Re: Cabela's - World's Foremost Outfitter

Grand Island, Hastings, Kearney, DesMoines, and the rest of Nebraska and Iowa

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Omaha_Gabe
Human Relations

Re: Cabela's will add Sidney office space

Post by Omaha_Gabe »

Why couldn't or wouldn't they keep the Cabellas name. They can buy it .... doesn't necessarily mean they have to convert them to bass, they can run two divisions under different names and separate companies.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

riceweb
Library Board

Post by riceweb »

That article feels incorrect. I don't doubt that Cabela's has internally recognized the possibility of a purchase by Bass Pro Shops or other parties, but likely nothing would happen with any store locations ahead of the sale. Further, to close on the sale will take months, so any action by Jan 1 sounds extremely unlikely.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

That story to me sounds like a verbal version of a message board. Lot of speculation with no facts from those that were in-gauged in this story. Doubt very much the first rumors to leak of a deal being done would come from a Manager in Billings MT. Now this could all end up being accurate but it thing this is still based on guesses. The time line is too soon too.
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
GRANDPASMUCKER
Human Relations

Post by GRANDPASMUCKER »

They say that a large portion of the profits Cabella's makes is off their credit cards. The average Cabella's credit card holder is said to owe an average balance of $3,600. Sure glad we dont have any bogus credit cards in my house with 3,600 dollars charged up on them. It never ceases to amaze me how many ways fools can find to foolishly part with their money.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

So, one of the corporate raider that wants to divide and sell off Cabelas is a big donor for Ricketts? And he wants to try to help Cabelas? Just like he helped ConAgra? ... or their investors?
GRANDPASMUCKER
Human Relations

Post by GRANDPASMUCKER »

I read that article too. So some rich company/person donated 3 or 4 thousand to Pete Rickets campaign that means Pete owes that company/person some kind of favor. That is what that article in the paper the other day would have us believe. Highly unlikely that Billionaire Pete sells favors that cheap if at all. That story is total innuendo which is unnecessary considering the accumulating questionable things Pete is doing that are provable such as his crazy infatuation with getting the death penalty reinstated. And then there is his waste of hundreds of thousands of dollars going to all ends of the earth to get the lethal injection drugs. Plenty of legit things wrong with Pete we dont need the paper trying to be creative.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Cabela's hires 'defender' against activist investors as it reportedly considers selling itself
Paige Yowell - World-Herald staff writer wrote:Cabela’s has hired a communications firm that advertises itself as a “defender” of companies against activist investors as the retailer could be looking to put itself up for sale.
BRoss
IT Director

Post by BRoss »

Cabela's in the OWH again today. One thing I've been wondering about - why can't they just tell these corporate raiders to |expletive| off and sell their shares if they don't like it? Worry about what it would do to their share price?
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

HR Paperstacks wrote:Cabela's in the OWH again today. One thing I've been wondering about - why can't they just tell these corporate raiders to |expletive| off and sell their shares if they don't like it? Worry about what it would do to their share price?
They could, but then the investor may start a proxy war to get their people on the company's board of directors.
Verbum Domini Manet in Aeternum
BRoss
IT Director

Post by BRoss »

jessep28 wrote:
HR Paperstacks wrote:Cabela's in the OWH again today. One thing I've been wondering about - why can't they just tell these corporate raiders to |expletive| off and sell their shares if they don't like it? Worry about what it would do to their share price?
They could, but then the investor may start a proxy war to get their people on the company's board of directors.
Yeah, the article talks about that. Would the shareholders really buy into a scum company like Elliott just for a quick buck? Do they have no morals and empathy or is money god to them and to heck with everything else?
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

HR Paperstacks wrote: Yeah, the article talks about that. Would the shareholders really buy into a scum company like Elliott just for a quick buck? Do they have no morals and empathy or is money god to them and to heck with everything else?
In an efficient market, yes, if the short term returns are there. Especially if the company is chopped up and sold sooner than later.
GRANDPASMUCKER
Human Relations

Post by GRANDPASMUCKER »

HR Paperstacks wrote:
jessep28 wrote:
Yeah, the article talks about that. Would the shareholders really buy into a scum company like Elliott just for a quick buck? Do they have no morals and empathy or is money god to them and to heck with everything else?

