Heartwood Preserve (144th Dodge/Pacific)

West Omaha, Sarpy and Nebraska metro counties.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

OverlookedFarm
Home Owners Association

Re: Boys Town and farmland (144th Dodge)

Post by OverlookedFarm »

The 3rd photo in the owh gallery depicts the area on soutg farm to the very south east multi use area.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

This project reminds me of the mega projects that litter suburban Dallas near major interchanges. This plan is no L St Marketplace, big time stuff.
BRoss
IT Director

Post by BRoss »

So do they plan to relocate the intersection with Norton Dr? I've always felt that was too close to Dodge.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

They're calling this development "Aksarben Village on steroids" on the KETV web site...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Omaha Cowboy wrote:They're calling this development "Aksarben Village on steroids" on the KETV web site...
Give Jay Noddle credit, he did AV well enough, now he has a new dream. Instead of retiring, he takes on a huge project.
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

Talk about paving paradise..

This, Crossroads, The Golden Mile, Rivers Edge, Civic Site, eventually Lot B... I'm amazed a city this small can pull so much off.
15-17, 26, 32
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

I do love development but this is quite different from Aksarben Village. It is much more suburban than the Aksarben area. Granted, there are still a ton of developments surrounding the area but Aksarben is literally in the heart of the city.
Erik
Parks & Recreation

Post by Erik »

What an exciting development for this city. Did anyone ever envision something like this west of 72nd, let alone on 144th to 150th?

I mean, look at these major development districts across this city. Having these mutliple, large urban 'core' areas makes the city a more healthy, viable place. This bodes well for Omaha well into the future.

Most cities continue the strip mall developments on their outskirts, not 1.2 billion dollar urban core start-ups, a midtown crossing type of development, a redo of a suburban downtown (lavista) etc.
Dundeemaha
Human Relations

Post by Dundeemaha »

This type of suburban town center development has been getting a lot of press nationally for the past 5 years or so to try to keep white educated residents in suburbs rather than relocate to city centers. Usually though they are launched around commuter rail stations.

Maybe once this gets going there will be enough demand to expand the Dodge St expanded buses out to it.
OmahaFan
Home Owners Association

Post by OmahaFan »

This is excellent for West Omaha and Omaha in general! It will bring in new business and grow West Omaha! Super excited for this plan! Also btw with people being angry that it's not still being farmland this is using the land as intended. Plus it's growing Omaha in the process! Imagine the type of Business's we can draw here! Truly amazing!
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

I love the concept but I fear that it will take away from other development (Crossroads and downtown Omaha)
Erik
Parks & Recreation

Post by Erik »

skinzfan23 wrote:I love the concept but I fear that it will take away from other development (Crossroads and downtown Omaha)
I'm not worried about Crossroads. We can't sit back and let strip mall developers take in the surburban growth while we wait for Yates and the city to agree on some terms. Both can work in the long term.

I can see downtown to a degree. But again, studies show that having multiple cores have shown to be healthier for a city than a single one.

I do get your concerns. Those are more than fair. But I do feel this will definitely strengthen our city big time.
Trips
Library Board

Post by Trips »

Omaha_corn_burner wrote: Let's see if we can get 2 bedroom condos for under $200,000 and monthly fees around $200
I will be right next to you with a deposit as long as they have first floor retail. I would even go $250k depending on the HOA fees. I originally thought of this property like Westgate in Glendale AZ and they have 2 bedroom condo/townhome's in the $180k-$230k range.

I am also excited about the old school neighborhood. I have a friend in Lincoln that lives at Fallbrook and they love this concept.
OverlookedFarm
Home Owners Association

Post by OverlookedFarm »

cdworak@netzero.net wrote:Not excited. Wish it could have stayed farmland/part of Boys Town.
Of course. I love waking up to see bucolic scenes too, but anyone who lives in the neighbor hood knew this was going to happen. It was when, not if. Its going to he nice.

After sleeping on it, i expect that if it builds out like designed, it could crush places like aksarben, village point, crossroads, sterling ridge, 114th and center st corridors. I aslo agree that dodge cant handle any more traffic. It will be hectic for sure

Boys town is now big business. I think its a folly that they all but abandoned thier vocational and ag programs.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

I don't think it will "crush" A/V. Remember this is a 20 year build out. Aksarben will be a fully matured neighborhood with thousands of employees, residents and students in the area at any given time well before this project starts to fill in with the services and offerings that A/V has.

Village Point is much more retail centric. They didn't really say what kind of retailers they want here, but it doesn't look like the big anchors that the smaller tenants like to be around.

Sterling Ridge is going to be fine, their land is mostly spoken for already in terms of churches. They never really wanted a ton of buildings on that land anyways.

