Nebraska Football 2016

Metro area and region sports discussion

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

MadMartin8
Planning Board

Re: Nebraska Football 2016

Post by MadMartin8 »

mrsticka wrote:Ohio State beat Michigan in double overtime today thus keeping them out of the Big 10 Championship game. So I guess Michigan's in the same boat Nebraska is. What started out as a promising, dominating season where Michigan looked like a force to be reckoned with has ended in heartbreak.
The difference between Nebraska and Michigan's "ships" is like comparing the USS Missouri Battleship in its heyday to a leaky rowboat.
No posts exist for this topic
mrsticka
Parks & Recreation

Post by mrsticka »

And now Penn State just beat Michigan State to win the Big 10 East. So the Big 10 Championship matchup will be Wisconsin vs. Penn State.
Busguy2010
County Board

Post by Busguy2010 »

This could get interesting now that it is Penn State vs Wisconsin. I really want to see Penn State demolish Wisconsin to see what this selection committee does.
choke
Human Relations

Post by choke »

mrsticka wrote:As long as Nebraska's in the Big Ten, I see no hope of them ever regaining their former glory. Why don't we just quit kidding ourselves and get out while we can still retain whatever dignity we have left.
Sir, I owe you an apology about NU being bad because of our small population. The more I thought about it, I realize South Dakota State has a better football program than Nebraska and they truly have a population challenge. In fact, NDSU beat Iowa and NU got manhandled by Iowa.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

choke wrote:
mrsticka wrote:As long as Nebraska's in the Big Ten, I see no hope of them ever regaining their former glory. Why don't we just quit kidding ourselves and get out while we can still retain whatever dignity we have left.
Sir, I owe you an apology about NU being bad because of our small population. The more I thought about it, I realize South Dakota State has a better football program than Nebraska and they truly have a population challenge. In fact, NDSU beat Iowa and NU got manhandled by Iowa.
I continue to be amused by the silliness of the commentary in this thread.

Nebraska lost to a better coached, better prepared Iowa team on Friday. No excuses..

But to suggest NU walk the plank and "get out" of the Big 10 or that SDS has a better football program than NU because they beat Iowa in September is just abject foolishness..

If you dislike Nebraska football, that's fine.. but to make statements that are just plain silly..well, to me, you lose complete credibility..

The reality is, the Huskers went 9-3 in 2016, got homered at Wisconsin and embarrassed at Ohio St and Iowa.. But it's now on to a bowl game and I can think of at least 50+ college football programs who would love to be in the same position as Nebraska..

Remember- last year, NU went 5-7. This year, 9-3. There is much work to do, but that is a marked improvement..

Get a reality grip...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
GRANDPASMUCKER
Human Relations

Post by GRANDPASMUCKER »

Omaha Cowboy wrote:
choke wrote:

Nebraska lost to a better coached, better prepared Iowa team on Friday. No excuses..

But to suggest NU walk the plank and "get out" of the Big 10 or that SDS has a better football program than NU because they beat Iowa in September is just abject foolishness..

If you dislike Nebraska football, that's fine.. but to make statements that are just plain silly..well, to me, you lose complete credibility..

The reality is, the Huskers went 9-3 in 2016, got homered at Wisconsin and embarrassed at Ohio St and Iowa.. But it's now on to a bowl game and I can think of at least 50+ college football programs who would love to be in the same position as Nebraska..

Remember- last year, NU went 5-7. This year, 9-3. There is much work to do, but that is a marked improvement..

Get a reality grip...

Ciao..LiO...Peace

That may work for you but that don't work for most of us Nebraska fans. See were not "Settlers" like you are.

Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

GRANDPASMUCKER wrote:
Omaha Cowboy wrote:
choke wrote:

But to suggest NU walk the plank and "get'out" of the Big 10 or that SDS has a better football program than NU because they beat Iowa in September is just abject foolishness..

If you dislike Nbraska football, that's fine.. but to make statements that are just plain silly, well, to me, you lose complete credibility..

