The Political decisions of Omaha.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

daveoma
Parks & Recreation

Re: 2017 Omaha Mayoral Election

Post by daveoma »

choke wrote:
NEDodger wrote:
daveoma wrote: Agreed. I think gerrymandering is part of the reason republicans still control congress. They certainly aren't liked by the vast majority of the country.
It only appears that way to people who don't interact with others who share an opposing point of view. You know, those ones that preach open-mindedness, tolerance and inclusion yet go cry and riot and burn things down when their candidate doesn't win?

I'm sure you know what I'm talking about.
Sounds like Trump himself. Election was rigged if he didn't win, ban all Muslims, deport everyone who's here illegally, beat people up for me and I'll pay your legal fees, etc.. Temper-tantrum Trump. Yeah, I know who you are talking about.
Wasn't Trump the cry baby when he talked about using the "2nd amendment solution" if he didn't win?" And what of the increase in hate crimes since the election against religious minorities and ethnic minorities? Who's the sore loser...err winner?
daveoma
Parks & Recreation

Post by daveoma »

NEDodger wrote:
choke wrote: Sounds like Trump himself. Election was rigged if he didn't win, ban all Muslims, deport everyone who's here illegally, beat people up for me and I'll pay your legal fees, etc.. Temper-tantrum Trump. Yeah, I know who you are talking about.
You're comparing rioting and burning down cities to deporting people who are here illegally?

Oh, gotcha - you're one of those folks who demonizes deporting illegals while at the same time decrying stagnant wages.

Also, Daveoma can stand up for himself. Unless he's in a "safe space" because someone called him out?
I can't help that people love me. :coolwoot:
choke
Human Relations

Post by choke »

Here we go:
Attachments
Stothert.PNG
Stothert.PNG (240.42 KiB) Viewed 4516 times
Mello.PNG
Mello.PNG (193.62 KiB) Viewed 4516 times
EATapodcast
New to the Neighborhood

Post by EATapodcast »

I went to Mr Mello's kickoff party last night. It was a very nice ordeal. How do you all feel about the two campaigns?
GRANDPASMUCKER
Human Relations

Post by GRANDPASMUCKER »

EATapodcast wrote:I went to Mr Mello's kickoff party last night. It was a very nice ordeal. How do you all feel about the two campaigns?

Mayor Stothert did not support Trump which shows me she has bad judgement and is a traitor. She has supported numerous Republicans that were total disgusting fools like Todd Brunning for governor but she would not support Trump. I dont like that one bit. I have always supported Jean Stothert but I don't know if I can anymore. She has shown bad judgement.
GetUrban
Planning Board

Post by GetUrban »

GRANDPASMUCKER wrote:
EATapodcast wrote:I went to Mr Mello's kickoff party last night. It was a very nice ordeal. How do you all feel about the two campaigns?

Mayor Stothert did not support Trump which shows me she has bad judgement and is a traitor. She has supported numerous Republicans that were total disgusting fools like Todd Brunning for governor but she would not support Trump. I dont like that one bit. I have always supported Jean Stothert but I don't know if I can anymore. She has shown bad judgement.
Not supporting Trump is actually a very good thing to me. It shows she can think on her own and not ignore her core values. The Omaha Mayor is an officially non-partisan office you know. She has been a better mayor than I had expected. But I'd give Heath Mello serious consideration also.
He said "They are some big, ugly red brick buildings"
...and then they were gone.
choke
Human Relations

Post by choke »

Omaha Mayor 2017
Attachments
heath.jpg
heath.jpg (7.33 KiB) Viewed 4385 times
mello.jpg
mello.jpg (11.29 KiB) Viewed 4385 times
choke
Human Relations

Post by choke »

Per Roseann Moring / World-Herald staff writer:

Omaha mayoral candidate Mello proposes 5-point plan to 'reinvent' City Hall, wants to make more info available online

