Civic Square (former Civic Auditorium)

Downtown, Midtown, and all parts east of 72nd.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

MadMartin8
Planning Board

Re: Tetrad Development (Civic Auditorium)

Post by MadMartin8 »

Catherine33 wrote:Kiewit Tower at current library site.
Why would they move from their other buildings?
No posts exist for this topic
Catherine33
New to the Neighborhood

Post by Catherine33 »

A few reasons, but the main one being that where the library currently sits is the spot everybody wants and has wanted for years. Big reason why the mayor is so eager and worked so hard to get the library moved, because of the pressure she has been getting from some of the Omaha power brokers. Kiewit getting the spot that HDR wanted probably factors in a little bit as well. There is no more coveted piece of property in the state of Nebraska as far as the big boys are concerned.
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

For what it's worth the two high rises planned for DSM are still working their way through the process.
15-17, 26, 32
Louie
County Board

Post by Louie »

Catherine33 wrote:A few reasons, but the main one being that where the library currently sits is the spot everybody wants and has wanted for years. Big reason why the mayor is so eager and worked so hard to get the library moved, because of the pressure she has been getting from some of the Omaha power brokers. Kiewit getting the spot that HDR wanted probably factors in a little bit as well. There is no more coveted piece of property in the state of Nebraska as far as the big boys are concerned.
Any thoughts as to what they would do with their current tower?
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

Catherine33 wrote:A few reasons, but the main one being that where the library currently sits is the spot everybody wants and has wanted for years. Big reason why the mayor is so eager and worked so hard to get the library moved, because of the pressure she has been getting from some of the Omaha power brokers. Kiewit getting the spot that HDR wanted probably factors in a little bit as well. There is no more coveted piece of property in the state of Nebraska as far as the big boys are concerned.
So the big boys want that spot you say. How many times are we going to hitch our wagon to some pipe dream. Tetrad has the pockets for the high rise at the civic, If we demo the old UP Townsand will build this 32 story tower, HDR wants a prominent place near the mall, CB will build this renaissance enter high rises if this ped bridge get built, this 16 story Marriott will be.. 12 floors, some movers and shakers want to developer a lot near the market on 10th street heard that for a decade now, Lot B will eventually be filled with mid rises only to be low rises low enough not to block the view... I could go on but I think I made my point. I can't help but feel like starry eyed children naive children that keep falling for their own |expletive| haven't we learned anything yet.
15-17, 26, 32
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

Louie wrote:
Any thoughts as to what they would do with their current tower?
Apartments?
When fortune smiles on something as violent and ugly as revenge, it seems proof like no other that not only does God exist, you're doing his will.

The Bride
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

MTO wrote:
So the big boys want that spot you say. How many times are we going to hitch our wagon to some pipe dream. Tetrad has the pockets for the high rise at the civic, If we demo the old UP Townsand will build this 32 story tower, HDR wants a prominent place near the mall, CB will build this renaissance enter high rises if this ped bridge get built, this 16 story Marriott will be.. 12 floors, some movers and shakers want to developer a lot near the market on 10th street heard that for a decade now, Lot B will eventually be filled with mid rises only to be low rises low enough not to block the view... I could go on but I think I made my point. I can't help but feel like starry eyed children naive children that keep falling for their own |expletive| haven't we learned anything yet.
You done yet?
When fortune smiles on something as violent and ugly as revenge, it seems proof like no other that not only does God exist, you're doing his will.

The Bride
GetUrban
Planning Board

Post by GetUrban »

I'd rather have the mayor concentrate on bringing new major players to Downtown Omaha rather than simply shuffle the same old movers and shakers around. Top priority should be filling the old UP site first, then maximizing Tetrad/Civic, Ricks/Storz/Lewis & Clark, surface lots, then think about moving the library. Some sort of civic function still seems more appropriate at the head of GLM, rather than a corporate post card shot opportunity. But I'd take a high rise if push comes to shove.
He said "They are some big, ugly red brick buildings"
...and then they were gone.
choke
Human Relations

Post by choke »

What do you mean they changed their mind??????
Attachments
Tetrad.PNG
Tetrad.PNG (163.7 KiB) Viewed 3236 times
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

Do you have any info on this or is this just what you are thinking/hoping?
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

I am not exactly sure a dick measuring contest when it comes to being "front and center" on a postcard or two is what is going to drive a company to build in that spot downtown and spend hundreds of millions of dollars, especially when a large chunk of their workforce is suburban. Could be wrong though.

