Capitol District (NWC 10th & Capitol)

Downtown, Midtown, and all parts east of 72nd.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Spatial77
Home Owners Association

Re: Official: Capitol District

Post by Spatial77 »

skinzfan23 wrote:
choke wrote:
EricHaley wrote:Looks like they are about to put up another (orange) tower crane

Is this for the parking garage?
Could be but I wouldn't think they would need a tower crane to assemble a parking garage, plus it appears that the crane is on the southeast corner of the property, directly west of the hotel.

Not a tower crane. The new crane is a heavy lift mobile with a lattice jib. I think this is a Liebherr machine. They are using a Manitowoc 777 crawler lattice crane on the garage which they put together last week. They have been using it on precast that they started delivering today.
"Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future." -- Niels Bohr
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Spatial77 wrote:
skinzfan23 wrote:
choke wrote:
EricHaley wrote:Looks like they are about to put up another (orange) tower crane

Is this for the parking garage?
Could be but I wouldn't think they would need a tower crane to assemble a parking garage, plus it appears that the crane is on the southeast corner of the property, directly west of the hotel.

Not a tower crane. The new crane is a heavy lift mobile with a lattice jib. I think this is a Liebherr machine. They are using a Manitowoc 777 crawler lattice crane on the garage which they put together last week. They have been using it on precast that they started delivering today.
Yep, you are prob right...earlier today it looked like it might be a tower crane, but not now.
EricHaley
Human Relations

Post by EricHaley »

It looks like both tower cranes are being taken down, not just the one for the apartments.
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

And here I thought we'd have rower cranes DTO for a few more years straight. Now it'll be quite a while before we see the next one.
15-17, 26, 32
Erik
Parks & Recreation

Post by Erik »

MTO wrote:And here I thought we'd have rower cranes DTO for a few more years straight. Now it'll be quite a while before we see the next one.
Stop..
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Tornado
Home Owners Association

Post by Tornado »

Beautiful views from that apartment looking Southwest, especially at night. Great pics. Hollands precious parking lot does look like |expletive| though :banghead: :banghead: It will be nice to see this whole development , including the office and retail, and the additional apartment building across come online. Looking great!!
TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board

Post by TitosBuritoBarn »

Glad to see that lot kitty corner to the Capitol District is getting developed next spring. This area could use some more density.
"Video game violence is not a new problem. Who could forget in the wake of SimCity how children everywhere took up urban planning." - Stephen Colbert
NovakOmaha
Planning Board

Post by NovakOmaha »

I just wish that someone would bust loose with a 25 story condo or apartment tower on one of the vacant or parking lots on Capitol.
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

NovakOmaha wrote:I just wish that someone would bust loose with a 25 story condo or apartment tower on one of the vacant or parking lots on Capitol.
Not enough demand for that high of a strictly apartment/condo tower in the area. We would need another major employer downtown, and we missed probably our last shot on that.

Besides, I'd rather have a tower slightly more west than in this immediate area.
No posts exist for this topic
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

MadMartin8 wrote:
NovakOmaha wrote:I just wish that someone would bust loose with a 25 story condo or apartment tower on one of the vacant or parking lots on Capitol.
Not enough demand for that high of a strictly apartment/condo tower in the area. We would need another major employer downtown, and we missed probably our last shot on that.

Besides, I'd rather have a tower slightly more west than in this immediate area.
Yeah you'd have to go to a bigger market like Des Moines.
15-17, 26, 32
Athomsfere
Planning Board

Post by Athomsfere »

MadMartin8 wrote:

I'd actually like to see something more south. More south than FNT and Woodman to pull the skyline out a little.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

6 floors on the site where the ice rink is now will be another great addition.

Also as a note MCL's crane is completely down and JE Dunn's is currently being dismantled.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

MTO wrote:
MadMartin8 wrote:

Yeah you'd have to go to a bigger market like Des Moines.
Like Des Moines, you have little brother syndrome, lol...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

I was just thinking....the new Marriott looks kinda cool with the C-Link reflecting off of it. (and the glass is only 1/2 done)
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

From the World Herald article the other day:
Parking garage: An eight-level, 505-stall structure connects to the district by two skywalks. Half the stalls will be public and the rest private.
I didn't know the garage was going to be that tall...thought it was only going to be 4 stories. Any idea if the parking garage is going under 480 or next to it?
EricHaley
Human Relations

Post by EricHaley »

skinzfan23 wrote:From the World Herald article the other day:
Parking garage: An eight-level, 505-stall structure connects to the district by two skywalks. Half the stalls will be public and the rest private.
I didn't know the garage was going to be that tall...thought it was only going to be 4 stories. Any idea if the parking garage is going under 480 or next to it?
It would have to be going next to it if it's that tall.
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

Further back in this thread we talked about it.
15-17, 26, 32
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

Check the new site map that was posted above. Looks like it's going to be next to rather than underneath, which it would have to be.
No posts exist for this topic
Joe_Sovereign
Library Board

Post by Joe_Sovereign »

Speaking of skywalks.

Is this Garage the parking for the Hotel as well? It looks like it would be easy to extend a skywalk from the Retail building to the Hotel and allow Hotel to parking access via skywalks.