Create an Office of Innovation and Performance Management and hire a Chief Innovation Officer. Mello said the culture of government doesn’t lend itself well to innovation and having a person in charge of it would help move the city forward.
Last edited by choke on Wed Dec 21, 2016 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Omaha does have maybe the worst city website I have ever come across. I dig a lot in cities of 30K for work and they are immensely better than Omaha's a city of over 400K.
choke
Human Relations

Post by choke »

Per Christopher Burbach / World-Herald staff writer:
Stothert takes heat from union president as Dan Olsen named Omaha fire chief
http://www.omaha.com/news/metro/stother ... 666d7.html
State Sen. Heath Mello, who’s running against Stothert for mayor, also criticized the choice.

“The mayor’s ‘my way or the highway’ approach has turned this routine hiring process into a purely political circus to get the one person she appointed interim fire chief back in April into the position of her choosing,” Mello said.

Noting that Stothert had tried in 2013 to remove civil service protection for the fire chief, Mello called the selection process “rigged.”

He said Stothert appeared to be incorrectly applying a part of city code that does not apply to promotions to sworn Fire Department positions.
But Stothert said she and other city officials followed city code to the letter.

“Heath Mello is uninformed about what is in city code,” she said, accusing Mello of politicizing the hiring. “He needs to get himself educated.”
We could have a barnburner in the spring.
choke
Human Relations

Post by choke »

Per KETV:
Omaha Mayor Jean Stothert requests release of official documents from mayoral candidate Senator Heath Mello
http://www.ketv.com/article/omaha-mayor ... lo/8546502
Nebraska Democratic Party chair Jane Kleeb said Thursday, the party has paid for the records it requested from Mayor Stothert, but has yet to receive them or get a date by which they will be provided.

"One of the things that concerns us that Stothert has not fulfilled our public records request on Conagra and HDR is that, we're now concerned that maybe she is hiding something. It's been six months, we've paid for the public records and we still don't have any information," Kleeb said.
Mayor Stothert's campaign responded to comments about the pending public records request for her emails. The campaign said, "The NDP made an extensive records request for city records, including the mayor's office pertaining to Conagra, HDR, Omaha performing arts and storz. The NDP made the required deposit in mid October. City staff has to date spent more than 100 hours complying with this request."
choke
Human Relations

Post by choke »

Per KETV channel 7:
Stothert answers Mello challenge for 7 debates
http://www.ketv.com/article/mello-chall ... es/8565682
In a response, Stothert communications director Dave Boomer said Mello's challenge was "nothing but an attempt to change the discussion from his refusal to make public any documents from his legislative term."
GRANDPASMUCKER
Human Relations

Post by GRANDPASMUCKER »

I could not believe my eyes when I saw Mayor Stothert claiming in todays paper that Omaha is not a Sanctuary City. The internet says Omaha is a sanctuary city. My eyes tell me this is a sanctuary city. If Mayor Stothert thinks we are going to sit back and watch her subvert Trump shes going to lose this next election bigely. :koko:
choke
Human Relations

Post by choke »

GRANDPASMUCKER wrote:I could not believe my eyes when I saw Mayor Stothert claiming in todays paper that Omaha is not a Sanctuary City. The internet says Omaha is a sanctuary city. My eyes tell me this is a sanctuary city. If Mayor Stothert thinks we are going to sit back and watch her subvert Trump shes going to lose this next election bigely. :koko:
Trump is a xenophobe and Stothert should have stood up for all the immigrant families that live here peacefully and contribute to the Omaha community. She should have said, "Dam* straight this is a sanctuary city!" This is a stupid argument anyway since we are all immigrants. So much for being a melting pot. I guess you're only welcome here if you have blonde hair and blue eyes.
Garrett
Planning Board

Post by Garrett »

GRANDPASMUCKER wrote:I could not believe my eyes when I saw Mayor Stothert claiming in todays paper that Omaha is not a Sanctuary City. The internet says Omaha is a sanctuary city. My eyes tell me this is a sanctuary city. If Mayor Stothert thinks we are going to sit back and watch her subvert Trump shes going to lose this next election bigely. :koko:
I'm sure you see every Hispanic family as one of them there illegals, based on yours eyes. I mean, really, we should believe everything we see on the Internet, especially the racist Cheeto's tweets.
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
GRANDPASMUCKER
Human Relations

Post by GRANDPASMUCKER »

Garrett wrote:
I'm sure you see every Hispanic family as one of them there illegals, based on yours eyes. I mean, really, we should believe everything we see on the Internet, especially the racist Cheeto's tweets.