Get a reality grip...

Ciao..LiO...Peace

That may work for you but that don't work for most of us Nebraska fans. See were not "Settlers" like you are.

More silliness. And you fool no one.. You're no Nebraska football fan "GRANDPA".. You were celebrating the NU loss in giddy glee for sure, lol..

You're a complete poser. Go post about something you actually know about- like eating chicken breasts at Popeyes :P ...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Back to reality and common sense as it relates to present day Nebraska football..

From Tom Shatel in today's W-H:

"Welcome the future. These Big Ten trophy games still seem silly to some folks. But look at the passion with which the Hawkeyes played and coached on Friday with a 7-4 record. You’d have thought they were the ones with the outside shot at winning the division.

I love the old days. The old days can happen again. But when they do, it will be in smaller doses.

That’s the league and future Nebraska chose. Time to embrace it and a simple truth.

Nebraskans with big dreams say they don’t want to be Wisconsin or Iowa.

First, they have to beat Wisconsin and Iowa."..

The complete column link-
http://www.omaha.com/huskers/football/s ... d438f.html

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
GRANDPASMUCKER
Human Relations

Post by GRANDPASMUCKER »

Omaha Cowboy wrote:
GRANDPASMUCKER wrote:
Omaha Cowboy wrote:
choke wrote:

But to suggest NU walk the plank and "get'out" of the Big 10 or that SDS has a better football program than NU because they beat Iowa in September is just abject foolishness..

If you dislike Nbraska football, that's fine.. but to make statements that are just plain silly, well, to me, you lose complete credibility..

Get a reality grip...

Ciao..LiO...Peace

More silliness. And you fool no one.. You're no Nebraska football fan "GRANDPA".. You were celebrating the NU loss in giddy glee for sure, lol..

You're a complete poser. Go post about something you actually know about- like eating chicken breasts at Popeyes :P ...

Ciao..LiO...Peace

And while I am eating those chicken breasts from Popeyes you Settlers are eating slop out of the back of a food truck/old school bus parked in front of an auto parts store! :yes:
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Jerry Palm - CBS Sports Bowl Projections:

Ohio State vs Clemson, Fiesta Bowl
Wisconsin vs Colorado, Rose Bowl
Penn St vs W Michigan, Cotton Bowl
Michigan vs Florida St, Orange Bowl
Nebraska vs LSU, Outback Bowl
Iowa vs Arkansas, Music City Bowl
Indiana vs Stanford, Foster Farms Bowl
Northwestern vs Pittsburgh, Pinstripe Bowl
Minnesota vs Washington St, Holiday Bowl
Maryland vs Boston College, Quick Lane Bowl
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

USA Today:
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (60.43 KiB) Viewed 1697 times
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Coyote wrote:USA Today:
image.jpeg
Considering the way NU flopped to end the season, I'm a bit surprised they hung on to a Top 25 ranking...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Omaha Cowboy wrote:
Coyote wrote:USA Today:
image.jpeg
Considering the way NU flopped to end the season, I'm a bit surprised they hung on to a Top 25 ranking...
As other teams also fell, there were not enough 9-3 or 8-4 teams that stacked up as better...
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

image.jpeg
image.jpeg (122.55 KiB) Viewed 1688 times
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Finally, someone at NCAA.com came to the office. Plenty if teams jumped NU.
Sure NU didn't beat anyone, but their losses were to #2, #6, and #22.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (94.19 KiB) Viewed 1686 times
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

Special teams coach Bruce Read has been terminated.
Verbum Domini Manet in Aeternum
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

jessep28 wrote:Special teams coach Bruce Read has been terminated.
And a body was found in Bellevue later that day....

Riley handles things seriously.
choke
Human Relations

Post by choke »

Omaha Cowboy wrote:
choke wrote:

Get a reality grip...

