Springfield Pines (132nd Street and Platteview)

West Omaha, Sarpy and Nebraska metro counties.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Brad
City Council

Springfield Pines (132nd Street and Platteview)

Post by Brad »

Springfield Pines, a $12 million development project, would bring upscale homes, new businesses to city

http://www.omaha.com/news/metro/springf ... 98d90.html
Hailey Konnath / World-Herald staff writer wrote:A $12 million Springfield development will bring upscale residences, new business spaces and possibly a new elementary school to the small city.

Springfield Pines, whose $6 million first phase would see 128 single-family homes built on the east side of town, hasn’t cleared all of its planning and zoning hurdles just yet. But it’s nearing the finish line.
skinzfan23
City Council

Re: Springfield Pines (132nd Street and Platteview)

Post by skinzfan23 »

That would be a huge development for Springfield and southwestern Sarpy County.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

I was actually surprised to see it. I was at a conference or presentation recently where they said Springfield is only one or two developments from being tapped out on sewer capacity with nothing more than a few ideas on how to fix it.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Brad wrote:I was actually surprised to see it. I was at a conference or presentation recently where they said Springfield is only one or two developments from being tapped out on sewer capacity with nothing more than a few ideas on how to fix it.
That is what is going to affect a lot of future development near Platteview Rd. There isn't the infrastructure needed for development and until someone steps up and installs it, more of the development will continue to occur along Hwy 370.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Brad wrote:I was actually surprised to see it. I was at a conference or presentation recently where they said Springfield is only one or two developments from being tapped out on sewer capacity with nothing more than a few ideas on how to fix it.
I am very surprised also for the same reasons. I keep hearing on Grow Omaha how everything "on the other side of the hill" can't be touched because of the infrastructure not being able to handle much more development. Unless they plan on sinking tens of millions into the development just for this... Or know something we don't, yet...
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Its a little foggy because it was last fall when I went to the presentation, but I think the three options they are looking at were:

1. A new Water Treatment Plant near Springfield
2. A large Pipe and pumping it over to the Omaha Treatment plant southeast of Offutt AFB
and don't quote me on the third
3. Pre-Treating and pumping over to the Omaha Treatment Plan

I have it on video somewhere, I should go back and watch it.
BRoss
IT Director

Post by BRoss »

Springfield Pines development moves forward
Michael Batchelder / Times Staff Writer wrote:Springfield Pines could see housing construction begin within the next few months.

Developer Gene Graves expects about 37 of the lots to be completed — meaning connected to paved roads, electricity and plumbing — by December.

Graves originally expected to have the lots of phase one entirely completed by the end of this year.
And it sounds like things are going to start changing for Springfield:

As attitudes change, so does the landscape of Sarpy County’s smallest city
Hailey Konnath / World-Herald staff writer wrote:Drive down Springfield’s Main Street — out past the library, the elementary school and the Catholic church — and you’ll see what for this quiet town is an unfamiliar sight: construction.

Between the edge of town and the expanse of farm fields, workers are making way for a $12 million upscale housing and commercial development.

In terms of similar projects around the metro area, Springfield Pines is fairly typical. What makes the development remarkable, however, is that it’s the first major development to get the green light in Springfield since the 1970s. It’s a fair assumption that the subdivision will change the face of the town.

“I think people just accept the fact that Sarpy County and our little neck of the woods is going to change,” said Keith Hentzen, who owns Springfield Drug and Soda Fountain. “It already has a little.”

Until recently, the forces at play in Sarpy County’s smallest city have kept growth at bay — making Springfield an outlier in the fastest-growing county in the state. But a long-held opposition to change is beginning to relent. The attitude of Springfield, an attitude that has endured since the town’s inception, is changing.

“People honestly believe they’re going to have to accept some growth if they want to survive as a town,” said Dan Craney, a City Council member who was on the city’s planning commission in the 1980s.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

This could potentially double the population of Springfield.
damonhynes
Parks & Recreation

Post by damonhynes »

The Springfield Pines subdivision--McMansions, 300-400K--got approx. 1/2 complete. The elementary school will be done by next fall.

Now the billboard at 132nd @ Platteview has been covered by a sign which basically reads that the development has been completed, whatever that means. There was multi-family and light retail supposed to go in there. I won't miss not having apartments there, but I wonder what happened?