Cask Republic - Dundee

Omaha's dining, arts and music scene

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Cask Republic
New to the Neighborhood

Cask Republic - Dundee

Post by Cask Republic »

Hello, fellow Omahans!

I am one of the owners of the new bar & restaurant in Dundee, Cask Republic. We are very excited to announce our first of many special beer tappings. Come Paint the Town Black with Surly Brewing Company and Cask Republic on 10/24 at 5 pm. All information can be found in the flyer below. We'd love to show you all what we've been working on for the past few months. Don't forget to try one of the 8 specialty poutine dishes too...all of which go great with beer. Hope to see you there.

Cheers!

Ryan
PTTB.jpg
PTTB.jpg (247 KiB) Viewed 3226 times
Coyote
City Council

Re: RARE Surly Beers Tapping @ Cask Republic on 10/24

Post by Coyote »

Sweet! I have been waiting for Abrasive to come to town... Will that be there?
I got to meet Omar when he was in town a few months ago. Very nice guy, I have been a fan since then.
Cask Republic
New to the Neighborhood

Post by Cask Republic »

Excellent, we are just as excited! This is one of our favorite breweries, and we're happy they are finally in Nebraska. We won't have Abrasive at this event, but we will have 7 other Surly beers, 4 of which are incredibly rare (and delicious). Since we will always be rotating beers on a weekly basis, I'm sure we'll have Abrasive at some point. You can check our Untappd page for a real-time beer menu too.

Hope to see you there!

Ryan
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Cask Republic wrote:Excellent, we are just as excited! This is one of our favorite breweries, and we're happy they are finally in Nebraska. We won't have Abrasive at this event, but we will have 7 other Surly beers, 4 of which are incredibly rare (and delicious). Since we will always be rotating beers on a weekly basis, I'm sure we'll have Abrasive at some point. You can check our Untappd page for a real-time beer menu too.

Hope to see you there!

Ryan
You will Ryan, I just added Cask to my UnTappd...
Cask Republic
New to the Neighborhood

Post by Cask Republic »

Coyote wrote:
Cask Republic wrote:Excellent, we are just as excited! This is one of our favorite breweries, and we're happy they are finally in Nebraska. We won't have Abrasive at this event, but we will have 7 other Surly beers, 4 of which are incredibly rare (and delicious). Since we will always be rotating beers on a weekly basis, I'm sure we'll have Abrasive at some point. You can check our Untappd page for a real-time beer menu too.

Hope to see you there!

Ryan
You will Ryan, I just added Cask to my UnTappd...
Excellent. We have some other great beers on deck as well. Keep your eyes peeled.

Ryan
Cask Republic
New to the Neighborhood

Bourbon County Stout @ Cask Republic 11/8

Post by Cask Republic »

Cask Republic (5003 Underwood Ave) is excited to announce another great night of beer tappings - This time, featuring Goose Island. See flyer below for details.

Here are just a few points:
  • Election Day (11/08/16)
    Lots of giveaways including a bottle of Bourbon County RARE
    2015 Bourbon County Stout, Lolita, and Halia are just 3 of the great beers being offered
Other details at http://www.facebook.com/caskrepublic.

Come drink your troubles away from the election sorrows that will surely occur!
Attachments
Cask & Goose Smallest.gif
Cask & Goose Smallest.gif (217.08 KiB) Viewed 3475 times
nativeomahan
County Board

Re: Bourbon County Stout @ Cask Republic 11/8

Post by nativeomahan »

Man oh man did the World-Herald ever dislike the food at this place! Said they had the worst barbecue meat in Omaha, and that is quite an accomplishment, given how much mediocre Q we have.
Cask Republic
New to the Neighborhood