Ciao..LiO...Peace

So you think head-to-head in a game next week that NDSU would lose to NU? I'll even give you NU at home. The only credibility lost here is the Nebraska football program. Ha, 9-3 against Purdue, Illinois and Minnesota, all of which were close games. And they have beaten Wisconsin once, barely, since joining the B1G. NU is irrelevant and will remain so. Get back to me when that changes.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

What is your definition of relevant?
How many teams each year are relevant?
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

choke wrote:
Omaha Cowboy wrote:
choke wrote:

Get a reality grip...

Ciao..LiO...Peace

So you think head-to-head in a game next week that NDSU would lose to NU? I'll even give you NU at home. The only credibility lost here is the Nebraska football program. Ha, 9-3 against Purdue, Illinois and Minnesota, all of which were close games. And they have beaten Wisconsin once, barely, since joining the B1G. NU is irrelevant and will remain so. Get back to me when that changes.
If you're actually interested in my common sense opinion on the state of Nebraska Football, simply re-read the Tom Shatel column and story link I provided a few posts back.. Your negative opinion is very convenient. 2 things- would you not call improvement from a 5-7 record in 2015 to 9-3 in 2016- as, um, well improvement? Did you actually expect 12-0 or 11-1? Not realistic. Truth be told, when NU was sitting at 7-0, I thought they'd finish 10-2 with both loses at Wisconsin and at OSU. I really thought the Huskers would compete with and defeat Iowa in a close fought game. I was wrong completely and duped into thinking NU had talent across the board a bit better than Iowa. That is clearly not the case. You also conveniently forgot to include Northwestern and Indiana (on the road) as 2 teams the Huskers also defeated in 2016. Both of these teams put a huge scare into OSU before losing. Those are 2 quality wins that in 2015, NU would have lost.. maybe it's just me (and Tom Shatel), but NU did make progress this season over last..and their won loss record proves that..

Would I like 11-1 or 12-0 or even 10-2 with a couple of signature wins or 3 thrown in for good measure? Of course. But it's not 1995 anymore.. The fact of the matter is, NU does not possess the across the board talent to compete for and win a Big 10 Championship, let alone a National Championship.. My hope is, the process started last season to this. I believe Reilly has 2 more seasons before he sits clearly on the hot seat..

It takes a step by step process and it won't happen overnight. Reilly and his staff need to recruit their a$$es off. 100% priority..

The Iowa game was their biggest reality check...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
choke
Human Relations

Post by choke »

Coyote wrote:What is your definition of relevant?
How many teams each year are relevant?
Relevant? For now, let's say top-ten finishes in the last 15 years.

Mediocre Iowa has 5 top-ten finishes in the last 15 years.

Nebraska has 0 top-ten finishes in the last 15 years.

New coach. Next year. 9 wins. I've heard this for 15 years and Nebraska Football has been embarrassed in at least one game in every one of these fifteen years (Texas Tech, USC, Wisconsin, etc..). Relevant is when a team is scared to play you. Relevant is when you compete in every game. I think a team should at least be relevant once every decade. Is that asking too much? The average life span is only about 70 years. How long do I have to wait? I took a lot of heat for my NDSU comment here and on Twitter but how many Power 5 programs have a little anxiety when they see North Dakota State on their non-conference schedule? I don't think too many are worried when they have to play Nebraska unless they are a doormat.
mrsticka
Parks & Recreation

Post by mrsticka »

It's situations like these that have had me advocating for conference tournaments like basketball and baseball to determine conference champions for the last year and 1/2.

That way, teams that actually are good and have won lots of games have a legitimate shot to play for the conference title. That includes teams like Michigan, Ohio State, Minnesota, Iowa and even Nebraska. Normally, under such a system, you would expect Michigan State to make the tournament, but not this year since they had such a terrible season. Maybe even Northwestern could reach it once in a while?

