Nebraska Football 2016

Metro area and region sports discussion

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

mrsticka
Parks & Recreation

Re: Nebraska Football 2016

Post by mrsticka »

That was an unmitigated disaster. I would expect these embarrassing blowouts on the national stage under Pelini, but Riley? Come on! I thought he'd have some backbone in him.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

mrsticka wrote:That was an unmitigated disaster. I would expect these embarrassing blowouts on the national stage under Pelini, but Riley? Come on! I thought he'd have some backbone in him.
They were over-matched mrsticka. They have inferior talent compared to Ohio St.. All the backbone in the world won't and can't over-come that..

That said, I agree- it was an unmitigated disaster...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
Busguy2010
County Board

Post by Busguy2010 »

One thing I've noticed in every game I've watched this year is that I haven't liked the play calls so much. In their contested games it seems they get 3 or 4 yards each down, and then on third down call an overly long pass play that doesn't work. Run, run, pass and so on. I feel like the run has been underutilized with this team. I guess the personnel must just not be there yet.
Busguy2010
County Board

Post by Busguy2010 »

I hate to mention this but I was curious. Today's blowout loss is one point shy (59 points) of the worst loss in history, a 70-10 loss at Texas Tech in 2004. I'm not sure what this means in the midst of the best season (so far) in 15 years.

The Huskers can still finish with 11 wins. Playoff hopes are lost, but we can still hope Wisconsin slips up and the Huskers will end up in the championship game backdoor. That's not really a game I'd like to subject myself to, but I would anyway. They should finish the regular season 10-2. After the bowl game, could finish 11-2. They could Impossibly finish 12-2. Although this is all assuming Tommy will be there. We don't know yet.

In hindsight, those of us who wanted to believe the Huskers were nationally competitive were just plain wrong. Paint us all. There still remains a lot of opportunity for this team within the division and conference. :yes:
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Busguy2010 wrote:One thing I've noticed in every game I've watched this year is that I haven't liked the play calls so much. In their contested games it seems they get 3 or 4 yards each down, and then on third down call an overly long pass play that doesn't work. Run, run, pass and so on. I feel like the run has been underutilized with this team. I guess the personnel must just not be there yet.
I agree for the most part. The play calling in the first half left me scratching my head..

But at the same time, when our team has inferior talent, it doesn't matter much anyway...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
mrsticka
Parks & Recreation

Post by mrsticka »

Another thing–Why do they keep trying to run the ball down the middle? They should KNOW that doesn't work. Run it to the left or to the right, attempt some kind of trick play, but don't run it down the middle!
choke
Human Relations

Post by choke »

College football gets more hype than it ever did. So, it's not surprising that the more populated areas of the country excel more at the sport than the less dense populated areas (Nebraska). Times are different from the Osborne era and UNL has nothing more special to offer athletes than other colleges. If you were a promising athlete, would you want to come to Lincoln, Ne? After all, like Switzer used to say, "It ain't about the X's and the O's, it's about the Jimmy's and the Joe's."
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

choke wrote:College football gets more hype than it ever did. So, it's not surprising that the more populated areas of the country excel more at the sport than the less dense populated areas (Nebraska). Times are different from the Osborne era and UNL has nothing more special to offer athletes than other colleges. If you were a promising athlete, would you want to come to Lincoln, Ne? After all, like Switzer used to say, "It ain't about the X's and the O's, it's about the Jimmy's and the Joe's."
I am no fan of Nebraska football, nor the city of Lincoln after spending 4 years of my life there, so keep this in mind. That said, the notion of "why would atheletes want to come to Lincoln?" Is utter hogwash. Why would athletes want to go to Tuscaloosa? To Ann Arbor (besides an education, but let's be real on the goals of athletes here for the most part)? To Norman Oklahoma? They aren't bustling metropolis either, and the weather isn't much different for most of the year.