Will there be a skywalk from the Hotel to the CenturyLink Center? Isn't the number of "attached" Hotel rooms a big part of booking conferences and this hotel was suppose to get us over the 1000 attached room mark?
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

Out of all the renders I've seen there hasn't been one with an attaching sky walk to the CLink. And anyway this hotel Plus Hilton is 933 rooms just shy of that 1,000 threshold.
15-17, 26, 32
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Here is what the parking garage looked like last Saturday:

skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Thanks for the pictures Brad....I hadn't actually seen the garage yet. So at 8 stories, it should end up stretching above 480 by a little bit. Hopefully it has some decent design elements similar to Park 8.
swgiust
Library Board

Post by swgiust »

Any idea on the start of the retail and mixed use buildings?
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Here we go... City Council to debate alcohol sales in commons areas of Entertainment Districts...
Omaha City Council Agenda wrote:Ordinance to amend Chapter 15 of the Omaha Municipal Code providing for the designation of Entertainment Districts in which commons areas may be used for the sale of alcohol on the premises by retail, craft brewery, and micro distillery licensees which obtain a Commons Area Permit; establishing definitions; providing for the administration, requirements, application, limitation, and renewals of such designations and permits; and related matters; and, to provide the effective date hereof.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

That looks like the same crane that has been jumping around Omaha/Lincoln for a while now.

Also the supports for the garage are definitely reaching above the interstate now.
thenewguy
County Board

Post by thenewguy »

Are precast parking sturctures the most common? I guess i dont recall seeing that method used recently...but i dont make it over to Omaha as often.
Go Cubs Go
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

thenewguy wrote:Are precast parking sturctures the most common? I guess i dont recall seeing that method used recently...but i dont make it over to Omaha as often.
I am pretty sure that is what they used with the Pacific Life garage at Aksarben Village...they threw that thing up fast.
Spatial77
Home Owners Association

Post by Spatial77 »

Looks like a couple of piling augers were delivered to the site this morning. Could they be starting the pilings for the entertainment/retail building???
Spatial77
Home Owners Association

Post by Spatial77 »

swgiust wrote:Any idea on the start of the retail and mixed use buildings?
Now! The Building Permit for CAPITOL DISTRICT RETAIL - RETAIL SHELL was issued 9/6/2016
The Commercial Plumbing permit was issued on the same date and they did a partial inspection top out on 12/02. Piling augers arrived today so it will be awhile until anything above ground is visible.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Garage is growing fast, now up to 7 floors!

iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Spatial77 wrote:
swgiust wrote:Any idea on the start of the retail and mixed use buildings?
Now! The Building Permit for CAPITOL DISTRICT RETAIL - RETAIL SHELL was issued 9/6/2016
The Commercial Plumbing permit was issued on the same date and they did a partial inspection top out on 12/02. Piling augers arrived today so it will be awhile until anything above ground is visible.
This was for the buildings on the north side of the plaza. Just so no one confused it with the buildings fronting Capitol.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Brad wrote:Garage is growing fast, now up to 7 floors!

Nice.. Thanks for the pic update Brad :thumb: ...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

You can now see the edge of the parking garage on the webcam.

Edit: Actually I see it isn't the garage but you can see they are installing glass on the points of the hotel on the south west side.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

skinzfan23 wrote:You can now see the edge of the parking garage on the webcam.

Edit: Actually I see it isn't the garage but you can see they are installing glass on the points of the hotel on the south west side.
I drove around the entire development late Monday morning. It's looking great :thumb: ...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
jjjjhskr
Human Relations

Post by jjjjhskr »

:clap:
Omaha Cowboy wrote:

I drove around the entire development late Monday morning. It's looking great :thumb: ...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
I had a friend who lived here from 2004-2008 who now lives in San Francisco visit for New Years. She said what's going on in Omaha is really impressive!
Back Home in Omaha!
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

jjjjhskr wrote::clap:
Omaha Cowboy wrote:

Ciao..LiO...Peace
I had a friend who lived here from 2004-2008 who now lives in San Francisco visit for New Years. She said what's going on in Omaha is really impressive!
Thanks for sharing that.. And there is no question this is true..

I've read so many cup half empty posts on this forum, especially lately, you'd be lead to believe Omaha has become an island of purgatory..

Again, thanks for mentioning her comment. This perspective is needed and sometimes lost when people find themselves too deep in the forest and can't see the trees :thumb: ...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

That's an awesome comment coming from someone who lives in one heck of a city.
15-17, 26, 32
Fort Calhoun
New to the Neighborhood

Post by Fort Calhoun »

I volunteer at the Durham. During the fall we had two "Mystery Tour" groups (the groups that sign up for tours without knowing where they are going) from Albuquerque. When I spoke to people from these groups they were very impressed with downtown Omaha. They liked how the city has preserved historical buildings and has built new buildings in the downtown core. Most of the people had never been to Omaha before and many said they would like to return.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Fort Calhoun wrote:I volunteer at the Durham. During the fall we had two "Mystery Tour" groups (the groups that sign up for tours without knowing where they are going) from Albuquerque. When I spoke to people from these groups they were very impressed with downtown Omaha. They liked how the city has preserved historical buildings and has built new buildings in the downtown core. Most of the people had never been to Omaha before and many said they would like to return.
Excellent!..

Thank you for sharing that. Omaha indeed has a downtown core that is the envy of many similar sized metros :thumb: ...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!