While the mayor and you two jokers may be quite proud of the fact that Omaha is a haven for illegal aliens, I am embarrassed and humiliated and disgusted by it. One of the main reasons we voted Trump in was to see that immigration laws are enforced. Truthfully this is outrageous that we got people like the mayor and you taking it upon yourselves to decide which laws we will honored and which ones we will not.
NEDodger
Parks & Recreation

Post by NEDodger »

Amazing how enforcing border security is seen as "racist". Curious if you bleeding hearts make the same accusations of Canada and Australia? Sneak into Japan and think they're going to keep ya? Even Mexico has more stringent enforcement of their southern border than we do of ours. Darn racists!
choke
Human Relations

Post by choke »

NEDodger wrote:Amazing how enforcing border security is seen as "racist". Curious if you bleeding hearts make the same accusations of Canada and Australia? Sneak into Japan and think they're going to keep ya? Even Mexico has more stringent enforcement of their southern border than we do of ours. Darn racists!
I think everybody understands that an open border policy is bad. Nobody wants what happened recently in Boston or California but for a nation of immigrants to basically go the isolationism route seems to be opposite American values. I guess I am lucky Trump wasn't president when my great grandparents came over from Europe.

BTW, heres how Canada deals with immigration:
For A Stark Contrast To U.S. Immigration Policy, Try Canada
http://www.npr.org/sections/parallels/2 ... try-canada
GetUrban
Planning Board

Post by GetUrban »

NEDodger wrote:Amazing how enforcing border security is seen as "racist". Curious if you bleeding hearts make the same accusations of Canada and Australia? Sneak into Japan and think they're going to keep ya? Even Mexico has more stringent enforcement of their southern border than we do of ours. Darn racists!
Mexico is now considering relaxing their southern border enforcement and letting central american immigrants pass freely through Mexico to the U.S.A., in retaliation to Trump's new proposed policies. Also, if new tariffs or "border taxes" are imposed by Trump, resulting in economic catastrophe in Mexico, there may actually be more immigrants coming to the U.S.A.....something Trump says he wants to prevent.

Leave it to Trump to create new enemies out of our long-friendly neighboring countries. What an effing mess all you Trump voters have made possible. I hope you're happy now. And he's only been POTUS for a week! God help us all.
GRANDPASMUCKER
Human Relations

Post by GRANDPASMUCKER »

GetUrban wrote:
Mexico is now considering relaxing their southern border enforcement and letting central american immigrants pass freely through Mexico to the U.S.A., in retaliation to Trump's new proposed policies. Also, if new tariffs or "border taxes" are imposed by Trump, resulting in economic catastrophe in Mexico, there may actually be more immigrants coming to the U.S.A.....something Trump says he wants to prevent.

Leave it to Trump to create new enemies out of our long-friendly neighboring countries. What an effing mess all you Trump voters have made possible. I hope you're happy now. And he's only been POTUS for a week! God help us all.