They go there because of the history of the program, and the coaching staff that wins and can relate to the players. Nebraska has the history for sure, but recent administrations have been far too afraid of spending the money, and seemingly the effort, in finding good coaches at Nebraska. After the Callahan debacle (which to this day I think if he got rid of Cosgrove he would have been fine), they paniced in hiring a Legend for an AD who, let's be honest again, loved the Program but wasn't in the energy to really do due dilligence, and they hired Pelini. Pelini was a near jerk reaction to largely appease the fans who wanted anything to cling to despite the warnings they saw with the blowouts of...I believe it was 2003?

Then once Pelini showed his true colors, he was fired and the AD stepped aside. Once again, the knee jerk reaction was to hire the opposite of Pelini, essentially a "nice guy" who didn't cost too much, but unfortunately he is a career .500 coach (yes yes he was at a crappy program, blah blah) who really wasn't a splash hire to turn the kids heads. Riley may get Nebraska back to 9 wins a year, but I highly doubt you'll ever see a true end to what you saw last night. They need to open up the pocket books or do true due diligence when finding an up and coming coordinator next time when Reily (or however you spell his name, pardon) retires. I don't think the administration is going to do that, however given history.
No posts exist for this topic
choke
Human Relations

Post by choke »

MadMartin8 wrote:
choke wrote:College football gets more hype than it ever did. So, it's not surprising that the more populated areas of the country excel more at the sport than the less dense populated areas (Nebraska). Times are different from the Osborne era and UNL has nothing more special to offer athletes than other colleges. If you were a promising athlete, would you want to come to Lincoln, Ne? After all, like Switzer used to say, "It ain't about the X's and the O's, it's about the Jimmy's and the Joe's."
I am no fan of Nebraska football, nor the city of Lincoln after spending 4 years of my life there, so keep this in mind. That said, the notion of "why would atheletes want to come to Lincoln?" Is utter hogwash. Why would athletes want to go to Tuscaloosa? To Ann Arbor (besides an education, but let's be real on the goals of athletes here for the most part)? To Norman Oklahoma? They aren't bustling metropolis either, and the weather isn't much different for most of the year.

They go there because of the history of the program, and the coaching staff that wins and can relate to the players. Nebraska has the history for sure, but recent administrations have been far too afraid of spending the money, and seemingly the effort, in finding good coaches at Nebraska. After the Callahan debacle (which to this day I think if he got rid of Cosgrove he would have been fine), they paniced in hiring a Legend for an AD who, let's be honest again, loved the Program but wasn't in the energy to really do due dilligence, and they hired Pelini. Pelini was a near jerk reaction to largely appease the fans who wanted anything to cling to despite the warnings they saw with the blowouts of...I believe it was 2003?

Then once Pelini showed his true colors, he was fired and the AD stepped aside. Once again, the knee jerk reaction was to hire the opposite of Pelini, essentially a "nice guy" who didn't cost too much, but unfortunately he is a career .500 coach (yes yes he was at a crappy program, blah blah) who really wasn't a splash hire to turn the kids heads. Riley may get Nebraska back to 9 wins a year, but I highly doubt you'll ever see a true end to what you saw last night. They need to open up the pocket books or do true due diligence when finding an up and coming coordinator next time when Reily (or however you spell his name, pardon) retires. I don't think the administration is going to do that, however given history.
There's no lure in history and if there is an 18 year-old kid looks at NU as lame. It's been 20 years since NU has been a good program. Ann Harbor and Wisconsin can offer an excellent education. That's why I say Creighton has an okay basketball program; CU can offer a pretty good education as where UNL is just mediocre. Oklahoma has a more populated radius that they can recruit from as well. NU is on the edge of playing in a power 5 conference and playing for the Summit League.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