Crossroads maybe, just because there is only so much retail space to go around. Still feels like something could happen there just b/c of how much of a pain it is to get west of 90th from Dundee. Probably not as grand as they origionally envisioned.

What this might hurt is that uninspired Class B office project planned on 192nd. If office users want to be west but have a more attractive environment.

I am probably too bullish on Omaha I guess. But I am just looking at this as a 20 year build out. In 20 years Omaha could be a metro of 1.1 million people.
TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board

Post by TitosBuritoBarn »

I would think that in 20 years Omaha would be able to support all of these new developments and have some sort of next level transit plan sorted out and partially implemented.

It annoys me when people get upset that greenfields or brownfields within the city are proposed for development, especially with an urban persuasion like this one. You live in a city. This is the nature of cities. And the traffic situation will be fine. Solutions will be implemented and people will adapt to changes. This is the natural progress of things. To think otherwise is ridiculous.
"Video game violence is not a new problem. Who could forget in the wake of SimCity how children everywhere took up urban planning." - Stephen Colbert
Joe_Sovereign
Library Board

Post by Joe_Sovereign »

OverlookedFarm wrote:
cdworak@netzero.net wrote:Not excited. Wish it could have stayed farmland/part of Boys Town.
Of course. I love waking up to see bucolic scenes too, but anyone who lives in the neighbor hood knew this was going to happen. It was when, not if. Its going to he nice.

After sleeping on it, i expect that if it builds out like designed, it could crush places like aksarben, village point, crossroads, sterling ridge, 114th and center st corridors. I aslo agree that dodge cant handle any more traffic. It will be hectic for sure

Boys town is now big business. I think its a folly that they all but abandoned thier vocational and ag programs.
I don't think this crushes anything that is existing at this point. Aksarben is almost completely built out and has UNO and large Corporate anchors that will keep it stable for a long long time. This may actually help Village Point, they are going to have 20,000 new neighbors and are now next door to the new core of West Omaha. Any area along Dodge Street from 80th all they way out to First National Business Park are now part of Omaha's Dodge Street Core and will no longer be considered so peripheral. Crossroads has a chance still because of it's location but I wouldn't be surprised to see it shift more residential.

What this does is sucks all the air out of any proposed or future projects. Downtown or Midtown can compete with this project because they are selling a totally different product but suburban business parks and bland strip malls or boring stand alone office buildings are going to have a hard time getting backing with this massive project underway. If it is truly going to be as high of quality of development as proposed it is going to be very difficult for other developers to compete.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

I just think that it doesn't help to strengthen the urban core east of 72nd St. At least it is not being developed on the outer fringes and adding to an already established part of town.
Erik
Parks & Recreation

Post by Erik »

skinzfan23 wrote:I just think that it doesn't help to strengthen the urban core east of 72nd St. At least it is not being developed on the outer fringes and adding to an already established part of town.
True. However, the core east of 72nd isn't going to weaken or stagnate either. People and businesses that want the large urban core will most likely bypass Aksarben Village, this development and others. Maybe to a small degree, we can buy that fear, but this development should truly frighten developments like village point or Madonna area, la vista or countryside village or the myriad of strip malls current and future.

Think Airport, Hotels, arenas, conventions, venues, the vast urban core, medical services etc... As massive and exciting and really unprecedented as this development is, the services in the downtown area is umatched and impossible to compete with head to head.
Last edited by Erik on Wed Oct 05, 2016 11:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
omaha79
Parks & Recreation

Post by omaha79 »

This is probably the final dagger for Oak View as we know it. I can't see West Omaha supporting enough retail to make Oak View, Boys Town, Village Point, and everything on the Maple corridor viable.

It's rare when a new "shoping/dining/living destination" comes along that doesn't do so at the expense of something else that's already existing.
Garrett
Planning Board

Post by Garrett »

This development is definitely one of the best things that the city can hope for as far as suburban developments go. Would people much rather this be another boring office park, or filled with big box retail and sprawling subdivisions? People are always going to want to live in a suburb of some form. The best thing that can be done is bring responsible design principles to them, like this development does. When people are pining for better mass transit, especially to the suburbs, developments like this is what will make that possible. The densification of the Dodge Corridor will only make light rail (real light rail, not a street car) / a commuter rail more likely.