Post by Cask Republic »

nativeomahan wrote:Man oh man did the World-Herald ever dislike the food at this place! Said they had the worst barbecue meat in Omaha, and that is quite an accomplishment, given how much mediocre Q we have.
Yep - Fortunately, this is just the opinion of one person, not the whole OWH. We only have one "BBQ" item on our menu, and it continues to be one of our best-selling appetizers. We hope that you can do as many others have and come to Cask to form your own opinion. We are confident that you will love everything from the 27 rotating beer taps, to the craft cocktails, to the 8 unique poutine dishes, and of course the worst rip tips in the history of the world. If you do come by, please let us know what you think. Cheers!
bigredmed
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed »

Cask Republic wrote:
nativeomahan wrote:Man oh man did the World-Herald ever dislike the food at this place! Said they had the worst barbecue meat in Omaha, and that is quite an accomplishment, given how much mediocre Q we have.
Yep - Fortunately, this is just the opinion of one person, not the whole OWH. We only have one "BBQ" item on our menu, and it continues to be one of our best-selling appetizers. We hope that you can do as many others have and come to Cask to form your own opinion. We are confident that you will love everything from the 27 rotating beer taps, to the craft cocktails, to the 8 unique poutine dishes, and of course the worst rip tips in the history of the world. If you do come by, please let us know what you think. Cheers!
Considering that her reviews seem to skew about 75% in alignment with my wife and my taste buds and perhaps evenly divided between her LOVING someplace that we go to and find repellent and her HATING someplace that we really enjoy, you have to say that with her and the woman she replaced, the OWH has kept up at at least they are maintaining the level they were at with DeMint. Certainly more than previous "critics".

I will offer you this observation and I share it with the local craft beer community. The fastest growing disease in adulthood is type 2 diabetes secondary to obesity. To treat this, Carbs are restricted to 45 grams per meal for men and 30-45 grams for women. A restaurant that bases it's menu on carbs is not looking forward. Craft brewers need to start taking this into account in developing beer. The first team that can crack the 5 grams/12oz serving of a good tasting craft beer will have open field running and make bank. Put serious thought into protein and low carb salads or other meals into your menu. Be part of the solution.
Omaha_corn_burner
Human Relations

Post by Omaha_corn_burner »

bigredmed wrote:The first team that can crack the 5 grams/12oz serving of a good tasting craft beer will have open field running and make bank.
You've posted this in multiple threads now. There are several low-carb beers produced on the national level. If you're looking for a low carb craft beer, I would suggest you send a message to Scriptown and see what their nutritional info is. They produce lighter session beers.

Beer is made by steeping grains in water. That extracts the different kinds of sugars. So you're left with sugar water (wort). Yeast then eats this sugar water, but yeast cannot eat every single type of sugar and sometimes it does not eat all of the sugar that it can eat. To make a low carb beer, you need to create a sugar water that is very simple, so the yeast can easily eat all the sugars. The "problem" is that they are generally less flavorful, because you cannot use the other more flavorful grains that add flavor in a quantity that you are able to taste. Of course you can pizazz them up by adding flavor extracts like fruit flavors (via extracts/chemicals), or vanilla, or wood chips, etc.

Of course I tried to really dumb down the explanation, but in general, low carb beers have simpler flavors due to a simplified grain bill.

If you really must go low carb, order a bottle of Michelob Ultra and ask the bartender for a shot of a stronger draft beer and then combine them. Who cares if people give you strange looks, you're doing it for your health.
Omaha_corn_burner
Human Relations

Flavor could also be added to a super light beer via hops.

Here's a website with a bunch of nationally produced beers and their ABV and carb counts.
http://getdrunknotfat.com/low-carb-beer/
Omaha_corn_burner
Human Relations

I did a bit more research on this. If the brewery does not package their beer (aka bottle or canning) then they are not required to test their product for nutritional content. Also their are requirements based on sales amounts and employee amounts.