I did not expect the Huskers would win this or last week's games (ask nebugeater...), but I did not expect such a humiliating thrashing last night either. I just hope this doesn't put a spell on the players for the next four games. I think the Huskers are right where they wanted to be, where we hoped they could be this year. With Minnesota, Maryland and Iowa left on the schedule a 10-2 season is much better than the predicted 8-4 season. This would put them around 4th or 5th in B1G bowl selection. This would send the team to the Holiday Bowl except that the agreement with them is for five different teams in six years, so no Nebraska or Wisconsin, so NU might be bumped up to the Outback Bowl to play an SEC team maybe LSU. An 11-2 season with a win over LSU would do wonders in getting recruits to compete against the Ohio State, Michigan and Wisconsin...
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Plus, we better get better because the 2018 Schedule is brutal. NU plays:

@ Michigan
@ Wisconsin
@ Northwestern
@ Ohio State
@ Iowa

Ouch!
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

choke wrote: There's no lure in history and if there is an 18 year-old kid looks at NU as lame. It's been 20 years since NU has been a good program. Ann Harbor and Wisconsin can offer an excellent education. That's why I say Creighton has an okay basketball program; CU can offer a pretty good education as where UNL is just mediocre. Oklahoma has a more populated radius that they can recruit from as well. NU is on the edge of playing in a power 5 conference and playing for the Summit League.
Horse |expletive|. Look at Alabama, they were down and out for a long while as well, but then once they found the right coach, and paid for him, boom they are unstoppable, and Tuscaloosa isn't a wonderful booming civic center. And selling Nebraska's history is easy if you have folks who know how to do it. God, the fatalism is horrific for a lot of local fanbases.
choke
Human Relations

Post by choke »

MadMartin8 wrote:
choke wrote: There's no lure in history and if there is an 18 year-old kid looks at NU as lame. It's been 20 years since NU has been a good program. Ann Harbor and Wisconsin can offer an excellent education. That's why I say Creighton has an okay basketball program; CU can offer a pretty good education as where UNL is just mediocre. Oklahoma has a more populated radius that they can recruit from as well. NU is on the edge of playing in a power 5 conference and playing for the Summit League.
Horse |expletive|. Look at Alabama, they were down and out for a long while as well, but then once they found the right coach, and paid for him, boom they are unstoppable, and Tuscaloosa isn't a wonderful booming civic center. And selling Nebraska's history is easy if you have folks who know how to do it. God, the fatalism is horrific for a lot of local fanbases.
Wasn't Saban part of a group that tried to ban satellite camps? He didn't want schools coming in and trying to take recruits from the talent-rich south. Again, it's hard to recruit players to come to Nebraska. When NU was on TV constantly and exclusively, that worked great as a recruiting tool but that is no longer the case now. I agree with you that it takes a good coach to win also.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

image.jpeg
image.jpeg (90.94 KiB) Viewed 1589 times
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

image.jpeg
image.jpeg (89.17 KiB) Viewed 1589 times
GRANDPASMUCKER
Human Relations

Post by GRANDPASMUCKER »

Let me save you all the endless blind meaningless speculation of the near future of the Huskers. Coach Riley has a couple of more years and then he will be fired or asked to resign and Scott Frost will be the new coach. Scott Frost will not be a miracle worker but he cant be any dumber then Pelini and Riley who wasted 2 years of their career on the arm of Tommy Armstrong. Riley has no quarterback for next year and he is doomed and frankly I dont think he cares that much as long as hes being well paid. Nebraska has another loss or two coming with Iowa and the bowl game.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

One thing from the game I found out:
Tommy Armstrong has a hot fiancé
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (85.71 KiB) Viewed 1580 times
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Coyote wrote:One thing from the game I found out:
Tommy Armstrong has a hot fiancé
image.jpeg
Disregarding the silly commentary posted on this thread this afternoon-

You are correct. She is hot.. And NU dropping to 20th and 21st in the rankings is exactly where they need and should be...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
mrsticka
Parks & Recreation

Post by mrsticka »

Oh, really? How's Michigan State doing this year? Last I heard, they just suffered their 7th, yes, that's right, 7th loss of the season. This is their worst under Mark Dantonio. They've never played this badly during his tenure. For the first time under him, they're in danger of not getting to a bowl game.

