Family Fare - No Frills - Bag N Save

News and releases from metro area businesses

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

jessep28
Planning Board

Re: Family Fare - No Frills - Bag N Save

Post by jessep28 »

They could be following a similar remodel philosophy to Baker's/Dillon's. Designate a handful of stores as flagships and actually make them nice, and just paint the rest.

Maybe the capital budget doesn't support a major overhaul quite yet
Verbum Domini Manet in Aeternum
Omaha_corn_burner
Human Relations

Post by Omaha_corn_burner »

Brad wrote:
Omaha_corn_burner wrote:Yeah. And inside they moved the products around, painted the walls, and vacated the old liquor section of the building.

It was basically a wash and paint remodel. Nothing really changed. It's still like Albertson's left it.
Wondered why they have all vacated the liquor store. Everything I read, that's a huge money maker for stores and places like HyVee keep adding larger and larger liquor stores.
I'm pretty big into craft beer. Bag N Save has always had a poor selection of beer, an alright liquor selection, and I have no idea about their wine selection. They either "don't get it" or they just do not want to compete in that area. Their beer/wine/liquor section is on the side of the store where the pharmacy used to be. So I think they use the space more efficiently and total shelf space remains about the same.

The location at 108th and Maple has a store(?) in the old liquor section that looks like it sells cheap |expletive|. I don't know if they plan to rent out the old liqour bay in the newly remodeled locations, or if they intend to open a separate store that sells cheap |expletive| in each location. Cheap |expletive|....think dollar store, made in China, stuff. I didn't get a good look as I was just driving by on my way to Thai Spice.
bbinks
Parks & Recreation

Post by bbinks »

Brad wrote:Better looking that the old Albertson't carport, but still un-inspiring...

1. Harvey Oaks Family Fare
108th & Maple has this same facade. Can't see the sign from the intersection. Should have been higher, IMO.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Omaha_corn_burner wrote:I'm pretty big into craft beer. Bag N Save has always had a poor selection of beer, an alright liquor selection, and I have no idea about their wine selection. They either "don't get it" or they just do not want to compete in that area. Their beer/wine/liquor section is on the side of the store where the pharmacy used to be.
The Family Fare beer selection at the 203rd & Pacific and the one at 84th & Giles is fairly decent, but will never be able to compete with Hy-Vee, especially Stoney Brook and the one at MotB.
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

HyVee is probably willing to deal with more distributors, so they can get a larger variety of product in.
Louie
County Board

Post by Louie »

jessep28 wrote:HyVee is probably willing to deal with more distributors, so they can get a larger variety of product in.
There are really only 2-3 distros that spartan nash stores aren't dealing with and they are small guys. The real problems for them are that they aren't flexible with new items (which is a killer with craft beer), have extremely slow chain approval for SKUs and have limited space in the coolers. All of their set planograms are sent down by corporate (ie heavily influenced by molsoncoors and abinbev, aka the guys that take them golfing) where as HyVee sets are drawn up store by store with the dept manager making the final say.
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

I finally made it to the Family Fare on 90th and Maple, it is a HUGE improvement over the old Bag N Save. They had a great meat selection and the store is laid out a lot better and looks cleaner.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Linkin5 wrote:I finally made it to the Family Fare on 90th and Maple, it is a HUGE improvement over the old Bag N Save. They had a great meat selection and the store is laid out a lot better and looks cleaner.
Interesting, for the most part the exterior is completely unchanged...
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

Brad wrote:
Linkin5 wrote:I finally made it to the Family Fare on 90th and Maple, it is a HUGE improvement over the old Bag N Save. They had a great meat selection and the store is laid out a lot better and looks cleaner.
Have you been there? The old store had strange open spaces and the far side of the store had a very unwelcoming layout, everything looks a lot cleaner now too.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Linkin5 wrote:
Brad wrote:
Have you been there? The old store had strange open spaces and the far side of the store had a very unwelcoming layout, everything looks a lot cleaner now too.
Not inside, my comment was only about the outside. Just seems strange they put all that work in to the inside, but did very little to the outside. They could have at least made the entrance a little more welcoming from the street.