I have paid thousands of dollars of my money through the restaurant tax so a bunch of greedy people and fools could build that baseball stadium downtown that sits empty 95% of the time. Do you think it would bother me one bit to pay a 20% more on goods from Mexico? At least if my taxes go for the Wall it would be for something we are in dire need of. This movement will not be stopped and if Mexico wants to be made an example of for the rest of the World to see were not playing around then so be it. My advice to Mexico would be to clean up its act fast.
BRoss
IT Director

Post by BRoss »

Yes, we are in dire need of that wall. Especially with that negative immigration we've been having with Mexico. :roll:

Grandpa - you are in the minority with your unjustified hate. No one truly wants that pointless wall. People who truly want in will get around it anyways just like they do now (a wall doesn't stop tunnels). It is ignorant to think anything Trump has proposed so far will make any kind of positive effect. But you fell for a demagogue so I guess I really shouldn't expect you to understand any rational arguments based on fact and logic.
GRANDPASMUCKER
Human Relations

Post by GRANDPASMUCKER »

HR Paperstacks wrote:Yes, we are in dire need of that wall. Especially with that negative immigration we've been having with Mexico. :roll:

Grandpa - you are in the minority with your unjustified hate. No one truly wants that pointless wall. People who truly want in will get around it anyways just like they do now (a wall doesn't stop tunnels). It is ignorant to think anything Trump has proposed so far will make any kind of positive effect. But you fell for a demagogue so I guess I really shouldn't expect you to understand any rational arguments based on fact and logic.
I do not believe the lying media especially Rachel Madow. What I do believe is that thousands of illegals will be pouring across the border in the Spring headed up North to take construction and landscaping jobs away from Americans. We need to send the National Guard down to the border right now to head them off until we get the wall built. We dont need the Mayor or any other city officials giving the illegals the idea that if they can make it to Omaha we will not send them back.
NEDodger
Parks & Recreation

Post by NEDodger »

choke wrote:
BTW, heres how Canada deals with immigration:
For A Stark Contrast To U.S. Immigration Policy, Try Canada
http://www.npr.org/sections/parallels/2 ... try-canada
You're right - the difference is that Canada allows people with skills into their country. The U.S. seems to be happy allowing in an unskilled, uneducated labor force so that we have stagnant wages. Do we have a shortage of people whose skills are best-suited to the fast food industry?:

http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/ne ... t-20160505
NEDodger
Parks & Recreation

Post by NEDodger »

GetUrban wrote:

"Long-friendly" country? They're "friendly" because we signed NAFTA, a debacle for us. They're "friendly" because they're able to dump the poorest and most unskilled into our country.

This is a country that considered joining the Axis Powers in World War Two. "Long-friendly"?

You're saying the problem result is that Mexico is going to start relaxing their southern border? So it's a GOOD thing when Mexico secures their southern border and a BAD thing when we do? Got it.

Yeah, benevolent Mexico.....you're killin' me.
GetUrban
Planning Board

Post by GetUrban »

NEDodger wrote:
GetUrban wrote:

"Long-friendly" country? They're "friendly" because we signed NAFTA, a debacle for us. They're "friendly" because they're able to dump the poorest and most unskilled into our country.

This is a country that considered joining the Axis Powers in World War Two. "Long-friendly"?

You're saying the problem result is that Mexico is going to start relaxing their southern border? So it's a GOOD thing when Mexico secures their southern border and a BAD thing when we do? Got it.

Yeah, benevolent Mexico.....you're killin' me.
Guess it depends on how you define "long". Mexico was one of our allies in WWII. Where did you find they considered joining the Axis? I couldn't find that one.

Certainly before 1848 they were our enemy when they lost 1/3 of their territory to the US.

It's just ironic that Trump's effort to strengthen our southern border may result in them weakening theirs in retaliation. The point is Trump's heavy-handed diplomacy and his insistence that Mexico pay for his wall is doing more harm than good and might cause Mexico to retaliate. Slapping border taxes on imports from Mexico will only cause them to do the same to their imports from the US. It will only hurt consumers in both countries. Mexico worked with the US to strengthen their southern border to help stop the flow of drugs to the US. If we're now just going to punish them and force them to pay for Trumps wall, they're going to say to h e l l with you. Farmers and states bordering Mexico seem to think NAFTA is a good thing....maybe scrapping it isn't such a good idea. How about adjusting whatever is not working, rather than blowing it up into a full scale crisis?
Trump's problem is he doesn't know what he doesn't know. It's our problem now.
bigredmed
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed »

Recently, they started deporting Cubans who they let in inorder to pass through into the US. When Obama closed the one dry foot standard for Cubans, Mexico booted them. Africans have been using g Mexico as a means of getting into the US illegally. Mexico has done nothing about this.

