Omaha Area Kmart Discussion

News and releases from metro area businesses

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Brad
City Council

Omaha Area Kmart Discussion

Post by Brad »

I just drove down Maple Street and there are guys out with the store closing signs for the Kmart at 132nd and W. Maple Rd. in Eagle run.
Coyote
City Council

Re: Eagle Run Kmart closing

Post by Coyote »

Brad wrote:I just drove down Maple Street and there are guys out with the store closing signs for the Kmart at 132nd and W. Maple Rd. in Eagle run.
They've been there for over a month now, it was reported in some other thread...
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Coyote wrote:
Brad wrote:I just drove down Maple Street and there are guys out with the store closing signs for the Kmart at 132nd and W. Maple Rd. in Eagle run.
They've been there for over a month now, it was reported in some other thread...
I did a search and didn't see it. Find it and I will merge it.

I wish people would post stuff in the correct thread and stop lumping things in threads where they don't belong. Makes it a lot harder to use the search function...
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

Coyote wrote:
You reported it in the No Frills thread back in September.

http://eomahaforums.com/phpBB/viewtopic ... op#p229096" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Verbum Domini Manet in Aeternum
bbinks
Parks & Recreation

Post by bbinks »

I think their closing date is next week. I'll ask a source and get a definite date.

December 7th is the tentative last day. Store took its last merchandise delivery the last week of October.
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

Back when I was in high school K-Mart was dethroning the American retail giant, Sears. Years later the two companies merged, in a retail version of Dumb and Dumber. My guess is that in less than 5 years these two former giants will be all but forgotten by most American shoppers.
Omababe
Planning Board

Post by Omababe »

bbinks wrote:I think their closing date is next week.   I'll ask a source and get a definite date.

December 7th is the tentative last day. Store took its last merchandise delivery the last week of October.
I would think that they would at least stay open for the holiday season!
cdub
Parks & Recreation

Post by cdub »

The holiday season is no joke for a retailer this size. A lot goes into it and theres no guarantee they will make money. All the stocking and prep and hiring seasonal employees may just not be worth it when they are planning on closing anyway.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Likly has something to do with when the lease is up too.
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Now it sounds like the Millard KMART (Stony Brook) is closing, leaving only the 50th St and CB stores in the Metro
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

Coyote wrote:Now it sounds like the Millard KMART (Stony Brook) is closing, leaving only the 50th St and CB stores in the Metro
Thank god. That place is a mess. I would love to see that end of the building plus the old convenience store leveled and something new put in there.
When fortune smiles on something as violent and ugly as revenge, it seems proof like no other that not only does God exist, you're doing his will.

The Bride
GRANDPASMUCKER
Human Relations

Post by GRANDPASMUCKER »

Coyote wrote:Now it sounds like the Millard KMART (Stony Brook) is closing, leaving only the 50th St and CB stores in the Metro
That stinks I like K-Mart. I have been to K-mart at least 3 times this month already. Sure K-Mart is poorly stocked and ran by total idiots but I have loved for the past 10 years going in that K-mart and having the entire store to myself. Its always peaceful to go walk around in that place. Going to miss em big time. Bad news. :cry:
Last edited by GRANDPASMUCKER on Thu Jan 21, 2016 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GRANDPASMUCKER
Human Relations

Post by GRANDPASMUCKER »

RNcyanide wrote:
Thank god. That place is a mess. I would love to see that end of the building plus the old convenience store leveled and something new put in there.
No this is not good. You got K-mart going and the Supersaver grocery store next door will be closing right behind it. Then whos going to go in that building? That building will sit empty for a decade or two and then they will come in and bull doze it down.
TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board

Post by TitosBuritoBarn »

I'm willing to bet they'll all be gone soon. Kmart has little reason to exist anymore.

I'm hoping this presents an opportunity to redo the whole Stoney Brook center.
"Video game violence is not a new problem. Who could forget in the wake of SimCity how children everywhere took up urban planning." - Stephen Colbert
TheSeventhBrat
Home Owners Association

Post by TheSeventhBrat »

GRANDPASMUCKER wrote:
RNcyanide wrote:
No this is not good. You got K-mart going and the Supersaver grocery store next door will be closing right behind it. Then whos going to go in that building? That building will sit empty for a decade or two and then they will come in and bull doze it down.
Super Saver isn't going anywhere.
GRANDPASMUCKER
Human Relations

Post by GRANDPASMUCKER »

TheSeventhBrat wrote:
GRANDPASMUCKER wrote:
RNcyanide wrote:
Super Saver isn't going anywhere.
You seem to have not noticed that the Hy-Vee right next door now has SuperSaver in the inescapable "sleeper hold" and is slowly choking them out. :yes:
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