While the locations on 108, 108, and 144 are kind of ugly on the exterior, at least they look different enough to know they did more than just a name change.
Omaha_corn_burner
Human Relations

I recently heard somebody talking about the Family Fare at 90th and Maple. I commented that I read online that it turned out really nice. They gave me a confused look and told me that was wrong.

Maybe it is nicer than what was there before, but overall not very nice.
I guess I will need to go there and check it out for myself.
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

Omaha_corn_burner wrote:I recently heard somebody talking about the Family Fare at 90th and Maple. I commented that I read online that it turned out really nice. They gave me a confused look and told me that was wrong.

Yeah, it is still nothing compared to Hyvee but the upgrade over the previous is enormous.
mrsticka
Parks & Recreation

Post by mrsticka »

So basically, they removed the parcel pickups and repainted the white tops? Not very inspiring. I wish Albertsons had remodeled those stores when they were still there.
GRANDPASMUCKER
Human Relations

Post by GRANDPASMUCKER »

mrsticka wrote:So basically, they removed the parcel pickups and repainted the white tops? Not very inspiring. I wish Albertsons had remodeled those stores when they were still there.
As long as were wishing then I wish Albertsons was still in town. Those Albertsons were pretty nice and these Family Fares are almost ghetto!
Omaha_corn_burner
Human Relations

GRANDPASMUCKER wrote:
mrsticka wrote:So basically, they removed the parcel pickups and repainted the white tops? Not very inspiring. I wish Albertsons had remodeled those stores when they were still there.
As long as were wishing then I wish Albertsons was still in town. Those Albertsons were pretty nice and these Family Fares are almost ghetto!
Bag N Save didnt really change anything when they took over the Albertson's. So if Albertson's were still here, they would be ghetto.
Original
Home Owners Association

Post by Original »

Personally, I think the 90th & Maple Family Fare was a nice refresh of the existing store. Not a remodel, but a refresh (and when I was in, they still had half the store closed off, which I would assume is going to be opened in a few months.) It's nowhere near ghetto, unless you're comparing it to a brand new HyVee or Whole Foods, in which case, yeah, from over there the refresh would seem ghetto.

Is it HyVee? No. Are their prices generally about 80-90% of HyVee? Yes. Speaking solely for myself as always, the difference in my opinion of the store is far outweighed by the general savings in food cost, and so I'm glad that the Family Fares, Fareways, and Aldis of the world exist for people like me. Someone else can like fancier stores, that's fine. But I'll take the savings.
mrsticka
Parks & Recreation

Post by mrsticka »

I don't mean to be a grammar cop, but "ghetto" is a noun, not an adjective. It means the slums of a city. Last time, I checked those stores weren't in any slums.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

mrsticka wrote:I don't mean to be a grammar cop, but "ghetto" means the slums of a city. Last time, I checked those stores weren't in any slums.
I don't mean to be a grammar cop, but "ghetto" does not mean what you think of as the "slums" of a city. Omaha has had many ethnic ghettos. Look it up.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Coyote wrote:
mrsticka wrote:I don't mean to be a grammar cop, but "ghetto" means the slums of a city. Last time, I checked those stores weren't in any slums.
I don't mean to be a grammar cop, but "ghetto" does not mean what you think of as the "slums" of a city. Omaha has had many ethnic ghettos. Look it up.
My Irish ancestors moved to Omaha from 1889-1893. Did they move to an Irish ghetto or an Irish Slum?
mrsticka
Parks & Recreation

Post by mrsticka »

Coyote wrote:
Coyote wrote:
My Irish ancestors moved to Omaha from 1889-1893. Did they move to an Irish ghetto or an Irish Slum?
I'm fully aware of that. I was referring to the areas of 108th and Q, 144th and Center and 108th and Maple. Those areas of town are not slums. I never said Omaha didn't have any slums. I know they do. East of 72nd is the older part of town. So yeah, there's bound to be slums here and there. Like parts of North Omaha? West of 72nd began development in the late 50's/early 60's. Not old enough to have slums. Blighted areas of town, sure. But not slums.