When it comes to this development though, the bottom line is that if the site doesn't include some height, it's going to be a waste of that large parcel of land. If it's filled with some short spread out squatty 5 story buildings, it might as well of been placed near the river front or north downtown.
Catherine33
New to the Neighborhood

Post by Catherine33 »

All I can say is that egos and prominence seem to be leading motivators in a lot of these decisions. HDR wanted the library site badly just for the postcard aspect. That is the case with others and I would be surprised if that space is not a big time HQ relocation, my bet would be Kiewit.
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

Wouldnt bet on a big time company relocation into Omaha is happening anytime soon. Not to be an MTO debbie downer, but I don't think there is much driving a company to relocate to here right now, and not even in the distant future. As for Kiewit, I'd think there was a greater chance of them leaving Omaha entirely than consolidating into a single tower right now (i.e none).

I aim to be wrong on this, but the pie in the sky hopes of an urbanist paradise 20+ story commercial tower I just don't see the demand in the next 10-15 years. Maybe residential, maybe, if there wasn't already so many new apartments coming online as is.
Catherine33
New to the Neighborhood

Post by Catherine33 »

Always tough to bring big companies to town, I know the city and various developers have been working at this to not much avail. The Kiewit Tower happening is a lot closer to a done deal than it is to pie in the sky though. I think Tetrad getting the River Walk going pretty soon, is also very likely.
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

Catherine33 wrote:Always tough to bring big companies to town, I know the city and various developers have been working at this to not much avail. The Kiewit Tower happening is a lot closer to a done deal than it is to pie in the sky though. I think Tetrad getting the River Walk going pretty soon, is also very likely.
Tetrad and a river walk? Is there something I missed?
Catherine33
New to the Neighborhood

Post by Catherine33 »

Not sure how much it's been discussed publicly, but this seems to be something a lot of people are excited about and feel confident they can move forward with.
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

Catherine33 wrote:Not sure how much it's been discussed publicly, but this seems to be something a lot of people are excited about and feel confident they can move forward with.
I'm so confused, a river walk where?
choke
Human Relations

Post by choke »

Here's your view if you sit at the head of Central Park Mall:
Attachments
20161105_131947.jpg
20161105_131947.jpg (223.94 KiB) Viewed 2850 times
20161105_131932.jpg
20161105_131932.jpg (224.15 KiB) Viewed 2850 times
20161105_131819.jpg
20161105_131819.jpg (222.89 KiB) Viewed 2850 times
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

The library site.. Home of Omaha's next skyscraper..

Be patient and keep your fingers crossed...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

Linkin5 wrote:
Catherine33 wrote:Not sure how much it's been discussed publicly, but this seems to be something a lot of people are excited about and feel confident they can move forward with.
I'm so confused, a river walk where?

Starts next to Vortex tower, leading to the Marina.
Joe_Sovereign
Library Board

Post by Joe_Sovereign »

Does a new Police Station count as a Strong Civic Element?
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

Joe_Sovereign wrote:Does a new Police Station count as a Strong Civic Element?
No but it counts as intimidation for an authoritarian Stothert administration.
15-17, 26, 32
mcarch
Library Board

Post by mcarch »

choke wrote:Here's your view if you sit at the head of Central Park Mall:
And this could be your library:

Minneapolis

OR

Seattle

You don't want anything too tall in that spot otherwise you lose the iconic photo shoot. However, you do want something eye catching.
OmahaOmaha
Home Owners Association

Post by OmahaOmaha »

mcarch wrote:
choke wrote:Here's your view if you sit at the head of Central Park Mall:
And this could be your library:

Minneapolis

OR

Seattle

You don't want anything too tall in that spot otherwise you lose the iconic photo shoot. However, you do want something eye catching.
Yeah, we need a beautiful, new downtown library so the homeless people have a nice place to hang out and use the toilets. Seriously, there is nothing wrong with the current library for now. The only way we should get rid of the current library is if a company comes along and wants to build a high rise there. That company would have to buy the property for a sizable price and it would be their cost to tear down the library. There also needs to be some kind of legal agreement that the company must build the high rise and not pull the |expletive| that happened at the civic site. Would we have torn the place down if we knew there wouldn't be a high rise involved? Then, instead of building a huge new library downtown, build one somewhere more centrally located in the city where parking won't be a problem.
Catherine33
New to the Neighborhood

Post by Catherine33 »

I think you will get your wish.The library will move for sure... it's already a done. That is the #1 piece of real estate in Omaha, it will be a high rise.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Catherine33 wrote:I think you will get your wish.The library will move for sure... it's already a done. That is the #1 piece of real estate in Omaha, it will be a high rise.
As I've said before, I'm rolling with Catherine33 here.. Not only does this make perfect sense, but I believe she has some inside Intel which allows her to be very decisive with her commentary on this specific topic :thumb: ...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
Catherine33
New to the Neighborhood

Post by Catherine33 »