Not saying they are enemies, but they are not exactly friends either. Pretty much what works for the aristocracy of Mexico is what works. Guatamala is full of people that Mexico does the want to support, so they reasonably tighten their border. We want to do the same.
choke
Human Relations

Post by choke »

So, back to the topic: Per Roseann Moring / World-Herald staff writer:
Omaha's Stothert-Mello mayoral race looks to be competitive, costly
Many of Mello’s top donors last year were Republican business leaders who have had high-profile clashes with Stothert.
In particular, regarding Gottschalk, Bradford, Cassling and Yanney, Stothert said she’s had to make “difficult decisions” and tell them no.

“When I made those decisions it was always in the best interest of the Omaha taxpayers,” she said. “That’s the price of leadership.”
About Mello’s Republican donors, Stothert said: “Some people aren’t used to being told no. It’s much easier to say yes. I still think the right answer was no in these cases. If they’re angry about it, so be it.”
http://www.omaha.com/news/metro/omaha-s ... 0be15.html
choke
Human Relations

Post by choke »

Per Robynn Tysver / World-Herald staff writer:
Sheriff Tim Dunning endorses Heath Mello, says he blocks calls from former ally Mayor Jean Stothert
Dana Bradford, Michael Yanney, John Gottschalk and Michael Cassling — some of the city’s top GOP businessmen and philanthropists — have donated considerable sums of dollars to Mello, according to state financial reports.
I don't about Yanney, but I can guess why the others listed here aren't behind Stothert. And Gottschalk kills me. Did he purposefully wreck the HDR deal just to spite Stothert?
Taco
Human Relations

Post by Taco »

choke wrote:Per Robynn Tysver / World-Herald staff writer:
Sheriff Tim Dunning endorses Heath Mello, says he blocks calls from former ally Mayor Jean Stothert
Dana Bradford, Michael Yanney, John Gottschalk and Michael Cassling — some of the city’s top GOP businessmen and philanthropists — have donated considerable sums of dollars to Mello, according to state financial reports.
I don't about Yanney, but I can guess why the others listed here aren't behind Stothert. And Gottschalk kills me. Did he purposefully wreck the HDR deal just to spite Stothert?
Maybe his time working with Stothert on the HDR deal is what influenced him not to support her?
choke
Human Relations

Post by choke »

Taco wrote:
Maybe his time working with Stothert on the HDR deal is what influenced him not to support her?
I'm a patron of the Holland but the place leaves a bad taste in my mouth sometimes. It was imperative to have the land east of the Holland for expansion and not for parking. That land is going to sit as a grassy field for the next 15+ years.
Professor Woland
Library Board

Post by Professor Woland »

Based on her enemies, I think she deserves my vote!
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

choke wrote:
Taco wrote:
I'm a patron of the Holland but the place leaves a bad taste in my mouth sometimes. It was imperative to have the land east of the Holland for expansion and not for parking. That land is going to sit as a grassy field for the next 15+ years.
Bad taste? How so?
When fortune smiles on something as violent and ugly as revenge, it seems proof like no other that not only does God exist, you're doing his will.