Under the current system–Only a single championship game, which this year features Wisconsin and Penn State, those other big teams get screwed.
Busguy2010
County Board

Post by Busguy2010 »

mrsticka wrote:It's situations like these that have had me advocating for conference tournaments like basketball and baseball to determine conference champions for the last year and 1/2.
The season itself is the tournament. The only power 5 conference that doesn't have a "tournament" is the Big 12. With football being such a physical game, the season really can't be extended more than it already is. The NFL has 16 games and when it was proposed to play 18 games, it was shot down by the players immediately. There is no way college football should play more games, because the players have no power. That would be unfair.

I think the solution is to eliminate non conference games and expand the playoff. So we are left with 72 teams who compete for the national title in 6 conferences made up of 12 teams each.

In this case, Nebraska would play 5 division games and 6 inter-division conference games. Add in the conference title games makes 12 games, then 2 or 3 playoff games to reach the title.
mrsticka
Parks & Recreation

Post by mrsticka »

Well, to quote Billy Joel: "You may be right, I may be crazy."

Yes, football's a very tough and physical game and players can and will get hurt every now and then. Not much you can do to avoid that. But that's the risk you take when you play not just football, but any kind of sport. I'm sure the players know that.

But anyway, I've had this idea in mind for sometime now. I created a hypothetical post-season tournament for both the Big 12 and Big Ten for Nebraska's sake.

For this first one, I'll pretend Nebraska, Colorado, Missouri and Texas A&M are still in the Big 12. They, along with Oklahoma, Kansas State, Texas and possibly Baylor would likely make it to the tournament on a regular basis.

Big 12 Football Tournament at Arrowhead Stadium in Kansas City, MO–

Round 1 (Quarterfinals)
Game 1:
Missouri vs. Oklahoma
December 2 11:00 AM
ABC/ESPN

Game 2:
K State vs. Texas
December 2 7:00 PM
ABC/ESPN

Game 3:
Colorado vs. Oklahoma State
December 3 11:00 AM
ABC/ESPN

Game 4:
Nebraska vs. Texas A&M
December 3 7:00 PM
ABC/ESPN

Round 2 (Semifinals)
Game 5:
Oklahoma vs. Texas
December 9 6:00 PM
ABC/ESPN

Game 6:
Nebraska vs. Colorado
December 10 6:00 PM
ABC/ESPN

Round 3 (Finals/Championship)
Game 7:
Oklahoma vs. Nebraska
December 17 7:00 PM
ABC/ESPN

Results:
Game 1–Missouri 28 Oklahoma 34
Game 2–K State 14 Texas 30
Game 3–Colorado 20 Oklahoma State 14
Game 4–Nebraska 17 Texas A&M 13
Game 5–Oklahoma 45 Texas 35
Game 6–Nebraska 37 Colorado 34 (OT)
Game 7–Oklahoma 27 Nebraska 30

And now back to the Big Ten:

Big Ten Football Tournament at Lucas Oil Stadium in Indianapolis, IN–

Round 1 (Quarterfinals)
Game 1:
Penn State vs. Northwestern
December 2 12:30 PM
FOX

Game 2:
Wisconsin vs. Iowa
December 2 5:30 PM
FOX

Game 3:
Ohio State vs. Michigan
December 3 12:00 PM
BTN

Game 4:
Minnesota vs. Nebraska
December 3 7:00 PM
ABC/ESPN

Round 2 (Semifinals)
Game 5:
Penn State vs. Ohio State
December 9 4:00 PM
BTN

Game 6:
Nebraska vs. Iowa
December 10 5:00 PM
ABC/ESPN

Round 3 (Finals/Championship)
Game 7:
Nebraska vs. Penn State
December 17 7:00 PM
FOX

Results:
Game 1–Penn State 30 Northwestern 13
Game 2–Wisconsin 23 Iowa 27
Game 3–Ohio State 31 Michigan 24
Game 4–Minnesota 27 Nebraska 35
Game 5–Penn State 23 Ohio State 20 (OT)
Game 6–Nebraska 24 Iowa 17
Game 7–Penn State 30 Nebraska 33

Yeah, I'm biased in favor of Nebraska as I've got them winning both the tournaments.