2 other users on here misused the word "ghetto". They wrongly used it as an adjective, when really, it's a noun. That's what I was trying to correct.

But anyway, back to the main topic at hand: Family Fare. I'm not very familiar with it. What's it like? Is it like Albertsons and HyVee?
Uffda
County Board

Post by Uffda »

mrsticka wrote:I don't mean to be a grammar cop, but "ghetto" is a noun, not an adjective. It means the slums of a city. Last time, I checked those stores weren't in any slums.
Actually the word Ghetto can be used as an adjective. http://www.dictionary.com/browse/ghetto

adjective
pertaining to or characteristic of life in a ghetto or the people who live there:
ghetto culture.
Slang: Often Disparaging and Offensive. noting something that is considered to be unrefined, low-class, cheap, or inferior:
Her furniture is so ghetto!
thenewguy
County Board

Post by thenewguy »

mrsticka wrote:I don't mean to be a grammar cop, but "ghetto" is a noun, not an adjective. It means the slums of a city. Last time, I checked those stores weren't in any slums.

I also don't mean to be a grammar cop, but the comma you used should have been between "checked" and "those," rather than between "time" and "I".... ;)
Go Cubs Go
mrsticka
Parks & Recreation

Post by mrsticka »

thenewguy wrote:

I also don't mean to be a grammar cop, but the comma you used should have been between "checked" and "those," rather than between "time" and "I".... ;)
Oh, oops. Thanks for pointing that out. How did I miss that?
Omaha_corn_burner
Human Relations

Omaha_corn_burner wrote:I recently heard somebody talking about the Family Fare at 90th and Maple. I commented that I read online that it turned out really nice. They gave me a confused look and told me that was wrong.

I went shopping there over the weekend. Yes, it is nicer then before. The new paint makes it look brighter and more inviting. Possibly new ceiling tiles?
It's nowhere near as nice as a HyVee or Baker's though.
Original
Home Owners Association

Post by Original »

I apologize, I suppose I should have enclosed ghetto in quotes in my post, making more that my use of the term was intended to be conveyed in a satirical manner.
mrsticka
Parks & Recreation

Post by mrsticka »

Before it was a Bag 'N Save, the store on 90th and Maple used to be a Target. Anyone remember that?
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

I checked out the Family Fare at 108th and Maple recently. Back when it was Albertson's it was a pretty decent store, and even when it was Bag & Save it still looked decent on the inside.
Now they have remodeled the inside and to my mind cheapened the overall look and feel of the place. But to make matters worse I could barely find anything I was looking for, even with the assistance of store staff. It seemed horribly disorganized. The Walmart food departments look better, and have better produce and bakeries. (I can't believe I just typed that, but it is true.)
That said, the Family Fare in Papillion, though dumbed down a bit from its Albertson's days, is still a much nicer store than any of these recent "refreshes" around Omaha. They still have a nice ethnic foods aisle last time I checked. Plus a Starbucks. And a fresh sushi department.
damonhynes
Parks & Recreation

Post by damonhynes »

I always liked how No Frills sold Ideal refilled 5gal water--and at a cheaper price than the Ideal dist plant.

But it's always been hit and miss betw No Frills and Bag 'n Save as to which store would stock them.

NF Papillion-Y
NF-Bakers Sq-Y
NF-Ft Crook-Y then N
BS-old Cub-N (and this was after they merged w/ NF!)

Now Family Fare comes along.