The Bride
OmahaFan
Home Owners Association

Post by OmahaFan »

Personally I think Dunning is seeing the writing on the wall for the Douglas county Sheriff office. Currently the city is expanding at a increase rate westward. Soon the area's covered by the Douglas county sheriff's office will now be covered by the Omaha police department. Eventually Douglas county Sheriff office will have to think about merging the 2 Departments. Dunning has been quite resistant to that and vocal. This attack on Mayor Stothert is regrettable because I think Dunning was doing a alright job in the Sheriff's office , right now though I'm having my doubts about him staying in office. With the current issue with the Douglas county crime lab still dealing with the stain of that famous incident with the tainted evidence I think it would have been in the best interest of Douglas county Sheriff's office to merge the 2 crime labs into a independent crime lab at the UNMC. Eventually though the County will have to merge with the city's police department. I also think it's possibly time for a change in a Sheriff for Douglas county. I see Stothert has a mayor that get's things done and she is quite vocal when she needs to be. Which a Mayor should be. She's running a city for christ sakes and things need to get done. Plus I think Mellow promised Dunning something in return if he's elected. Just sounds like a "I scratch your back now you scratch my back" type of deal.
buildomaha
Human Relations

Post by buildomaha »

OmahaFan wrote:Personally I think Dunning is seeing the writing on the wall for the Douglas county Sheriff office. Currently the city is expanding at a increase rate westward. Soon the area's covered by the Douglas county sheriff's office will now be covered by the Omaha police department. Eventually Douglas county Sheriff office will have to think about merging the 2 Departments. Dunning has been quite resistant to that and vocal. This attack on Mayor Stothert is regrettable because I think Dunning was doing a alright job in the Sheriff's office , right now though I'm having my doubts about him staying in office. With the current issue with the Douglas county crime lab still dealing with the stain of that famous incident with the tainted evidence I think it would have been in the best interest of Douglas county Sheriff's office to merge the 2 crime labs into a independent crime lab at the UNMC. Eventually though the County will have to merge with the city's police department. I also think it's possibly time for a change in a Sheriff for Douglas county. I see Stothert has a mayor that get's things done and she is quite vocal when she needs to be. Which a Mayor should be. She's running a city for christ sakes and things need to get done. Plus I think Mellow promised Dunning something in return if he's elected. Just sounds like a "I scratch your back now you scratch my back" type of deal.
Why would we scrap a perfectly good crime lab at the Douglas County sheriff? Theres not a single reason to build a brand new crime lab when the one at the county sheriffs office is in perfectly good shape. Whether the two entities end up merging doesn't call for all new everything, thats just a waste of resources!
#gohawks
GRANDPASMUCKER
Human Relations

Post by GRANDPASMUCKER »

Stothert did not support Trump. She is in support of our city being a Sanctuary City haven and hideout for illegal aliens. Stother lied to us about repealing the restaurant tax. Stothert is in support of the bogus boondoggle Streetcar. She has turned into bad news and those people capable of thinking for themselves our probably going to hang her for it. Even though Mello is bad news with his support of the Sanctuary City and StreetCar he will probably win this election as many people will vote for him as a protest against Stothert. We needed another viable candidate unfortunately that has not happened.
OmahaFan
Home Owners Association

Post by OmahaFan »

The crime lab at UNMC would be much better then the one done by Douglas county even with there recent accreditation there is still a cloud over them that will never cease. Once you tamper with evidence to get a conviction that's a pretty major stain on a crime lab especially if it was done by someone who lead there team. Defense attorneys will use that for any evidence coming out of that Crime lab. Now the importance of a independent crime lab that's not run by a police department is that they literally have no stake in the case which mean's no pressure to align the evidence in a case where the evidence doesn't line up well. Also in regards to the merger while I don't think it will happen soon like 4 years might happen in 20 years. I still think it's good for merging some aspects of the Sheriff Dept with the City police department. Therefore when the time comes they won't have a major issue with merging.
OmahaFan
Home Owners Association

Post by OmahaFan »

GRANDPASMUCKER wrote:Stothert did not support Trump. She is in support of our city being a Sanctuary City haven and hideout for illegal aliens. Stother lied to us about repealing the restaurant tax. Stothert is in support of the bogus boondoggle Streetcar. She has turned into bad news and those people capable of thinking for themselves our probably going to hang her for it. Even though Mello is bad news with his support of the Sanctuary City and StreetCar he will probably win this election as many people will vote for him as a protest against Stothert. We needed another viable candidate unfortunately that has not happened.