I also agree with the sentiments that this won't hurt established urban areas much. In fact, this will only slow suburban development on the fringes of the city, and it could create a vacuum in places like Oak View to where that could be redeveloped in the long term too. Optimistically, this could be the start of turning 144th into a new urbanist corridor.
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
choke
Human Relations

Post by choke »

skinzfan23 wrote:I love the concept but I fear that it will take away from other development (Crossroads and downtown Omaha)

After what Noddle Cos. did for AV, this is exciting. A company that delivers. As far as Crossroads goes, yes, I think it helps put a dagger in it. Yates waited too long. AV is everything that Crossroads wanted to be. I wouldn't be surprised to see Crossroads for sale in the near future.
Omaha1000
Home Owners Association

Post by Omaha1000 »

The vision is to create a special downtown for west Omaha. In my opinion, it is at the expense of our existing urban core. I think that the following quote on ketv.com is significant.

It’s all a part of pulling off biggest project of his career -- quite literally, a new downtown in west Omaha.
"It's an opportunity to essentially design an urban core,” Noddle said.
Source: http://www.ketv.com/news/aksarben-villa ... n/41965896

Building this type of development in an area currently hosting a corn field instead of redeveloping existing neighborhoods is not something to celebrate.
Trips
Library Board

Post by Trips »

A couple questions:
Does the city of Boys Town extend to the south portion of this? A google search showed the city limits only includes the west farmland.

Do you think part of the sale was that they would not to request TIF as it would technically come from Boys Town that just sold the land?

Will Omaha be greedy and annex this land?

Thinking outside the box for a second, what is stopping them building a Power & Light District, enclosing it and calling it and calling it an arena. If you technically needed to you could put a temporary basketball court in the middle and give Boys Town the greatest home court in the state. Ohh, and use the turn-back tax to pay for it all? I would think with all the new qualifying businesses, hotels etc in the area would cover the costs and then some.
TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board

Omaha1000 wrote:The vision is to create a special downtown for west Omaha. In my opinion, it is at the expense of our existing urban core. I think that the following quote on ketv.com is significant.
It's missing the character of downtown. There's developments like this all over the country but they don't steal much from downtown because character counts for a lot. Take Denver for example. Its Stapleton neighborhood is fairly similar to this - it's a new urbanist development - but downtown Denver continues to thrive if not much more so than Stapleton. Why? Not because its cheaper or safer or has a more abundance of grocery stores. It has character. And convenience. Also a factor.
Building this type of development in an area currently hosting a corn field instead of redeveloping existing neighborhoods is not something to celebrate.
True, but I kind of think this sort of neighborhood is necessary to get people to feel more positive about urbanism. There are certainly still those who think things east of 72nd Street are scary. I think this can act as a catalyst to show that that is not the case.
"Video game violence is not a new problem. Who could forget in the wake of SimCity how children everywhere took up urban planning." - Stephen Colbert
TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board

Trips wrote:A couple questions:
Does the city of Boys Town extend to the south portion of this? A google search showed the city limits only includes the west farmland.
No. It's unincorporated.
Do you think part of the sale was that they would not to request TIF as it would technically come from Boys Town that just sold the land?
I would imagine Boys Town has no TIF districts so they would be unable to unless Omaha has some ability to apply theirs to developments adjacent to their infrastructure.
Will Omaha be greedy and annex this land?
I don't see how that's greedy when the city surrounds it on three sides, but probably. I doubt Boys Town wants anything to do with managing it.
Thinking outside the box for a second, what is stopping them building a Power & Light District, enclosing it and calling it and calling it an arena. If you technically needed to you could put a temporary basketball court in the middle and give Boys Town the greatest home court in the state. Ohh, and use the turn-back tax to pay for it all? I would think with all the new qualifying businesses, hotels etc in the area would cover the costs and then some.
State law says the facility must primarily be used for sports or conventions with permanent facilities.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

This land would need to be blighted to get TIF involved. I could maybe see some other arrangement where they don't end up using TIF, but the city puts out bonds to pay for the infrastructure.

I wonder if they could even potentially make this a SID? I don't know enough about those to know if that's even possible.
Trips
Library Board

Post by Trips »

iamjacobm wrote:This land would need to be blighted to get TIF involved. I could maybe see some other arrangement where they don't end up using TIF, but the city puts out bonds to pay for the infrastructure.

I wonder if they could even potentially make this a SID? I don't know enough about those to know if that's even possible.
Noddle said that it will be a SID and will not use TIF.
OmahaJaysCU
Planning Board

Post by OmahaJaysCU »

It'll use an SID since its unincorporated. People forget the reason for TIF is because you can't form an SID for to pay for infrastructure.
Garrett
Planning Board

Post by Garrett »

OmahaJaysCU wrote:It'll use an SID since its unincorporated. People forget the reason for TIF is because you can't form an SID for to pay for infrastructure.
To my knowledge, the north farm is officially part of Boys Town. I'm assuming the cities will come to some sort of agreement to just hand Omaha the land, but I don't think it's possible unincorporate, is it?
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
Erik
Parks & Recreation

Post by Erik »

Omaha1000 wrote:The vision is to create a special downtown for west Omaha. In my opinion, it is at the expense of our existing urban core. I think that the following quote on ketv.com is significant.