And I will throw in one more I think you will like Omaha Cowboy... Lot B Condo Tower, nobody cares anymore what MECA thinks or wants.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Catherine33 wrote:And I will throw in one more I think you will like Omaha Cowboy... Lot B Condo Tower, nobody cares anymore what MECA thinks or wants.
Aces! Thanks for that tidbit Catherine33 :yes: ...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

Omaha Cowboy wrote:
Catherine33 wrote:I think you will get your wish.The library will move for sure... it's already a done. That is the #1 piece of real estate in Omaha, it will be a high rise.
As I've said before, I'm rolling with Catherine33 here.. Not only does this make perfect sense, but I believe she has some inside Intel which allows her to be very decisive with her commentary on this specific topic :thumb: ...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Big dreams, big dreams. Unless we're talking well over 16 floors they're wasting our time.
15-17, 26, 32
choke
Human Relations

Post by choke »

MTO wrote:
Omaha Cowboy wrote:

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Big dreams, big dreams. Unless we're talking well over 16 floors they're wasting our time.
Hard to tell when and what will be built on the old library spot but there is no doubt it will be desirable land. No doubt that Stothert wants to have a highrise built on her watch. But Omaha is about out of its big players needing a new office building. Kiewit would be logical, especially since they just built a new training center in North Downtown. Mutual of Omaha continues to develop their campus so can't see them moving. Can't think of anyone else.
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

choke wrote:
MTO wrote:
Omaha Cowboy wrote:

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Hard to tell when and what will be built on the old library spot but there is no doubt it will be desirable land. No doubt that Stothert wants to have a highrise built on her watch. But Omaha is about out of its big players needing a new office building. Kiewit would be logical, especially since they just built a new training center in North Downtown. Mutual of Omaha continues to develop their campus so can't see them moving. Can't think of anyone else.
I think there was talk of Mutual moving into a new place, but I think that went the way of the dodo?
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Patience grasshoppers.. Big things will be happening for downtown Omaha over the next several years..

It's simple/easy to exhibit negativism.. but the reality is, Omaha is in the midst of coming into its own and maximizing the potential we all feel it has..

You will see this over the next several years. "The Don" assures you :) ...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

Omaha Cowboy wrote:Patience grasshoppers.. Big things will be happening for downtown Omaha over the next several years..

It's simple/easy to exhibit negativism.. but the reality is, Omaha is in the midst of coming into its own and maximizing the potential we all feel it has..

You will see this over the next several years. "The Don" assures you :) ...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
I can't help but trust in The Don and kiss the ring.
15-17, 26, 32
GetUrban
Planning Board

Post by GetUrban »

Now that I think about it, the old library site would actually be a better spot for a residential high-rise tower or mixed use tower, with a great view of the GLM. Save the old UP site for a high-rise office building/retail/underground parking function. Nobody seems to want that site any more.

Now about the Tetrad/Civic site...what up wit that?
He said "They are some big, ugly red brick buildings"
...and then they were gone.
buildomaha
Human Relations

Post by buildomaha »

GetUrban wrote:Now that I think about it, the old library site would actually be a better spot for a residential high-rise tower or mixed use tower, with a great view of the GLM. Save the old UP site for a high-rise office building/retail/underground parking function. Nobody seems to want that site any more.

Now about the Tetrad/Civic site...what up wit that?
I agree, I think that this could be great if it was mixed use, plus it would add height. :D :clap:
#gohawks
Catherine33
New to the Neighborhood

Post by Catherine33 »

So, this is how I see it going-Tetrad moves the library for the city and donates the rest back to the city for whatever the city wants, then Tetrad which is owned by Walter gets the current library space for a high rise. It will be big, Kiewit and possibly another big employer, like Mutual, to co-brand the building and fill it up. The city works with them to additionally develop Gene Leahy Mall area. Big plans for Lot B also being discussed seriously. I can see it all happening in the very near future. Exciting times!
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

I have a hard time seeing Mutual leaving their investment in Midtown. I think the new building east of MTC is more likely for them than DT.

They do have a new mortgage wing that is in Old Mill that should see growth though.
choke
Human Relations

Post by choke »

iamjacobm wrote:I have a hard time seeing Mutual leaving their investment in Midtown. I think the new building east of MTC is more likely for them than DT.

They do have a new mortgage wing that is in Old Mill that should see growth though.
I agree. Mutual has their nice little campus project going on. There is no reason for them to move.
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

I'm picturing Catherine feverishly posting while smoking bath salts.
buildomaha
Human Relations

Post by buildomaha »

What are we meaning by high rise?... Is this supposed to be a FNB competitor or another UP or WH building... Because if its not something great, it will be a HUGE waste of space, time, and money.
#gohawks