And UCLA hasn't exactly played championship-caliber football in a while. Neither has Notre Dame. Nor Boston College or even Miami for that matter.

Don't tell us population matters when it comes to success, it doesn't. That's a load of ¢rap!
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

You can win despite not having a large population close by, but it does pose a challenge to those without significant local recruiting bases to draw from.

Greg
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

Greg S wrote:You can win despite not having a large population close by, but it does pose a challenge to those without significant local recruiting bases to draw from.

Greg

Correct. That said, certain programs (like Nebraska, and Wisconsin even) have been able to recruit nationally for eons because they've had to. That, and a unique style of offense/defense that you can mold to the players you can get, also helps (like...maybe Louisville?). You need a coach/coaching staff that can do that however.
mrsticka
Parks & Recreation

Post by mrsticka »

Another thing about UCLA, they haven't won a conference championship since 1998. Their drought's a year longer than Nebraska's. And I'm sure the fans are growing restless.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Looking forward to the game Saturday against a pretty good Minnesota team.. I think Fyfe will end up starting the game at QB for NU.. this is a recipie for an upset win for the Gophers in Lincoln. I'm sure we all will be curious as to how NU responds after the historic beat down administered to them on National TV this past Saturday night..

Thoughts on the upcoming game?...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
choke
Human Relations

Post by choke »

mrsticka wrote:
Oh, really? How's Michigan State doing this year? Last I heard, they just suffered their 7th, yes, that's right, 7th loss of the season. This is their worst under Mark Dantonio. They've never played this badly during his tenure. For the first time under him, they're in danger of not getting to a bowl game.

And UCLA hasn't exactly played championship-caliber football in a while. Neither has Notre Dame. Nor Boston College or even Miami for that matter.

Don't tell us population matters when it comes to success, it doesn't. That's a load of ¢rap!
It takes good coaching too. MSU lost their D-Coordinator. Look what happened. Don't need to argue with me. Just get back to me when Nebraska wins the B1G.
GRANDPASMUCKER
Human Relations

Post by GRANDPASMUCKER »

Omaha Cowboy wrote:Looking forward to the game Saturday against a pretty good Minnesota team.. I think Fyfe will end up starting the game at QB for NU.. this is a recipie for an upset win for the Gophers in Lincoln. I'm sure we all will be curious as to how NU responds after the historic beat down administered to them on National TV this past Saturday night..

Ciao..LiO...Peace

Minnesota 34 Nebraska 17
Busguy2010
County Board

Post by Busguy2010 »

Minnesota has a good throwing qb right? The secondary better not be scarred from last week. If it is still on their minds, this game could be ugly too.
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

Omaha Cowboy wrote:Looking forward to the game Saturday against a pretty good Minnesota team.. I think Fyfe will end up starting the game at QB for NU.. this is a recipie for an upset win for the Gophers in Lincoln. I'm sure we all will be curious as to how NU responds after the historic beat down administered to them on National TV this past Saturday night..

Ciao..LiO...Peace
I can't believe Nebraska doesn't have a more capable backup QB than one who wouldn't even start in DII.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

MadMartin8 wrote:

Ciao..LiO...Peace
I can't believe Nebraska doesn't have a more capable backup QB than one who wouldn't even start in DII.
Very true.. They do have the transfer from Tulane (his name escapes me) who is supposed to be very good.. but he has to sit out this year..

And as much as I hate to admit it, I think GRANDPASMUCKERS prediction has a fairly good chance of being correct. We'll see what NU is truly made of this Saturday evening...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
mrsticka
Parks & Recreation

Post by mrsticka »

Game's over. Nebraska won 24-17 and pretty much knocked Minnesota out of the Big Ten West race.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Good to see NU grind out a win.. Especially a game that had a Huskers loss written all over it..