It’s all a part of pulling off biggest project of his career -- quite literally, a new downtown in west Omaha.
"It's an opportunity to essentially design an urban core,” Noddle said.
Source: http://www.ketv.com/news/aksarben-villa ... n/41965896

Then don't celebrate. As for me, I'm going to not only completely disagree with you, but am going to sit back relish in yet another amazing development that most cities can only dream of getting.

Omaha is on another incredible wave of development.
Foundations
New to the Neighborhood

Post by Foundations »

Garrett wrote:
OmahaJaysCU wrote:It'll use an SID since its unincorporated. People forget the reason for TIF is because you can't form an SID for to pay for infrastructure.
To my knowledge, the north farm is officially part of Boys Town. I'm assuming the cities will come to some sort of agreement to just hand Omaha the land, but I don't think it's possible unincorporate, is it?
Today at the Planning Board Noddle stated that the land north of Pacific was effectively denannexed by the Village of Boys Town earlier this week, so it is now unincorporated land in the county eligible to use a SID. The south land was just in the county and was eligible for a SID.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Foundations wrote:Today at the Planning Board Noddle stated that the land north of Pacific was effectively denannexed by the Village of Boys Town earlier this week, so it is now unincorporated land in the county eligible to use a SID. The south land was just in the county and was eligible for a SID.
Thanks for that piece of info Foundations, I thought I heard that but couldn't verify it.
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

What this is going to do is kill the 192nd st park, turn Crossroads into just an office park like what you see off of 144th and Dodge (too bad, so sad Yates). Won't impact AK Village.... You would think Noddle would want to protect that anyways. It will, however, doom Oakview to its long coming demise.
No posts exist for this topic
zippy
Home Owners Association

Post by zippy »

iamjacobm wrote:They didn't really say what kind of retailers they want here
At St Wenceslaus the other night, Jay said that they had been in contact with most of the top 100-125 retailers who do not already have a presence in Nebraska, and that there was a lot of interest in the project.
OmahaFan
Home Owners Association

Post by OmahaFan »

It's great to hear that the person in charge of this project is talking to major retailer's that are not already in Omaha! I wonder if he and possibly the City of Omaha Chamber's of commerce is also trying trying to sway some major business's our way as well. Such as a new HQ for a company. From the look's of it we would have plenty of space for a another Corporate anchor within those plans. I was also watching a little short video on KETV about the project and I know the neighbors are concerned about the construction and possibly the 4 story to 5 Story buildings that will be next to there houses. I would imagine such a development would actually raise home values and not devalue there houses. Plus from the plans they released it looks like the 4 Story or 5 Story building's wouldn't even be near house's and would mostly be in the center of the project.

I would imagine they would need too probably expand Dodge street again to handle the Massive amount of traffic that's already on it! At 8 AM it's pretty backed up. Quite honestly though Idk where they could expand it. I guess that's up to the cities engineer department to figure something out!
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

When reality sets in, and deals don't go through, this development may devolve into a strip mall complex with a few 3-4 story office buildings.
Verbum Domini Manet in Aeternum
Omaha_corn_burner
Human Relations

Post by Omaha_corn_burner »

jessep28 wrote:When reality sets in, and deals don't go through, this development may devolve into a strip mall complex with a few 3-4 story office buildings.
But did you see how much land there is? It would be the largest strip mall complex in the USA.

I drive Dodge street several times a day. It looks relatively easy to widen Dodge street to 3 lanes from 144th to just east of 132nd. They just need to add a lane to the bridge by Boys Town (which they've done before, by Westroads) and cut the on-ramps out a bit (4-5 feet) at Boys Town and 132nd. With the current traffic, once you are past 144th, it's pretty smooth sailing (relative to 120th-144th) , so I've never really paid attention to how easy it would be to expand past 144th.
Garrett
Planning Board

Post by Garrett »

jessep28 wrote:When reality sets in, and deals don't go through, this development may devolve into a strip mall complex with a few 3-4 story office buildings.
I dunno. This is a very long term plan, and Noddle has always delivered.
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
OmahaFan
Home Owners Association

Post by OmahaFan »

I think people's worst fear is that once built it wont attract people and it's too big to thrive! I don't see that happening and it's in a good area economic wise. I'm excited for this project and I think these negative comment's will soon give away to positive comment's once it's finally getting worked on and it slowly comes together! This might be a major long shot but the area could also host a new Omaha police HQ? It's worth the looking into from the city!