In regards to Stothert not supporting Trump that really doesn't concern me and Omaha has never been a Sanctuary city that I know of. The Restaurant tax while annoying and quite pricey has allowed Omaha to fund the Police and Fire pension system and allowed the city to get more funds into the city Dept's to fund numerous project which help the community and the city as a whole. Also the Street car idea is a great idea and I don't think it's bogus in any sense in fact if we go through with the street car project I think we might in fact create a more vibrant Midtown hub which would produce new development along the street car's path. Omaha need's to embrace new ideas and develop the current transportation system to modern standards. If we keep looking on the negatives we will only hurt the City of Omaha and loose talented people to the bigger cities. Also with Omaha's aggressive annexation it provides a steady stream of income into the city to fund even more project's and increase the cities population size. We must not stop Omaha's growth westward we must steam ahead and grow until we hit the county lines then if possible annex over into another county and continue to expand. Omaha's growth is good for Nebraska as a whole.
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

GRANDPASMUCKER wrote:Stothert did not support Trump. She is in support of our city being a Sanctuary City haven and hideout for illegal aliens. Stother lied to us about repealing the restaurant tax. Stothert is in support of the bogus boondoggle Streetcar. She has turned into bad news and those people capable of thinking for themselves our probably going to hang her for it. Even though Mello is bad news with his support of the Sanctuary City and StreetCar he will probably win this election as many people will vote for him as a protest against Stothert. We needed another viable candidate unfortunately that has not happened.
Omaha is not a sanctuary city. Google it. She doesn't have to support Trump because she's a Republican. The neat thing about Stothert is that when asked if she was going to run for governor or Congress, she basically said heck no. That way, she can run the city the way it needs to be instead of trying to toe a party line to appease the people out west. She is arguably one of the better mayors we've had in recent memory.
When fortune smiles on something as violent and ugly as revenge, it seems proof like no other that not only does God exist, you're doing his will.

The Bride
GetUrban
Planning Board

Post by GetUrban »

RNcyanide wrote:
Omaha is not a sanctuary city. Google it. She doesn't have to support Trump because she's a Republican. The neat thing about Stothert is that when asked if she was going to run for governor or Congress, she basically said heck no. That way, she can run the city the way it needs to be instead of trying to toe a party line to appease the people out west. She is arguably one of the better mayors we've had in recent memory.
Good points. Not having her support Trump is a big positive in my opinion, and is more reflective of the way the majority of people in Omaha actually voted. I was skeptical of Stothert early on, but I admire they way she does not automatically do everything the non-elected power brokers in the city want her to do. She is independent when she needs to be. It means nothing to me that Sheriff Dunning or John Gottchalk chose not to endorse her. They only have one vote, like everybody else. I appreciate the way she seems to support historic preservation and is looking for ways, such as the streetcar plan, to enhance areas of the city in need of revitalization. I haven't read much about Mello yet, but hopefully people will make up their own minds on who they want to vote for and not base it solely on who endorses who.
GRANDPASMUCKER
Human Relations

Post by GRANDPASMUCKER »

GetUrban wrote:
RNcyanide wrote:
Good points. Not having her support Trump is a big positive in my opinion, and is more reflective of the way the majority of people in Omaha actually voted. I was skeptical of Stothert early on, but I admire they way she does not automatically do everything the non-elected power brokers in the city want her to do. She is independent when she needs to be. It means nothing to me that Sheriff Dunning or John Gottchalk chose not to endorse her. They only have one vote, like everybody else. I appreciate the way she seems to support historic preservation and is looking for ways, such as the streetcar plan, to enhance areas of the city in need of revitalization. I haven't read much about Mello yet, but hopefully people will make up their own minds on who they want to vote for and not base it solely on who endorses who.

Many regulars around this forum were fine and happy with Hillary and now they are fine and happy with Stothert. There may be a pattern here. Yes you guys have convinced me. Spoiler Alert!!!! Mello will be the next Mayor. :sly: