Omaha Local News Channels

Discussion of current events, news, the latest happenings in Omaha

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Which evening news do you watch the most (5p 6p 10p)

KMTV Channel 3 (No Cable/Dish)
2%
KMTV Channel 3 (With Cable/Dish)
4%
WOWT Channel 6 (No Cable/Dish)
4%
WOWT Channel 6 (With Cable/Dish)
21%
KETV Channel 7 (No Cable/Dish)
13%
KETV Channel 7 (With Cable/Dish)
31%
KPTM Channel 42 (No Cable/Dish)
1%
KPTM Channel 42 (With Cable/Dish)
2%
I don't watch Local News
13%
I don't have a TV
5%
I watch whatever channel it happens to be on
1%
I watch whatever the TV in the Bar is showing
5%

Total votes: 127

BRoss
IT Director

Re: Omaha Local News Channels

Post by BRoss »

jessep28 wrote:I was watching NTV over the lunch hour, and their meteorologist had a weather.gov forecast page up on the computer behind him. That made me chuckle a little.
Why? I'm pretty sure weathermen use lots of sources and it only makes since they would use a source like that.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

HR Paperstacks wrote:
jessep28 wrote:I was watching NTV over the lunch hour, and their meteorologist had a weather.gov forecast page up on the computer behind him. That made me chuckle a little.
Why? I'm pretty sure weathermen use lots of sources and it only makes since they would use a source like that.
I look at the Omaha (OAX) weather.gov almost daily. Down at the bottom left they have the "Weather Story" which is usually a 3 day forecast.

http://www.weather.gov/oax/

I find it a little funny that back in the day there was the "Short Range Forecast" which was 3 days and the "Long Range Outlook" which was 30 days. However now we have all these 7 and 10 days forecasts, and people are always complaining about the weatherman are wrong all the time. May be we should go back to the 3 day forecast...
GetUrban
Planning Board

Post by GetUrban »

Brad wrote:
HR Paperstacks wrote:
I look at the Omaha (OAX) weather.gov almost daily. Down at the bottom left they have the "Weather Story" which is usually a 3 day forecast.

http://www.weather.gov/oax/

I find it a little funny that back in the day there was the "Short Range Forecast" which was 3 days and the "Long Range Outlook" which was 30 days. However now we have all these 7 and 10 days forecasts, and people are always complaining about the weatherman are wrong all the time. May be we should go back to the 3 day forecast...
I always check out the NOAA-NWS 7-day forecast and also the "forecast discussion" link near the bottom.

http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.ph ... Er05vkrKUk
http://forecast.weather.gov/product.php ... glossary=1

I think most of the on-air forecasters base their forecasts on this info, apply their own local knowledge, and then add their own hype to it to suck people in to stay tuned until after the commercials.

The jargon they use in the "forecast discussion" is interesting, even though its hard to know exactly what they're talking about without looking up the definitions or getting a meteorology degree. It makes you realize how hard it is to predict the weather, since there is so much going on at different levels of the atmosphere.

When reading the "forecast discussion", it helps to know what the millibar heights are, if you really want to know.

He said "They are some big, ugly red brick buildings"
...and then they were gone.
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

KETV redesigned their website a few weeks ago. The clickbait garbage and ads are worse. Also, there are only a handful of local stories it seems, if you can find them.
Verbum Domini Manet in Aeternum
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

jessep28 wrote:KETV redesigned their website a few weeks ago. The clickbait garbage and ads are worse. Also, there are only a handful of local stories it seems, if you can find them.
I noticed that yesterday when I was trying to find info on the Sprint Fire/Outage.... Its really bad!
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

Brad wrote:
jessep28 wrote:KETV redesigned their website a few weeks ago. The clickbait garbage and ads are worse. Also, there are only a handful of local stories it seems, if you can find them.
I noticed that yesterday when I was trying to find info on the Sprint Fire/Outage.... Its really bad!

The redesign is atrocious. I never go there anymore because of it.
No posts exist for this topic
Omababe
Planning Board

Post by Omababe »

MadMartin8 wrote:The redesign is atrocious. I never go there anymore because of it.
What annoys me greatly, and KETV is not the only one by far, is that when you click on a story the video automatically starts playing, at an earsplitting volume, without the clicking of the right-pointing "play" arrow.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Anyone follow the KMTV facebook page. What they pass off as breaking or headline news there is crazy. Used to follow it but no more. Many of the so called news stories are one of those third third party "slide show" sites looking for clicks.
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
BRoss
IT Director

Post by BRoss »

Omababe wrote:
MadMartin8 wrote:The redesign is atrocious. I never go there anymore because of it.
What annoys me greatly, and KETV is not the only one by far, is that when you click on a story the video automatically starts playing, at an earsplitting volume, without the clicking of the right-pointing "play" arrow.
I hate auto play videos. It's one think KETV has been doing a long time which has made me avoid them for a long time. It's not a good user experience when all you care about is reading the story.
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

With the autoplay videos, you used to be able to find a duplicate article on KETV's website with just the transcript.