The defense came up big at the end. This is much improved Nebraska team over the past several seasons. It's not inconceivable to believe they can win out and finish 10-2.. which would represent a massive improvement over last season...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
mrsticka
Parks & Recreation

Post by mrsticka »

Boy, Iowa sure pulled off a big shocker tonight. They took down Michigan on a last-second field goal. So now Michigan is no longer undefeated.

I guess this means Nebraska better look out the day after Thanksgiving. If Iowa can take down Michigan, they can take down Nebraska, too.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

mrsticka wrote:Boy, Iowa sure pulled off a big shocker tonight. They took down Michigan on a last-second field goal. So now Michigan is no longer undefeated.

I guess this means Nebraska better look out the day after Thanksgiving. If Iowa can take down Michigan, they can take down Nebraska, too.
That means nothing mrsticka.. Iowa beat Michigan. Whooppdy do. When NU visits Iowa City in a couple of weeks, the Huskers will make Hawkeye stew out of them. I'm calling my shot right now-

NU finishes 10-2. Book it :thumb: ...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
mrsticka
Parks & Recreation

Post by mrsticka »

Omaha Cowboy wrote:
mrsticka wrote:Boy, Iowa sure pulled off a big shocker tonight. They took down Michigan on a last-second field goal. So now Michigan is no longer undefeated.

That means nothing mrsticka.. Iowa beat Michigan. Whooppdy do. When NU visits Iowa City in a couple of weeks, the Huskers will make Hawkeye stew out of them. I'm calling my shot right now-

Ciao..LiO...Peace
I didn't mean to imply that Nebraska was guaranteed to lose. I just meant that the Huskers are going to have their work cut out for them. The rest of the CFB world doesn't see Iowa's upset of Michigan as "Whoopdee-do".
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

mrsticka wrote:
Omaha Cowboy wrote:

Ciao..LiO...Peace
I didn't mean to imply that Nebraska was guaranteed to lose. I just meant that the Huskers are going to have their work cut out for them. The rest of the CFB world doesn't see Iowa's upset of Michigan as "Whoopdee-do".
It was a classic upset mrsticka. A number of them happened yesterday..Lesser teams rise up, unexpectedly, and defeat a more talented highly ranked team from time to time. It happens every college football season..

As it relates to Nebraska traveling to Iowa City in a couple of weeks, the Hawkeyes 1 point upset win over Michigan yesterday really has no bearing on the outcome or degree of difficulty NU will have when they play Iowa.. Other than maybe a bump in the TV ratings and a "perceived" higher quality win if/when the Huskers get the W...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

image.jpeg
image.jpeg (86.57 KiB) Viewed 1312 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (88.74 KiB) Viewed 1312 times
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Right about where Nebraska should be..

If they win out, they should tickle the Top 10 once again...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
Busguy2010
County Board

Post by Busguy2010 »

I like where this is going after the close heart breaker at Wisconsin and the embarrassment at Ohio State. The Huskers should win out and finish 10-2. If we get lucky, we could see Wisconsin dropping to Minnesota. Would that not put the Huskers in the title game against... Penn State? Wouldn't that be hilarious. In fact, Nebraska could win that game and go to the Rose Bowl against... Colorado? This year could still shape up to be very interesting.
thenewguy
County Board

Post by thenewguy »

Clemson and michigan only drop a couple spots, losing to unranked teams? What a crock of |expletive|.
Go Cubs Go
mrsticka
Parks & Recreation

Post by mrsticka »

As I recall, Nebraska only dropped a couple spots after losing to Wisconsin in overtime.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

mrsticka wrote:As I recall, Nebraska only dropped a couple spots after losing to Wisconsin in overtime.

This is true. But I think the argument thenewguy is bringing up is, both Clemson and Michigan lost to unranked teams..and only dropped a couple of notches..Whereas when NU lost to Wisconsin, the Badgers were highly ranked and tickling the top 10.. I believe his argument is had Nebraska lost to an unranked team, they would have dropped much further than a couple of spots..

I'm not saying that's true or not, I just believe that was the point of his post...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!