Somehow you will have to pitch your idea, with market research, to a brewery. They will have to come up with a recipe that they think will taste good and be low carb. They will then have to pay to have that beer tested. It will require time and money, and a lot of small craft breweries are not awash in money. Perhaps you could offer to pay for the testing, brewery keeps the results, and releases the carbohydrate amount to you.
choke
Human Relations

Post by choke »

Omaha_corn_burner wrote:I did a bit more research on this. If the brewery does not package their beer (aka bottle or canning) then they are not required to test their product for nutritional content. Also their are requirements based on sales amounts and employee amounts.

Somehow you will have to pitch your idea, with market research, to a brewery. They will have to come up with a recipe that they think will taste good and be low carb. They will then have to pay to have that beer tested. It will require time and money, and a lot of small craft breweries are not awash in money. Perhaps you could offer to pay for the testing, brewery keeps the results, and releases the carbohydrate amount to you.
I don't know about any low carb beers. What I want to know about is the BBQ. Is it really that bad, LOL? Shoot, ketchup on a hot dog is almost considered good BBQ in Omaha.
Cask Republic
New to the Neighborhood

Firestone Walker Tap Takeover @ Cask Republic - 12/1

Post by Cask Republic »

Cask Republic is excited for another great event - This time, it's a Firestone Walker Tap Takeover!

12/1, Starts at 6:30 PM. 5003 Underwood Ave, Omaha, NE 68132

We will have 8 Firestone beers, including 3 RARE delicacies (Velvet Merkin and Stivo, a collab w/ RUSSIAN RIVER, included).

Free prizes and swag given away throughout the night.

If you like beer, you won't want to miss this event. Cheers!
Attachments
FW Tap Takeover.jpg
FW Tap Takeover.jpg (111.79 KiB) Viewed 3316 times
Coyote
City Council

Re: Firestone Walker Tap Takeover @ Cask Republic - 12/1

Post by Coyote »

Sounds like a nice Pils, but that Imperial Oatmeal... I'm drinking a Yeti right now...
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

I have yet to have a Firestone Walker were I am really excited about. I know I haven't had them all, but what I have had has been average.

I hope you get in to some more independent breweries for your tap takeover. You last two, Goose Island (Anheuser-Busch InBev) and Now Firestone Walker (Duvel Moortgat) are part of the "Big Guys".

We have way too many great independent breweries to give my money to the big guys...
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

I can attest to Velvet Merkin being a fantastic double oatmeal stout...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
Cask Republic
New to the Neighborhood

Post by Cask Republic »

Coyote wrote:Sounds like a nice Pils, but that Imperial Oatmeal... I'm drinking a Yeti right now...
Nice. Yes, anything from Russian River is bound to be great. As far as the Velvet Merkin, it's up there as one of the better oatmeal stouts. 4.3 on Untappd. Not too shabby.

Hope to see you next Thursday!
Cask Republic
New to the Neighborhood

Post by Cask Republic »

Brad wrote:I have yet to have a Firestone Walker were I am really excited about. I know I haven't had them all, but what I have had has been average.

I hope you get in to some more independent breweries for your tap takeover. You last two, Goose Island (Anheuser-Busch InBev) and Now Firestone Walker (Duvel Moortgat) are part of the "Big Guys".

We have way too many great independent breweries to give my money to the big guys...
Hello Brad,

If you haven't had Velvet Merkin nor Stivo, I would highly recommend giving them a try (you can check them out on Untappd to see what others are saying). That being said, unfortunately, a lot of the great breweries are selling to larger corporations. As much as I'd like to think that all breweries would like to "stick it to the man", the amount of money apparently can make anyone change their tune. Even though some breweries "sell", they still create some great beers. In fact, in some cases, it allows a lot more people to try their beers due to increased distribution and more efficient equipment. I'm not saying that it's ideal, but I definitely don't recommend boycotting all breweries that are bought up...Because it seems like it's unfortunately the wave of the future. One of our tap takeovers was Surly, which we love, and they are one of the "independent" breweries that started in a very small location and have grown tremendously. However, it sounds like they will most likely be bought out. Everything has a price. Anyways, we've loved Goose Island and Surly beers before they were bought out, so it's hard to stop drinking beers that have been and continue to be good.