Another trick was to switch on click to play when the videos player was Flash. With that plugin being phased out, sites are slowly but surely going to HTML 5 video for desktop browsers.
mrsticka
Parks & Recreation

Post by mrsticka »

How come during weather segments, Omaha's usually referred to as "The Metro"? Pretty much every station in Omaha does that. Why?
Omababe
Planning Board

Post by Omababe »

mrsticka wrote:How come during weather segments, Omaha's usually referred to as "The Metro"? Pretty much every station in Omaha does that. Why?
LOL, same reason that WOWT over-used the term "Heartland" from maybe 1995 through 2010 or so and KMTV countered with "Midlands" from around 1995 to about 2000.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

mrsticka wrote:How come during weather segments, Omaha's usually referred to as "The Metro"? Pretty much every station in Omaha does that. Why?
They are not just referring to "Omaha". There are 5 Cities in the "Metro". Omaha, Bellevue, Papillion, LaVista, Council Bluffs. Some people might also lump in Bennington and Gretna too.
Garrett
Planning Board

Post by Garrett »

Brad wrote:
They are not just referring to "Omaha". There are 5 Cities in the "Metro". Omaha, Bellevue, Papillion, LaVista, Council Bluffs. Some people might also lump in Bennington and Gretna too.
Well really the Metropolitan area is comprised of 8 or 9 (if you count Fremont/Dodge County) different counties, so it really extends far beyond the contiguous urban development of the city.
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
BRoss
IT Director

Post by BRoss »

Brad wrote:
Don't forget Ralston!
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Garrett wrote:
Brad wrote:
Well really the Metropolitan area is comprised of 8 or 9 (if you count Fremont/Dodge County) different counties, so it really extends far beyond the contiguous urban development of the city.
^ This answers your question mrsticka...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Garrett wrote:
Brad wrote:
We are talking about TV weather segments, not population and statistics. Usually in the weather forecast is just Omaha and the connected suburbs, not Places like Fremont, Blair, etc.
Dundeemaha
Human Relations

Post by Dundeemaha »

Really what we need is something catchy, all of the prior attempts have been lame. Something like Chicagoland, Inland Empire, etc. to describe Omaha's metro.
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

Dundeemaha wrote:Really what we need is something catchy, all of the prior attempts have been lame. Something like Chicagoland, Inland Empire, etc. to describe Omaha's metro.
It should have unnecessary e's and English spellings to sound fancy.
When fortune smiles on something as violent and ugly as revenge, it seems proof like no other that not only does God exist, you're doing his will.

The Bride
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

On a larger note.... Does it really mater. They are going to call it something and other than that who cares.
mrsticka
Parks & Recreation

Post by mrsticka »

Fair enough. It's not that I wish they didn't. I was just curious, that's all. 10/11 usually refers to Lincoln as "The Capital City". It is an accurate description.
Dundeemaha
Human Relations

Post by Dundeemaha »

nebugeater wrote:On a larger note.... Does it really mater. They are going to call it something and other than that who cares.
It matters some. If the only names we can come up with to call ourselves are generic terms, is it because we can't unite around a common identity?

Is Omaha unique in some way or is it just some nameless "metro" in "the heartland?"
choke
Human Relations

Post by choke »

Dundeemaha wrote:
nebugeater wrote:On a larger note.... Does it really mater. They are going to call it something and other than that who cares.
It matters some. If the only names we can come up with to call ourselves are generic terms, is it because we can't unite around a common identity?

Is Omaha unique in some way or is it just some nameless "metro" in "the heartland?"
Sioux City uses "Siouxland." Maybe someone needs to start a post. Does Omaha try and go solo or is Lincoln included?

'Greater Omaha Newscast" or with an "e" for RNcyanide, "Greater Omaha Newscaste"
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

choke wrote:
Dundeemaha wrote:

Sioux City uses "Siouxland." Maybe someone needs to start a post. Does Omaha try and go solo or is Lincoln included?

'Greater Omaha Newscast" or with an "e" for RNcyanide, "Greater Omaha Newscaste"
Newscentre, newspointe, etc.
When fortune smiles on something as violent and ugly as revenge, it seems proof like no other that not only does God exist, you're doing his will.

The Bride
Uffda
County Board

Post by Uffda »

choke wrote:

Having growing up around Sioux Falls at a time when there was only two TV broadcast stations ( and Cable was available). The area was known as KELOLAND - I think it has always been a CBS Broadcaster.

KELO serves the largest viewing area of any station in the United States. It calls this vast area - which consists all of South Dakota as well as large parts of North Dakota, Minnesota and Iowa - KELOLand
choke
Human Relations

Post by choke »

Uffda wrote:
choke wrote:

Having growing up around Sioux Falls at a time when there was only two TV broadcast stations ( and Cable was available). The area was known as KELOLAND - I think it has always been a CBS Broadcaster.

