as its losses help the balance sheet enough to justify keeping it there. That BK on 103rd and Blair HWY is about the same.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

I think the Applebee's in Sorensen has closed its doors.
choke
Human Relations

Post by choke »

Coyote wrote:I think the Applebee's in Sorensen has closed its doors.
Those doors have been closed now for over a year.