Long story short, we have started with some of the "bigger" breweries as we are just starting off and obviously need name recognition. You will be happy to know that we already have 3 other tap takeovers coming up that include all independent and 1 local brewery. I highly recommend you come and try the 3 rare FW beers we will have. You won't be disappointed!
Cask Republic
New to the Neighborhood

Post by Cask Republic »

Omaha Cowboy wrote:I can attest to Velvet Merkin being a fantastic double oatmeal stout...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Agreed! We are so happy they brought it back. In addition to Velvet Merkin and Stivo, we will also have a few others, including Luponic Distortion: Revolution No. 3...also quite miraculous. Hope to see you there/here!
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Cask Republic wrote:If you haven't had Velvet Merkin nor Stivo, I would highly recommend giving them a try (you can check them out on Untappd to see what others are saying).
Thanks, I will check those out.
Cask Republic wrote:That being said, unfortunately, a lot of the great breweries are selling to larger corporations. As much as I'd like to think that all breweries would like to "stick it to the man", the amount of money apparently can make anyone change their tune. Even though some breweries "sell", they still create some great beers. In fact, in some cases, it allows a lot more people to try their beers due to increased distribution and more efficient equipment. I'm not saying that it's ideal, but I definitely don't recommend boycotting all breweries that are bought up...Because it seems like it's unfortunately the wave of the future. One of our tap takeovers was Surly, which we love, and they are one of the "independent" breweries that started in a very small location and have grown tremendously. However, it sounds like they will most likely be bought out. Everything has a price. Anyways, we've loved Goose Island and Surly beers before they were bought out, so it's hard to stop drinking beers that have been and continue to be good.
Hope not, but I know what you mean. The New Belgium rumor was $1,000,000,000.00! Billion with a B! Luckily they keep denying they are looking to sell.
Cask Republic wrote:Long story short, we have started with some of the "bigger" breweries as we are just starting off and obviously need name recognition. You will be happy to know that we already have 3 other tap takeovers coming up that include all independent and 1 local brewery. I highly recommend you come and try the 3 rare FW beers we will have. You won't be disappointed!
Sounds good, I look forward to it. I don't mean to bash on your tap takeovers, even thought I know it came off that way... I just really enjoy small local breweries and enjoy seeing those breweries get their shot too. Brewers are some of the nicest down to earth people you will ever meet, and its always fun seeing how excited they are when talking about their beers. Its always fun meeting people that are really passionate about what they do and having an easy way to support them.

This Friday people will be going crazy for Goose Island Bourbon County, but you can skip the lines and crowds, and go right over to Nebraska Brewing and get Black Betty, which is a phenomenal Barrel Aged Stout. I just wonder hoe many people in this area freak out over Bourbon County and have never even tried Black Betty, or Sexy Betty which is aged in Brandy Barrels.
Cask Republic
New to the Neighborhood

Post by Cask Republic »