Its all about the "quick buck." These types of investors are not looking for a return on their stock investments of 10 to 20 percent. These kind of investors are looking to double and triple their investment in a couple of quick years. This has gone on for a hundred years and then some. Warren Buffet famously did this exact same thing to get his fortune rolling back in the 60's. Buffet was just getting his first couple of million built up and he started buying up stock of Dempster windmill in Beatrice NE. Once Buffet had bought enough stock he got himself appointed on the board of directors. As a board member Buffet was able to gain much more information on the exact holding and assets the company had. Buffet could see the company held a number of assets that totaled up in value to be 3 times the value of all the stock in the company. Buffet then proceeded to buy up all the stock in Dempster and then when he owned the controlling share of Dempster he went about selling off all of Dempster assets so he could triple his money. Beatrice hates Buffet to this day.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

'Red flag' that Cabela's sale is soon?; chairman puts 11 million shares into trust
Paige Yowell - World-Herald staff writer wrote:Cabela’s Chairman Jim Cabela moved 11.2 million company shares last year into charitable trusts... Now that the shares are in trusts, if the shares are sold or liquidated — like what would happen if Cabela’s were sold to a private entity — the gain in value from their original cost is not subject to capital gains taxes or estate taxes.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Reports: Bass Pro, Goldman Sachs team up to make bid for Cabela's
Paige Yowell - World-Herald staff writer wrote:That outcome could be disastrous for Sidney, Nebraska, where about 2,000 of the 6,000 residents are employed by Cabela's. Experts have said if a competitor like Bass Pro were to buy Cabela's, there would be no need for two separate headquarters.
Omaha_corn_burner
Human Relations

Post by Omaha_corn_burner »

Let's say Cabela's is acquired by Bass Pro Shops. Do you think less Nebraskans would then shop at Bass Pro Shops? In that case, who stands to benefit? Scheel's?
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

Omaha_corn_burner wrote:Let's say Cabela's is acquired by Bass Pro Shops. Do you think less Nebraskans would then shop at Bass Pro Shops? In that case, who stands to benefit? Scheel's?
I doubt that Bass Pro would want to keep both the LaVista and Council Bluffs stores both open. I could see Scheels taking over one of them.
gisbuxfan
Library Board

Post by gisbuxfan »

jessep28 wrote:
Omaha_corn_burner wrote:Let's say Cabela's is acquired by Bass Pro Shops. Do you think less Nebraskans would then shop at Bass Pro Shops? In that case, who stands to benefit? Scheel's?
I doubt that Bass Pro would want to keep both the LaVista and Council Bluffs stores both open. I could see Scheels taking over one of them.
I am curious on what would happen to the Kearney, NE location.
Live everyday to its fullest.. err.. just make sure your coffee cup is full. You should be good then.
GRANDPASMUCKER
Human Relations

Post by GRANDPASMUCKER »

jessep28 wrote:
You are making this way to complicated. There is no way Scheels is going to take over one of them. There is no way that Bass Pro is going to move to LaVista. Scheels is happy to be out of this play and I imagine thats the way they intend to keep it. That Cabellas in LaVista is a dead man walking.
GRANDPASMUCKER
Human Relations

Post by GRANDPASMUCKER »

gisbuxfan wrote:
jessep28 wrote:
I am curious on what would happen to the Kearney, NE location.

Again, dead man walking. Cabellas in Kearney closes after a year or two and they do not stick a Bass Pro Shop in there either. Final answer.
Omaha_corn_burner
Human Relations

Post by Omaha_corn_burner »

Okay then, let's say those locations close. Who stands to benefit? Do people in Omaha drive over to CB to buy their equipment? Does a new player come into town?
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

I go to Bass Pro in CB about 1/2 as much as I go to Cabelas. In my small sampling I think that the BP location is always way less busy than the Cabelas location. If is is location driven and I am anywhere close to right on the people draw they would be crazy to close the Cabela's location over the BP one.
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

nebugeater wrote:I go to Bass Pro in CB about 1/2 as much as I go to Cabelas. In my small sampling I think that the BP location is always way less busy than the Cabelas location. If is is location driven and I am anywhere close to right on the people draw they would be crazy to close the Cabela's location over the BP one.
The LaVista store also has comparable interstate access, and is closer to affluent suburban communities with disposable income.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

jessep28 wrote:The LaVista store also has comparable interstate access, and is closer to affluent suburban communities with disposable income.
Technically the Bass Pro is at the Intersection of Two interstates, I29 and I80.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

I also wonder if the traffic near Bass Pro in CB will pick up as that area is developed a little more. Currently, there are plans for the FieldHouse and another hotel.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

I will also go on record and say if they do merger or there is a buy out I think there is a good chance both locations in the metro will stay open. I think they are far enough apart and pull from a base that does not overlap as much as one might think geography wise.
GetUrban
Planning Board

Post by GetUrban »

I think you're right. If they've survived this long, there must be enough market share for both. Maybe they'll focus Bass Pro more on fishing and Cabelas more on hunting/camping so people will have to go to both throughout the seasons. That's if they keep the Cabelas brand going.