FF-Pap-Y
FF-108 Q-N

Sheesh. :shock:
GRANDPASMUCKER
Human Relations

Post by GRANDPASMUCKER »

Two things I am proud that I am not foolish enough to waste my hard earned money on are water and power ball tickets. :lol:

The Family Fare store on 90th & Maple back in the 70s was a Grant's. There was another big department store about where Dollar Tree is that was a Gulf Department Store. Next to Bakers on 90th & Fort was a Woolco Department Store. Sure was a lot better then just a Walmart to go to!
damonhynes
Parks & Recreation

Post by damonhynes »

GRANDPASMUCKER wrote:Two things I am proud that I am not foolish enough to waste my hard earned money on are water and power ball tickets. :lol: !
You haven't ingested Springfield well water :D
TheSeventhBrat
Home Owners Association

Post by TheSeventhBrat »

mrsticka wrote:Before it was a Bag 'N Save, the store on 90th and Maple used to be a Target. Anyone remember that?
Yep. It was the district office, too. I believe the DO is now at the Papillion store.
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

TheSeventhBrat wrote:
mrsticka wrote:Before it was a Bag 'N Save, the store on 90th and Maple used to be a Target. Anyone remember that?
Yep. It was the district office, too. I believe the DO is now at the Papillion store.
I miss that Target store!
mrsticka
Parks & Recreation

Post by mrsticka »

nativeomahan wrote:
TheSeventhBrat wrote:
And I miss the one on 132nd and Center. That's the one I always went to. I never visited the 90th and Maple location, unfortunately. I drove past it a couple times with my dad. But that was a long time ago. Sometime around 1989-90.
TheSeventhBrat
Home Owners Association

Post by TheSeventhBrat »

mrsticka wrote:
nativeomahan wrote:
TheSeventhBrat wrote:
And I miss the one on 132nd and Center. That's the one I always went to. I never visited the 90th and Maple location, unfortunately. I drove past it a couple times with my dad. But that was a long time ago. Sometime around 1989-90.
I worked at T-36, which was the Saddlecreek. I believe 90th & Maple was T-54 and the W Center store was T-59. Or it was the other way around.
choke
Human Relations

Post by choke »

TheSeventhBrat wrote:
mrsticka wrote:
nativeomahan wrote:
TheSeventhBrat wrote:
I worked at T-36, which was the Saddlecreek. I believe 90th & Maple was T-54 and the W Center store was T-59. Or it was the other way around.
Saddlecreek is surely missed. I can't think of any other retail in the area unless you go to 72nd street.
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

Not an Omaha area store, but they are closing the York, NE location on October 1st. According to the local newspaper, a human resources representative reportedly just showed up abruptly and announced that inventory would be sold off, and the store shut down.
omaha79
Parks & Recreation

Post by omaha79 »

jessep28 wrote:Not an Omaha area store, but they are closing the York, NE location on October 1st. According to the local newspaper, a human resources representative reportedly just showed up abruptly and announced that inventory would be sold off, and the store shut down.
Does that officially close the book on the Bag N' Save name forever?
Omaha_corn_burner
Human Relations

Omaha_corn_burner wrote:
Brad wrote:
Omaha_corn_burner wrote:Yeah. And inside they moved the products around, painted the walls, and vacated the old liquor section of the building.
Wondered why they have all vacated the liquor store. Everything I read, that's a huge money maker for stores and places like HyVee keep adding larger and larger liquor stores.
The location at 108th and Maple has a store(?) in the old liquor section that looks like it sells cheap |expletive|. I don't know if they plan to rent out the old liqour bay in the newly remodeled locations, or if they intend to open a separate store that sells cheap |expletive| in each location. Cheap |expletive|....think dollar store, made in China, stuff. I didn't get a good look as I was just driving by on my way to Thai Spice.
|expletive| The Oakview location has a sign up advertising the space as available where the old liquor section used to be.
lol, you can't say c r a p
bbinks
Parks & Recreation

Post by bbinks »

Omaha_corn_burner wrote:
Omaha_corn_burner wrote:
Brad wrote:
|expletive| The Oakview location has a sign up advertising the space as available where the old liquor section used to be.
lol, you can't say c r a p
It's the Deal Depot. At one time it had the stuff that Bag and Gag had that Family Fare was not going to carry. Over half of the food items I looked at were well past expired.
Omaha_corn_burner
Human Relations

The 108th and Q location has a sign up advertising the space as available where the old liquor section used to be.