One of the attractions that saves SuperSaver is its Meats section. They regularly have deep discounts on all kinds of cuts, and you can get a Boston Button for under $2 a pound. I have a few friends that smoke their own meats and when they go on sale like that they stock up. Also, besides Stoyich, (or Whole Paycheck) can you get freshly made sausages in that variety? I don't go there often, but when I do, it is usually for their meat.
EastCB
Library Board

Post by EastCB »

Coyote wrote:One of the attractions that saves SuperSaver is its Meats section. They regularly have deep discounts on all kinds of cuts, and you can get a Boston Button for under $2 a pound. I have a few friends that smoke their own meats and when they go on sale like that they stock up. Also, besides Stoyich, (or Whole Paycheck) can you get freshly made sausages in that variety? I don't go there often, but when I do, it is usually for their meat.
Yeah, the section is good. I shop for the discounts too. Can really save some money. I also agree on the sausages. Very good selection. I basically shop Fareway and Supersaver. I try to go to HyVee but the prices seem to high for what I buy. Plus the Madison Ave HyVee has the worst parking lot ever. Built on a slope and the carts don't stay put when loading the groceries!
TheSeventhBrat
Home Owners Association

Post by TheSeventhBrat »

EastCB wrote:
Coyote wrote:One of the attractions that saves SuperSaver is its Meats section. They regularly have deep discounts on all kinds of cuts, and you can get a Boston Button for under $2 a pound. I have a few friends that smoke their own meats and when they go on sale like that they stock up. Also, besides Stoyich, (or Whole Paycheck) can you get freshly made sausages in that variety? I don't go there often, but when I do, it is usually for their meat.
Yeah, the section is good. I shop for the discounts too. Can really save some money. I also agree on the sausages. Very good selection. I basically shop Fareway and Supersaver. I try to go to HyVee but the prices seem to high for what I buy. Plus the Madison Ave HyVee has the worst parking lot ever. Built on a slope and the carts don't stay put when loading the groceries!
Super Saver is about the only store that actually cuts all of their own meat in house. They also do not inject their meat with a sodium solution, like another chain who shall remain nameless but has the initials H & V. My old boss still has a package of stew meat from that store sitting on his desk. It's bright red, just like the day he bought it. Eight years ago.
GRANDPASMUCKER
Human Relations

Post by GRANDPASMUCKER »

TheSeventhBrat wrote:
EastCB wrote:
Super Saver is about the only store that actually cuts all of their own meat in house. They also do not inject their meat with a sodium solution, like another chain who shall remain nameless but has the initials H & V. My old boss still has a package of stew meat from that store sitting on his desk. It's bright red, just like the day he bought it. Eight years ago.

8 out of the last 10 steaks I bought from SuperSaver sucked. 10 out of the last 10 steaks I have bought from Just Good Meat were good. Enough said!
Omababe
Planning Board

Post by Omababe »

I'm really not surprised at the Eagle Run K-Mart closing. I drive by there almost daily and K-Mart has very few cars outside compared to Bakers and the other places there.

Now the one in Millard seems to have more traffic but I admit I don't go there that often.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Looks like we beat the World Herald by about 5 days on this one too.
GRANDPASMUCKER
Human Relations

Post by GRANDPASMUCKER »

I went in to K-Mart the other day to check out the sale. As might be suspected things were not on the up and up. There was this bed spread set that had been on sale for $10 on Thanksgiving eve. It was regular 19.99. Then after the Black Friday sale was over the bed spread was on sale for 14.99 for weeks. Now with the going out of business sale they claim the starting price was 29.99 and now with the going out of business sale it is discounted down to 21.95. In short don't get any big ideas about finding any deals here. The clerk told me they are shutting down on April 3rd. They ought to give classes on the down fall of K-mart in business colleges.The course should be called "How to totally screw up a perfectly good business."
jessep28
Planning Board

Re: Omaha Area Kmart Discussion

Post by jessep28 »

GRANDPASMUCKER wrote:I went in to K-Mart the other day to check out the sale. As might be suspected things were not on the up and up. There was this bed spread set that had been on sale for $10 on Thanksgiving eve. It was regular 19.99. Then after the Black Friday sale was over the bed spread was on sale for 14.99 for weeks. Now with the going out of business sale they claim the starting price was 29.99 and now with the going out of business sale it is discounted down to 21.95. In short don't get any big ideas about finding any deals here. The clerk told me they are shutting down on April 3rd. They ought to give classes on the down fall of K-mart in business colleges.The course should be called "How to totally screw up a perfectly good business."
In a typical store closing, operations are handed over to a liquidation firm. They buy the inventory, and run/manage the store until it's sold off.