Brad wrote:
Cask Republic wrote:If you haven't had Velvet Merkin nor Stivo, I would highly recommend giving them a try (you can check them out on Untappd to see what others are saying).
Thanks, I will check those out.
Cask Republic wrote:That being said, unfortunately, a lot of the great breweries are selling to larger corporations. As much as I'd like to think that all breweries would like to "stick it to the man", the amount of money apparently can make anyone change their tune. Even though some breweries "sell", they still create some great beers. In fact, in some cases, it allows a lot more people to try their beers due to increased distribution and more efficient equipment. I'm not saying that it's ideal, but I definitely don't recommend boycotting all breweries that are bought up...Because it seems like it's unfortunately the wave of the future. One of our tap takeovers was Surly, which we love, and they are one of the "independent" breweries that started in a very small location and have grown tremendously. However, it sounds like they will most likely be bought out. Everything has a price. Anyways, we've loved Goose Island and Surly beers before they were bought out, so it's hard to stop drinking beers that have been and continue to be good.
Hope not, but I know what you mean. The New Belgium rumor was $1,000,000,000.00! Billion with a B! Luckily they keep denying they are looking to sell.
Cask Republic wrote:Long story short, we have started with some of the "bigger" breweries as we are just starting off and obviously need name recognition. You will be happy to know that we already have 3 other tap takeovers coming up that include all independent and 1 local brewery. I highly recommend you come and try the 3 rare FW beers we will have. You won't be disappointed!
Sounds good, I look forward to it. I don't mean to bash on your tap takeovers, even thought I know it came off that way... I just really enjoy small local breweries and enjoy seeing those breweries get their shot too. Brewers are some of the nicest down to earth people you will ever meet, and its always fun seeing how excited they are when talking about their beers. Its always fun meeting people that are really passionate about what they do and having an easy way to support them.

This Friday people will be going crazy for Goose Island Bourbon County, but you can skip the lines and crowds, and go right over to Nebraska Brewing and get Black Betty, which is a phenomenal Barrel Aged Stout. I just wonder hoe many people in this area freak out over Bourbon County and have never even tried Black Betty, or Sexy Betty which is aged in Brandy Barrels.
No need to apologize, I didn't take it that way. Just wanted to let you know where we were coming from. New Belgium was actually my wife an my first brewery tour together about 10 years ago. That was and continues to be my favorite tour I've ever done, and I'm reaching triple digits. The passion that they have and care for their employees (now 100% employee-owned) is what I love about beer...well, and the taste.

Anyways, I am a very avid homebrewer, and I know what you mean- We actually plan on brewing one of our award-winning recipes with local Scriptown to have on tap at Cask and Scriptown. Also, we love NBC (they actually have one of the few barrel heads on our wall right now)...and we may just have a suprise from them soon (hint, hint). One of the beer curators with me has actually worked with them a lot as a tour guide, and he is probably one of their biggest fans. Anyways, I know what you mean, and share in your beliefs about the beer community. Cheers to that!
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Cask Republic wrote:
Omaha Cowboy wrote:I can attest to Velvet Merkin being a fantastic double oatmeal stout...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Agreed! We are so happy they brought it back. In addition to Velvet Merkin and Stivo, we will also have a few others, including Luponic Distortion: Revolution No. 3...also quite miraculous. Hope to see you there/here!
Very nice :thumb: ...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
yellowcolumbia
Home Owners Association

Post by yellowcolumbia »

We stopped by Cask Republic last weekend prior to dinner at Avoili. Great tap and cocktail list. The appetizer we tried was great as well. We'll be back.

Brad wrote:I have yet to have a Firestone Walker were I am really excited about. I know I haven't had them all, but what I have had has been average.

We must have different measure for "big guys". No argument on Goose/ABI, but Duvet Moorgat isn't much larger than New Belgium. Their 2015 numbers, including the production of Ommegang and Boulevard, was just shy of 1.2M barrels. New Belgium produced 914k barrels in 2015, but I expect the 2016 numbers to be significantly higher now that their Asheville, NC facility is open.

As far as NB selling for a billion, I'd guess more, given that Ballast Point (newish to the omaha area) recently got a billion from Constellation Brands.

I'm a big fan of Firestone beers, and very happy to have them in the area. Their standard line-up is very good, but I can understand someone not getting particularly excited about it. That's no different than the standard line-up of say Nebraska Brewing. But get into the specialties, whether from Firestone directly or it's sour Barrelworks arm, and they can knock your socks off. There is a reason Vinny let them brew Pliney while upgrading his system at Russian River.

YMMV, and drink what you like, no matter your reason. :cheers:
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

yellowcolumbia wrote:YMMV, and drink what you like, no matter your reason. :cheers:
Something we can all agree on :cheers: ...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
Cask Republic
New to the Neighborhood

Odell Tap Takeover @ Cask Republic - Sat, 1/21/17

Post by Cask Republic »

Hello again, fellow Omaha beer lovers. Cask Republic is excited to announce our next tap takeover with Odell Brewing Co! We have decided to have this tap takeover on a Saturday (1/21/17), so you can spend more time enjoying yourselves (and hopefully not worrying about work the next day). The flyer below has all the delicious details. Doors open at noon. Hope to see you there for what should be a great time. Cheers!

Ryan
Odell Small.gif
Odell Small.gif (177.15 KiB) Viewed 3140 times
Cask Republic
New to the Neighborhood

Re: Cask Republic - Dundee

Post by Cask Republic »

Cask Republic is proud to present an EPIC lineup for Omaha Beer Week. Here is a list of some of the beers being tapped on 2/18, starting at 11 AM:

Avery- Tweak;
Deschutes- 2016 The Abyss;
Goose Island- 2016 BCS;
Surly- Abrasive Ale (not barrel-aged, but delicious enough to mention);
Founders- Lizard of Koz AND Backwoods B@stard;
O'dell- Jolly Russian AND Pina Agria;
Infusion- Rum Barrel-Aged Joel Porter;
Nebraska Brewing- Sexy Betty;
and a few more...

If you are a fan of complex/delicious beers, you won't want to miss this event. Cheers!

Up-to-date details can be found here:
Barrel Event 2.jpg
Barrel Event 2.jpg (214.79 KiB) Viewed 3147 times
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Looks like a great line up! Thanks for the heads up :thumb: ...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
Cask Republic
New to the Neighborhood

Post by Cask Republic »

Omaha Cowboy wrote:Looks like a great line up! Thanks for the heads up :thumb: ...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Glad you agree! Hope to see you there.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

So a stopped in here for lunch a few weeks ago... Its only a bar now, no more food...

Beer selection was decent and they did offer me to-go menus from other restaurants, but I moved on.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Brad wrote:So a stopped in here for lunch a few weeks ago... Its only a bar now, no more food...

Beer selection was decent and they did offer me to-go menus from other restaurants, but I moved on.
Quite a few new craft beer places popping up. It's hard to make time to get to them all.. But I plan to make a tour of all these places over the next couple of months...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
Omaha_corn_burner
Human Relations

Omaha Cowboy wrote: Quite a few new craft beer places popping up. It's hard to make time to get to them all.. But I plan to make a tour of all these places over the next couple of months...
Hurry and check them out. They are very different and you are sure to find ones that you prefer over the others.

I still haven't been to Cask Republic (I'm not a Dundee person) or Casual Pint.
bigredmed
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed »

Omaha_corn_burner wrote:
Omaha Cowboy wrote: Quite a few new craft beer places popping up. It's hard to make time to get to them all.. But I plan to make a tour of all these places over the next couple of months...
Hurry and check them out. They are very different and you are sure to find ones that you prefer over the others.

Not a Dundee person or much of a craft beer person, but I will tell you that I enjoyed my lunch at the Casual Pint.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

bigredmed wrote:
Omaha_corn_burner wrote:

Not a Dundee person or much of a craft beer person, but I will tell you that I enjoyed my lunch at the Casual Pint.
I have been to Casual Pint, Thunderhead, etc.. I really enjoy Casual Pint. I'll be hitting up Cask at some point as well as the new 100+ taps at Growler USA, 162nd and Maple.. Just to name a couple.. A re-trip to the Blackstone District and Benson is also on the horizon...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
Nick808402
New to the Neighborhood

Post by Nick808402 »

Pretty sure they don't serve food anymore.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Turing into "The Hoppy Taco" according to liquor license docs.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

iamjacobm wrote:Turing into "The Hoppy Taco" according to liquor license docs.
Apparently it is now open, and is considered a beer bar. Has anyone tried this place yet?