The biggest loss will be the HQ in Sydney and possibly the catalog center in Kearney. There's enough demand in Kearney to keep that store open I would think.
He said "They are some big, ugly red brick buildings"
...and then they were gone.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

The OWH is reporting via a Reuters report that offers are pending yet this week.

http://www.omaha.com/money/report-cabel ... ead%20more

The report, citing anonymous sources, said competitor Bass Pro Shops has partnered with Capital One Financial Corp. to make a bid for the whole company, which includes its retail stores as well as World’s Foremost Bank, operator of the Cabela’s Club Visa card.

Private equity firm Sycamore Partners also has teamed up with Synchrony Financial to make an offer, the sources said. They asked not to be identified because the deliberations are confidential, Reuters said...................................
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

nebugeater wrote:The OWH is reporting via a Reuters report that offers are pending yet this week.

http://www.omaha.com/money/report-cabel ... ead%20more

The report, citing anonymous sources, said competitor Bass Pro Shops has partnered with Capital One Financial Corp. to make a bid for the whole company, which includes its retail stores as well as World’s Foremost Bank, operator of the Cabela’s Club Visa card.

Private equity firm Sycamore Partners also has teamed up with Synchrony Financial to make an offer, the sources said. They asked not to be identified because the deliberations are confidential, Reuters said...................................
I've known behind the scenes, these offers have been In the works for awhile now. It'll be interesting to see what's ahead in about 90 or so days...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
choke
Human Relations

Post by choke »

Tough when you see your hometown Fortune 500 company in such turmoil; rumors and angst. Oh yeah, Omaha just went through that with CONAgra. That's gonna sting at least until Omaha can fill the void CONAgra left in regards to downtown office space and community contributions. River City Roundup couldn't find anyone to sponsor the parade this year. Hurts when you lose a Fortune 500. Hurts real good.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Report: Bass Pro Shops in lead to acquire Cabela's, could make an offer as soon as Monday
By Brad Davis - World-Herald staff writer wrote:That would mean an ax could drop on 2,000 Cabela’s headquarters workers in Sidney, a town of 6,800 about six hours west of Omaha.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Bass Pro Shops acquiring Cabela's for $5.5B

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/201 ... /91459212/
Nathan Bomey, USA TODAY wrote:Bass Pro Shops has reached a deal to acquire outdoors retail competitor Cabela's and take the company private in a deal valued at $5.5 billion, the companies said Monday.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

This is pretty significant, but expected news.. Now the following weeks will be interesting as it relates to retaining most of the Cabela's components and their root home base in Sidney...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
bigredmed
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed »

Omaha Cowboy wrote:This is pretty significant, but expected news.. Now the following weeks will be interesting as it relates to retaining most of the Cabela's components and their root home base in Sidney...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
You would have to think that Sidney is going to lose a lot of jobs. They will probably expand the visa operation and possibly keep it in Lincoln, but I bet not.
bbtran72
Home Owners Association

Post by bbtran72 »

I'm also curious too as to what bass pro shop will do, what will happen to all the development at "Cabela's Campus"
Suit Up
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

bigredmed wrote:
Omaha Cowboy wrote:This is pretty significant, but expected news.. Now the following weeks will be interesting as it relates to retaining most of the Cabela's components and their root home base in Sidney...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
You would have to think that Sidney is going to lose a lot of jobs. They will probably expand the visa operation and possibly keep it in Lincoln, but I bet not.
Isn't the CC business being sold separately do a different company?
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

nebugeater wrote:
bigredmed wrote:

Ciao..LiO...Peace
It's my understanding, Bass Pro Shop's partnership with Capital One, is the Cabela's CC business (The Worlds Foremost Bank) is part of the same overall package...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Omaha Cowboy wrote:
nebugeater wrote:
bigredmed wrote:

Ciao..LiO...Peace
It's my understanding, Bass Pro Shop's partnership with Capital One, is the Cabela's CC business (The Worlds Foremost Bank) is part of the same overall package...

Ciao..LiO...Peace

That would make since. I was going off of a Radio report from KFAB and we all know those are 100% accurate and perfectly clear.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

nebugeater wrote:
Omaha Cowboy wrote:
nebugeater wrote:
bigredmed wrote:

Ciao..LiO...Peace

Ciao..LiO...Peace

That would make since. I was going off of a Radio report from KFAB and we all know those are 100% accurate and perfectly clear.
No doubt, lol...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
choke
Human Relations

Post by choke »

Regulators want more time to review Bass Pro-Cabela's merger
http://www.wowt.com/content/news/Regula ... 96226.html