Even though all this is highly unlikely, it doesn't hurt to imagine. Especially, with Penn State downing Ohio State on a field goal in overtime. How exciting would a Penn State/Nebraska matchup in Game 7 be?
Last edited by mrsticka on Mon Dec 12, 2016 11:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

Fandom is truly an amazing phenomenon. On one hand we have folks who believe truly that the sky is falling and the program needs to be burned to the ground and started over (basically, with a little hyperbole tossed in for dramatic effect :)), and then on the other hand we have folks who believe Nebraska would beat Iowa, Oklahoma, Colorado and Penn State despite evidence to the contrary.
Busguy2010
County Board

Post by Busguy2010 »

Nebraska is no longer ranked in the CFP as they are probably the least impressive 9-3 team. Most projections I've seen have Nebraska vs. Florida in the bowl game.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

It sounds like the Outback Bowl Committee prefers Iowa over Nebraska, so it now could be Memphis and the Music City bowl against Tennessee or Arkansas.
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

A chance to knock off Bielema would definitely be preferable to playing the Volunteers in Nashville.
Shoot for the Moon... if you miss, you'll land among the stars.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Sounds like Nebraska is going to hire Donté Williams, one of the top recruiters on the west coast. A secondaries coach at Arizona this past year might help Nebraska shift its recruiting field westward or even pick up some 4 star players in California.
jag42
Library Board

Post by jag42 »

I thought it was in Nashville
mrsticka
Parks & Recreation

Post by mrsticka »

Penn State just won the Big Ten Championship. Incredible!
Busguy2010
County Board

Post by Busguy2010 »

I think the field is set as is. If anything, switch Washington and Clemson. I was hoping for a Big Ten championship blowout so the committee would feel a good deal of pressure to displace Clemson.
Omababe
Planning Board

Post by Omababe »

mrsticka wrote:Penn State just won the Big Ten Championship. Incredible!
That was a very good come-from behind game! :)

The last minute was very different. I think it was the first time I ever saw a team run toward their own goal intentionally.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

1. Alabama
2. Clemson
3. Ohio State
4. Washington
5. Penn State
6. Michigan
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

New Year's Six Bowls:

Orange Bowl: Florida State vs Michigan
Cotton Bowl: Wester Michigan vs Wisconsin
Rose Bowl: Penn State vs USC
Sugar Bowl: Oklahoma vs Auburn

Peach Bowl: Washington vs Alabama
Fiesta Bowl: Clemson vs Ohio St
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Music City : Nebraska vs Tennessee
2:30 Dec 30. ESPN
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Quick Lane Bowl: Maryland vs. Boston College
Foster Farms Bowl: Indiana vs Utah
Holiday Bowl: Minnesota vs. Washington State
New Era Pinstripe Bowl: Pittsburgh vs. Northwestern
Outback Bowl: Iowa vs Florida

10 out of 14 B1G teams going Bowling
Uffda
County Board

Post by Uffda »

Coyote wrote:Music City : Nebraska vs Tennessee
Bummer! I was hoping for Outback since I was already going to be in Tampa at that time. :(
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Uffda wrote:
Bummer! I was hoping for Outback since I was already going to be in Tampa at that time. :(
Outback Committee really wanted Iowa. One prediction had NU going to the Pinstripe to play North Carolina.

And... Just as I wrote that, CBS is reporting a Music City bias:
CBS Sports wrote:This won't make Nebraska fans happy.

The Music City Bowl's Twitter account sent out an odd tweet, which refers to Tennessee as "my team," and included a "Go Vols."

This is a bad error for a bowl game to make, seeing as how it's supposed to be a neutral event. It's possible that someone with access to the account thought that he or she was using a personal Twitter. However, that's just a guess.
BTW, Nebraska fans will be on the West Stands
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Uffda wrote:
They might as well play this game in Knoxville instead of Nashville..

Sheesh...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!