KELO serves the largest viewing area of any station in the United States. It calls this vast area - which consists all of South Dakota as well as large parts of North Dakota, Minnesota and Iowa - KELOLand
KELOLAND sounds really corporate and cold, kinda like Soylent Green.
mrsticka
Parks & Recreation

Post by mrsticka »

What if Omaha's DMA extended all the way out to York? That would include Beatrice, Crete, Seward, Fairbury, David City and Milford. And of course, Lincoln.
Dundeemaha
Human Relations

Post by Dundeemaha »

Best option is probably to wait for Omaha and Lincoln metros to merge and then we can come up with something fresh and clever like Omacoln or no.... Linoma! That has a nice ring to it, maybe we could name a lake or something after it.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

mrsticka wrote:What if Omaha's DMA extended all the way out to York? That would include Beatrice, Crete, Seward, Fairbury, David City and Milford. And of course, Lincoln.
And you've probably read here that I've argued that this should be the case for Omaha's TV Market for years..

You'll have to contact Nielsen and convince them to pull their heads out mrsticka :thumb: ...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

It shouldn't be so hard to find news....

I see a headline on wowt's website "OPPD employees flee fire". Click on it and its a super short story with very little details. Go to OWH site, see nothing. Go to KETV's site, see nothing.

Go to Google News and type in "OPPD Omaha" and both the OWH and KETV have stories... KETV's as decent, but the OWH had the most in depth.

You would figure when OPPD's second largest power plant is on fire, you wouldn't have to google for the story...
mrsticka
Parks & Recreation

Post by mrsticka »

Omaha Cowboy wrote:
mrsticka wrote:What if Omaha's DMA extended all the way out to York? That would include Beatrice, Crete, Seward, Fairbury, David City and Milford. And of course, Lincoln.
And you've probably read here that I've argued that this should be the case for Omaha's TV Market for years..

You'll have to contact Nielsen and convince them to pull their heads out mrsticka :thumb: ...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Like they'll listen to me.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

mrsticka wrote:
Omaha Cowboy wrote:

Ciao..LiO...Peace
You'll never know unless you try...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
mrsticka
Parks & Recreation

Post by mrsticka »

Omaha Cowboy wrote:
mrsticka wrote:
Omaha Cowboy wrote:

Ciao..LiO...Peace

Ciao..LiO...Peace
What would I say?
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

mrsticka wrote:
Omaha Cowboy wrote:
mrsticka wrote:
Omaha Cowboy wrote:

Ciao..LiO...Peace

Ciao..LiO...Peace
What would I say?

Please? :;):
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

nebugeater wrote:
mrsticka wrote:
Omaha Cowboy wrote:
mrsticka wrote:
Omaha Cowboy wrote:

Ciao..LiO...Peace

Ciao..LiO...Peace
What would I say?

You could reason that geographically, Omaha/Lincoln being 45 minutes apart, should have a combined television market covering the eastern 1/3rd of Nebraska, along with the current counties in Western Iowa and one in Missouri. You could reason that the Tri-City TV Market (Grand Island/Kearney/Hastings) cover the middle 1/3rd to western front range..then the Western 1/3rd could be covered partially by North Platte..although Western Nebraska is dominated by the Denver and Rapid City, SD markets currently, so the western 1/3rd could remain the same..

This explanation makes the most common sense..

And of course, you should probably end with- Please? :thumb: ...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
mrsticka
Parks & Recreation

Post by mrsticka »

Omaha Cowboy wrote:
nebugeater wrote:
mrsticka wrote:
Omaha Cowboy wrote:
mrsticka wrote:
Omaha Cowboy wrote:

Ciao..LiO...Peace

Ciao..LiO...Peace
What would I say?

You could reason that geographically, Omaha/Lincoln being 45 minutes apart, should have a combined television market covering the eastern 1/3rd of Nebraska, along with the current counties in Western Iowa and one in Missouri. You could reason that the Tri-City TV Market (Grand Island/Kearney/Hastings) cover the middle 1/3rd to western front range..then the Western 1/3rd could be covered partially by North Platte..although Western Nebraska is dominated by the Denver and Rapid City, SD markets currently, so the western 1/3rd could remain the same..

This explanation makes the most common sense..

And of course, you should probably end with- Please? :thumb: ...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Okay. Makes sense.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

I'm sure many people in Lincoln feel the same as you. They might be waiting for someone to finally put a voice to their concerns. Who knows what you might be able to spark...
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

It would probably make sense to have KOLN (CBS), KFXL (Fox) and KLKN (ABC) in the tri cities and then expand the Omaha media market out to Lincoln. The NBC affiliate which serves Lincoln is based in the tri cities region. The question though is are stations able to do that from a regulatory perspective.

Seward would probabably be a better fi
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Coyote wrote:I'm sure many people in Lincoln feel the same as you. They might be waiting for someone to finally put a voice to their concerns. Who knows what you might be able to spark...
Exactly. It all sometimes starts with one voice :thumb: ...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

jessep28 wrote:It would probably make sense to have KOLN (CBS), KFXL (Fox) and KLKN (ABC) in the tri cities and then expand the Omaha media market out to Lincoln. The NBC affiliate which serves Lincoln is based in the tri cities region. The question though is are stations able to do that from a regulatory perspective.

Seward would probabably be a better fi
I agree with this. I've always thought it made the most sense. Omaha/Lincoln covering the eastern 1/3rd of NE, Western IA and Missouri.. Then Tri-Cities covering the central 1/3rd to the Western NE front range...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!