Liquidation companies are notorious for playing pricing games like that. The deals won't be there until the good stuff is gone.
Verbum Domini Manet in Aeternum
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

There is now a " Store Closing Sale" sign on KMart.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

I believe that the Eagle Run (132nd & W Maple) KMart will become a Burlington Coat Factory...
debradomayer
Library Board

Post by debradomayer »

Interesting! The one on West Center was a KMart at one time too
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

debradomayer wrote:Interesting! The one on West Center was a KMart at one time too
Yep. I worked at that store for 2 years while in college in the 80's..

Fun times indeed...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
choke
Human Relations

Post by choke »

debradomayer wrote:Interesting! The one on West Center was a KMart at one time too
Whole Foods at Regency was a Burlington Coat Factory at one time. It was Sheplers before that. Before it was a Sheplers, I have not idea what that building was.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

choke wrote:
Whole Foods at Regency was a Burlington Coat Factory at one time. It was Sheplers before that. Before it was a Sheplers, I have not idea what that building was.
IIRC, it was built as a Sheplers in 1979.
bigredmed
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed »

Coyote wrote:
choke wrote:
IIRC, it was built as a Sheplers in 1979.
Yes, thus the Southwest Motifs on the exterior. With the faux Adobe and exposed beams.
HskrFanMike
Parks & Recreation

Post by HskrFanMike »

Omaha Cowboy wrote:

Fun times indeed...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Oh really? I worked in the electronics/appliance department on Center for over five years, from fall of 1983 to Thanksgiving 1988.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

HskrFanMike wrote:
Omaha Cowboy wrote:

Fun times indeed...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Oh really? I worked in the electronics/appliance department on Center for over five years, from fall of 1983 to Thanksgiving 1988.
I worked there in the appliance dept for 2 years- 1981-1982. You must have worked with Ron R. Too.. Small world isn't it? When I worked at Center St, they paid us every Friday in cash. Enjoyed the commission..we used to sell washers, dryers and fridges along with everything else when I worked that store. :thumb: ...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

The Don working on commission in appliances? I can hear the sales pitch now...
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Coyote wrote:The Don working on commission in appliances? I can hear the sales pitch now...
Think Godfather II and a young Vito Corleone..

Yep.. Even at 19 years old, The Don had a sales pitch you couldn't refuse :;): ...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
HskrFanMike
Parks & Recreation

Post by HskrFanMike »

Omaha Cowboy wrote:
I worked there in the appliance dept for 2 years- 1981-1982. You must have worked with Ron R. Too.. Small world isn't it? When I worked at Center St, they paid us every Friday in cash. Enjoyed the commission..we used to sell washers, dryers and fridges along with everything else when I worked that store. :thumb: ...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
They still did when I left in 1988. When I got there, they were phasing out of the major appliances. Couldn't get Ron to drop "Appliances" when he answered the phone, even though we didn't sell anything other than dorm-room fridges and microwave ovens.

Still see Ron occasionally; he sometimes does samples at Costco. If he recognizes you, he'll chew your ear off for a half hour.... :lol:
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

HskrFanMike wrote:
Omaha Cowboy wrote:

Ciao..LiO...Peace
They still did when I left in 1988. When I got there, they were phasing out of the major appliances. Couldn't get Ron to drop "Appliances" when he answered the phone, even though we didn't sell anything other than dorm-room fridges and microwave ovens.

Still see Ron occasionally; he sometimes does samples at Costco. If he recognizes you, he'll chew your ear off for a half hour.... :lol:
Oh yeah. I've experienced that with Ron several times when I've seen him over the years. The guy LOVES to talk. Did you ever meet his look alike brother? I swear, the first time he walked into the department, I thought I was cracking up seeing 2 Ron's at once lol...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
OHShawn93
New to the Neighborhood

Post by OHShawn93 »

There's a Vrana trailer and some of their equipment outside of the old Kmart on 134th/Maple. Any idea what's going in? It would be nice to have this filled up!
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

OHShawn93 wrote:There's a Vrana trailer and some of their equipment outside of the old Kmart on 134th/Maple. Any idea what's going in? It would be nice to have this filled up!
I believe a Burlington Coat Factory
choke
Human Relations

Post by choke »

Coyote wrote:
OHShawn93 wrote:There's a Vrana trailer and some of their equipment outside of the old Kmart on 134th/Maple. Any idea what's going in? It would be nice to have this filled up!
I believe a Burlington Coat Factory

I would be surprised if anything off of Maple sat vacant for too long. That Maple St. corridor is hotter than a witches t*t!